Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 10:23:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tron Legacy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tron Legacy  (Read 138347 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #245 on: December 21, 2010, 01:55:33 PM

DO NOT TAUNT THE MCGUFFIN.

"Me am play gods"
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: December 21, 2010, 01:58:10 PM

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:17:30 PM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: December 21, 2010, 02:56:28 PM

Now I get the feeling that the fiction doesn't know what the digital world actually is. Is it a parallel universe? Is it a whole computer universe in some way? Does it have access to the internet? Are these programs just programs from inside ENCOM or are they programs from everywhere? Is CLU dominating ENCOM or is he dominating all computing everywhere? What does that mean in real world terms? What are Isos, and where did they come from? Why were they a threat? What has Flynn been doing in there for however many centuries? What has CLU been doing? What did CLU intend to do?

Not to put too fine a point on it but literally every question you've asked here is answered in the film, most of them directly.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: December 21, 2010, 02:57:54 PM

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: December 21, 2010, 03:03:44 PM

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:05:49 PM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: December 21, 2010, 03:06:34 PM

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: December 21, 2010, 03:11:59 PM

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: December 21, 2010, 03:42:52 PM

[spoiler]Yeah at this point I think we're taunting the MacGuffin, and this MacGuffin taunts back.  ACK! [/quote]

lol I screwed up spoiler tags on something that didn't need spoilering anyway lol
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:10:56 PM by Slyfeind »

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: December 21, 2010, 03:45:34 PM

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/view/217768/Tron-Legacy-review-and-trailer

Its reviews like this, en masse, that make for the low review scores. I was wondering why the scores were so low. Then I realized that a bunch of idiots who aren't even trying to understand the movie are reviewing it.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #254 on: December 21, 2010, 04:43:25 PM

The Salon review is just as brutal, though a LOT longer. You can tell the author likes to hear himself pontificate a lot more than he likes to think.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #255 on: December 21, 2010, 05:48:00 PM

The Salon review is just as brutal, though a LOT longer. You can tell the author likes to hear himself pontificate a lot more than he likes to think.

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=147425&title=single-female-lawyer

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: December 21, 2010, 09:33:27 PM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: December 21, 2010, 09:39:19 PM

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: December 21, 2010, 10:28:15 PM

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: December 21, 2010, 11:35:31 PM

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: December 21, 2010, 11:36:35 PM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: December 22, 2010, 12:19:28 AM

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:30:26 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: December 22, 2010, 12:37:42 AM

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: December 22, 2010, 12:47:12 AM

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:59:40 AM by Lorekeep »

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: December 22, 2010, 01:34:33 AM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: December 22, 2010, 01:37:30 AM

Sorry, my understanding of non-human biology is a bit limited. I forgot fruit is technically alive as a plant. I assume all living things have DNA?

Too tired for a proper answer, will see what the morning brings.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: December 22, 2010, 04:04:09 AM

I assume all living things have DNA?

Yes.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: December 22, 2010, 08:24:52 AM

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/12/22/

FAR BETTER QUESTIONS!

I'm kinda tired of nerding out after reading that. Haha.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: December 22, 2010, 09:25:09 AM

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:31:35 AM by Lorekeep »

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: December 22, 2010, 10:23:59 AM

TOO MUCH PONTIFICATION

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: December 22, 2010, 01:11:21 PM

On of the things daddy Flynn mentioned in his babbles was quantum teleportation, which could pull off a matter to information transfer.  The minor caveat being that anyone teleported in that manner would be instantly killed.  Quantum teleportation requires the destruction of the matter being affected, as the only way to "read" a particle's quantum state is to crack that sucker open.  So, sure, a version of you would appear on the digital grid to have exciting adventures, but the original you would be all kinds of dead.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: December 22, 2010, 02:30:48 PM

That's a good plot device. Someone gets transported to the grid and their matter is lost. They can't get out, and trying to mess with the tech would risk losing permanent access to the real world.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #272 on: December 22, 2010, 03:49:40 PM

Maybe next you guys can debate Weird Science and the logistics of making a person with magical powers with your computer.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: December 22, 2010, 04:55:58 PM

Just saw it.

Liked it.

You can't go wrong with a movie scored by Daft Punk, co-starring Daft Punk imho.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: December 23, 2010, 12:09:40 AM

Maybe next you guys can debate Weird Science and the logistics of making a person with magical powers with your computer.

Or we could bitch about MMOGs in great detail.  awesome, for real

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: December 23, 2010, 05:24:21 AM

Next?
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: December 23, 2010, 09:45:01 AM

I'd just like to say thanks to Lorekeep for managing to get down in text so many of the things that have been flying through my head since I left the cinema last friday. It's a superb movie with some really outstanding techno philosophy in the undertow and a plot that just seems to be way too subtle for the majority of idiot reviewers out there that focussed only on the sheen and never even tried to engage their brains.

Massawyrm from AICN is one of the very few out there who actually gets it, man. It's a Disney movie. Entertainment for everyone. First and foremost. That doesn't mean it doesn't have anything to say, though.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: December 23, 2010, 10:12:31 AM

Saw it last night. Thought it was "meh". The Penny Arcade comic summed a lot of it up.
The food thing broke immersion for me, why would you even need food in a digital world?
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: December 23, 2010, 10:34:18 AM

You think that's air they're breathing?

Like making programs into humans, the world was likely designed to make it acceptable to a human brain's needs. Their brain *thinks* it needs oxygen and food (part of its programming!), so they create a representation of it to satisfy the brain.

Imagine if they were able to break the *core* programming of their brain and went back into the real world. Spending the rest of your life having to physically make yourself breathe and never knowing when you're hungry until you collapse because you have no energy.

Thanks Mattemeo. ^^

So, some summation points and new discoveries:

Facepalm I fix't spoilers.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:35:20 AM by Lorekeep »

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: December 23, 2010, 11:18:39 AM

Spoliers?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tron Legacy  
Jump to: