Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 06:46:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now.  (Read 302297 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: July 25, 2010, 04:32:09 PM

Any word on if they'll grow some nads and include some DC Vertigo stuff?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: July 25, 2010, 05:41:39 PM

I guess so, dude took out Green Lantern, Flash and Cyborg and survived what looked like a nuclear explosion that he himself caused.  Is the character creator going to be anywhere near Champions or APB levels? the idea of getting a set of armor from your mentor makes me think this is going to be more like WoW type armor sets than a premade character look.

I got the impression that the armour is going to be a set appearance derived from (or possibly even some copy of) that mentor's look. Also Black Adam is basically evil Capt. Marvel, Supes level strength and speed but a magical power source, the nuke was him speaking his magic word, that grants it with a lightning strike. I'm kind of annoyed at armoured Flash though just because the dude is already dealing with super speed friction, the armour can only be cosmetic. Of course if that was the smallest lore issue with the whole game I doubt it would be any fun to play at all.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #352 on: July 25, 2010, 06:24:46 PM

Apparently if you go through that trailer frame by frame you can see Green Arrow's corpse and that Harley Quinn is wearing Robin's cape.

As for character customisation: DCUO has to have been watching CoH/V and ChampO. They know a robust character creator is a basic part of the superhero MMO. Won't be as good as APB, but should still be pretty versatile (although early comments were that certain costumes would be locked to certain origins, like magic outfits for magic-based characters).

Also, you can equip armour loot and then choose to disable the appearance of it, EQ2 style.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: July 25, 2010, 06:45:15 PM

Green arrows corpse was pretty blatant, no need to go frame by frame.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #354 on: July 26, 2010, 11:30:59 AM

Cool fight scene at least. OMG Joker sounds like Mark Hamill and Batman sounds like Kevin Conroy, etc!

The Joker sounded ok, but Batman sounded like someone trying to mimic Conroy without having Conroy's talent.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: July 26, 2010, 11:57:52 AM

But it is him.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #356 on: July 26, 2010, 12:06:17 PM

Then he really phoned it in.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: July 26, 2010, 05:01:54 PM

Or he's getting old. He's been voicing Batman for 15 years, or just about.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: July 26, 2010, 10:09:46 PM

DCUO does one heck of an intro cinematic.

However, this makes 3 superhero MMOs from 3 that appear to kick off with an alien invasion as the primary threat.

I thought that was excellent. Cautiously looking forward to this one.

Hic sunt dracones.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: July 27, 2010, 05:20:59 AM

DCUO does one heck of an intro cinematic.

However, this makes 3 superhero MMOs from 3 that appear to kick off with an alien invasion as the primary threat.

I thought that was excellent. Cautiously looking forward to this one.

ITS A TRAP!
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: July 27, 2010, 08:27:31 AM

It's an intro cinematic. Don't get excited about that. Warhammer had a good one, too.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #361 on: July 27, 2010, 10:02:22 AM

It's an intro cinematic. Don't get excited about that. Warhammer had a good one, too.

This man speaks the truth.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: July 27, 2010, 10:13:47 AM

Good trailer, was exciting.  If I draw anything from that it's, "cool, they care enough about this game to hire someone really good to create their trailers, hopefully they also care about their game".
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: July 29, 2010, 05:18:39 PM

Any word on if they'll grow some nads and include some DC Vertigo stuff?

Sounds fun but what could they put in? The Vertigo comics don't have many heroes that win battles by punching people.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: July 29, 2010, 05:30:42 PM

Giganta, as usual, has a walk-on role. I'm not even sure what she was doing there except for "I'm going to walk idly in a war zone and get FLATTENED ON MY ASS LOL I HAVE GIANT TITS"

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: August 02, 2010, 12:05:39 AM

Giganta, as usual, has a walk-on role. I'm not even sure what she was doing there except for "I'm going to walk idly in a war zone and get FLATTENED ON MY ASS LOL I HAVE GIANT TITS"

How did Giganta ever survive if one energy blast kills her?  She is rather a large target. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: August 02, 2010, 01:24:26 AM

How did Giganta ever survive if one energy blast kills her?  She is rather a large target. 

I thought she had a thing with Gorilla Grodd...

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: August 02, 2010, 07:07:49 AM

How did Giganta ever survive if one energy blast kills her?  She is rather a large target.  

Well to be fair to her it looked like the battle was well underway at that point.  Something had to flatten the city and Green Arrow was already toast.  What bugged me is that the heroes fared horribly in the fight.  Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Batman and Cyborg only manage to take out Giganta, the Joker killed the only other bad guy with his rocket.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:02:04 AM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: August 02, 2010, 07:43:18 AM

Every "we desperately need your help"/What-If plot has the heroes losing horribly.

There's not much call for help from Peace World 001.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: August 02, 2010, 09:41:12 AM

Every "we desperately need your help"/What-If plot has the heroes losing horribly.

There's not much call for help from Peace World 001.

Heh. Maybe they have a jar that needs opening! Couch moved! Cat up in tree! Peace World 001 is more stressful than you think...
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: August 02, 2010, 11:03:29 AM

Nope.  In these worlds, the mad scientists have banded together to solve all those everyday problems.  Robotic furniture movers!  Rubber jar grips!  Ladders!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: August 02, 2010, 12:00:51 PM

Nope.  In these worlds, the mad scientists have banded together to solve all those everyday problems.  Robotic furniture movers!  Rubber jar grips!  Ladders!

Damn those mad scientists! They've made the world predictable! Mundane! Boring! Our citizens need excitement! So the heck with heroes, they need villains!
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: August 07, 2010, 10:09:05 AM

So, there was an interesting reveal at the Fan Faire.  If you have never ever followed the history of MMO development, ever, prepare to replace your shattered monocle.

- ORIGINALLY: 10 powers, each with a possible Meta, Magic, or Gadget origin (I.e., you could be a fire wizard, a fire meta, or a guy shooting a fire gun)

- NOW:  6 powers.  Fire, Ice, Mental, Nature, Gadgets, and Sorcery.  Beyond the obvious that 6 is less than 10, see what they did there?

They were pimping Electric, Earth, and Light constructs (think Green Lantern) at every demo until now, but there has been a recent "massive overhaul" in the game's design  Ohhhhh, I see.

Also, a level cap at release of 30.

EDIT:  Release is Nov. 2, in case it wasn't obvious from the above
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:15:25 AM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: August 07, 2010, 10:45:27 AM

- ORIGINALLY: 10 powers, each with a possible Meta, Magic, or Gadget origin (I.e., you could be a fire wizard, a fire meta, or a guy shooting a fire gun)

- NOW:  6 powers.  Fire, Ice, Mental, Nature, Gadgets, and Sorcery.  Beyond the obvious that 6 is less than 10, see what they did there?

ACK!

Not surprisingly, but 6 really standard power sets is not going to cut it.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: August 07, 2010, 01:33:42 PM

The really stupid thing about that is when you start trying to classify DC heroes into those six groups, and find out that the majority don't even make sense.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: August 07, 2010, 05:42:49 PM

And in all probability the majority of the powers are similar in operation and differ mainly in animation and visual appearance. So all of them will have bolts, holds, stuns and maybe one or two unique functions. Certainly the guy demonstrating mental powers in the video was spending most of his time shooting headache bolts and demonstrated a "mental force sphere" to hold an opponent.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: August 07, 2010, 05:49:10 PM

No super strength brawler type in there? What?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: August 07, 2010, 05:56:29 PM

No super strength brawler type in there? What?

Yeah, I thought that was noticeably absent as well. Maybe "nature" means "Natural ability?" (strong/fast/whatever?) Thats pushing it I know.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #378 on: August 07, 2010, 09:20:33 PM

You'll see! They'll add in stats and that will fix everything!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

EDIT: Watched the video:

- 10 weapon types, each with combo trees. Combos restore your power (endurance) you use to activate superpowers. Includes dual pistols.

- Each of those six power sets has two 'trees'.

- Iconic powers include heat vision, cold breath, GL shield bubble.

- Skill trees offer movement power advantages and other benefits. Contained within weapon trees (?). Achieve 'feats' (i.e Achievements) to buy weapon types.

- Defender, healer, controller roles, but "everybody fights" (has to fight to build combos that fuel powers).

- Travel powers are still flight, acrobatics and superspeed. You can upgrade them.

- The Big 6 are: Lex Luthor, Joker, Circe, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman. These characters are head of each origin (meta, tech, magic) for each side, and your origin picks your 'mentor' (which of the 6 your character story is most heavily involved with).

- Episodic content i.e story arcs. Plus end game content, groups, raids, alert zones (open missions that TP players into an instanced zone).

- PvP: open rule allowing players to flag their status. PvP raid experiences available. Legends PvP sees you pick pre-existing DC characters and fight it out.

- Major cities are Gotham and Metropolis. Seamless zones.

- "Business decisions are still to be made".

- Travel power 'race' mini-game.

- Launching with level 30 cap.

ADDITIONAL FROM SOMEONE WHO SAYS THE WERE THERE:

- Fire and Ice are Tank powers. Nature and Sorcery are Healing powers. Mental and Gadgets are Controlling powers. Every character gets DPS.

- UI is still the subject of a lot of work.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 05:10:49 AM by UnSub »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: August 08, 2010, 07:59:33 AM

Best way to sum this game up is that it has me looking forward to the first month - but I have no expectation of subscribing whatsoever.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: August 08, 2010, 12:47:33 PM

I will not be the least bit surprised if Batman / Joker are the highest of the high when it comes to people picking up them as master.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: August 09, 2010, 04:57:42 AM

This sounds pretty awful to be honest.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #382 on: August 09, 2010, 05:29:53 AM

It's not really a crowd puller to be honest, unless you can be a member of Batman's Outsiders or Green Lantern Corps.
This one's pretty much going under the radar unless they can show something that make City of Heroes look outdated. If all they have to show for is IP, then I'll wait for Arkham Asylum 2 instead.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #383 on: August 09, 2010, 05:58:49 PM

They've been riding the IP hard for a while now as their key selling point.

I had a thought the other night that although it is launching on both the PC and PS3, they are treating it more like a console title release than a PC MMO release. Although I'm sure SOE wouldn't mind if DCUO sold (and maintained) big numbers on the PC, I get the impression the real focus is on the question, "can a PS3 MMO get and keep console players?".

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: August 16, 2010, 02:48:08 AM

Nope.  In these worlds, the mad scientists have banded together to solve all those everyday problems.  Robotic furniture movers!  Rubber jar grips!  Ladders!

Lol. Oh Lantyssa, you're too much. This post made my think of some Dr. Robotnic, with some crazy Rube Goldberg machine with lots of spinning wheels and crazy extendo arms, just to get him the mayonaise out of the fridge.

NOW:  6 powers.  Fire, Ice, Mental, Nature, Gadgets, and Sorcery.  Beyond the obvious that 6 is less than 10, see what they did theree?

- The Big 6 are: Lex Luthor, Joker, Circe, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman. These characters are head of each origin (meta, tech, magic) for each side, and your origin picks your 'mentor' (which of the 6 your character story is most heavily involved with).

WTF power does superman fit into here? Or does being from a planet with a heavier sun count as 'nature'?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:52:13 AM by Ashamanchill »

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now.  
Jump to: