Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:48:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1309707 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4795 on: September 18, 2012, 05:53:51 PM

I enjoyed 1, but 2 was a slog-fest.  It's the writing style that jumps all around; I just can't read it.  That, and any character I became mildly interested in will die three chapters later, so I just kinda gave up. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4796 on: September 18, 2012, 06:57:35 PM

2 was very weak in comparison to the first. 3 was better by an order of magnitude. I found that 2 worked better with the changes they made to the TV show than it did in book form.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4797 on: September 18, 2012, 11:46:03 PM

I sorta skimmed through books 6-9 of WoT and then read a bit more in depth in the last ones, all to get ready for January.

Damn you people!  awesome, for real

But anyway, I doubt it.  I takes a whole fucking lot to rile me up.  I mean, I have read all 12 of the Wheel of Times books, all the Sword of Truth books and even all the Drizzt books.  Maybe I just like crappy books, actually. 
I'm so very sorry for you.  Really, really sorry.  I couldn't even get through one of those.  The Drizz't books are just pure pulp though.  I loved them as a kid but the thought of reading them now just kind of makes me cringe for all the cliches in them. 

Yeah, the thing about the Sword of Truth books...he was terrible at coherent plots and uses a lot of ridiculous plot devices to advance his stories (and then conveniently abandoning them when he needed to create tension)...but I actually really liked several of his characters.  It was like finding little lumps of gold into giant, stinking piles of shit.

The Drizzt books - yeah, I actually like them, I will admit.  Horribly derivitive and cliched as you say, but again I liked some of the characters.  And that guy can write swordfighting scenes like nobody else, and I fucking LOVE me some swordfighting scenes.  He is good at writing battle in general, I thought.  I imagine I will actually re-read these at some point.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4798 on: September 19, 2012, 12:00:25 AM

Are the Sword of Truth ones the libertarian nutbag or am I thinking of something else?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4799 on: September 19, 2012, 03:15:56 AM

That's right. It doesn't show so much in the early books though.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4800 on: September 19, 2012, 07:09:37 AM

That's right. It doesn't show so much in the early books though.

I umm.. I only read the first one and it was too much... You just blew my mind.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4801 on: September 19, 2012, 07:42:39 AM

There was libertarianism in the first book?  I was probably distracted by all the leather and S&M. awesome, for real
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4802 on: September 19, 2012, 07:44:06 AM

Wait, is this the books that got made into a bad TV series and featured a blonde assasin woman with red leather ?

I liked looking at stills of that show.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4803 on: September 19, 2012, 07:53:13 AM

Hah, yep that's the one.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4804 on: September 19, 2012, 09:23:17 AM

There was libertarianism in the first book?  I was probably distracted by all the leather and S&M. awesome, for real

The Randian wankfest stuff doesn't really get turned up to 11 for the first couple books. But it is there.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4805 on: September 19, 2012, 09:38:21 AM

I sorta skimmed through books 6-9 of WoT and then read a bit more in depth in the last ones, all to get ready for January.

Damn you people!  awesome, for real

But anyway, I doubt it.  I takes a whole fucking lot to rile me up.  I mean, I have read all 12 of the Wheel of Times books, all the Sword of Truth books and even all the Drizzt books.  Maybe I just like crappy books, actually. 
I'm so very sorry for you.  Really, really sorry.  I couldn't even get through one of those.  The Drizz't books are just pure pulp though.  I loved them as a kid but the thought of reading them now just kind of makes me cringe for all the cliches in them. 

Yeah, the thing about the Sword of Truth books...he was terrible at coherent plots and uses a lot of ridiculous plot devices to advance his stories (and then conveniently abandoning them when he needed to create tension)...but I actually really liked several of his characters.  It was like finding little lumps of gold into giant, stinking piles of shit.

The Drizzt books - yeah, I actually like them, I will admit.  Horribly derivitive and cliched as you say, but again I liked some of the characters.  And that guy can write swordfighting scenes like nobody else, and I fucking LOVE me some swordfighting scenes.  He is good at writing battle in general, I thought.  I imagine I will actually re-read these at some point.
I haven't tried to reread them in a long time actually, wonder how that would go?  I really liked the whole concept behind a dark elf going against this upbringing and culture to be a good guy and at first they were interesting books, but then it got popular and became his cash cow that was milked to death.  It was annoying to see something that was a good concept get pimped out like that.  Now I'm curious to see how many of those books I do still have.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4806 on: September 19, 2012, 10:35:54 AM

I love the Drizzt books.  I actually just started the reading the new Neverwinter books and am enjoying them.  Salvatore is just fun easy reading, but he makes you care about his main characters.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #4807 on: September 19, 2012, 12:24:30 PM

I agree - the original Drizzt books are perfectly fine.  They're rough and breezy, but charming.  TSR hadn't cracked down on the gore/nudity yet, either, which helps.  The next three (Dark Elf trilogy or whatever it's called) are ok.  I decide to cut my losses there and not read any of the others and sully my liking for the characters.  tongue

Sword of Truth - I read the first one and decided it was the worst fantasy book I have ever read, and I have read a lot of terrible books.  I keep threatening to lend it to Ingmar, but he has thus far wisely refused.   I read it every once in a while to use it as inspiration whenever I feel like writing my own terrible stories, in a 'jesus, at least they're not this bad' kind of way.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4808 on: September 19, 2012, 12:41:52 PM

The Sword of Truth was pretty bad.  I read a few of them, but don't recall anything much about them.  My wife read them, I think to be a completionist, but she's still reading Terry Brooks' Shannara stuff as it comes out.  

I honestly don't remember anything about libertarianism in the Sword of Truth novels, but then again I don't look for it so maybe it was there.  I'm actually halfway interested in re-reading it now to see if its really there.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4809 on: September 19, 2012, 06:08:52 PM

The Sword of Truth was pretty bad.  I read a few of them, but don't recall anything much about them.  My wife read them, I think to be a completionist, but she's still reading Terry Brooks' Shannara stuff as it comes out.  

I honestly don't remember anything about libertarianism in the Sword of Truth novels, but then again I don't look for it so maybe it was there.  I'm actually halfway interested in re-reading it now to see if its really there.

I really can't remember it well as it has been a while, but I think from about 'mud people' onwards I was constantly cringing. I'm not sure I was familiar with 'libertarianism' as a word then, but my hindsight makes the association.

"Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid." Richard and Kahlan frowned even more. "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

swamp poop
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4810 on: September 19, 2012, 08:28:17 PM

You know, I read stuff like that and think, "it's a book".  I felt the same way about Atlas Shrugged.  It's a book of fiction.  So many people get worked up about that stuff and it's really just not worth my time. 

That doesn't mean that I think the Sword of Truth was good, however.  I couldn't make it past book 3.   why so serious?  I remember it having an awfully strong "emo" feel to it. 
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4811 on: September 19, 2012, 10:17:37 PM

Yeah, not getting worked up but not reading any more of the books sums up my response. Just thought it odd that some didn't notice it in the first book as it seemed strong to me. Each to their own and all that.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4812 on: September 19, 2012, 10:59:45 PM

Wait, is this the books that got made into a bad TV series and featured a blonde assasin woman with red leather ?

I liked looking at stills of that show.

The hotness of the women in the TV series is probably what made me read the books in the first place.  Soooooo hot.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4813 on: September 20, 2012, 01:32:41 AM

Didn't they shoe in Charisma Carpenter in there at some point as a lesbian red leather wearing love interest ?

Again, I haven't seen the show or read the books, but the trailers always interest me strangely.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4814 on: September 20, 2012, 03:31:02 AM

Yeah, that they did.  But to be blunt with you, it was Tabrett Bethell - who plays a regular red leather clad dominatrix type in season 2 - who really steals the scenes.  That was one hot chick.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4815 on: September 20, 2012, 03:53:23 AM

She was the blonde I mentioned I think ?

Or was there ANOTHER one ?

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4816 on: September 20, 2012, 04:24:53 AM

There were several women in the red leather!  I don't remember Charisma Carpenter in there other than maybe a few minutes in an episode or two.  Not noteworthy.

There was also Denna, played by Jessica Marais.  She was in several episodes, and was also particulary bone-worthy.  It is possible you are thinking about her.  But Tabrett stole the show in more ways than one.  Just painfully hot.

And this avoids the subject of Bridget Regan, who plays one of the main characters.  So plump, so yummy.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4817 on: September 20, 2012, 07:19:33 AM

Yeah, not getting worked up but not reading any more of the books sums up my response. Just thought it odd that some didn't notice it in the first book as it seemed strong to me. Each to their own and all that.

Yeah, I wasn't saying that you were.  I was more thinking about the frothing anger that Atlas Shrugged seems to cause in a couple of my friends.  I think it's pretty funny, myself. 
WayAbvPar

Reply #4818 on: September 20, 2012, 09:01:25 AM

People are praising the Drizz't books. I think I am done with this thread. Jesus wept.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4819 on: September 20, 2012, 10:27:09 AM

People are praising the Drizz't books. I think I am done with this thread. Jesus wept.
Uh, I don't think anyone is praising the books so much as saying they enjoyed them.  There is a difference.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4820 on: September 20, 2012, 11:23:51 AM

I'll say this: they were much better than the Dragonlance ones.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4821 on: September 20, 2012, 12:32:52 PM

Uh, I don't think anyone is praising the books so much as saying they enjoyed them.  There is a difference.

Yeah they aren't literary masterpieces, but they are fun easy reads.  Its also way nostalgic for me as a D&D and Forgotten Realms DM. 
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4822 on: September 20, 2012, 01:27:27 PM

I'll say this: they were much better than the Dragonlance ones.

Cancer.  I'd rather have it than AIDS.

I loved both those books when I was young.  I grew up.   Heartbreak

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4823 on: September 20, 2012, 02:00:03 PM

If you're expecting any fantasy to be Hemingway or Faulkner you're in for a serious disappointment. 
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #4824 on: September 20, 2012, 02:18:41 PM

Yep - if you restrict yourself to literary masterpieces of fantasy, you'll be out of books before Christmas.  If you're a slow reader.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4825 on: September 20, 2012, 02:30:41 PM

Oh, I dunno, I read The Black Company.

And it was fairly shite.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4826 on: September 20, 2012, 03:52:14 PM

Have I said they new Alex Bledsoe Eddie Lacrosse books are good?

Because they're pretty good.

Midnight Kingdom was an interesting read. I'd recommend it. It's not pyrotechnic, but it has stuck with me a little.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4827 on: September 20, 2012, 03:52:45 PM

Oh, I dunno, I read The Black Company.

And it was fairly shite.

You shut your Scottish mouth...... Shaking fist
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4828 on: September 21, 2012, 06:34:05 AM

I don't put a lot of books down early; the Sword of Truth I may have made it 10% of the way in before ditching it. Wretched.

Reading the second Eric Flint (now with 100% more David Weber!) time travel fantasy book, 1633. These are fun books. I'm not real picky. Which is what makes it remarkable that Goodkin utterly repulsed me for some reason, especially as I have libertarian leanings (except the anarchy parts). One of my favorite light fantasy authors, Modesitt, did the same thing with the one-off Haze.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4829 on: September 24, 2012, 12:50:26 AM

Latest Culture novel (Hydrogen Sonata) dropped early in the U.S.  I had it pre-ordered and it just shipped today instead of in mid-October as originally scheduled. Just FYI for those interested.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: