Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 04:55:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Funny picture thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 459 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Funny picture thread  (Read 3840218 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8960 on: October 10, 2012, 01:32:46 AM

Now that made me laugh.  Nothing like realising you're throwing your life away.

(though probably the real story is his chemo is making him ill as he marries his one true love for the remaining six months he has left.)

Also, Lant, you made me laugh HARD with your comment.  I also have to ask, what kind of D&D session lasts half an hour ?  Are they just going to be tugging it under the table rather than rolling characters ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #8961 on: October 10, 2012, 02:09:45 AM

Well, if they're like most guys, they'll fail their grapple checks, blow everything in the first encounter, and then want to make camp for the night.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:10:05 AM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8962 on: October 10, 2012, 05:52:06 AM

Eh, I am not overstating anthing. That's why I was carefull to use the term web rather than internet. Berners-Lee authored HTML and wrote both the first server software and the first browser. And then got the actual first server running. So there definitely was no web as we know it before him.

Citation:
Quote from: Wikipedia
Berners-Lee specified HTML and wrote the browser and server software in the last part of 1990.

Your first quote should read Tim Berners-Lee wrote the first HTTP Server and Client software.  The physical network of servers and clients existed long before he started running his software on it.  Thus the 'web' is not the property of CERN, that specific piece of server hardware is/was the property of CERN.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8963 on: October 10, 2012, 07:34:01 AM

Eh, I am not overstating anthing. That's why I was carefull to use the term web rather than internet. Berners-Lee authored HTML and wrote both the first server software and the first browser. And then got the actual first server running. So there definitely was no web as we know it before him.

Citation:
Berners-Lee specified HTML and wrote the browser and server software in the last part of 1990.

Your first quote should read Tim Berners-Lee wrote the first HTTP Server and Client software.  The physical network of servers and clients existed long before he started running his software on it.  Thus the 'web' is not the property of CERN, that specific piece of server hardware is/was the property of CERN.

And here is where we fully realize we are in the rabbit hole.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #8964 on: October 10, 2012, 10:30:33 AM

Citation:

Your first quote should read Tim Berners-Lee wrote the first HTTP Server and Client software.  The physical network of servers and clients existed long before he started running his software on it.  Thus the 'web' is not the property of CERN, that specific piece of server hardware is/was the property of CERN.

1) That was a direct, unaltered quote from the Wiki article about the WWW. I specified TWICE that I was talking about the web/hypertext protocol not internet per se. This being a somewhat tech-savy site I am pretty sure that everyone is at least vaguely aware the history of the Internet dates as far back as 1969, so from the context it was clear that I meant web-server.

Which was THE major ground-breaking invention.  Ask a random person to describe the internet and they are almost guaranteed to talk about browsing and websites and not IRC, telnet, newsgroup and the other services that existed before the invention of the web.

2) “Also, the web is 'propriete CERN'! *chauvinistic grin*” That statement was obviously sarcasm. I apologise for not formatting it in green text.

3) Obligatory picture:

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:32:32 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8965 on: October 10, 2012, 10:41:10 AM

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #8966 on: October 10, 2012, 09:34:13 PM

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #8967 on: October 11, 2012, 06:20:57 AM

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8968 on: October 11, 2012, 07:02:18 AM

That amuses me more than it should.  I suspect someone's getting a punch in the dick for that one though.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8969 on: October 11, 2012, 07:27:53 AM

I... why?

Yes, that's dumb.  Provide her own books?  Sheesh.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #8970 on: October 11, 2012, 09:53:34 AM

While that is amusing in its own right, is there some context that I may be missing here?

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #8971 on: October 11, 2012, 10:33:51 AM

While that is amusing in its own right, is there some context that I may be missing here?

Looks like backstage security cam footage of AKB48 (a Japanese idol band).

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8972 on: October 11, 2012, 11:20:20 AM

Looks like backstage security cam footage of AKB48 (a Japanese idol band).

I don't really care what it is... just wondering why I am not there.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #8973 on: October 11, 2012, 11:53:55 AM

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #8974 on: October 11, 2012, 12:00:31 PM

Maybe it thought the paramedic was a quack.   why so serious?

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8975 on: October 11, 2012, 12:01:29 PM

Nah, he had AFLAC.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8976 on: October 11, 2012, 12:09:50 PM

That reminds me of this story of a llama accidentally killing her owner:
The report says Lanahan called for help Tuesday after a llama named Baby Doll slipped on wet grass while running to greet her and knocked her down, causing her to hit her head on concrete. It says there's no evidence the llama was acting maliciously.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #8977 on: October 11, 2012, 03:09:13 PM

Spoilered for length.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #8978 on: October 11, 2012, 03:12:49 PM

Made better by your "Welcome to the internet pussy" quote.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #8979 on: October 11, 2012, 06:44:24 PM

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA OMFG   Heart Heart Heart Heart

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8980 on: October 12, 2012, 01:00:03 AM

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #8981 on: October 12, 2012, 05:22:09 PM

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #8982 on: October 12, 2012, 11:20:12 PM

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #8983 on: October 13, 2012, 07:16:28 AM

If I hadn't been reading the X-Com thread that wouldn't be nearly as funny  awesome, for real
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #8984 on: October 13, 2012, 07:28:37 AM

So, are we just laughing at the fact he only just seems to be grasping that reloading saves wont work with XCOM, or something else?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #8985 on: October 13, 2012, 08:03:47 AM

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #8986 on: October 13, 2012, 08:42:02 AM

So, are we just laughing at the fact he only just seems to be grasping that reloading saves wont work with XCOM, or something else?

I was thinking of the last sentence, that decries all games that make use of random numbers in any fashion. Or basically, almost every game.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8987 on: October 13, 2012, 10:05:25 AM

They do work, you just can perform the same action right after reloading.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #8988 on: October 13, 2012, 10:33:02 AM

They do work, you just can perform the same action right after reloading.
Hmm. I can see it two ways -- depends on whether reloading creates a new seed or not.

Eh, most people don't get how RNG's and computers work anyways. (Although reading about how the online poker games supposedly create their random noises is interesting. A friend of mine, back in the 90s, hacked something similar together using a salaved supermarket scanner laser and a lava-lamp. It was amusing as hell. I can't recall what he wanted the random numbers for....)
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #8989 on: October 13, 2012, 11:53:59 AM

Just his 'I want to go through the game without losing a soldier' mentality is facepalm worthy.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #8990 on: October 13, 2012, 12:21:20 PM

Just his 'I want to go through the game without losing a soldier' mentality is facepalm worthy.

Why? A good 68%[1] of players of the original X-COM used the 'reload on death' method.

[1]Source
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:24:32 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #8991 on: October 13, 2012, 12:39:09 PM

Yeah, I'm fairly similar.  If anything other than a random new recruit died, I'd reload on original XCOM.  Trying to break myself of that habit on this new version, since its a bit easier to replace people, but I can still sympathize with the mentality.  I'm attempting Iron man games to get myself in the groove, but at the rate things are going, I'm probably going back to my standard game where I just reloaded if anybody important was killed on a mission.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8992 on: October 13, 2012, 01:24:06 PM

Why? A good 68%[1] of players of the original X-COM used the 'reload on death' method.

[1]Source
Yeah that's how I played the originals, plus I would stun as many aliens as I could (pretty much everybody carried stun rods on my squads) which led to even more reloads awesome, for real
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #8993 on: October 13, 2012, 04:03:43 PM

I've had two missions where I lost the whole team. I really loathe reloading because I'd be forever fucking up the same mission and never finish the game.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #8994 on: October 13, 2012, 08:16:32 PM

I can accept that some wants to preserve a veteran, or some other reason. But 'finishing the game without losing anyone?'
Why not just play Mass Effect 2?
Or maybe.. Easy Difficulty?

Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 459 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Funny picture thread  
Jump to: