Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 09:27:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rumour of Mythic Layoffs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rumour of Mythic Layoffs  (Read 41781 times)
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #70 on: November 11, 2009, 05:15:55 AM

I wonder how Jacobs feels now, seeing his company ground into the dust?

Probably smiling all the way to the bank imagining all the blow he gets to do off of hooker titties.

Yeah, I was thinking either that or crushed. I'm really hoping crushed, though.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #71 on: November 11, 2009, 05:22:36 AM

Also it isn't like people quit their jobs, THEN go find a new one in these situations. I guarantee that resumes are being updated and monster.com is getting hit pretty heavily from there these days.

This is what I'm talking about. I imagine that a lot of the 5-star quality people are doing this now. Spared or not. That's not good morale. Also, if morale is down, people care less about their job (not their paycheck, but the work) and so put in less effort, even if they try to make it look like they're working just as hard.

The impression I'd gotten off "real" programmers that I know IRL is that Games development is something that kids out of Uni (college) do for a few years in their 20s until they mostly grow up/move on to real jobs with some kind of security. If they're good enough.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #72 on: November 11, 2009, 05:25:02 AM

They really should have given Need for Speed a hiatus of a year or two, instead of "cancelling" the series with great fanfare, then shipping the fucking thing out right afterwards. Does anyone buy those games at full price/new anymore?

Apparently they have Criterion working on the next one, which means I'm back to buying Need For Speed games.

Have any of the last ..three or four(?) been worth getting in a bargain-bin sense to play linked or online?

OcellotJenkins
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: November 11, 2009, 10:05:44 AM

Perhaps its my own "elite assholeness," but I always put consoles in the amateur category when it comes to true gaming... ever since I played pac-man in the arcade and then picked up the pac-man cart for my 2600... that was a very sad day.

Does playing pac-man using a keyboard make you feel like a pro?  You don't sound like an elitist, just a silly fucker.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: November 11, 2009, 11:00:55 AM

Does playing pac-man using a keyboard make you feel like a pro?  You don't sound like an elitist, just a silly fucker.

What does a keyboard have to do with his statement?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
OcellotJenkins
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: November 11, 2009, 11:51:12 AM

What does a keyboard have to do with his statement?

I don't think I miss out on anything since I own consoles, I just prefer PC control and feel - I have always had control issues with gamepads and joysticks, but that's on me...

Pac-man on a console made him very sad.  I'm just wondering if Pac-man on a PC was hardcore enough for him.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #76 on: November 11, 2009, 12:02:06 PM

Pac-man on a console made him very sad.  I'm just wondering if Pac-man on a PC was hardcore enough for him.

While this falls outside the true scope of my full rant, pac-man could only be hardcore enough for me on PC if it was text-based.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: November 11, 2009, 12:40:23 PM

>You see a row of little dots stretching to the north. There are passages to your left, right, and straight ahead.

eat dot

>Wokka-wokka! The dot is delicious. There are more on all sides.

left

>Wokka-wokka! You ate another dot. You see something in the distance down the passageway.

use lamp

>You don't have a lamp.

get map

>You don't have the map.

forward

>Wokka-wokka! You ate another dot. A brightly colored ghost is coming toward you.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: November 11, 2009, 02:18:48 PM

CTRL-ALT-DEL

> Sorry, you are on a console.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU.....

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #79 on: November 11, 2009, 02:20:36 PM

Khaldun made a funny and Sir T deftly jumped in and slapped it down with a Sword of Instant Horse Beating.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: November 11, 2009, 03:28:24 PM

Everyone needs a talent.

Hic sunt dracones.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #81 on: November 11, 2009, 04:50:59 PM

Everyone needs a talent.

Got any images with text overlays you might need to post too?

awesome, for real
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #82 on: November 12, 2009, 07:58:16 AM

All those people should clearly be getting together and starting studios and making "That game I always wanted to make, you know, like we hashed out 300 times over beer at the saloon* while bitching about the crap they had us working on."
They're going to make us their bitch?
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: November 12, 2009, 09:47:29 AM

>You see a row of little dots stretching to the north. There are passages to your left, right, and straight ahead.

Pac-Txt!
--------
You awaken in a large complex, slightly disoriented. Glowing dots hover mouth level near you in every direction. Off in the distance you hear the faint howling of what you can only imagine must be some sort of ghost or several ghosts.

http://pac-txt.com/
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #84 on: November 12, 2009, 11:21:16 AM

PCs have one exclusive genre, and really only WoW qualifies as "mass market".
What's the one exclusive genre? MMOs? Because I would've thought that was RTS because of controller issues, not MMOs. I'd like to see them do a proper RTS on the console, and make it not suck.

They're going to make us their bitch?
oh god, you had to invoke the romero, didn't you.

Don't make me invoke the smart.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: November 17, 2009, 06:55:38 AM

There are rumors swirling around that Pandemic is next.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: November 17, 2009, 07:13:41 AM

I wouldn't be surprised. Panademic hasn't produced a hit since before it was absorbed into the collective.

EDIT: Too much editing
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:19:15 AM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
schild
Administrator

Reply #87 on: November 17, 2009, 08:14:24 AM

I wouldn't be surprised. Panademic hasn't produced a since before it was absorbed into the collective.
Yessssssss?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #88 on: November 17, 2009, 10:17:35 AM

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: November 17, 2009, 11:44:28 AM

Pandemic Studios, the developer behind Mercenaries, Full Spectrum Warrior, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Destroy All Humans.

Kotaku reports that The Saboteur IP will be moved over to EA Montreal, the team responsible for Army of Two, Skate It, and Spore Hero.

swamp poop

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #90 on: November 17, 2009, 02:44:38 PM

the team responsible for Army of Two, Skate It, and Spore Hero.

What an impressive line up. Facepalm
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: November 17, 2009, 02:50:41 PM

They're apparently doing something well enough to keep their jobs. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #92 on: November 17, 2009, 02:53:39 PM

Being Canadian?

"Me am play gods"
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #93 on: November 17, 2009, 02:54:08 PM

Hiding in their cubicles, trying to avoid the gaze of Sauron.

-Rasix
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: November 17, 2009, 03:07:04 PM

Oh no way. Saboteur? I was genuinely excited about that game! Fuuuuck.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #95 on: November 17, 2009, 03:07:14 PM

Gamasutra has some more details:

According to an internal memo obtained by Gamasutra, Pandemic founders Josh Resnick, Andrew Goldman, and Greg Borrud will leave the company. "A reduction in the work force at Pandemic" is being reported elsewhere at around 200 employees, with the remainder of the Pandemic team reporting to EALA's Sean Decker at the company's Playa Vista offices.

EA says the studio consolidation is intended to "accelerate our transformation to a direct-to-consumer digital model, and to better manage our cost structure."

Under the new model, EALA will become a "showcase for the 'fewer things better'" initiative, the memo continues, describing a "a re-invention of the Medal of Honor franchise with a new design that is simply stunning."

It's also noted that Might and Magic creator Jon Van Caneghem, who recently "transitioned out" of his role as president of Trion World Networks, has joined EA to lead the Command and Conquer brand with "a new digital model that is going to re-ignite the fan base for this franchise."
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #96 on: November 17, 2009, 05:20:29 PM

Selling out to EA is like putting your head into the mouth of a hungry Great White Shark: you are going to get bitten, it is just a question of when.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: November 17, 2009, 07:14:28 PM

Gamasutra has some more details:
It's also noted that Might and Magic creator Jon Van Caneghem, who recently "transitioned out" of his role as president of Trion World Networks, has joined EA to lead the Command and Conquer brand with "a new digital model that is going to re-ignite the fan base for this franchise."
[/quote]

Wait.  Command and Conquer has a fanbase?  Who are these people?

AKA Gyoza
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: November 17, 2009, 08:31:45 PM

Heroes of Might and Magic 4 killed off his company, but 5 was a fine game. Interesting that they are putting a guy that has successfully been doing turn based strategy for a lot of his career in charge of an RTS franchise.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:26:02 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #99 on: November 17, 2009, 08:36:08 PM

I never understood why BioWare merged with Pandemic in the first place. Well, other than to line the pocket of John Riccitiello, that is.

Edit: stood
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:28:38 PM by Trippy »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: November 17, 2009, 09:23:21 PM

*sigh* Bioware had better survive EA. At least long enough for Mass Effect 3 and whatever sequels Dragon Age has coming. I can't handle a world with only East Euroepean and Japanese RPGs in it. I will get up on a tower with my +5 bow of sniping damn it!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: November 17, 2009, 09:55:40 PM

At this rate, we'd be lucky to get ME2.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
schild
Administrator

Reply #102 on: November 17, 2009, 09:58:33 PM

*sigh* Bioware had better survive EA. At least long enough for Mass Effect 3 and whatever sequels Dragon Age has coming. I can't handle a world with only East Euroepean and Japanese RPGs in it. I will get up on a tower with my +5 bow of sniping damn it!
There is no reason Bioware Edmonton would not survive the purges. Thinking they're in any sort of MEANINGFUL trouble is just silly.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #103 on: November 17, 2009, 10:03:24 PM

Bioware Austin was also untouched by the layoff waves, and doubtless will be until Old Republic is released.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #104 on: November 18, 2009, 01:13:58 AM

Selling out to EA is like putting your head into the mouth of a hungry Great White Shark: you are going to get bitten, it is just a question of when.

Disagree.  Pandemic just had a problem of making games nobody gives a shit about.  EA is not to blame for their failures.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rumour of Mythic Layoffs  
Jump to: