Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:23:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Witcher 3: Wild Hunt  (Read 128694 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #140 on: December 08, 2014, 02:28:29 PM

That assumes that the problems are fixable. It might be better for the customers if the game never existed.

My concern in today's market of games is that delays indicate huge issues. Ten years ago? I wouldn't have cared. Now? I'm thinking this thing might actually be piled in shit, and they are scraping away. Does that mean the customers might get less shit? Yeah, but at this point we're ranking the size of the steaming pile.

Granted, things might be rosy and they may just need to finish up some things. But lately we've been used to companies releasing that stuff anyway and polishing it within the few weeks of release as the players live beta the thing.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: December 08, 2014, 02:40:27 PM

I've had a couple projects that I had to choose between 'delay by two months' and 'might be ok, might be a career-wrecking disaster' so it's not very hard for me to understand why they'd choose to delay. It's also better overall for their customers.

I'm sure you have a job in a sector where falling a few months behind the schedule and then when the new extended deadline starts to loom you can once again delay the release a few months but it doesn't usually inspire much confidence even if you explain those repeated delays as "improving quality".  why so serious?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #142 on: December 08, 2014, 03:43:47 PM

Honestly their mistake was in advertising an uncertain release date, not in any of the pushback stuff (IMO). These things happen constantly on software and/or IT projects internally, the only reason we know about this one is that they misjudged their release target and then *told* us what it was. There's such a thing as too much transparency.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #143 on: December 08, 2014, 04:17:19 PM

They can delay as long as they need if it means their Cyberpunk game benefits from the fixes to their engine this hopefully entails.  why so serious?

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #144 on: December 08, 2014, 09:28:17 PM

Saw a pre-order at $49.50
I can get $10 off.
Saw the release date - February '15
Wow. That's just way too long.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: December 08, 2014, 10:38:39 PM

I can get $10 off.
The problem is that the release is now actually May '15 instead and the stores haven't just updated it yet.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: December 09, 2014, 12:23:38 AM

CD Projekt Red promises "no more delays" for The Witcher 3:
"This is not our first game; we are not newbies," he said. "It's not like 'hey we are delaying and we'll keep on delaying'. If we would think we need more time we would say 'hey we'll release it not in Feb but, I don't know, June'. We made the decision at the moment we were able to judge how much time we needed, and we planned it well and it works well for us. So, no more delays."

I dug up this old article to partly explain why I'm so peeved off by the delay and why it bothers me (though logically thinking the fact I did take the time to find it again doesn't speak well for me why so serious?)
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: December 09, 2014, 01:25:13 AM

I can get $10 off.
The problem is that the release is now actually May '15 instead and the stores haven't just updated it yet.

LOL damn pollacks.
I'm definitely not touching it.
Insane. Something must be really wrong for them to delay it that far.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #148 on: December 09, 2014, 04:08:32 AM

They are their own publisher, with digital distribution platform generating money for them. They aren't hard pressed to RELEASE NOW or sink.

Reminds you of any other company with similar assets, which was supposed to release 3rd part of their game at some point in the past? Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:10:08 AM by tmp »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #149 on: December 09, 2014, 07:16:00 AM

LOL damn pollacks.
I'm definitely not touching it.
Hey man, it's winter.  It like, got cold over here and stuff.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #150 on: December 09, 2014, 10:11:03 AM

Not sure I see the issue either. We are talking about a story focused CRPG here, not an MMO or some novel game concept were a "We can't find the fun!" moment can happen. It's also an issue of who says it. If CD Project Red (or Larian) says we need to delay to finish it properly I give them more credence than in case of some Kickstarter clowns who haven't yet proven they can produce a finished product.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: December 09, 2014, 10:33:14 AM

Not sure I see the issue either. We are talking about a story focused CRPG here, not an MMO or some novel game concept were a "We can't find the fun!" moment can happen. It's also an issue of who says it. If CD Project Red (or Larian) says we need to delay to finish it properly I give them more credence than in case of some Kickstarter clowns who haven't yet proven they can produce a finished product.

If you read that article I quoted from (CD Projekt Red promises "no more delays" for The Witcher 3) you'll see that they were practically swearing that there wouldn't be any more delays from the February date. The main point is that they seem to be having major problems with producing a finished product that wouldn't be a major disappointment to consumers (and since it's CDPR's biggest project so far it could be pretty catastrophic economic wise)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: December 09, 2014, 10:43:32 AM

If you read that article I quoted from (CD Projekt Red promises "no more delays" for The Witcher 3) you'll see that they were practically swearing that there wouldn't be any more delays from the February date. The main point is that they seem to be having major problems with producing a finished product that wouldn't be a major disappointment to consumers (and since it's CDPR's biggest project so far it could be pretty catastrophic economic wise)

I guess it's wait and see. In May we will know what was really behind it. My personal guess is still that it's a case of CDPR having more freedom with these decisions due to being their own publisher and due the bad rep they got with the first Witcher being rather buggy. The Witcher 1 EE saw the entire German voice synchronization redone - with new voice-actors. I doubt they want to go through this again.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:45:22 AM by calapine »

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #153 on: December 09, 2014, 10:47:28 AM

Agreed, sounds like they're trying to avoid having to publish an enhanced edition (which they had to do for both of the previous games).
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: December 09, 2014, 11:19:54 AM

For me it's just look like damage control before damage happens. Lessons learned from Ubisoft drama.
They wanted to patch it after release - but customers will shit all over it today.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:21:54 AM by disKret »
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: January 09, 2015, 03:15:21 AM

So, the system requirements are out and they're pretty brutal:

Minimum System Requirements
 Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
 AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
 Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
 AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
 RAM 6GB
 OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
 DirectX 11
 HDD Space 40 GB

Recommended System Requirements
 Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
 AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
 Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
 AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
 RAM 8GB
 OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
 DirectX 11
 HDD Space 40 GB

too brutal for me, in fact. Is there any possibility prices of NVidia cards like that 660 will be dropping some in the next few months, as they introduce more models with their new chips to replace the previous batch, or is that completely out of the question?
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: January 09, 2015, 08:08:35 AM

I'm going to play it on PS4.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: January 09, 2015, 08:21:39 AM

So, the system requirements are out and they're pretty brutal:

too brutal for me, in fact. Is there any possibility prices of NVidia cards like that 660 will be dropping some in the next few months, as they introduce more models with their new chips to replace the previous batch, or is that completely out of the question?

I guess the graphic card is going to be the issue for most (is for me, HD 6950). And maybe CPU for people gaming on dual-core notebooks.

Regarding what's coming up:

nVidia
22th January:  GeForce GTX 960 (high end, GM206 chip)

February - July: More models of the GTX 900 series. GM204 and more affordable GM206 chips. Should also provide downward pressure for all current cards on the market.

AMD
March - August: Radeon R300 series. Tonga/Fiji/Bermuda chips. Both new high-end and rebranding of current models.

Edit: Mixed up GM204 and GM206. Corrected post.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:08:00 PM by calapine »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: January 09, 2015, 08:58:48 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #159 on: January 09, 2015, 10:13:49 PM

"an HJ" :sneer:

But for real, the requirements are what the fuck. I barely meet the fucking recommended but I can crush everything else I've thrown at it. I7 870 / GTX 760 / 8GB RAM.

These fuckers think they're Crytek or something.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #160 on: January 10, 2015, 12:10:24 AM

This is going to sound ignorant, but... is 'HJ' meant to stand 'hand job' in that joke? Because that's all I can take away from it.

schild
Administrator

Reply #161 on: January 10, 2015, 12:18:47 AM

Yes. it's terrible writing. I assumed they were replaced with very small shellscripts a few years back anyway.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: January 10, 2015, 02:38:36 AM

This is going to sound ignorant, but... is 'HJ' meant to stand 'hand job' in that joke? Because that's all I can take away from it.

I read it as 'handkerchief', but now that I see it that's not how it's actually spelled.  Ohhhhh, I see.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: January 10, 2015, 02:39:03 AM

But for real, the requirements are what the fuck. I barely meet the fucking recommended but I can crush everything else I've thrown at it. I7 870 / GTX 760 / 8GB RAM.

These fuckers think they're Crytek or something.

Well, these requirements read like someone just wrote something down quick without bothering to think too much.

CPU:
Core i7: That kind of gives it away already. Why i7? I am pretty sure the game wont benefit significantly from the hyper-threading it provides. Willing to bet that a Haswell i5 >  i7 3770.

Secondly the minimum Phenom II X4 940 is quite the slow-poke nowadays. In fact in Crysis 3 it is slower than Core i3-3220, which is a only 2 core CPU (2C / 4 threads). So if it runs on that it will run on anything that isn't awfully ancient.

GPU:
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870

As frame of reference, it is said the PS/4 has about the raw power of an HD 7850.

The 7870 is hardly faster than that, but the (significant) difference is it is a 2 GB VRAM card. Which is why it's demanded here.

The Nvidia requirements confirm that suspicion. In benchmarks a GTX 560 is about as fast as 7870, so why demand a faster card from Nivdia users? The answer is, I think, that the GTX 560 is again a 1 GB card, thus they write 660 as requirement.

So bottom-line:
4-core CPU, no matter how old. Modern Intel 2-cores with HT (read: i3) maaaaybe too.
GPU: Any graphic card with 2 GB VRAM. (If it has that much it will have the raw power too, so that wont be an issue).

Who can't run it:
People gaming on notebooks without dedicated graphics cards.
People with only 4 GB RAM (probably).

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: January 10, 2015, 04:37:34 AM

Regarding what's coming up:

nVidia
22th January:  GeForce GTX 960 (very high end, GM206 chip, probably not of interest for you)

February - July: More models of the GTX 900 series. GM206 and more affordable GM204 mainstream chips. Should also provide downward pressure for all current cards on the market.

AMD
March - August: Radeon R300 series. Tonga/Fiji/Bermuda chips. Both new high-end and rebranding of current models.
Ahh excellent, it looks then like holding off a few months may pay off one way or another. And who know, maybe they'll delay this Witcher again in the meantime or it turns out terrible  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: January 10, 2015, 04:43:39 AM

So bottom-line:
4-core CPU, no matter how old. Modern Intel 2-cores with HT (read: i3) maaaaybe too.
GPU: Any graphic card with 2 GB VRAM. (If it has that much it will have the raw power too, so that wont be an issue).

Who can't run it:
Your bottom line is anyone who doesn't have a card with 2gb vram is running a notebook with intel chipset? I think that's... imagining people upgrade their hardware much more often than they really do.

(75% of steam hardware survey doesn't clear that hurdle, btw)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:00:02 AM by tmp »
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: January 10, 2015, 05:06:43 AM

Your bottom line is anyone who doesn't have a card with 2gb vram is running a notebook with intel chipset? I think that's... imagining people upgrade their hardware much more often than they really do.

(80% of steam hardware survey doesn't clear that hurdle, btw)

*laughs* Ok, that's an excellent point. Lurking on too many hardware enthusiast forums skews the perspective a bit.  why so serious?

Blame X-Box / PS-4 though. Suddenly there are ~ 6GB shared VRAM/RAM to waste for a console game and any that's going to lead to more demanding PC ports too.

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: January 10, 2015, 05:20:19 AM

So bottom-line:

Who can't run it:

(75% of steam hardware survey doesn't clear that hurdle, btw)
That's scary, my 5 year old box clears those hurdles.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #168 on: January 12, 2015, 08:53:19 AM

I would have asked if he needed some Mountain Dew and Doritos instead of an HJ.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #169 on: January 12, 2015, 01:01:22 PM

Well I'm certainly never coming to you for comfort during a tough time.

Guess I have to ask.  Why the sneer?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #170 on: January 12, 2015, 01:40:01 PM

Guess I have to ask.  Why the sneer?
Grammar. You can't get an handjob.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #171 on: January 12, 2015, 03:41:21 PM

Guess I have to ask.  Why the sneer?

Depends if the aforementioned handjob is stressed enough or not (and yes, we're totally in-topic :P)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: January 12, 2015, 07:42:34 PM

what's a handjob

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #173 on: January 13, 2015, 02:01:10 AM

Yes you can, if it's abbreviated. At least that's what all my english textbooks in school said.

"a handjob"
"an HJ" (because of the vowel in the pronounciation of 'H')

Granted the examples used in my EFL textbooks used LP's (fake edit: yes I'm old) and not handjobs (we're not THAT liberal) - as in a long play vs an LP - but the (grammatical) principle stays the same.

[edit: when talking about grammar at least get the spelling right]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:07:09 AM by Jeff Kelly »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: January 13, 2015, 02:33:10 AM

swamp poop

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Witcher 3: Wild Hunt  
Jump to: