Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 04:08:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 College Football 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 College Football  (Read 215097 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 01:51:26 PM

Here's a fun blog article on the Big 12 for next year.  I think that it should be a lot of fun to see the teams play all of the other teams every year.  I've never been a huge fan of the "superconference" setup or the conference championship game.  I just wish that it was Iowa State and Missouri that left instead of Big Red and Colorado.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 02:06:53 PM

Missouri wanted to go, but nobody would take them.  why so serious?

Iowa State is like our Mississippi State. Everybody has one that makes no sense at all, and doesn't really do well in any sports consistently.

The PAC-10 has Arizona.
The Big 10 has Minnesota.
The ACC has Virginia.
The Big East has everybody in football.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 02:19:43 PM

Arizona went to 25 NCAA basketball tournaments in a row. If you want to talk about the shitty loser school in the Pac 10, it is Washington State.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 02:24:28 PM

Women's softball, baseball, men's basketball, men and women's golf.  

So, basically every major sport but football.  /shrug

If you want to talk about the shitty loser school in the Pac 10, it is Washington State.

Don't disparage the Ryan Leaf era.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:28:02 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 02:30:40 PM

Football is king, and that's what the thread is about.

I wouldn't give Iowa State that much credit.  They're more along the lines of Kentucky or Vanderbilt when it comes to football.  Miss State is at least competitive sometimes.   
Rasix

Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 02:33:38 PM

Football is king, and that's what the thread is about.

Recently we've been at least to bowls at least.  Performance in them has been...   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? ACK! ACK!

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 02:34:56 PM

You guys have certainly been on the upswing.  Stoops is a good coach and it's really impressive what he's done with the Wildcats.  Changing recruiting habits can be a bitch.  How is high school football in Phoenix?
Rasix

Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 02:47:39 PM

Fairly big.  But it's bigger actually down where my parents live in the valley (Chandler/Tempe area).  Hamilton is one of the top programs in the nation.

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 04:25:22 PM

It seems logical that you guys should be able to draw in a lot of talent then.  Plus you've got some super hot chicks.  Maybe not as hot as ASU, but still in the top 10.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 09:11:28 PM

Someone poisoned the oaks at Toomer's Corner. What a horseshit thing to do.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 16, 2011, 09:20:34 PM

Heard about it on Finebaum today.  It's pretty fucking terrible, and going way too far.  After this, I'm expecting some AU fanatic to dig up Bryant's corpse and parade him around on the hood of his car like a dead deer as retribution.  It all basically started with someone pouring grass killer on the grass in the quad with the numbers 28-27 being burned into it.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #46 on: February 17, 2011, 06:29:34 AM

Rednecks. Every SEC team has them, and you just hope they don't do something REALLY stupid during the year.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #47 on: February 17, 2011, 06:53:16 AM

Rednecks. Every SEC team has them, and you just hope they don't do something REALLY stupid during the year.

Rednecks are everywhere.  People are generally pigs.  

On another note, it appears that Nate Montana will be transferring from Notre Dame.  To where, you ask?  Why to Montana, of course.  It's the only logical place   awesome, for real

Edit:  It also looks like someone was arrested for the Toomer's Corner incident.  A 62 year old guy-  not what I expected. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:31:30 AM by ghost »
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: February 17, 2011, 10:17:47 AM

I was expecting someone in their mid 20's early 30's - somebody too immaturely stupid to know better or ballsy enough to do it.  Definately not some (near) retiree.  The voice on Finebaum definately sounded younger.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #49 on: February 17, 2011, 10:36:59 AM

Just don't do something stupid like have a moment of silence at the beginning of next season for the trees.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: February 17, 2011, 10:54:38 AM

Auburn.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #51 on: February 17, 2011, 11:45:51 AM

Auburn.

I know, but even UGA isn't stupid enough to have a moment of silence for the Dawg.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #52 on: March 08, 2011, 09:41:14 AM

Tressel was aware that his players were breaking the rules.

This doesn't sound like a great thing for OSU.
WayAbvPar

Reply #53 on: March 08, 2011, 09:45:41 AM

I hope they tear apart that sweater vest wearing fuckhead's program. I am so goddamned sick of the 'big' programs just running roughshod over the rules and getting away with it. I am still nauseous that Pete Carroll a) skipped out on USC without getting his slimy hide tacked to the wall, and b) ended up HERE running my beloved Seahawks. I want all these fuckers to burn. UW got popped for institutional control stuff in the early 90s, before the REALLY big money was around. The program hasn't been the same since. Any bets on whether USC or Tennessee or Auburn or Ohio State will go into a decades long funk? Not bloody likely- too much money at stake now.

edited typo
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:51:14 AM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #54 on: March 08, 2011, 09:49:09 AM

Tennessee might. That hurt their program BIG, and they don't have any recruiting holds in that state. All their best players are from Georgia or Florida.

WayAbvPar

Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 09:52:38 AM

That would be a good start. Waiting for news on LSU and Alabama too...Sabin has got to be up to something, that smarmy fucker. I think basketball is even worse, btw. Rick Pitino is so dirty he should be in Congress.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #56 on: March 08, 2011, 10:28:05 AM

That would be a good start. Waiting for news on LSU and Alabama too...Sabin has got to be up to something, that smarmy fucker. I think basketball is even worse, btw. Rick Pitino is so dirty he should be in Congress.

LSU is in Louisiana. They'll never find anything there. Anybody that gets close risk running afoul of crazy cajuns. Dem cooyon en up in dat der swamp, sha.

Bama just kills your trees.

Rasix

Reply #57 on: March 08, 2011, 11:01:11 PM

Tressel was aware that his players were breaking the rules.

This doesn't sound like a great thing for OSU.

Wasn't that a great idea to let all of those players suit up for the Sugar Bowl?  That entire season is going to get wiped off the books.

I doubt the NCAA has the balls to ban Tressel for a year or give the program a 1-2 year bowl ban.

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #58 on: March 09, 2011, 04:56:58 AM

Wasn't that a great idea to let all of those players suit up for the Sugar Bowl?

In my opinion, yes.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #59 on: March 09, 2011, 06:37:52 AM

They need to suspend the players involved for a minimum of 4 games. It's the exact same infraction that AJ Green got busted for last year.

As for Tressell, he got suspended for two games, which is a joke. Their first two games are against Akron and Toledo.  Ohhhhh, I see.

An actual penalty would be to suspend him for the first two conference games, which are Michigan State and Nebraska.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 09, 2011, 07:44:07 AM

Tressel also got fined 250,000 bucks, so it wasn't just a 2 game suspension.  What's he make a year?  3 mil or more?  Won't hurt him that much but 250K is still 250K.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #61 on: March 09, 2011, 01:17:52 PM

Tressel also got fined 250,000 bucks, so it wasn't just a 2 game suspension.  What's he make a year?  3 mil or more?  Won't hurt him that much but 250K is still 250K.

The money hurts, but he was fined by the school. I'm sure they can find a way to repay him.

Not that it matters, but I want that Sugar Bowl victory tossed out. They had zero chance of beating Arkansas if the players involved were rightly suspended. It's disgusting that they lobbied and even the Bowl officials lobbied to let them play, all the while knowing they were all guilty as hell.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #62 on: March 09, 2011, 01:29:52 PM

The money hurts, but he was fined by the school. I'm sure they can find a way to repay him.

Not that it matters, but I want that Sugar Bowl victory tossed out. They had zero chance of beating Arkansas if the players involved were rightly suspended. It's disgusting that they lobbied and even the Bowl officials lobbied to let them play, all the while knowing they were all guilty as hell.

The money off that bowl attendance is what lobbied it. And I agree with everything you said. Sadly, it's not about the rules, it's about the pay out. Why that is not plain and clear and this made an exaple of how ridicuous college football has become is beyond me.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #63 on: March 09, 2011, 02:27:08 PM

The NCAA made it's choice. It wants to be about the money now. That's fine if you want to go that way, but you can't pretend it's going to be the same sport anymore. Fans aren't stupid. We don't like having fake national championships that are later rescended because of violations.

WayAbvPar

Reply #64 on: March 09, 2011, 02:39:10 PM

Definitely- look at what happened to boxing.  People quit watching it in droves when the infrastructure became so transparently corrupt. Having MMA spawn around the same time didn't help them either, but my personal problem with boxing (which I used to love) is the perception of how it is run, not the sport itself. Each year the NCAA is giving me more and more reason to find them nearly as distasteful.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 09, 2011, 02:47:47 PM

The NCAA has no grounds to do anything to Tressel, as far as I'm concerned. As mentioned above, those players got to play in the Sugar Bowl. This means that the rules only matter up to a point, and if that's the case, they have no business telling anyone else what's right and what's wrong.

Disclaimer: I'm a Buckeye fan. When the news about the players broke, back in December, I was momentarily worried that they wouldn't get to play in the bowl game. If the NCAA had had the stones to suspend them from that game, I would have been disappointed, but at the same time, I'd have respected the decision as a principled one. As it is, I can't respect them for anything they might do to Tressel now, beyond what the university has already done.

And until I read or hear someone in the sports media digging into the NCAA, I don't have a lot of respect for them piling on top, either.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #66 on: March 09, 2011, 02:53:11 PM

Face it, the NCAA is a corrupt money spinner making bank off the backs of college kids that they don't even have the decency to give a cut of the profits. Sure, it's all scholarship this but where are they when a poor kid gets his head turned by a millionaire alumni who gives the kid things he's never been able to afford before? Turning a blind eye until the receipts on bowl games are in, then they tar and feather the kid while leaving the boosters to do the same shit over and over again. And Tressell? That fuck needs to be banned from college coaching with all the shit he's let go in his time there. I don't even follow college football for anything other than next year's NFL draft picks, and even I know he's a crooked fucker.

The sad state of affairs is that many of these schools wouldn't have nearly the academic programs or prestige they do without the profits generated by these sports.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 09, 2011, 03:11:25 PM

I actually disagree with the "fans aren't stupid" sentiment. Fans, in fact, are stupid and don't care about ethics or codes of conduct or money rules unless it directly affects THEIR team in a negative fashion. If it is your team that gets hit by sanctions, you as a school fire the guys who "did it" aka the head coach and maybe the AD, get booster money to pay any fines and wait your year or two until you can turn around and start printing money hats again. Most places the stadiums stay filled to the same levels when the team is on probation as when it is not and the NCAA turns a blind eye to anything done while under probation because "well, we caught them and they learned their lesson!"

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #68 on: March 09, 2011, 04:08:45 PM

Chimpy, I think you have it backwards. When I say fans aren't stupid, I mean we all know the NCAA is full of shit. We know everyone is cheating and it's only time until they get caught. Ask any SEC fan out there right now if they were willing to put a year's paycheck on the fact that their team is 100% clean. My Georgia program is run by one of the best men in college football, who nobody would have a bad personal life thing to say about him, and I still wouldn't take that bet. Nobody would.

Disclaimer: I'm a Buckeye fan. When the news about the players broke, back in December, I was momentarily worried that they wouldn't get to play in the bowl game. If the NCAA had had the stones to suspend them from that game, I would have been disappointed, but at the same time, I'd have respected the decision as a principled one. As it is, I can't respect them for anything they might do to Tressel now, beyond what the university has already done.

That's all well and good, and I agree the NCAA doesn't have a leg to stand on for judging a program on violations. However, that's not why they should come down on the Tressel. It's not that he got caught, it's that he lied directly to NCAA officials, tried to cover it up, and then proceeded to have his ass handed to him publically in the media with emails showing he was a hypocritical dicknose. He signed off on documents saying he had no idea about this stuff.

When the NCAA actually comes to your door it's not an accident. You were obviously doing something extremely blantant and stupid. It's time to throw your hands up and stop hiding. You're busted. If you keep lying and denying they will fucking own you. They can and should make an example out of him. They should do the same for any coach that keeps stonewalling once the evidence starts to mount.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 09, 2011, 04:10:57 PM

Everyone is saying "fans aren't stupid, they will stop supporting college sports" (paraphrased). I am saying that fans won't stop supporting college sports because they don't care if they are corrupt or not.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 College Football  
Jump to: