Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:44:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1370548 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2835 on: July 29, 2015, 12:49:05 PM

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2836 on: July 29, 2015, 12:51:18 PM

If it's a legitimate company with a decent track record then they can afford to fund their own fucking game.
fwiw HBS is using kickstarter more as a preorder / PR vehicle than anything else. They already had Shadowrun: Hong Kong budgeted before its KS, basically the entire thing was just a sequence of stretch goals (more content, reworked matrix, etc). I expect the same will be true for Battletech, to a point.

If they're getting advance 'preorder' $$/free publicity and the fans are happy in the end, who cares, right?   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:11:20 PM by Zetor »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2837 on: July 29, 2015, 02:14:44 PM

The only pre-order pre-funding early-access kickstarter whatever money I've ever regretted are the ones I put into the MechWarrior one that folded last year without ever being released. That hurt.
Everything else worked and delivered so far for me.

Anyway, it's interesting to notice (from that poster) that for this new BattleTech game HBS is clearly using the 'mech designs from MechWarrior Online.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #2838 on: July 30, 2015, 06:22:56 AM

Without crowd funding how would we get gems like this?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shaq-fu-a-legend-reborn#/story 
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2839 on: July 30, 2015, 06:26:00 AM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2840 on: July 30, 2015, 06:58:36 AM

Still fewer clicks to see boobs than most 'dating' sims.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2841 on: July 30, 2015, 01:20:51 PM

800+ moans according to the Steam store page!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2842 on: July 31, 2015, 11:37:08 AM

My kid wants the Escapists game - can anyone chime in on the appropriateness of the game? I know nothing about it, other than escaping from prisons. We give her a lot of leeway because we're really active in discussing things with her, and she can usually handle heavy topics. But if it's all stabbing guards and selling coke to escape, then nope.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2843 on: July 31, 2015, 11:53:40 AM

Do you want her learning to sell coke on the streets?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2844 on: July 31, 2015, 01:33:33 PM

A little entrepreneurial spirit is good for everyone, I say.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2845 on: August 04, 2015, 10:07:48 AM

I can't tell if we're shark jumping, or if games are being made for people much younger than I. The Scalebound gameplay looks great, until the beats headphones playing dubstep while fighting with his dragon in a fantasy world happened.

I can't even wrap my head around how much I dislike that character. Not that I was going to ever own an Xbone, but w/e.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2846 on: August 04, 2015, 10:23:16 AM

I would guess that it is a generation thing, but then again game characters have always been kinda awful.  This was mitigated by us being in middle school, since I've at least learned (via scientific analysis) that kids can't tell the difference between quality and garbage.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2847 on: August 04, 2015, 11:31:41 AM

My 14 year old at various times has professed to liking: the prequels, the Hobbit movies and Coldplay. That's scientific enough for me that kids have no fucking clue.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:19:39 PM by Shannow »

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2848 on: August 04, 2015, 01:18:09 PM

Additional proof is watching things that I liked as a kid.  Some of those are very, very bad.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2849 on: August 04, 2015, 04:41:37 PM

Additional proof is watching things that I liked as a kid.  Some of those are very, very bad.

Oh.God, tell me about it.  I caught a couple of eps of the original GI Joe cartoon a little while ago, and I can only conclude that my eight year old self was fucking retarded.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2850 on: August 04, 2015, 04:58:10 PM

Yeah, well, I watched and liked this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUYesRQsDz8

(I also bought the interactive toys  ACK!)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #2851 on: August 05, 2015, 03:08:52 AM

Hawkbit, you have to keep in mind that this is not an example of what young people today like. It's an example of what  marketing executives and creative directors aged 40+ think that the young generation likes. That gameplay trailer surely wasn't made by a team of people in the age bracket of the target audience. It was made by the marketing team of the developer or publisher (probably publisher) and that is probably what those people think might appeal to the target demographic. That#s why it's so cringeworthy.

If a bunch of twenty year olds had made that it would also be cringeworthy but look entierly different.

That#s also why I can't for the love of god bring myself to watch any of the keynotes and big presentations because it's always a 40 years+ CEO or marketing exec pandering t an audience that is twenty years younger than him and that he totally doesn't understand.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2852 on: August 05, 2015, 05:07:52 PM

Journey of the Light, if you haven't been following it, has been pretty hilarious.  Billed as the "hardest game ever" it turns out that indeed the only person to ever get the achievement for beating the first (or any) level is the game's dev.  Then someone edited the map files in order to at least see what level 2 looks like and it turns out all the other levels are just the exact same map copy/pasted ten times and then renamed.  So it looks more than a bit scammy.

The dev swears that this was a build error and the other levels do exist, but won't say how to beat level one to see them (he did helpfully provide hints on how to beat level 2, though).  Steam apparently disagrees, disabled sales of the game and are offering refunds regardless of time /played (the dev was hinting at there being some vital clues in the trading cards, which you can't get until you've run out the refund timer).

It was developed by a single guy called Lord Kres who has one other game on Steam (Voxelized, an early access minecraft clone whose list of incomplete features apparently includes the ability to actually place any blocks at all) who is maybe slightly better known for complaining about how badly Steam refunds were hurting "indie devs"
https://twitter.com/LordKres/status/608562698968805376

Some screenshots:
https://imgur.com/a/yceJt#_=_

Jim Sterling on the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBG51Pafig
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:15:45 PM by Kail »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2853 on: August 06, 2015, 05:55:36 AM

Ugh, so did I.  Let's not talk about it.  Even though I enjoyed it at the time.

Also useless: I spent 80 minutes in TESO and I didn't do anything except open mail, put crap in the bank, deconstruct blacksmithing items, and generally organize my inventory.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2854 on: August 06, 2015, 08:12:08 AM

Ugh, so did I.  Let's not talk about it.  Even though I enjoyed it at the time.

Also useless: I spent 80 minutes in TESO and I didn't do anything except open mail, put crap in the bank, deconstruct blacksmithing items, and generally organize my inventory.

This is my problem with TESO, too.  I can spend so much time running around doing exactly that stuff that I don't feel like adventuring anymore.  It's as bad as house chores.

And is anyone playing Project Spark?  If so, what do you think? 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:15:35 AM by Signe »

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2855 on: August 06, 2015, 08:15:11 AM

Well, I don't get yelled at if I skip TESO inventory management for a week.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2856 on: August 06, 2015, 08:21:28 AM

Why does everyone want to yell at you?   Also, I got my Project Spark key from Alienware giveaways but they're disamapearing fast.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2857 on: August 06, 2015, 08:27:28 AM

I'm one of those laid-back people that get pushed around by default.  If I don't do household chores, though, the wife is angry and I have to smell things.  TESO does not produce a discernible odor and it isn't visible to guests.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2858 on: August 06, 2015, 08:34:06 AM

Okay, you guys, especially you guys with kids and who are kids (like me!) this Project Spark looks awesome for the young of brain and age.  I think you might be able to be a squirrel, too, so you could name yourself Applecheeks!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2859 on: August 06, 2015, 09:46:09 AM

Looks like it has XBONE-itis.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2860 on: August 06, 2015, 09:53:01 AM

I dl'd it and started the tutorial and mouse and keyboard seems perfectly fine.  It is so fucking adorable and I would love it more if I were 7.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2861 on: August 06, 2015, 09:54:54 AM

PCitis is even worse.  Kids don't play PC games, especially if they have old shitty laptops.

Not that I'm complaining about the suggestion!

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2862 on: August 07, 2015, 04:29:43 AM

With how much discussion there is on World of Tanks and World of Warships I'm surprised I don't see more mention about the new Dreadnought trailer
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2863 on: August 07, 2015, 06:15:41 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but that looks fairly boring.

- Viin
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2864 on: August 08, 2015, 02:05:15 AM

World of Warships looks even more boring. But it isn't. It's all about execution though, and the little things. The king of slo-mo games is MechWarrior Online, which has been plagued by terrible execution since 2012 and is still doing well if not better than ever. Dreadnought could be great or a pile of shit. It's hard to say for me from the videos, but I certainly hope it'll be good. I already dumped 10$ on a clone of that called Fractured Space that looks cool in trailers but it happens to be a stinker in execution.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2865 on: August 09, 2015, 10:04:17 AM

So that Lord British game... is that still real?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2866 on: August 09, 2015, 12:26:01 PM

Yes it is. But it's still super Early Access pre-Alpha stage and progressing so slowly tthat they recently started slapping a fair warning in ALL CAPS at the top of every new update. I am copy pasting it for you all:

WARNING: Read Negative Reviews BEFORE Purchasing

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS PRE-ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME VIA CROWD FUNDING, BUG TESTING, AND FEEDBACK. PLEASE ONLY PURCHASE IF YOU ARE ALSO PREPARED TO HANDLE PERIODIC WIPES, SERIOUS ISSUES AND INCOMPLETE CONTENT. PLEASE READ THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS PRIOR TO PURCHASE, MANY OF WHICH WARN YOU OF THE CURRENT UNFINISHED STATE OF THE GAME.

I am a supporter of such warnings.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #2867 on: August 09, 2015, 12:34:36 PM

Yes it is. But it's still super Early Access pre-Alpha stage and progressing so slowly tthat they recently started slapping a fair warning in ALL CAPS at the top of every new update. I am copy pasting it for you all:

WARNING: Read Negative Reviews BEFORE Purchasing

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS PRE-ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME VIA CROWD FUNDING, BUG TESTING, AND FEEDBACK. PLEASE ONLY PURCHASE IF YOU ARE ALSO PREPARED TO HANDLE PERIODIC WIPES, SERIOUS ISSUES AND INCOMPLETE CONTENT. PLEASE READ THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS PRIOR TO PURCHASE, MANY OF WHICH WARN YOU OF THE CURRENT UNFINISHED STATE OF THE GAME.

I am a supporter of such warnings.

I remember Clockwork Empires being good enough to post a similar warning, and I too support such reminders (although one world think it would be obvious, but apparently not...)

And that reminds me -- time to check back in with that game...
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2868 on: August 10, 2015, 06:54:38 AM

Problem is there are a lot of early access games that are really fun to play (mostly with zombies, I guess). Hell, I was in Rift F&F alpha and it was actually close to what got released (read that as you will, heh).
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2869 on: August 10, 2015, 07:22:12 AM

Problem is there are a lot of early access games that are really fun to play (mostly with zombies, I guess). Hell, I was in Rift F&F alpha and it was actually close to what got released (read that as you will, heh).

The game was actually better.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: