Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Sneaky Ninja Skills: Probing & Covops Training Op 23rd February 2000ET Sankassen 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sneaky Ninja Skills: Probing & Covops Training Op 23rd February 2000ET Sankassen  (Read 20583 times)
Darkin Ranova
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 07:52:41 PM

I'll be sure to make it.  Aside from cloaking requirements for the covert cloak I should be up to par with the gold stand. by then. I was gona hold off on the covert-ops training but looks like a good reason not to.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #36 on: February 16, 2008, 09:36:19 PM

I'll try to be there to help out and learn some stuff...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 12:56:55 AM

Participants:

ajax34i
bhodi
dbltnk
Ravandor
Zetleft
Darkin Ranova
Hoax
lac
Quinton
Der Helm

This is a fine number, since everyone will be able to ask questions/get me to go over stuff I didn't explain well enough etc. Do try to be there on time (or at least to be in vent on time) though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 06:58:34 AM by Endie »

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 01:44:17 AM

I'm not planning on going cov-ops, but if I'm able to I'd be happy to play target.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 03:00:32 AM

I should be able to make it too, I'll bring my cheetah.

Where do we start?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 03:02:40 AM by lac »
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 03:06:55 AM

I should be able to make it too, I'll bring my cheetah.

Where do we start?

Let's start at the corp HQ in Sankassen, unless we're at war in which case I'll post an alternative on Thursday.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 04:21:23 AM

I'm in if you've got room.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 06:24:50 AM

I'm in if you've got room.
Me too.

(Did I post that already ?)

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #43 on: February 19, 2008, 09:28:32 AM

I've got a probe and a few drones & launcher I picked-up for this, but I'm still not sure of my Saturday schedule. I may or may not show up.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mook
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008, 02:48:21 PM

I'll be joining in the sneakiness in a gallente frigate. (Stupid Amarr and their lack of E-frigs *grumble* *grumble* *grumble*)
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #45 on: February 19, 2008, 07:06:01 PM

I'll be participating as well in a Heron

Amarr suxxxxxxxxx
Reroll Caldari for E-war! this guy looks legit
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 20, 2008, 05:57:29 AM

There's a chance I might not be able to make it, despite wanting to.  It all depends on whether the fridge we ordered that the store has on back order arrives there on Saturday, and we have to go pick it up.  Hopefully it won't.

Edit:  Llyse, heh, don't reroll!  Just train Caldari Frigates, which is very fast, and then Caldari Cruisers for the Blackbird, and you should be set.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 05:59:02 AM by ajax34i »
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 20, 2008, 06:01:04 AM

Indeed.  Unless you have managed to create some truely horribly high-charisma character with a 3 base perception then it is never worth re-rolling in Eve.

Twitter - Endieposts

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #48 on: February 20, 2008, 08:04:32 AM

Also, new guys, if you are digging this game and can afford it...get another account rolling sooner rather than later. You will thank me for this advice. :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: February 20, 2008, 08:24:22 AM

Also, new guys, if you are digging this game and can afford it...get another account rolling sooner rather than later. You will thank me for this advice. :)

This is an especially good investment when you move to 0.0: having a cloaking covops character one jump ahead of your cargo full of 200 million ISK worth of ratting loot makes for a more relaxing journey by far.

Twitter - Endieposts

Mook
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: February 20, 2008, 03:15:05 PM

Can you run 2 Eve clients on the same computer and alt-tab between them? Or do you need to 2 box?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 20, 2008, 03:48:10 PM

The only time you have to dual box is if one of the two is a trial account.

Otherwise, you are fine (though dial the graphics down a bit).

Twitter - Endieposts

Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 22, 2008, 07:37:23 PM

Well crap my schedule changed and I'm gonna be working tomorrow so I can't make it.  That really blows, guess I'll have to pickup the sneakiness as I go.
dbltnk
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 23, 2008, 08:53:11 AM

Update: Can't make it to the operation. A game that I can't name has recently opened a open pvp server and I'm too busy ganking whole groups of carebears. =D
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 23, 2008, 09:30:39 AM

ah crap, didn't they also say the were going to do another round of beta invites before the open pvp server? Guess I missed this round too then Cry
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #55 on: February 23, 2008, 04:20:10 PM

Thanks again Endie for providing us another skill for our toolbox. Greatly educational, and hey, after we finished, I probed out some abandoned t2 drones and blam! 700k richer.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 23, 2008, 08:07:08 PM

That was informative and fun, thank you.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 23, 2008, 08:45:50 PM

Thanks again Endie for providing us another skill for our toolbox. Greatly educational, and hey, after we finished, I probed out some abandoned t2 drones and blam! 700k richer.
I've got to put together a Helios and practice scanning. Working on Covert Ops 3 right now.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #58 on: February 24, 2008, 02:40:04 AM

Sounds like it went perfectly.

I regret on missing out so much now Heartbreak

Especially after this happened to http://f13.7mph.com/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=167 me at a dodgy safespot

Questions.

What qualifies as a decent safespot? The further from celestial bodies the better? 4.5au from everything?
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: February 24, 2008, 04:46:09 AM

What qualifies as a decent safespot? The further from celestial bodies the better? 4.5au from everything?

One that you dont stay at very long smiley

Seriously unless you are deadspace distance only increases the time it will take for someone to find you (the same could be said of deadspace but by a larger margin)

You can also fit a cloak and cloak as soon as you hit your SS (and if you use it alot I'd fly in a random direction once cloaked in case its already busted
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 25, 2008, 06:40:47 AM

There is no decent safe-spot, really.  The farther you are from everything, the longer it takes, but it's still a matter of minutes.

You must either cloak at the safe-spot, or have multiples and move between them constantly.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: February 25, 2008, 06:43:42 AM

Can't you alternatively turn your MWD on a fast moving interceptor and be reasonably safe?  somethign like 4-5km pres econd at least?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: February 25, 2008, 06:51:18 AM

Can't you alternatively turn your MWD on a fast moving interceptor and be reasonably safe?  somethign like 4-5km pres econd at least?

Almost completely.  This is a frustrating thing for a covops pilot: your target is moving at high speed, so by the time you get there they are a long way away. 

If you are really good you can find something they are burning towards - a Celestial body usually so they can instawarp out to it at 100 or something if busted) - warp to that, find them on scan again at their new position (assuming you're getting tiny deviation - while getting your gang to go to that location too.  Then you warp to your target at 100 - to try and get there before them, then get your gang to warp to you at 100, so they get there ahead of the target.  You probably want to leave a handful at the standard warpins at the celestial body if it is the only one nearby.

I did this for a Sylph gang recently, got a perfect warpin on a Stain ishtar, gave them the word, and discovered that the impatient fucks had left the system a couple of minutes before...  ACK!

Another way to use this when safespotting (as the potential target) is in a gang, when you have one very fast ship: they burn ahead at uncatchable speeds, and everyone else warps to them at zero when they reach 150km.  The average velocity of the gang then becomes that of the inty.

Twitter - Endieposts

Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 25, 2008, 08:27:11 AM

If you do this (and go AFK) you need make sure you are very fast (or dont go AFK), I know of one case where the cov ops pilot called in a faster ship which (eventually) caught the MWD'ing ship up and then killed it
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: February 25, 2008, 08:54:26 AM

If you do this (and go AFK) you need make sure you are very fast (or dont go AFK), I know of one case where the cov ops pilot called in a faster ship which (eventually) caught the MWD'ing ship up and then killed it

I also read a thread from someone saying "how did I die?!?" after doing this.  I think you'd only be safe if you were fast enough to get off the grid before a good covops could get and provide a warpin plus the time needed for the inty to warp in and start chasing.  Since that would probably be at least 15 m/s on most normal-sized grids I reckon that such a pilot wouldn't risk his Gistii MWD and snakes by going afk like that anyway...

Twitter - Endieposts

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: February 25, 2008, 09:55:48 AM

Anyone have any proposed fittings for a Helios? I was wanting to fit one out to hunt and scan down prey. My general support skills are good, and I'll have something akin to the "gold standard" for scanning listed in the first post. I've been playing with EFT, but I must be making some wrong assumptions about the differences between cloaking devices. You can add rigs if you want to be extra-nice. :)

I was hoping to outfit a Helios in the next few weeks and practice scanning in my missioning area, then fly it out to Sank and store it until it's needed.

Edited to add: My primary problem seeps to be CPU-based. Pushing Cov-ops to Level 4 helps a lot there. Between the Cov-ops cloak and the scan probe launcher, I have virtually no CPU left at Cov-Ops 3/5. (I am right in assuming you probe something out, cloak yourself with the Cov-ops cloak, warp there, and then invite the gang in if it's worth killing?).

You can't probe while cloaked, right?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:01:01 AM by Morat20 »
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 25, 2008, 10:31:14 AM

Anyone have any proposed fittings for a Helios? I was wanting to fit one out to hunt and scan down prey. My general support skills are good, and I'll have something akin to the "gold standard" for scanning listed in the first post. I've been playing with EFT, but I must be making some wrong assumptions about the differences between cloaking devices. You can add rigs if you want to be extra-nice. :)

I was hoping to outfit a Helios in the next few weeks and practice scanning in my missioning area, then fly it out to Sank and store it until it's needed.

Edited to add: My primary problem seeps to be CPU-based. Pushing Cov-ops to Level 4 helps a lot there. Between the Cov-ops cloak and the scan probe launcher, I have virtually no CPU left at Cov-Ops 3/5. (I am right in assuming you probe something out, cloak yourself with the Cov-ops cloak, warp there, and then invite the gang in if it's worth killing?).

You can't probe while cloaked, right?

I have fitting problems on my Buzzard and I have Cov Ops 4 - I don't think you can get any half decent setups on once you fit the probe launcher (are the sisters faction probe launchers easier to fit?)

You cant launch probes while cloaked but you can perform scans on existing probes while cloaked
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: February 25, 2008, 10:57:38 AM

I have plenty of empty slots on my buzzard: I care deeply about having three modules: the covops cloak, the recon probe launcher and the MWD for getting out of gatecamps.  I also fit an MAPC for grid and a cap module in the mids for recharge rate, since buzzard + MWD equals tiny cap.  And a warp core stabiliser, also for gatecamps.  Some people fit an offline weapon in a high slot, or a cyno generator, or a salvage mod etc.  I don't need those.

Twitter - Endieposts

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 25, 2008, 11:09:14 AM

I have fitting problems on my Buzzard and I have Cov Ops 4 - I don't think you can get any half decent setups on once you fit the probe launcher (are the sisters faction probe launchers easier to fit?)

You cant launch probes while cloaked but you can perform scans on existing probes while cloaked
Well, I can get the launcher, the covops cloak, and still mount a few other things (MWD, ship scanners, etc) but I have to fit a coproccessor. Mostly I'm wondering what else I'd need as a Helios pilot besides the cov-ops cloak and the probe launcher.

I'm working under the assumption that if I'm being shot at, I'm fucked anyways.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #69 on: February 25, 2008, 11:16:45 AM

that's easy, fit overdrive injectors :)

I wish someone had told me about the cheetah, it seems to be clearly better than the buzzard and I wish I had trained for it, instead.

Extra capacitor recharge plus faster base speed plus 3 low slots for overdrive injectors = the win. The only downside is you really need covops 4 instead of covops 3.

My buzzard setup, this works with covops 3, engineering 4, energy upgrades 3 hull upgrades 2
1 covops cloak
1 recon probe launcher
1mn digital booster rockets (MWD)
1 cap recharger II
2 overdrive injector system II

I'll probably start with a stab and a micro aux power core, like endie, until I get a feel for how easy/hard it is to run camps. In general I like the one above.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:40:53 AM by bhodi »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Sneaky Ninja Skills: Probing & Covops Training Op 23rd February 2000ET Sankassen  
Jump to: