Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 12:10:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: 5 years and still going 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 5 years and still going  (Read 185338 times)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: August 22, 2007, 02:40:11 PM

To be fair, I am aware that sci-fi used to refer to something different. Essentialy, I though it refered to stories in which the speculative technology and social situations were the main focus of the story. 2001 is traditional sci-fi. Alien is a Horror movie in a sci-fi setting. Very little stuff made these days fits what used to be the "sci-fi genre". I would say Children of Men is one of the few recent examples that does fit it, and theres not a single ray gun or spaceship to be seen.

To me this is the High Concept/Low Concept thing.  High Concept is stuff like Phillip K. Dick where even The Short Happy Life Of The Brown Oxford qualifies as Sci-Fi even though it is about a common everyday shoe.  Low Concept is when you get something like Spaceballs where the Sci-Fi is really just a setting used because it's cool and there is not even an attempt to explore any deeper questions.

Asimov used robots in I, Robot to explore questions of slavery, determinism, identity, creation and etc... the movie used robots but really wasn't all that interested opening a dialog on any big questions.

My point though is that it is all sci-fi and it (Sci-Fi) has always been a setting (John Carter of Mars (1911) or The Galactic Lensmen (1928?) for examples of early low concept sci-fi) the drama, comedy, action and etc... elements aren't instead of the Sci-Fi label they are additional descriptors to it.

edited to add dates to illustrate the point.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:45:19 PM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: August 22, 2007, 03:05:36 PM

Yeah, in book form it's Sci-Fi.  In the movie, it's a comedy because the whole things about Robin Williams dying.   I mean, that's some funny shit.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: August 23, 2007, 02:06:19 AM

Many Episodes of TNG were fucking played out IN THE HOLODECK.

Dream sequence.  Magic.  Drug sequence.  Shared hallucination.  Flashback/flashforward.  There are numerous ways in which holodeck-esque scenes could be carried out sans sci-fi.  Modern sci-fi is rarely more than fiction which uses the setting as a prop.  Classic sci-fi normally used it to help mask questions about humanity, such as using androids to questoin the meaning or future of humanity.  Aliens can mask questions of racism, culture, etc.  You don't need sci-fi as vehicles for any of this though, and they're all questions which have been explored in plenty of depth long before this was even a genre.  For example, you have a holodeck episode where the people are trapped there, but aren't aware that everything is fake?  Rework of Plato's cave. 

Sorry mate, I missed you in my skim reading.

I disagree with what you said.  For a different point of view, look at that episode where Beverly was being 'haunted' by a Lantern.  It was fucking lame.  However, the episode with Riker in the Mental Asylum WAS a way to do the same 'holodeck' story without the frigging holodeck, so I guess your argument may have legs.

But I know you'll disagree no matter what my stance is, so I'm going to go with the Magic Haunted Lantern being Fucking Lame.  It just needed fucking Jupiter Jones to come in and solve the case.  Fucking LAME.

Fucking Lame :  What wins internet arguments.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: August 23, 2007, 02:18:06 AM

I never saw Firefly but even if it's 'just a western in space' it is still Sci-Fi.  Because, you know, it's in space.  Where a western would, you know, have to be in the Old West...

You should.  Unless you don't like stuff written by Joss Whedon.  It's great.  It also has the appropriate piece of dialogue:

Wash: That sounds like something out of science fiction!
Zoe: Honey, you live on a spaceship.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: August 23, 2007, 03:01:28 AM

I'd go fruether than Draconian: I hate most of Joss Whedon's whiny nonsense, but Firefly is from an altogether better place.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #530 on: August 23, 2007, 03:15:26 AM

A guy at work gave me his firefly boxed set because he bought a 2nd one.  I thought that was weird, plus I wasn't interested in it, anyway I was bored one night and started watching it.  Didn't get much sleep for a few days watching it all.  Really can't believe they cancelled it, considering the normal crap that is on TV.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: August 23, 2007, 03:19:01 AM

It has a special place in my heart merely for the fact that there's a Baldwin in it that's WORTH A DAMN.

Truly epic.

schild
Administrator

Reply #532 on: August 23, 2007, 03:23:49 AM

Really can't believe they cancelled it, considering the normal crap that is on TV.

I can. Westerns don't get good ratings.

The only people that like westerns are old men from a previous generation who talk differently than I do. And probably don't like that gosh-darned TV set.

And it takes a certain kind of nerd to enjoy Joss Whedon. I, personally, think his writing is unbearable trash. Honestly, I'm surprised that show lasted as long as it did.

I was more shocked by the cancellations of Wonderfalls, Veritas, Sportsnight, Surface, and The Tick. And, of course, Dead Like Me.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: August 23, 2007, 03:33:04 AM

Do you practice in front of the mirror ?

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #534 on: August 23, 2007, 03:34:36 AM

Really can't believe they cancelled it, considering the normal crap that is on TV.

The only people that like westerns are old men from a previous generation who talk differently than I do. And probably don't like that gosh-darned TV set.

And it takes a certain kind of nerd to enjoy Joss Whedon. I, personally, think his writing is unbearable trash. Honestly, I'm surprised that show lasted as long as it did.

I was more shocked by the cancellations of Wonderfalls, Veritas, Sportsnight, Surface, and The Tick. And, of course, Dead Like Me.

Yeah, I liked buffy too.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #535 on: August 23, 2007, 03:56:36 AM

It has a special place in my heart merely for the fact that there's a Baldwin in it that's WORTH A DAMN.

He's worth a damn because he's not related.   I'm sure the Baldwin family had a fit when they realized they couldn't get SAG to change his name.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: August 23, 2007, 04:01:07 AM

Wow.

The More You Know.

Cheers, I suspect I'm one of a long line of retards who merely made an assumption.  That explains it all !

:)

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #537 on: August 23, 2007, 05:24:53 AM

I thought the same thing about him. My theory was that he was only half-Baldwin or adopted or something, hence the lack of suckiness.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #538 on: August 23, 2007, 05:42:51 AM

Is this whole post a joke? I can't tell. I don't think I've ever heard of any of those shows (minus the Tick). Maybe I'm a certain type of nerd that likes Firefly but has no radar for these actual 'good' shows you mentioned.

You are the first person I have talked to that watched the show that didnt like it. Ah well.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #539 on: August 23, 2007, 06:34:38 AM

The only reason I knew Adam Baldwin wasn't a "real" Baldwin is because I'd looked him up previously.  I'd recognized him in Independence Day and wanted to be sure.  I thought the same thing until I read the bio. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #540 on: August 23, 2007, 07:11:56 AM

I tried watching Sportsnight but the canned laughter track put me right off.  You American's are strange sometimes, can someone explain to me why Seinfeld was so popular?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: August 23, 2007, 07:48:22 AM

Seinfeld was popular because there were no real rules for the show, outside of the cast and sets. It didn't follow the usual path of sitcoms because it didn't devolve into a soap opera like most do. Nothing remarkable about the show ever changed, except the situations, remaining a show of single episodes about nothing, something they even took to an artform in the one ongoing storyline they ever did (them sitting around writing a show for NBC about nothing, complete with a Pilot they filmed and showed with doubles doing the exact things the main characters do.)

There was almost no evolution to anything, which I think is part of its staying power. And it was replete with stupid events, wierd terminology (jerkstore, man hands, regifter, etc) that were catchy enough to enter popular culture. It still is very popular in syndication.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: August 23, 2007, 08:19:43 AM

I still laugh at it and choose to watch it over other television shows. :)

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: August 23, 2007, 08:23:13 AM

Dead like me was a really good show.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #544 on: August 23, 2007, 10:37:51 AM

I tried watching Sportsnight but the canned laughter track put me right off.  You American's are strange sometimes, can someone explain to me why Seinfeld was so popular?

Since Darniaq responded, you have to explain why Coupling and Black Books was considered funny.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: August 23, 2007, 10:51:20 AM

Yes, why was it canceled again?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
schild
Administrator

Reply #546 on: August 23, 2007, 10:52:48 AM

Yes, why was it canceled again?

Ellen Muth had freakishly huge hands?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: August 23, 2007, 11:15:21 AM

Since Darniaq responded, you have to explain why Coupling and Black Books was considered funny.

Coupling wasn't funny: the Welsh bloke was funny and he happened to be in Coupling.  When he wasn't in series three, but went to do voiceovers for Microsoft ads instead, Coupling was apalling.

Black Books was funny because of Bill Bailey's range of expression, Dylan Moran's comic acting, and because the scriptwriters were actually very talented and put effort into making many episodes into complex shaggy-dog stories (the gradual build-up to the Frankenstein episode in the wine-bottle episode springs to mind).  It also had a density of jokes that came close to the US, ensemble-written form.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #548 on: August 23, 2007, 12:00:14 PM

Dead Like Me was cancelled because despite having some great characters and a really cool premise, the show got to be really boring and repetative.

Laugh tracks are warning sirens designed to let me know to change the chanel before I accidentaly watch drek. Unfortunately, they occasionally get added to shows that don't deserve them, likely due to the oppinions of a room full of inbred focus groupers who showed up for the $50 and free cookies.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #549 on: August 23, 2007, 12:08:10 PM

"shiznitz - WUA and Slayerik are arguing which side of a glory hole is less gay."

I really have made it! I hit 1000 posts this week and am included in a sig!  Rock Out

Yahoo!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
schild
Administrator

Reply #550 on: August 23, 2007, 12:41:12 PM

the show got to be really boring and repetative.

This has NEVER gotten a show canceled as fast as Dead Like Me was.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #551 on: August 23, 2007, 01:12:15 PM

Black books I can't remember watching more than once.  Coupling 1-2 weren't terrible, I liked the episode when one of the guys picks up a girl on a train by pretending he had a wooden leg.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: August 23, 2007, 01:56:18 PM

Coupling wasn't funny: the Welsh bloke was funny and he happened to be in Coupling.  When he wasn't in series three, but went to do voiceovers for Microsoft ads instead, Coupling was apalling.

Black Books was funny because of Bill Bailey's range of expression, Dylan Moran's comic acting, and because the scriptwriters were actually very talented and put effort into making many episodes into complex shaggy-dog stories (the gradual build-up to the Frankenstein episode in the wine-bottle episode springs to mind).  It also had a density of jokes that came close to the US, ensemble-written form.

I agree about Coupling.  Black Books, on the other hand, should have been funny for all the reasons you mention - Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey (who is my favourite stand-up of all time) and co-written by Graham Linehan - it just never tickled me that much.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: August 24, 2007, 01:12:56 AM

Black books I can't remember watching more than once.  Coupling 1-2 weren't terrible, I liked the episode when one of the guys picks up a girl on a train by pretending he had a wooden leg.

That was my favourite, too: by far the best scripted, and with groundwork that paid off in lines like "I have seen the gates of heaven... and I have too many legs."  But again, I think I liked that so much because it was basically about the Welsh bloke.

It was sometimes very well written though.  One of the cleverest sit-com jokes I have ever seen was the centerpiece of one episode, where you saw the same party from the point of view of the male and then the female, shot pretty much scene for scene. The comedy revolving entirely around the fact that there was an ugly girl in the female version who simply didn't exist in the scenes as seen by the male, totally changing the meaning of the repeated dialogue when you realised that she was speaking too.

Twitter - Endieposts

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #554 on: August 24, 2007, 02:27:49 AM

Black Books was funny because of Bill Bailey's range of expression, Dylan Moran's comic acting, and because the scriptwriters were actually very talented and put effort into making many episodes into complex shaggy-dog stories (the gradual build-up to the Frankenstein episode in the wine-bottle episode springs to mind).

From the same writers as Black Books, another episode of Father Ted.

Father Ted - Escape from Victory part 1
Father Ted - Escape from Victory part 2
Father Ted - Escape from Victory part 3
Father Ted - Escape from Victory part 4
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: August 24, 2007, 03:33:55 AM

Speaking of Graham Linehan, the second series of The IT Crowd is starting tonight.  It's a bit hit and miss but on the plus side it has Chris Morris in it and one of the main characters has been seen to wear a t-shirt with the 256th level of pac-man on it.

EvilJohn
Developers

Realtime Worlds

Reply #556 on: August 24, 2007, 10:27:40 AM

Sports Night is what put Aaron Sorkin on the map I believe, and was actually quite funny with the main two characters (the two anchors) banter. However, the laugh track was definitely teh devil there. Too bad about Studio 60, it had potential... but too pretentious for my tastes.

As far as Black Books (funny at time, and mostly Bill Bailey, who is amazing) or Coupling (meh), if you even vaguely liked them I'd recommend Spaced (the guys from Shaun of the Dead, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost) and/or West Green Wing (a bit more surreal but quite funny). Both are actually very funny, and Spaced is some of the best TV (well technically DVD) I've ever watched.

Aside-- New poster, long time reader. Figured it would be safe enough to chime in on TV shows.

--Edit: Sorry had Sorkin on the brain that is supposed to be Green Wing.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 10:30:40 AM by EvilJohn »

EJ Moreland 'UncleEej'
Director of Business Planning, All Points Bulletin
Realtime Worlds
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: August 24, 2007, 10:28:35 AM

30 Rock beats the crap out of Studio 60.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
EvilJohn
Developers

Realtime Worlds

Reply #558 on: August 24, 2007, 10:35:55 AM

30 Rock beats the crap out of Studio 60.

Go figure, the original ads for it looked like un-funny and ass. Now that I am over in the land of Kilts, I see less current US TV... someone native to the UK explain what the hell is up with Sky's obsession over the Simpsons and Family Guy. Funny stuff, but several episodes back-to-back nightly is a bit much.

EJ Moreland 'UncleEej'
Director of Business Planning, All Points Bulletin
Realtime Worlds
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #559 on: August 24, 2007, 10:37:39 AM

I always mean to watch 30 rock because the two episodes I have seen were really funny but I always, always forget.  That's okay though, the first season comes out on DVD September fourth so I will get to enjoy all those episodes without commercials.

I'm guessing they are going to start Lost much later than normal because season three doesn't come out until December, usually they release them before the next season airs.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: 5 years and still going  
Jump to: