Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:20:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2232155 times)
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1680 on: September 23, 2009, 12:14:15 PM

The Witcher is a great substitute for a MMO.

I tried the original and then later the EE and still couldn't get into that game. I think it might of helped had I realized I could have the voice acting be in the original language with English subtitles. The conversations in English were just awful and completely killed my immersion. Even with EE. And once my immersion was compromised, then the repetitive MMO style quests and clicky combat became more prevalent, thus ruining my experience further and killing my mood to play it.

Eh... whine whine bitch moan complain etc. I just really wanted to like this game, but didn't.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1681 on: September 23, 2009, 12:17:06 PM

Sounds like you don't care for MMOs either. awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1682 on: September 23, 2009, 12:33:22 PM

Titan Quest and Dawn of War II.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1683 on: September 23, 2009, 03:11:27 PM

Like a bee flying from flower to flower, I have bought even more games: Stalker and Penumbra Collection. Both are scary as fuck and I can't play them by myself if it's dark outside.  ACK!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1684 on: September 24, 2009, 06:50:39 AM

Just rocked through Maneater last night on Demon's Souls.  Then did Adjudicator, Dragon God, Leechmonger and Dirty Colossus.  I had always been stuck on Maneater.  Had to take a break from the Souls due to work related stuff.  I never had attempted anything in 4-1 or 5-1 and was shocked at how easy the bosses were there.  The Katana guys are like 50 times harder than Adjudicator.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Phire
Terracotta Army

Reply #1685 on: September 24, 2009, 07:00:01 AM

On my third run through ODST this time on coop. With 4 player we are destroying Heroic like it easy difficulty and the people I am playing with aren't the best players. Can't wait to do one more go through on legendary and then its off to Firefight!
You know how I know you're Nix's roommate?

You like Halo.

What can I say? I can't resist the best first-person shooter mechanics out there. I play just about every shooter that comes out (And NiX can attest to this I do play everything even the crap) and I am always pulled back to Halo.

It is a combination of great AI, weapon balance, tuned game mechanics (grenade/melee use) and fun scenarios that you can approach from multiple angles that always have me coming back for more. And even though it is technically dated and might not be pioneering the shooter genre it is still the most fun shooter to play solo or co-op.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1686 on: September 24, 2009, 10:07:00 AM

I beat the fucking The Fallen boss last night (Last Remnant).  Completely awesome, I was afraid I was going to have to level up a lot or make some better weapons.  I really thought I was dead (again) but MAGICALLY my last standing union dodged some Bad Shit and then we went into Round 10.  After Round 10 against The Fallen, everyone dies no matter what.  Somehow, Torgal pulled out a Hawkarang and killed that sonofabitch.  So, fuck yea!

Now I have to figure out where the sekrit dungeon is that I supposedly can enter now.

Also, picking flowers in The Witcher. Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1687 on: September 24, 2009, 02:22:07 PM

I can't resist the best first-person shooter mechanics out there.

Obviously you have never played a FPS on a PC. Anything that uses a thumbstick for something as precise as aiming a reticule is instant fail.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1688 on: September 24, 2009, 03:37:46 PM

Not necessarily.  But the game's I'd use as counter points aren't technically FPSs primarily.

Only Halo I played was Halo 3.  I thought it was completely ordinary.  However, I'm not much a fan of shooters. Those without some hybrid RPG element or  a selling point other than the shootiness tend to fall flat for me.

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1689 on: September 24, 2009, 05:34:28 PM

The best FPS ever was Blood.  Spent many an evening with the Napalm launcher listening to my opponents bitch after I set them on fire.  It is really the gold standard for FPS gaming.
Phire
Terracotta Army

Reply #1690 on: September 24, 2009, 08:48:00 PM

I can't resist the best first-person shooter mechanics out there.

Obviously you have never played a FPS on a PC. Anything that uses a thumbstick for something as precise as aiming a reticule is instant fail.

I am not referring to controls I am talking about the game mechanics...ie: weapons, run speed, ability to throw grenades or melee at any time (Halo CE was the first to do this), and just the general strategy involved in surviving a firefight.

And if you avoid console shooters just because you suck at aiming with an analog stick then you are missing out some amazing games on all 3 platforms. Sure it is not as precise as a mouse but I bet I could hold my own and probably beat a good chunk of PC gamers with a 360 controller.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1691 on: September 24, 2009, 09:53:55 PM

Um.. Medal of Honor (or Call of Duty) was doing this years ago. Left-shift to introduce a German soldier to the butt of your rifle, and whateverthehotkeywas to throw a grenade.

It's not Rocket Applicances.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1692 on: September 24, 2009, 11:04:55 PM

Thumbstick is better for aiming precisely because it's not as precise as a mouse. It limits twitch-fests. It makes shooting more interesting because it's not "click on this head icon to kill".

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1693 on: September 24, 2009, 11:33:15 PM

This poor quality image was brought to you by the following message:

You are wrong. Totally Wrong. So Just Stop.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1694 on: September 25, 2009, 12:01:51 AM

Was that just the "Shooters on the console are better because the console doesn't care that my aiming sucks" defense?

I mean I couldn't care less because I only play shooters if they promise a good story and on easy so that I don't have to do as much of that retarded shooting stuff between story elements, but thats what it sounded like.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 12:03:33 AM by Tebonas »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1695 on: September 25, 2009, 12:57:35 AM

Yea, that's one of the stupider things I've ever read.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1696 on: September 25, 2009, 02:26:38 AM

Was that just the "Shooters on the console are better because the console doesn't care that my aiming sucks" defense?

I mean I couldn't care less because I only play shooters if they promise a good story and on easy so that I don't have to do as much of that retarded shooting stuff between story elements, but thats what it sounded like.

Why does this have to be some cretinous e-peen stretching exercise? I like to think of myself as distinctly average on both pc and console shooters, but playing on consoles just feels better because it's less hectic and head-shotty.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1697 on: September 25, 2009, 02:53:37 AM

Sense, you don't make it.

Me saying I'm probably one of the worst shooter gamers here is an e-peen contest?

I suspect being hectic and head-shotty is a good thing for most players who like shooters (at least the hectic part if I remember those rocket-jumping ferrets on crack correctly).
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1698 on: September 25, 2009, 02:58:50 AM

Sense, you don't make it.

Me saying I'm probably one of the worst shooter gamers here is an e-peen contest?

I suspect being hectic and head-shotty is a good thing for most players who like shooters (at least the hectic part if I remember those rocket-jumping ferrets on crack correctly).

I certainly felt you tried to paint my preference as stemming from some kind of lacking on my part.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1699 on: September 25, 2009, 03:14:50 AM

I could understand that defense to some extent.  I'd certainly say that console shooters generally put people on a more level playing field than PC shooters since everyone is generally using the same hardware when playing on consoles, aside from a small percentage that are probably using different controllers (which still wouldn't make as big a difference as someone using a shitty mouse vs. a more expensive gaming mouse).

Also, while mouse aiming is more precise, I find I can't use a keyboard for shit in the heat of battle in FPS's or MMO's.  Trying to find one button out of the 100+ on my keyboard to switch weapons, or reload, or whatever while moving and shooting is a pain in the ass for me.

So yeah, put me in the "console shooters make me feel like less of a tard" category as well.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1700 on: September 25, 2009, 03:53:24 AM

Please don't tell me the addition of CTRL, SHIFT and SPACEBAR for sprint/jump/crouch function is too much for the average gamer. I'm already  awesome, for real at the praising of console shooters for having more precise shooting thumbsticks. Too much.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1701 on: September 25, 2009, 05:42:17 AM

I'm already  awesome, for real at the praising of console shooters for having more precise shooting thumbsticks.

Who said that?
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1702 on: September 25, 2009, 06:38:51 AM

Ohhhhh, I see. Oh I get it. It's more fun on thumbsticks cause it's harder to master.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Phire
Terracotta Army

Reply #1703 on: September 25, 2009, 06:59:06 AM

Um.. Medal of Honor (or Call of Duty) was doing this years ago. Left-shift to introduce a German soldier to the butt of your rifle, and whateverthehotkeywas to throw a grenade.

It's not Rocket Applicances.

Halo 1 - November 15, 2001
Call of Duty - October 29, 2003

And Medal of Honor did not have melee attacks or hot keys for grenade throws.

Better luck next time!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1704 on: September 25, 2009, 07:17:01 AM

I find I can't use a keyboard for shit in the heat of battle in FPS's or MMO's.  Trying to find one button out of the 100+ on my keyboard to switch weapons, or reload, or whatever while moving and shooting is a pain in the ass for me.

So yeah, put me in the "console shooters make me feel like less of a tard" category as well.

Muscle memory.  If you are thinking "I need to press the f key" its already too slow. 
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1705 on: September 25, 2009, 08:31:36 AM

Ohhhhh, I see. Oh I get it. It's more fun on thumbsticks cause it's harder to master.

It's more of a game that way, maybe even more so in single player. It's especially true when you compare games like Stalker and Halo3. In the former difficulty comes from enemies being terminators with x-ray eyes and you kill them by aiming so fast that you'll get screen tearing without v-sync. In the latter there's no need for super fast, super accurate enemies because you can't kill them too fast thanks to gamepad limitations.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1706 on: September 25, 2009, 08:32:48 AM

Thread delivering, 75% complete...
[=============             ]

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1707 on: September 25, 2009, 08:36:06 AM

Thread delivering, 75% complete...
[=============             ]

;_;
WayAbvPar

Reply #1708 on: September 25, 2009, 09:24:30 AM

I prefer to cut my toenails with a guillotine. It doesn't need to be fast, and it provides me with a challenge.  Ohhhhh, I see.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1709 on: September 25, 2009, 09:37:07 AM

You guys sound like you hate gaming.  why so serious?
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #1710 on: September 25, 2009, 10:07:56 AM

Didn't Day of Defeat have attacks with the bayonet in 2000? I have distinct memories of stabbing bitches well before Halo did it.
Phire
Terracotta Army

Reply #1711 on: September 25, 2009, 10:08:11 AM

While I don't share your opinion that game pads are better for fps I do not discredit console shooters because of this, they can be as good and sometimes better than Pc shooters.

I have had the same impression on this place in that these guys really don't enjoy gaming unless its PC...and its supported by Schild.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1712 on: September 25, 2009, 10:13:45 AM

It's more of a game that way, maybe even more so in single player. It's especially true when you compare games like Stalker and Halo3. In the former difficulty comes from enemies being terminators with x-ray eyes and you kill them by aiming so fast that you'll get screen tearing without v-sync. In the latter there's no need for super fast, super accurate enemies because you can't kill them too fast thanks to gamepad limitations.

Basically one of my biggest problems with Halo is the slow as molasses combat and pacing, and especially with aiming.  its as if you are playing a game underwater.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1713 on: September 25, 2009, 10:35:25 AM

Back on topic..

Started playing Batman: Arkham Asylumn.  I am enjoying this so far.  It's not "OMG GOTY" material for me like some are proclaiming, but it's good stuff and very well done.  The Riddler shit can die in a fire, however.

-Rasix
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1714 on: September 25, 2009, 04:52:41 PM

You guys sound like you hate gaming.  why so serious?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: