Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:49:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2232449 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6685 on: February 02, 2013, 12:34:35 AM

Have not gotten very far into Crimson Shroud, but I'm in love with the tiny text and inscrutable attributes on everything.  Also the lack of levels, that's neat.
I bought this and played it all of once before losing interest. The combat was pretty cool but the story wasn't very interesting to me (at least early on) and there was way too much of it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6686 on: February 03, 2013, 11:25:50 PM

Ordered Ni No Kuni and it came in early. Very long and hand-holdy tutorial but cool so far.
I was just about to come here and ask about this game.  It looks fantastic.  What's the general consensus?
Scroll up a few posts.

Ah shoot, don't know how I missed that.  Would be cool if you could come back and post more thoughts when you get a bit further along in the game.  There is something about the visual style that turns me on to it, but I'm not certain the gameplay is for me.  How's the story?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #6687 on: February 04, 2013, 01:12:36 AM

From what I've seen and been told (watched a friend play a good bit of it), Ni No Kuni is a thoroughly average game that could've been absolutely stellar if some more effort was put into it. Pretty much every facet of the game seems to have some major flaw to it. Combat is interesting, but the absolutely atrocious party AI nearly ruins it. The game world is interesting, but there's too much backtracking and you get a teleport spell right after you stop needing it. The story has some pretty cool hooks, but is marred by some occasionally-insipid writing (my tolerance for Japanese-style dramatic bullshit has gone way down over the years), a lot of repetition (you'll be collecting sets of 3 macguffins a lot), and the villains
Granted, this is all second-hand, but if you can stomach the terrible party AI and the times when the writing goes south, I imagine you'd probably like it.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:15:02 AM by koro »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6688 on: February 04, 2013, 08:20:24 PM

I started playing through Assassins Creed 1 on the PC. It took some time to get controls that didn't annoy the hell out of me. Now I'm leaving piles of guards everywhere.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #6689 on: February 05, 2013, 03:39:18 AM

Dear Ni No Kuni, please stop with the tutorial stuff- it has been like 5-6 hours and I know how the game works

just please

stop

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #6690 on: February 05, 2013, 04:33:26 AM

Outside of the lovely world design, its a totally standard JRPG that shows off why the genre has been dying over the past 5 years, and how far they have sunk in comparison to western RPgs.

1) a tutorial that lasts for hours because people are apparently stupid.

2) even worse, a tutorial that lasts for hours and restricts you to the most basic moves - all you literally do is press attack for hours!

3) respawning enemies around every corner - because if you can beat one monster, why not make the player fight them 5 times in a row for no purpose!

4) a poorly designed real time battle system

5) grind grind grind grind grind

It's depressing really because there are some truly lovely aspects to this game, and I'm going to persevere to see more of it. But the fact remains games of this design are needlessly stuck in the past and they drag down the whole genre. It's stupid that it took a minor release Wii game (Xenoblade) to show the genre actually could evolve and had life in it.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #6691 on: February 05, 2013, 02:02:16 PM

Took a little break from Dark Souls to FINALLY play some Torchlight 2. It's so nice that after the careful combat and movement of Dark Souls, I can just run around like a maniac, gibbing EVERYTHING.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #6692 on: February 05, 2013, 02:33:32 PM

Try Path of Exile. It's free and better. Really the best ARPG I've played since D2.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #6693 on: February 05, 2013, 03:11:46 PM

Try Path of Exile. It's free and better. Really the best ARPG I've played since D2.

Tried it and went right back to Torchlight 2.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #6694 on: February 05, 2013, 05:24:03 PM

It's interestingly polarizing.  For all the awesome talk of PoE, I just can't get into it.  It's technically competent, and I can see it's a good game.  But I just prefer the feel and aesthetics of Torchlight 2. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6695 on: February 06, 2013, 07:00:23 AM

TL2 is smoother and faster paced.  TL2 is like D2 where PoE is D1 to me.  They both have things that are great about them, but there is a different feel to them.  I'd really like TL2 smoothness with PoE's mechanics.

At least they both got loot right.  How the hell does a Diablo game mess up loot?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #6696 on: February 06, 2013, 07:14:42 AM

It's interestingly polarizing.  For all the awesome talk of PoE, I just can't get into it.  It's technically competent, and I can see it's a good game.  But I just prefer the feel and aesthetics of Torchlight 2. 

This is pretty much my thoughts exactly. I don't know why it took me so long to really start playing TL2 (yes I do, GW2), but I am loving it.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6697 on: February 06, 2013, 08:03:20 AM

I think the polarizing is by how much of a ARPG neckbeard you are.  If you were playing D2LoD and wishing you could level your gems.. *puff* and dude, what if we could get magic and rare potion bottles.  Fuuuucck! Ohhhhh, I see.

Anyway, I'm apparently someone that likes the complexity of PoE in favor of TL2's Cartoon Dungeon Show.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #6698 on: February 06, 2013, 10:27:34 AM

What about those of us who like PoE, TL2, and  both Diablo games?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6699 on: February 06, 2013, 10:49:30 AM

Well, I do actually like TL2 quite a bit, just not enough for it to be my #1 ARPG over PoE.

both Diablo games?

awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6700 on: February 06, 2013, 12:19:51 PM

Divine Divinity was the best ARPG
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #6701 on: February 06, 2013, 01:40:42 PM

I'm level 24 in PoE and I haven't got any uniques or set items yet, so clearly it is a terrible game with incompetent developers.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #6702 on: February 06, 2013, 03:59:35 PM

I oddly don't miss set items in PoE. They've ended up being a mess in both WoW and D3 so I lack faith in designers being able to do them properly.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6703 on: February 06, 2013, 04:03:38 PM

i've installed PoE and I like the design.  The pacing is a bit slow at lower levels, but I like the underlying mechanics, so I will press on. 
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #6704 on: February 06, 2013, 05:35:15 PM

I oddly don't miss set items in PoE. They've ended up being a mess in both WoW and D3 so I lack faith in designers being able to do them properly.
Honestly I didn't like them in D2 either. They go against the whole idea of mixing and matching your own personal set of perfect loot, and low-level ones were essentially just uniques because you'd never complete a set before outleveling them anyway.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6705 on: February 07, 2013, 05:23:12 AM

I never actually collected a full set of anything outside Titan Quest.  Also, I might be imagining that one.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6706 on: February 07, 2013, 06:50:45 AM

Well, I do actually like TL2 quite a bit, just not enough for it to be my #1 ARPG over PoE.

both Diablo games?

awesome, for real

I second this smiley.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6707 on: February 07, 2013, 06:52:18 AM

Honestly I didn't like them in D2 either. They go against the whole idea of mixing and matching your own personal set of perfect loot, and low-level ones were essentially just uniques because you'd never complete a set before outleveling them anyway.

The biggest problem with sets is set bonuses.  They are often so good that you end up having to keep items that are inferior so that you keep the bonus.  On the other hand, I liked when you completed a set in Diablo 2 that it would change the look of your character dramatically.  I'd be happy to have more cosmetic changes linked to set bonuses rather than stat/power bonuses.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #6708 on: February 07, 2013, 10:50:11 AM

In practice, sets in D2 weren't that bad. Few full sets were worth collecting, and most of those were low level sets like Sigon's or Isenhart's. Most of the common high-end sets were used piecemeal, and one of the only full sets I've seen in use was Immortal King, and you need a Barb built specifically for the set to make real use of it.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6709 on: February 07, 2013, 03:49:12 PM

Finally decided to beat Skyrim, so I think I'm done.  Did a lot of the major/guild story lines but still only ended up at lvl 49.  Blacksmithing was the only skill I ground out.  Still a lot left to do, but it's hard for me to keep playing a game once I've beaten it.

So, now what..  Maybe some PS3 games (Resonance of Fate, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea, Dark Souls), Sleeping Dogs, or go back and try to finish Saints Row 3.   And LoL league games, because I suck and can't stop playing at least 1 a day.

Could always go back to SWTOR or TSW as well.  Both games are fun, but TSW I've technically "beaten" in my mind (main quest).  I could try another faction, but I don't see how anyone can be more fun/funny than the Illuminati.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:51:41 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6710 on: February 07, 2013, 03:55:06 PM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6711 on: February 07, 2013, 03:57:01 PM

$20 dollars? No thanks.  Already did Dawnguard and my Hearthfire house CTDs me when I enter.  I've got tons of alchemy stuff and vanity items that I'll never see again.   DLC in these games never seems to be worth the price point, even on deep sale.

Oddly enough, the Witcher 3 announcement has me feeling dumb enough to try Witcher 2 again.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:58:34 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #6712 on: February 07, 2013, 04:13:41 PM

Man, don't do it, you know you'll just wind up with a sad.

God Save the Horn Players
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #6713 on: February 07, 2013, 07:59:53 PM

It's decent enough game with no pandering to the romantic folks.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #6714 on: February 08, 2013, 06:35:46 AM

PoE and TL2 have me quite satisfied in ARPG land. TL2 for lighter, faster paced combat with more constant rewards, PoE for the more spergy in-depth build stuff.

I think Path of Exile is the best ARPG out there now in terms of making interesting loot, particularly the uniques which can be build defining. TL2 does a better job of making me motivated to slaughter everything and kill bosses however since you can almost always count on getting something decent for one of your characters on a boss kill. They both successfully scratch their related itches and don't really intrude on one another.

Meanwhile I haven't played Ni No Kuni for like 2-3 days since I got tired of the tutorial shit. I'll probably sit down with it this weekend and see if I can finally escape having my play interrupted by Drippy explaining shit every 5 minutes.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6715 on: February 08, 2013, 07:59:35 AM

So my Football Manager career is apparently over after 50+ hours played as manager of Blackpool. I was sacked for not keeping the team above 10th in the league. /sadf

Trying to decide if I should go back to Skyrim, Crusader Kings or Saints Row 3 in addition to my continued failure to promote out of the bottom tier on LOL.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6716 on: February 08, 2013, 08:30:50 AM

Living in a timewarp as I do, I'm playing Sleeping Dogs while the wife is awake, Dark Souls when she isn't, and Path of Exile at other odd times.

Sleeping Dogs isn't terrible, but I compare everything to San Andreas which isn't fair.  There seems to be a bug in the game where everyone drives on the wrong side of the road.  Also, playing it makes me want Just Cause 3 to be here.

Dark Souls, went down to Ash Lake for Twinkling Titanite.  Those fucking mushroom men.  Even with the Black Knight Sword they are a pain in the ass.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6717 on: February 08, 2013, 09:54:43 AM

PoE when my friends are available, and Fire Emblem: Awakening when they aren't.

I gave up on my PoE Witch because she's too much of a glass cannon to progress through Cruel, and switched to a Templar.

Fire Emblem remains awesome, although I can't imagine playing a game with permadeath that you didn't have random battles to grind on.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #6718 on: February 08, 2013, 10:05:19 AM

Mostly playing GW2. Tried Tera, didn't like it. Downloaded and have tried to get into PoE, but haven't found my stride yet. I think because I don't really care for any of the characters. I also wish they had both genders of all the characters because I don't care for playing females but would like to try spell caster and maybe ranger. I like my immersion and I'm a guy, so I play guys. It's just how I roll. /shrug

Nothing else out there right now that I'm really interested in. Kind of in a lull for some reason.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6719 on: February 08, 2013, 11:49:31 AM

With the skill web you can still try those out with male characters.  It'll take you a few levels, but it's doable.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: