Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 02:01:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2011  (Read 381549 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #630 on: October 04, 2011, 11:28:03 PM

Ahh ok.

I have never been a huge fan of the whole passer rating thing, myself.

But the ESPN metric is all like the BCS, a fucking black box that they put numbers into and gives them something. And it is proprietary.

At least the Passer Rating is from the NFL.

And ya, I am a little less against the whole rating thing now that the Packers QB is the career king on the thing and was basically a tipped ball away from a perfect score this weekend :p

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #631 on: October 05, 2011, 01:34:32 AM

Passer Rating is a really weird stat both because its expectations are still set to 1970s values and the scale is all wonky.  It's a bad stat because of the former things and that it just takes "triple crown"-type stats (Yards, Completion %, TDs, Ints) and just chucks them in a blender.  (In the defense of the 70s, that's all they had back then!)  It's much more of a fantasy stat than one concerned with trying to express how good a QB is at getting his team to score points.

Also, when looking at a single game, it's extra worthless because of how it bounds each stat's contribution to the rating.

QBR is a black box but some of its basic concepts don't appear completely crazy (pumping everything through a leverage index is... problematic at least).  And because it's a black box, there's no way to know how it matches up with the research that's already out there or if ESPN ever does anything shady.

I think I'll just stick with these guys.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: October 05, 2011, 06:02:51 AM

I'm a Footballguys.com kinda guy myself.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #633 on: October 05, 2011, 06:54:24 AM

I think the X-Factor in the NFC right now is the goddamn Giants. This is an AWFUL team at 3-1 - terrible injuries, no names playing in key skill positions, weak in the secondary. They beat the Eagles because their defensive line manhandled the opposition and the Eagles defense are shitty tacklers.

Hooooooldon.

Statistically, right now Eli is sitting at 104 WBR sitting right behind the ungodly Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.  3rd best in the league sir.  Suck it haters.

Let's address the no name part.  Bradshaw, while not elite, is certainly not a no-name back, 1200 yards last year in his first year as a starter while splitting time.  Nicks is a premier wide receiver.  Our #2 and #3?  Meh. Manningham is a empty headed idiot, and Cruz is an up and comer when could still be classified as a flash in the pan.

Our secondary isn't bad honestly though we did lose our best CB in the preseason.  I would rate it middle of the pack right now.

I've seen the Giants play in 2 of their games. They lost to the Redskins, their secondary getting mostly owned by... SUPER BOWL QUARTERBACK Rex Grossman. Their victory against the Eagles was due to 2 things as I said: an Eagles secondary that couldn't tackle my dead grandmother in the open field and a defensive line that SHREDDED a really shitty Eagles O line. They required a shitty call by the refs to beat Arizona. And they beat a St. Louis team that is really fucking awful.

Yes, Eli has some good numbers. He's not making the mistakes he normally makes. But he's had some real GIFTS for TD throws. Brandon Jacobs pass for a TD in Philadelphia, two long passes to Cruz in Philly. This Giants team is a lucky 3-1. They aren't as bad as the Niners, but they aren't what I would call good.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #634 on: October 05, 2011, 07:01:25 AM

The Cruz TD against the Eagles where the two defenders actually tackle each other on the sidelines while Cruz prances by them?

Yeah, that shit won't happen for the Giants when they play the second half of the season. They have games against Buffalo, NE, GB, NO, Washington, Jets, and 2 against Dallas. Going 4-4 in that stretch would be freaking miracle for them.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #635 on: October 05, 2011, 07:10:32 AM

The 2nd half schedule for the Giants is NOT kind. Being they have been a team under Coughlin that mostly withers in the 2nd half of the season, I'll be very surprised is they go 9-7.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #636 on: October 05, 2011, 07:46:41 AM

So how about them skins  Ohhhhh, I see.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #637 on: October 05, 2011, 08:27:16 AM

This should make Haemish happy.  Henne out for the year
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #638 on: October 05, 2011, 08:30:32 AM

Is Haemish the backup QB?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #639 on: October 05, 2011, 08:33:37 AM

Is Haemish the backup QB?

Might as well be.  Wasn't he bitching about how bad Henne is a few pages back?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #640 on: October 05, 2011, 09:41:30 AM

It ought to be good news for Dolphins' fans. They should go out and get Garrard who has somehow not found a job. How the fuck does that happen when guys like Rex Grossman and Tavaris Jackson are STARTERS?

Or they could just see how long it takes for Matt Moore to get injured for the season trying to throw without a running game.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #641 on: October 05, 2011, 10:04:40 AM

It ought to be good news for Dolphins' fans. They should go out and get Garrard who has somehow not found a job. How the fuck does that happen when guys like Rex Grossman and Tavaris Jackson are STARTERS?

Or they could just see how long it takes for Matt Moore to get injured for the season trying to throw without a running game.

Or they could talk to Cincinnati and negotiate a deal for Carson Palmer.

Palmer, no great shake (only 2 great seasons, and one of them was at USC), but better than what they got.

Or maybe they could press Brett Favre to come out of retirement, or maybe even lure Dan Marino. Bob Griesie, OTOH, might be a tad too old…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: October 05, 2011, 10:14:54 AM

Hasselback. When he'snot injured has an o-line, he's actually having a really good season.
fify
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: October 05, 2011, 10:35:23 AM

Or they could talk to Cincinnati and negotiate a deal for Carson Palmer.

Palmer, no great shake (only 2 great seasons, and one of them was at USC), but better than what they got.

Or maybe they could press Brett Favre to come out of retirement, or maybe even lure Dan Marino. Bob Griesie, OTOH, might be a tad too old…

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7062148/miami-dolphins-try-qbs-chad-henne-hurt-source-says

Looks like slim pickings.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #644 on: October 05, 2011, 10:54:22 AM

Holy shit. How bad does your organization have to look to decide that you'd rather just not play football then play in Miami at QB? Garrard and Delhomme told them to get bent?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #645 on: October 05, 2011, 10:59:15 AM

Bring back Vinnie!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #646 on: October 05, 2011, 11:06:14 AM

Holy shit. How bad does your organization have to look to decide that you'd rather just not play football then play in Miami at QB? Garrard and Delhomme told them to get bent?

Garrard knows that any time behind the Miami line is a death warrant.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #647 on: October 05, 2011, 11:08:08 AM

I go back to my stance that they should just run the Wildcat more.  It'll be fine.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #648 on: October 05, 2011, 11:15:05 AM

I go back to my stance that they should just run the Wildcat more.  It'll be fine.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #649 on: October 05, 2011, 11:15:52 AM

Too bad they got rid of all their Wildcat RB's and got Reggie Bush instead.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #650 on: October 05, 2011, 11:19:09 AM

Too bad they got rid of all their Wildcat RB's and got Reggie Bush instead.

Teach him to throw and get him out there. He has to be of SOME use to that offense.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #651 on: October 05, 2011, 11:19:39 AM

I hear he can be an every-down back.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #652 on: October 05, 2011, 11:58:01 AM

They are doing everything they can to get Andrew Luck awesome, for real
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: October 05, 2011, 12:01:37 PM

The Cruz TD against the Eagles where the two defenders actually tackle each other on the sidelines while Cruz prances by them?

Yeah, that shit won't happen for the Giants when they play the second half of the season. They have games against Buffalo, NE, GB, NO, Washington, Jets, and 2 against Dallas. Going 4-4 in that stretch would be freaking miracle for them.

Not sure why you list Dallas in there twice.  That's not exactly a difficult game there sonny.

I've seen the Giants play in 2 of their games. They lost to the Redskins, their secondary getting mostly owned by... SUPER BOWL QUARTERBACK Rex Grossman. Their victory against the Eagles was due to 2 things as I said: an Eagles secondary that couldn't tackle my dead grandmother in the open field and a defensive line that SHREDDED a really shitty Eagles O line. They required a shitty call by the refs to beat Arizona. And they beat a St. Louis team that is really fucking awful.

Yes, Eli has some good numbers. He's not making the mistakes he normally makes. But he's had some real GIFTS for TD throws. Brandon Jacobs pass for a TD in Philadelphia, two long passes to Cruz in Philly. This Giants team is a lucky 3-1. They aren't as bad as the Niners, but they aren't what I would call good.

I just hear excuses here honestly.  The Giants only won because they beat the other team that day!  But I agree, the Washington game was just awful.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #654 on: October 05, 2011, 12:05:43 PM

I hear he can be an every-down back.

So Wildcat every play then.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #655 on: October 05, 2011, 03:47:51 PM

I just hear excuses here honestly.  The Giants only won because they beat the other team that day!  But I agree, the Washington game was just awful.

I think it's pretty valid when trying to determine how good a 3-1 team really is, to point out that two of those victories were against teams in the NFC West.  In fact the combined record of the three teams the Giants have beaten so far is 2-10.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #656 on: October 05, 2011, 04:01:40 PM

Not sure why you list Dallas in there twice.  That's not exactly a difficult game there sonny.

You split the series last year against Jon Kitna and a shitty, injured 6-10 Dallas team.

But nawwww easy pickings.

Don't let things like actual facts get in the way of your insane ramblings. Giants fans never do.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:03:35 PM by Paelos »

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #657 on: October 05, 2011, 05:18:51 PM

Let's not fight among ourselves, that's what THEY want.  Face it, anyone predictions is suspect right now.  I mean who figured the Lions would be 4-0?  We are only 1/4 into the season, every team can still make the playoffs. 

Except for the Fins, those jagoffs are proper fucked.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #658 on: October 06, 2011, 05:26:46 AM

I think it's pretty valid when trying to determine how good a 3-1 team really is, to point out that two of those victories were against teams in the NFC West.  In fact the combined record of the three teams the Giants have beaten so far is 2-10.

It doesn't really matter.  They will get a chance to prove it on the field soon enough.  I'm not willing to rule the Giants out of anything after their Superbowl run.  Yes, I know much of the team is different, but Eli still can pull some shit out of his ass if given the chance.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #659 on: October 06, 2011, 07:37:54 AM

I will say this about the Giants. Every time I absolutely write them off, they go and do shit like beat the Packers in the NFC Championship IN Lambeau, then go on to beat an undefeated Patriots team to win a goddamn Super Bowl. I picked against them in EVERY SINGLE PLAYOFF GAME that year, even saying they'd not make the playoffs, and they fucking did.

Of course, that team had more talent and fewer injuries, so /shrug. I still think they are a bad team with their wins coming over either bad teams or good teams on really bad streaks. But if they get to the playoffs while the Eagles and Cowboys languish under .500 in the bottom half of that division, I'll still be happy. I don't actually hate the Giants or Eli, and will root for them on occasion. They are a hard team to root for, though, because they never do what you'd expect, and... well.. Eli face.

WayAbvPar

Reply #660 on: October 06, 2011, 08:36:44 AM

We will know how good the Giants are by halftime on Sunday. If they aren't beating the shit out of the Seahawks by then, they are a joke.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #661 on: October 06, 2011, 08:38:16 AM

We will know how good the Giants are by halftime on Sunday. If they aren't beating the shit out of the Seahawks by then, they are a joke.

Well, that is for sure.  They will though.  The Seahawks are terrible.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: October 06, 2011, 10:59:01 AM

Not sure why you list Dallas in there twice.  That's not exactly a difficult game there sonny.

You split the series last year against Jon Kitna and a shitty, injured 6-10 Dallas team.

But nawwww easy pickings.

Don't let things like actual facts get in the way of your insane ramblings. Giants fans never do.

Heh.  Just like all Cowboy fans, your team is amazing, and always will be.  Good thing Romo won you that playoff game a few years ago so that we wouldn't reach that "It's been two decades since you won a playoff game" moment.  You guys should consider yourself lucky I guess. 

Maybe one day you can take down that Troy Aikman poster on your wall and put up another superbowl winning Dallas QB. 
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #663 on: October 06, 2011, 11:01:22 AM

That doesn't mean anything.  We demolished the Seahawks, I think last year? or two years ago? and then preceded to shit the bed.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #664 on: October 06, 2011, 11:34:19 AM

I will say this about the Giants. Every time I absolutely write them off, they go and do shit like beat the Packers in the NFC Championship IN Lambeau, then go on to beat an undefeated Patriots team to win a goddamn Super Bowl. I picked against them in EVERY SINGLE PLAYOFF GAME that year, even saying they'd not make the playoffs, and they fucking did.

Best year ever!  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 64 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011  
Jump to: