Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 05:15:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2011  (Read 381507 times)
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: August 24, 2011, 11:34:57 AM

YES, Kerry Collins got signed with the COLTS, he can continue to be my object of irrational hate!

He knew I'd miss him in my own fucked up way.  why so serious?

I expect every person in Indianapolis is now running to the nearest church and praying for Peyton.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #316 on: August 24, 2011, 12:43:43 PM

He's such a fucker, too, if Manning the Greater got hurt, Kerry Collins would have an awesome first game starting for them. To give them Hope. Because then it would be all the sweeter to crush their souls later.

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #317 on: August 24, 2011, 05:54:14 PM

Manning the greater isn't going to start week one by most estimates.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #318 on: August 24, 2011, 07:18:16 PM

Hmm, if he'll only miss one week, what Collins will do to maximize angst is hard to call. He can't be so awesome to cause doubt in the hearts of Colts fans, so perhaps instead he will be so wretched the fans will live in mortal fear of Manning ever getting hurt again ever.

I MISSED YOU, KERRY COLLINS  why so serious?

Fun Fact: One year, when he was still playing for the Giants, he managed to fuck up in such a way that pissed me off so bad, I picked him up on my fantasy football team specifically to sit him on my bench. I lost that game, and noticed he put up some really good fantasy numbers while sitting there (Favre was my starter that year and had a bad game, I believe). So I decided, "fuck it, I'll start him next week, the Giants are playing someone bad anyway." Oh! Poor, fool me. He naturally completely stunk, and I would've won if I had started ANYone but him. Still not realizing he was a fantasy locker room cancer, I put him back on my bench so he could THINK ABOUT WHAT HE HAD DONE.

Long story short (too late) I lost four or five games in a row while he was on my team. I finally cut him, but it was too late. Even though I won my games without him, his horrible mojo cost me a playoff spot.  Yeah, it was totally him, not me!  Ohhhhh, I see.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #319 on: August 25, 2011, 07:34:26 AM

Losing Manning wouldn't be quite such a big deal if the Colts had ANY sort of running game or defense. As it is, he's the only one that can make that team win consistently, even with scrubs at wideout.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #320 on: August 25, 2011, 07:39:24 AM

They will lose to Houston with no Manning. That being said, they did that anyway last year and it didn't matter at all.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #321 on: August 25, 2011, 08:04:20 AM

A lot of it will depend on how much better that division is. I think Houston will be better than last year as Wade Phillips might actually whip that defense into shape. Tennessee is a mystery but likely to be worse - Hasselbeck at QB (sure to miss a few games with injury), new coach, no (or a very pissed off) Chris Johnson, lots of really unsettled things on that team. The Jags probably haven't improved either. Yeah, it probably won't make any difference at all, as the Colts are likely to win the division anyway unless he misses the whole damn season.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: August 25, 2011, 11:01:29 AM

YES, Kerry Collins got signed with the COLTS, he can continue to be my object of irrational hate!

He knew I'd miss him in my own fucked up way.  why so serious?

I'll always have a soft spot for Kerry because he took the Giants to the Superbowl in 2000 after trouncing the Vikings 42--0 in the NFC Championship Game.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #323 on: August 25, 2011, 02:16:43 PM

But he was terrible in the actual Superbowl, plus I will always be mad that he didn't break the record for "most consecutive games with two fumbles or more" while with the Giants. Bitch couldn't even do THAT right.  awesome, for real

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: August 26, 2011, 10:16:11 AM

And who says that a rotating patched together O-Line isn't fun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg0YVa-9HW0
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #325 on: August 26, 2011, 12:28:34 PM

I'm continually unimpressed by Romo's ability to throw to anybody but Witten.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: August 26, 2011, 12:50:25 PM

Unless you have Witten on your fantasy team, which makes it very impressive indeed.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Over and out.
WayAbvPar

Reply #327 on: August 28, 2011, 08:25:34 PM

God I can't wait for Pete Carroll to get fired.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: August 28, 2011, 09:45:26 PM

What is it that you don't like about Carroll?  I happen to think that he's an excellent coach.  He just hasn't got much to work with. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #329 on: August 29, 2011, 07:28:43 AM

What is it that you don't like about Carroll?  I happen to think that he's an excellent coach.  He just hasn't got much to work with. 

Not WAP, but I disagree about Carroll's coaching.  He had a shitton of talent at USC and, except in a few years underperformed-  particularly on defense.  He had some really good coaches at his coordinator positions in his early years at USC which masked some of the deficiencies that I saw at the end of his tenure.  Regardless, he was always head and shoulders above his competition when it came to talent.  He won't have that advantage in the NFL.  In fact, at Seattle it will be quite the opposite.  I expect him to do mediocre at best. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:17 AM

Talent isn't always the coaches fault (cheap owner for example).  Choice of assistants is also often dictated by the owner. 

It would be interesting to know how much of a role Carroll has in recruiting, drafting, and free agent acquisition.  Those things would really speak to his ability to succeed at the professional level.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #331 on: August 29, 2011, 07:37:53 AM

Well, that's really the point.  He had complete control over his troops at USC.  At Seattle he won't, and not even necessarily because the owner is cheap.  The playing field is more level in the NFL (both in coaches and in players).  It is a rare coach that can consistently get his teams playing far above the talent level.  I don't think Carroll is that guy.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #332 on: August 29, 2011, 08:11:10 AM

He isn't. He's never proved in any of the other opportunities he's had as head coach that he can COACH a team to victory. He's the kind of coach who can with with really good talent, but putting all that talent together at the NFL level is really really hard, especially a place like Seattle.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #333 on: August 29, 2011, 08:44:22 AM

With the talent gap that Carroll had at USC I could probably put together a top 10 team.  When you're operating with a talent gap like that the scheme becomes much less important. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #334 on: August 29, 2011, 08:49:47 AM

With the talent gap that Carroll had at USC I could probably put together a top 10 team.  When you're operating with a talent gap like that the scheme becomes much less important. 

Hell of a recruiter though...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #335 on: August 29, 2011, 09:29:31 AM

Oh fuck yeah.  And I don't think USC was nearly as dirty as the pictures that were painted.  In face, they were small potatoes compared to what was going on at Miami. 
WayAbvPar

Reply #336 on: August 29, 2011, 11:39:21 AM

Hell of a recruiter though...

That is precisely what I loathe about him. He is less of a coach and more of a salesman. He is oily and disingenuous. I just wish I could watch him fail miserably somewhere else instead of here  Heartbreak

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #337 on: August 29, 2011, 11:44:06 AM

I don't think you will get what you want.

However, the division is Arizona's to lose imo.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: August 29, 2011, 11:44:56 AM

Carroll is a great Defensive Coordinator.

He is not a great head coach.

Kind of like Buddy Ryan, Wade Phillips, Guenther Cunnigham, and Ray Rhodes. Guys that just about anyone would hire to coach a defense but who were mediocre to downright terrible as head coaches.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #339 on: August 29, 2011, 12:17:13 PM

He is not a great head coach.

Kind of like Buddy Ryan, Wade Phillips, Guenther Cunnigham, and Ray Rhodes. Guys that just about anyone would hire to coach a defense but who were mediocre to downright terrible as head coaches.

The problem with this theory is that his defenses have steadily gone downhill at USC, and the last two years he was coaching there USC could barely catch a cold in the fourth quarter.  And that is with the talent that he had accumulated. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #340 on: August 29, 2011, 02:55:47 PM

I don't think you will get what you want.

However, the division is Arizona's to lose imo.

I don't know about that. I'm not sure the addition of Kolb is the magic salve that team has been lacking. St. Louis is poised to take off, IMO, especially in a division with 2 games against San Fran and Seattle each.

WayAbvPar

Reply #341 on: August 29, 2011, 03:06:39 PM

From what I have seen from St Louis so far in the preaseason (which is not more than a couple of series), they are still a ways away. Another good draft and free agency, coupled with some experience for all their young guys will make them a handful in 2012 and beyond.

That being said, it won't take much to win this division. If anything it is worse than last year. SF is a wreck, Seattle is a mess, Arizona is schizo and St Louis is REALLY young.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #342 on: August 29, 2011, 03:12:08 PM

That's why I think St. Louis will probably be the team to beat. They're young, but they aren't the other three teams in the NFC West.  why so serious?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: August 29, 2011, 03:16:39 PM

The problem with this theory is that his defenses have steadily gone downhill at USC, and the last two years he was coaching there USC could barely catch a cold in the fourth quarter.  And that is with the talent that he had accumulated. 

Being a great Coordinator does not mean that the Defense (or Offense, see Norv Turner as a shining example) will be worth a shit when you are head coach.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
WayAbvPar

Reply #344 on: August 29, 2011, 03:20:28 PM

Our D-line is starting to look decent. LBs and secondary are really young and/or terrible. Got decidedly less so when they shipped Kelly Jennings to the Bungles this morning. That POS deserves to rot there.

gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: August 29, 2011, 06:16:36 PM

From what I have seen from St Louis so far in the preaseason (which is not more than a couple of series), they are still a ways away. Another good draft and free agency, coupled with some experience for all their young guys will make them a handful in 2012 and beyond.

That being said, it won't take much to win this division. If anything it is worse than last year. SF is a wreck, Seattle is a mess, Arizona is schizo and St Louis is REALLY young.

I'm already looking forward to next season.  swamp poop
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #346 on: August 29, 2011, 08:44:46 PM

Giants fans are glad that game didn't count. Yeesh.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: August 31, 2011, 03:58:17 AM

Our D-line is starting to look decent. LBs and secondary are really young and/or terrible. Got decidedly less so when they shipped Kelly Jennings to the Bungles this morning. That POS deserves to rot there.

Didn't they also just get rid of Lofa Tatupu?  I mean, he hasn't lived up to his promise IMO, but still.  Pete makes a lot of daring moves, and some of them even look good on paper.  Problem is, nobody gets to stay around long enough to begin forming a cohesive unit, and this problem is only getting worse.  Plus the fact that there is now absolutely nothing looking like a top tier QB, which is a near must in this league.  Why they attempted to land nobody better than Tavaris Jackson is a total mystery to me.  Not that I believe in Kevin Kolb, but even that would have been better.  Or McNabb.  Or Kyle Orton.  Or whatever the fuck Carson Palmer is up to these days.  Shit, even Tim Tebow might give me more reason for optimism.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #348 on: August 31, 2011, 06:03:27 AM

Being a great Coordinator does not mean that the Defense (or Offense, see Norv Turner as a shining example) will be worth a shit when you are head coach.

That's not the norm though.  Most of the time they do fine with their specialty. 
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: September 05, 2011, 12:06:38 PM

Being a good recruiter is almost completely irrelevant to the NFL game.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 64 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011  
Jump to: