Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 02:01:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Spider-Man 2 The Game 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spider-Man 2 The Game  (Read 4392 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

on: July 03, 2004, 03:01:56 PM

I went out and bought Spidey2 for X-Box, and I was very supprised. This game is WAY better than the last spidey game.

Imagine Grand Theft Auto full roaming, then add Spidey, its damn cool. I have only got achance to play for about 20 minutes, but what I have seen is good.

The voice acting is good. They got all the main characters to voice, also, like the last game the voice of Bruce Campbell is presnt to teach you new tricks, and mock you when you do stupid things.

The gameplay is intuitive and fun and fast. You have a spider scence that is like bullet time, also the webswinging is great. Unlike all previous games where the webs just shoot into the sky, you really have to have buildings (or trees or lamposts ect.) to attach to.

There is also a slight RP element, where when you stop crimes and stuff you get hero points. You can then spend these points to upgrade stuff, like jump height and swing speed. I think you can also by attack combos, but havent got that far yet.

I will be playing this when I can break myself away from WoW PVP server.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 03:41:18 PM

It's a fairly good sign about a video game when the advertisers actually feel confident enough to shoot the entire commercial from game footage.    Checking out some of the gamespot footage, looks like they brought back the same guy to do the tutorial voice.

This one's definately ending up on my rental list.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 04:46:02 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
looks like they brought back the same guy to do the tutorial voice.

Do not speak so lightly of St. Bruce, wielder of the boomstick.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 08:34:09 PM

Don't get confused and buy Spiderman 2 for the PC.  It is NOT the same game.  It's a childrens game with, from everything I've heard, very poor gameplay.

Spiderman 2 for X-Box, PS-2 or Gamecube are all supposed to be the same though.

Also, Toby and Bruce and Kirsten are supposed to have done the voices for the console versions.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 09:52:58 PM

Quote from: Big Gulp
Do not speak so lightly of St. Bruce, wielder of the boomstick.

Having seen the Spiderman 2 movie today, I noticed they also had him play the stubborn doorman in the theatre.

Edit: Fair warning, according to Gamespot the PC version of Spider Man 2 was developed completely independantly from the Console versions.   The PC version is apparently very simplified and didn't impress the reviewer at all.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 07:34:06 AM

All reviews I have read of spiderman 2 complain that the luster wears off due to repetitive tasks and overly short story arc that uses the repetitive tasks as filler to artificially lengthen the game.

It was enough to shift spiderman 2 to a rental for me.  That means it will be months before I rent it.  As usual our blockbuster has hardly any spiderman 2s that are permanently rented out and a whole shelf of chronicles of riddick that are 75% in.  At least riddick wasn't a shitty game.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 12:14:06 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
All reviews I have read of spiderman 2 complain that the luster wears off due to repetitive tasks and overly short story arc that uses the repetitive tasks as filler to artificially lengthen the game.

It was enough to shift spiderman 2 to a rental for me.  That means it will be months before I rent it.  As usual our blockbuster has hardly any spiderman 2s that are permanently rented out and a whole shelf of chronicles of riddick that are 75% in.  At least riddick wasn't a shitty game.

Yeah, you're probably better off renting it, but it's one of those rentals you kinda wish you could keep around. The tasks are repetitive, the story is short, but the gameplay is fantastic. It offers a little more replayability than it seems just because it's fun to fuck around with.

If you're one of those people that still got a kick out of GTA3 after you completed the storyline, goes sightseeing in COH, and has fun jumping off skyscrapers just for the hell of it, then you'll probably like it. And since you're a big Spidey fan, you'll definitely love it.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 01:57:04 PM

Mor's post caused me to go out and buy it.  Having a blast and the bloody little preview of X-Men Legends has heart a twitter.  If that little bit of fluff turns out to be in game goodness then I am all there and a bag of chips.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 07:02:56 AM

Yeah, you're probably better off renting it, but it's one of those rentals you kinda wish you could keep around. The tasks are repetitive, the story is short, but the gameplay is fantastic. It offers a little more replayability than it seems just because it's fun to fuck around with.

Looks like rent now, buy cheap later.  I might be able to time it as blockbuster is selling off theirs to make room on their tiny xbox shelves.  I am keeping an eagle eye out for riddick when it goes on sale.  I need to make friends with someone who works there... they usually sell games really cheap when done with them.  Like jet set radio future for $5 after the damn thing was out of print.  Gun Valkarye for $10.  Most are $20 or so, like my project gotham racing I got from there.  Riddick is probably worth $20.  Maybe just stick with rental there though.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 11:28:27 AM

Man, the more I play this game, the more I really like it.

you can tell it was rushed just a bit, in the lack of variaty in the pickup missions, but in general the scripted missions and story line are great. The enemies are challanging, but not controller throwing hard.

The combos you can buy in the store really make a difference, but so far, none of the moves are overpowered, unlike some games, so I dont find myself doing the same combat moves over and over again. I keep trying new moves to see what works best in certen situations.

The spider scence is killer. You can dodge at any time, even mid punch or combo. So if my little spidy scense goes off, its dogde baby dodge. You dont have a ton of life, and a few good solid hits will finish you, so you really have to make use of spideys quickness and dodging.

The best part is the Webswiinging. I cant get enough of it. Its not hard, but there is TONS of room to improve your personal skill. I highly recomend this game. I also hope they make another one, using the same engine, and just concentrating on missions and content.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 01:57:19 PM

Picked it up today and enjoying it so far. Bruce said something about earning hero points by roaming around the city in style, any ideas? I've tried slinging around with a few wallruns and web zips thrown into the mix but so far no style bonus.

The pickup missions got dull about about 10 on them I try to get points for powerups by collecting secrets now, much more fun.

Oh and I really wish they'd fucking stop making theese games with the ps2 in mind, the game really shows it was toned down graphicly. When will they learn the PS2 is only good for playing Rez.

Wiiiiii!
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 02:21:02 PM

When more people buy something other than a piece of shit ps2.  Right now most people just have that one archaic system.  By orders of magnitude actually.  It is depressing.

Maybe Bruce meant the races though?  Aren't there races and obstacle courses involving going through rings and such that can give you hero points?  Just going from some reviews I read.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 03:16:56 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
Maybe Bruce meant the races though?  Aren't there races and obstacle courses involving going through rings and such that can give you hero points?  Just going from some reviews I read.

Yeah, there's timed races/obstacle courses (The obstacles being the city itself). Sometimes it's just a matter of speed, and sometimes it's speed + having to enter the checkpoints with a specific move.

Then there's pizza deliveries and photo missions. The first few jobs are a breeze, but then it gets extremely difficult from there (for me at least). Now I see why Pete got fired. Mr. Aziz is a fucking taskmaster.

In other challenges, you have to catch a getaway car or helicopter, or catch a kid's lost balloon (which start getting a little hard later on down the line).

In some missions, you have to rush to a scene in an alotted amount of time, or keep up with Black Cat.

Quote from: Rodent
Bruce said something about earning hero points by roaming around the city in style, any ideas? I've tried slinging around with a few wallruns and web zips thrown into the mix but so far no style bonus.

I've only scored style points during challenges or missions, and not when I'm roaming around. Also...I doubt this has anything to do with it, but I didn't start scoring until I learned to wall sprint fairly well.

Quote from: Morphiend
The enemies are challanging, but not controller throwing hard.

What I like is that every boss/challenge is different from the next one. Ninja Gaiden is a lot more difficult, but you can basically use the same tactics throughout the entirety of the game. It takes me just as long to complete a mission in Spider-Man 2 because it requires more thinking. Every challenge is a little mini-game that you're thrown into, and the rules aren't obvious at first (as opposed to just having to fight more and more baddies/or bosses with more hitpoints).

As for controller throwing hard, I'm almost at that point, so I took a break (the train mission with Doc Ock). Any hints? I'm not sure what to do.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 05:06:33 PM

Quote from: stray
As for controller throwing hard, I'm almost at that point, so I took a break (the train mission with Doc Ock). Any hints? I'm not sure what to do.

*Possible Mild Spoilers*

Havent got that far yet. Im trying to take it slowly, as I dont want it to end yet. I just finished the part where you take on all the military guys with the big exo-skeletons, with Black Cat helping.

One thing I did notice, as far as repetitive minni missions. The farther along in the story you get, the more veriaty in minimissions there are.

After you finish the first Mysterio story quest, the flying alien robots start appearing around the city in the missions. And also after doc Ock shows up, you start getting minimissions with his goons.

I finally have a good chunk of time for gaming over the next two days....

Spidey 2 or WoW, Spidey 2 or WoW. BOTH! yay.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 10:10:30 PM

The part where Doc Ock becomes, well, Doc Ock pisses me off. The rag doll causes me to get thrown into the force field 3-4 times and I lose right there. Getting really pissed off with this part.

Edit: Am I hearing things or did activision add in some "All your base" humor into Mysterios speech in the burning theatre?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 19, 2004, 05:17:30 AM

Quote from: NiX
The part where Doc Ock becomes, well, Doc Ock pisses me off. The rag doll causes me to get thrown into the force field 3-4 times and I lose right there. Getting really pissed off with this part.

Edit: Am I hearing things or did activision add in some "All your base" humor into Mysterios speech in the burning theatre?

Nope, you're not hearing things.

Either that or I'm sharing your delusion.  It was pretty funny.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 05:57:00 AM

Just to help me compare, how does the 'combat' in relation to skills/special moves stack up against Gaiden?

unbannable
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #17 on: July 19, 2004, 07:39:39 AM

Quote from: Arcadian Del Sol
Just to help me compare, how does the 'combat' in relation to skills/special moves stack up against Gaiden?

Well, you can go down pretty quick as in Ninja Gaiden, but it's not as tense since you won't be facing a constant stream of opponents. There's hardly any punishment for dieing really, no "save points", and no need to worry about how many health vials you have all the time.

There are a lot more moves available, but it doesn't feel as fluid as Ninja Gaiden, since most attacks are mainly "button-based" (as opposed to NG which makes more use of the analog stick). Besides the large variety of normal attacks you can do, there's dodging, which lets you pull off another set of moves by counterattacking, and a "bullet time" spidey sense thing, with another special set of attacks and counterattacks. Also, there's grappling moves, web/ranged attacks, and different attacks you can do while jumping or webslinging in the air.

It's all pretty fun, but the only thing is, a good player can get by without using most of this stuff...While in NG, a good player is the one who makes use of everything. Since the game is a little short, I recommend playing it on Hard. It'll be as tough NG's normal mode, and you'll make more use  of the combat system that way.

One thing worth mentioning: Spidey has a variety of things to do besides combat, and better bosses/endstages, which are often based in patterns/puzzles, instead of being onslaughted with the "more enemies" with "more hitpoints" approach of Ninja Gaiden. I got bored and quit NG because of that, great combat system or not.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Spider-Man 2 The Game  
Jump to: