Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:19:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 804428 times)
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: October 08, 2010, 01:21:46 PM

I'm sure the time limit is just short enough to prevent you from seeing how much is broken/missing.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: October 08, 2010, 01:56:08 PM

I forgot about this and signed up yesterday, needless to say... yeah.

Thankfully there is enough people on this thread that'll hopefully get in that can give some NON-NDA-BREAKING information.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #562 on: October 10, 2010, 08:38:16 AM

I've got community beta clearance, apparently.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #563 on: October 12, 2010, 05:52:53 PM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Ummm, so what does that mean exactly?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #564 on: October 12, 2010, 06:35:38 PM

That on the totem pole of maybe possibly getting into beta at some time, I'm slightly above the peons but below the VIPs. I think.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: October 13, 2010, 08:17:02 AM

http://www.tentonhammer.com/rift/features/nycc10

Ricardo Sanchez, Trion VP of Digital, came out swinging during the Trion panel at New York Comic Con 2010. “What we’re creating is the most polished and complete MMO released since 2004… Basically, it’s pick whatever you want from an MMO and we’re going to give it to you.”

This is the guy who did the comic book series for the game.  I believe he was hired internally by Trion to do other stuff with Rift.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: October 13, 2010, 08:25:28 AM

Can we change the name of this thread to "Rift: Planes of Telara"?  Because, you know, "Heros of Telara" is not what its name is.

My only real complaint about this game so far is that they went through all this trouble to make people able to customize their class but still restrict them to follow arbitrary archetype rules.  I would much rather have seen it be entirely open but with reasons why you would want to specialize into one specific archetype.  Take three classes of fighter trees because you'll be a damn good fighter if you do.  But, hey, if you want to do 1 tree of rogue, 1 tree of cleric and 1 tree of mage, knock yourself out.

edit: speeeling.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:56:32 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: October 13, 2010, 08:38:42 AM

That's how it was when it was Heroes of Telara.  When they did the rename they changed it to four archtypes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #568 on: October 13, 2010, 08:46:52 AM

OK. I think I deserve unlimited beta access for changing the thread title.

-Rasix
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: October 13, 2010, 09:56:55 AM

OK. I think I deserve unlimited beta access for changing the thread title.

If it was in my power I would.  Thanks!

edit: I signed up for the beta finally.  Some asshat took my name though so I'm Murgos_1 on the forums there.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:58:58 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: October 13, 2010, 12:40:16 PM

Be wary of the official forums.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: October 13, 2010, 01:24:05 PM

Be wary of the official forums.

Anyone who has played any MMO knows this as a general rule of thumb.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: October 13, 2010, 02:00:19 PM

There's a special combination of Vanguard Fanboyism, WOW hatred, and WOW Fanboyism.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: October 13, 2010, 02:14:05 PM

Don't forget eq2 fanboyism ni that mix. Not as much EQ1 though.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #574 on: October 13, 2010, 05:59:52 PM

There's a special combination of Vanguard Fanboyism, WOW hatred, and WOW Fanboyism.

I love the undertone of "This time, it will be different! He'll stop hitting me for sure, this time!".

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: October 13, 2010, 08:01:34 PM

I love the undertone of "This time, it will be different! He'll stop hitting me for sure, this time!".

It was like that from the day the forums open courtesy of most of the population of Silky Venom.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #576 on: October 13, 2010, 09:01:20 PM

I'm shilling, sorry.  I'm having a contest over at my website and 1st place prize is a VIP Beta Key, I figured you guys would like to know.

http://www.riftjunkies.com/2010/10/13/win-a-vip-beta-key-and-more/

Only giving away one right now.  There will be additional opportunities in the coming weeks.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: October 13, 2010, 09:11:29 PM

Lost at needing to use Twitter. cry

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: October 13, 2010, 09:14:07 PM

I was told that I had to include Twitter by my the guy that runs it with me.  Sorry. :(
jayfyve
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: October 14, 2010, 04:19:10 AM

I was told that I had to include Twitter by my the guy that runs it with me.  Sorry. :(

I use twitter just for a small newsfeed, and I found out about your contest from the official Rift twitter, and followed. So in my case at least, it worked.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: October 14, 2010, 06:45:19 AM

Lost at needing to use Twitter. cry

Agree. Fuck twitter and the horse it rode in on.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: October 14, 2010, 05:42:40 PM

Argh!

This contest has made me realize that I'm such a whore for this game if I'm signing up for twitter. Though, I am curious, how do people know someone actually did the facebook and twitter steps when people have different names on those sites? I'm guessing they don't know since there isn't a link back to the action being required in the contest
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: October 15, 2010, 04:48:25 AM

I do use Twitter and Facebook but I don't work in the gaming industry and don't particularly want my professional contacts (who may be connected to me on Facebook and Twitter) to know I play MMOs in my spare time. I fear it might not help my career.

So I'm not likely to "like" riftjunkies.com on Facebook or retweet you, sorry.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 04:51:05 AM by palmer_eldritch »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: October 15, 2010, 06:01:10 AM

Thats ok.  You don't have to enter.

I was told that I had to include Twitter by my the guy that runs it with me.  Sorry. :(
Argh!

This contest has made me realize that I'm such a whore for this game if I'm signing up for twitter. Though, I am curious, how do people know someone actually did the facebook and twitter steps when people have different names on those sites? I'm guessing they don't know since there isn't a link back to the action being required in the contest

You can easily verify that someone did both by having them tweet a message to you and send you a message on Facebook.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:02:56 AM by Draegan »
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #584 on: October 15, 2010, 06:48:01 AM

Ahh yeah, I guess communicating with any winner would be an easy verification. duuur =/
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: October 15, 2010, 04:32:23 PM

Haven't been paying attention, is the general consensus on this still cautious positive, or has it barreled into pessimistic hope-crusher?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: October 15, 2010, 07:09:44 PM

The general consensus here (the only place I really am paying attention to) is the same as it was before. Wait and see but cautiously optimistic.

This definitely doesn't have much of the crazy megalomania dev house stuff going on (at least in public).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: October 17, 2010, 07:51:45 AM

Word from the conventions (PAX/GamesCom) is that it's an incredibly polished for a game not in beta yet.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: October 20, 2010, 06:09:44 AM

New class revealed.

Overview

Justicars are healing clerics who fight shoulder-to-shoulder with their allies in close combat. Conviction builds with each swing of their weapon, bolstering nearby comrades and powering the Justicar’s potent healing magic.
 advertisement

Strengths

A Justicar’s healing comes from damage dealt in close combat. Thus he can survive and thrive in the thick of the fighting while ensuring his allies do the same.

Weaknesses

A Justicar’s divine magic depends upon his melee prowess, so foes are wise to try and keep the Justicar from the front lines.

Background

Nidris the giant wolf crept unseen through the Faering Wood, following the scent of the invaders in the domain of Greenscale the Primordial. He tracked this war party of humans and Dwarves to an overgrown temple. Among stones pulled apart by vines, they bowed their heads in prayer, led by a Dwarven cleric who wore chainmail under his robes of office. He knelt at the remains of the altar, leaning on what looked to be a staff.

“Bidding farewell to your gods? They’ll soon be devoured by our lord Greenscale.” The impish voice belonged to Corrigan, a changeling who rode upon Nidris and fancied himself lord of this forest.

“Shed your worldly concerns,” said Corrigan, “and frolic with us in this paradise.”

A coven of winged faeries that doted on Corrigan buzzed out towards the group and began tugging at beards, pulling at tunics, and rifling through pockets for sport.

“I will frolic when I am done with my prayers,” said Thorvin Sternhammer, Justicar of Thedeor.

“A lackey of the gods!” taunted the changeling. “Do absolve us of our sins before Nidris devours you and I use your holy staff to pick the sinew from his teeth.” The faeries tittered mischievously. Nidris growled, shaking the forest.

“You wee winged demons misunderstand my faith. I am not here to absolve you. The god of battle showed me how that fat toad you call master could be beaten.” The faeries giggled and continued to painfully braid his beard. “But the strength of my faith lies not in sermons, and this is no preacher’s staff.”

The Dwarf brandished his maul of cold iron. “Absolve you? I’m here to smash you!”

The maul landed with a mighty thud, flattening a flittering faerie. Nidris howled in challenge, and Thorvin glared into its eyes. He swung his bludgeon at the tiny sprites, knocking some to splatter against the great wolf’s pelt.

Thorvin’s soldiers charged, their courage bolstered by his conviction. Teeth and metal clashed, and though Nidris bit and clawed the invaders, the soldiers’ wounds healed with every blow their cleric struck. The tide of battle turned, and soon the mighty beast found himself bloodied and nearing death.

“Flee! Flee!” screamed the terrified changeling, his mocking tone drained away. “This is no mere mortal, but an avatar of war!” Nidris yelped like a pup and turned tail, but Thorvin crippled the beast’s leg with a swing of his maul.

His heart pierced by the spears of the soldiers, Nidris collapsed with a final anguished cry, Corrigan tumbling from his back. Scrambling uselessly, the Changeling tore himself on brambles as the stout cleric strode toward him.

“I repent! I repent!” the changeling sniveled.

“I know you do, lad,” said Thorvin as he hefted the bloodstained maul. “And I’ve got your absolution right here.”

They say Corrigan’s death rattle haunts the Faering Wood to this day. He had met Thorvin Sternhammer, whose crusade hounded mighty Greenscale across all of what is now known as Mathosia.

Quotation:
“Many preach their vision of the gods. They speak of love, and health, and happiness. I am here to tell you the truth of the world. Anything good must be fought for. You must stand toe-to-toe with your demons and crush them. Only then will the gods bless you.”

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #589 on: October 20, 2010, 06:42:59 AM

Those graphics look pretty amazing.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: October 20, 2010, 06:47:29 AM

Yes they are.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: October 20, 2010, 07:29:56 AM

Justicar = DoK / Warrior Priest then? 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #592 on: October 20, 2010, 08:07:29 AM

The thing I'm most impressed with?  The female priest was wearing armor, not a mail bikini.  And.... her breasts were not fantasy EEs.  I hope the ability to create normal looking people persists. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: October 20, 2010, 08:22:36 AM

Her chest was still uncovered, though it is an improvement over most fantasy games.  Baby steps, I suppose.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #594 on: October 20, 2010, 09:51:00 AM

You won't be happy until every pixelated female is as oppressed as you!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: