Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:16:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1121725 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4305 on: May 16, 2016, 11:31:28 PM

I liked that episode much more than the first 3.

Fewer storylines helped enormously.

Pink letter was good, Brienne was great, Dany was good, Mereen wasn't quite as bad as usual, perfect amount of Dorne, and I could watch an entire hour of Jonathan Pryce being inscrutable.  Yara and Theon remain great on screen together - they've probably had less than 15 minutes in the same place but it is all memorable.  Also notable that Sansa morphed into someone likable - though she really needs to demonstrate some sort of capability to earn winterfell, just holding the knife that kills Ramsey wouldn't be enough.

Have no idea why Jorah and Daario were wasting screentime, or why Mereen is still eerily absent of extras.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4306 on: May 17, 2016, 05:29:36 AM

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4307 on: May 17, 2016, 07:30:22 AM

Serious question, why are people putting plain old speculation in spoiler tags?

Post above is all very possible. Though I've always assumed the house of black and white is playing it straight, what do you mean 'what they are all about'?

Mereen I'd guess they are aiming for Tyrion to teach Missandei and Grey Worm to run the place before he fucks off with the Dragons. Varys will use his stash of narrativium to simply appear in Kings Landing when needed.

Also, while we're doing this, I'm kind of expecting Sam to end up with Dany. He's in the south, she'll (presumably) be in the south, and I expect he has some purpose other than to read books for the audience. If I had to guess what the showrunners want, it would be a single southern Dany group, a single northern Jon group, then KL as the centre of antagonistic humans and the zombies being zombies.

At this point I'd guess the ironborn will meet Dany in the south.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4308 on: May 17, 2016, 08:08:54 AM

Why are people putting anything at all in spoiler tags?

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4309 on: May 17, 2016, 08:20:06 AM

I figure you never know what people might think of as "don't show me that, put it in spoiler tags".

With the Faceless Men, I guess what has never been clear to me (books or show) is who they kill or why. They don't seem to just be assassins for hire, but they also seem to have strict internal rules about the circumstances under which it is legitimate to kill someone. Though also flexibility--the "gifts" in return for Arya's "gift" of life.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4310 on: May 17, 2016, 08:35:39 AM

My thinking exactly. I see pretty much all these threads as "enter at your own risk."

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #4311 on: May 17, 2016, 09:57:04 AM

I did yesterday just to respect a 24 hour window but I guess anyone who hasn't seen the latest episode shouldn't really be browsing the thread the day after it airs anyway.

I agree mostly with Khaldun on how this will play out but...

book spoiler:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:00:46 AM by Speedy Cerviche »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4312 on: May 17, 2016, 10:01:55 AM

My thinking exactly. I see pretty much all these threads as "enter at your own risk."

At this point the risk being 'someone might have stolen GRRM' s Winds of Winter manuscript'.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4313 on: May 17, 2016, 10:05:04 AM

I did yesterday just to respect a 24 hour window but I guess anyone who hasn't seen the latest episode shouldn't really be browsing the thread the day after it airs anyway.

I agree mostly with Khaldun on how this will play out but...

book spoiler:

Yara I hope (probably with Theon in tow for his own safety). Theon couldn't credibly be up to it, plus I'm quite sure I've seen enough of Theon without Yara to play off.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4314 on: May 17, 2016, 11:08:37 AM

It was originally to keep book spoilers out of the discussion. No need for that anymore.

With the Faceless Men, I guess what has never been clear to me (books or show) is who they kill or why. They don't seem to just be assassins for hire, but they also seem to have strict internal rules about the circumstances under which it is legitimate to kill someone. Though also flexibility--the "gifts" in return for Arya's "gift" of life.

They're assassins for hire on one level and just very expensive. On the level we've seen them, they're worshipers of the many-faced god and keep temple to him. I imagine part of the reason for their huge cost is the need to violate the whole, "Only the many-faced god gets to decide who dies" tenet.

The real question for me has, and is, how they fit into the whole puzzle of the story. Arya's journey and story are wholly separate from the rest. Unless she's going to be used to kill Jon or Dany and gives up the faith or some other trope, she could have died with the Hound and had as much impact on things. I imagine whatever it is will be a huge let-down come the last book/ season.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #4315 on: May 17, 2016, 11:25:58 AM

Someone hires Arya to kill Dany.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #4316 on: May 17, 2016, 11:26:31 AM

Probably something stupid like GRRM's wife liked the character and didn't want him to kill her off.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4317 on: May 17, 2016, 11:31:36 AM

Probably something stupid like GRRM's wife liked the character and didn't want him to kill her off.

This is exactly it...  remember from some discussion/post on westeros forum ages ago (I think pre-show).
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #4318 on: May 17, 2016, 11:39:14 AM

Heh that was a guess, but based on reading the same thing about why dragons were in the story.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4319 on: May 17, 2016, 11:47:09 AM

Being given Jon's name is unlikely, not least as they cannot give the gift to a name they know, this is why the list is important, and why the sailors on her boat to Braavos were keen to introduce themselves.

Characters of note she does not know by name and who are of sufficient significance for the kill to matter are thin on the ground. Dany, the Night King, High Sparrow is all I can think of.

A less important target might be used to just get her to Jon and Sansa, or inside a critical city like KL where she can go full Assassin's creed.

But I don't buy either of these. Jon tells Arya right at the start...

"You'll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers."

Plus Chekov's direwolf is still roaming the riverlands.

My guess is she'll come across someone she wants to kill, abandon the faceless men, then stow away on Dany's fleet, head back to Westeros, join up with Nymeria, and take over some kind of Brotherhood without Banners analogue. Also she will flip out and kill people all the time. The faceless men will come after her as she is now an oathbreaker and so doomed.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4320 on: May 17, 2016, 12:50:00 PM

The real question for me has, and is, how they fit into the whole puzzle of the story. Arya's journey and story are wholly separate from the rest. Unless she's going to be used to kill Jon or Dany and gives up the faith or some other trope, she could have died with the Hound and had as much impact on things. I imagine whatever it is will be a huge let-down come the last book/ season.
Keep in mind that up through the first three books, he had intended for there to be a 5 year gap between book 3 and 4.  So basically two trilogies.  First trilogy covers the fall of the Starks and War of the Roses type shit.  Main characters we thought would win because the standard tropes all said they would, are dead (Ned/Rob).  The remaining children scatter.  At that point, at the end of book three, all of them were setup to become super awesome at something.  Arya runs away to be trained into super crazy assassin.  Sansa to learn all about court intrigue and trickery from Littlefinger.  Bran to become a wizard.  Rickon.... hide out with the reeds and learn to fight and just hang out till he's needed to come in to claim Winterfell as the only viable candidate left.  Or something.  He's to young to have much of an impact on anything.

Also Dany deciding to stay in Mareen to learn how to be a queen.

So then once you jump 5 years and have them all in their roles, you go from there in the second series with everything falling apart in Westeros, and the now super powered Stark children plus Dany jumping in.  Except at the last possible second, he decided to scrap all that, and just describe everything that happened.  Where the first three books all came out within a year or two of each other, after fifteen years, he only has two more out.  He's flailing around trying to describe shit he originally setup to happen off screen, and it shows.  So I'm sure Arya would have played a big role in the hypothetical 5 year later trilogy.  Unfortunately, all the time now is taken up by the training that was suppose to happen off screen, and she'll probably have just enough time to show up and stab somebody important before the series ends.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:59:51 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #4321 on: May 22, 2016, 09:10:27 AM

Well at least we know why his name is

Good episode, the pace is picking up in a good and at last Dany finally

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4322 on: May 22, 2016, 09:19:48 AM

How the hell have you seen this already.  It's sunday

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #4323 on: May 22, 2016, 09:47:14 AM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #4324 on: May 22, 2016, 10:19:32 AM

Given the overall history of TV shows, what is almost guaranteed to really happen is that the show will end with Dany still sitting on the other side of the ocean and Arya still doing something by herself unrelated to the rest of the story.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #4325 on: May 22, 2016, 12:54:18 PM

ACK!

Episode explains a lot.  Like, how the others came to be.  Its rather quick and sort of meh, but hey.

And a death nobody is going to be happy with.   cry cry cry cry

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 01:07:33 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #4326 on: May 22, 2016, 01:05:45 PM

I cant wait for all the Tormund <3 Brienne fanfics that are going to start falling out of the sky soon. Although it does remind me of my wife and I so...

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4327 on: May 22, 2016, 01:40:08 PM

Spill it, in a spoiler though.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #4328 on: May 22, 2016, 01:54:26 PM

Spill it, in a spoiler though.

-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4329 on: May 22, 2016, 02:35:31 PM

Shitballs.

I am the .00000001428%
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4330 on: May 22, 2016, 07:10:27 PM

Well shit.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4331 on: May 22, 2016, 07:23:01 PM

White Walkers racked up a shitton of points for me this episode. why so serious? Totally softens the blow of the deaths.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #4332 on: May 22, 2016, 07:30:59 PM

Fuck your points!  I mean: Hodor hodor hodor!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4333 on: May 22, 2016, 07:40:42 PM

The Sansa / Littlefinger scene shouldn't have been as satisfying as it was.

I'm having problems accepting Bran and Meera would get away from the walkers like that. I see they'll be continuing it next week but it felt like we were lacking key information, like why the door held at all.

Kings moot was resolved nicely but felt too long. I also  said " what trees" when Euryon said to go fell them all. I also wondered why they didn't do this previously if building and crewing 1000 ships is so easily done.

The rest was pretty much continued wheel spinning. 

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4334 on: May 22, 2016, 08:03:52 PM

I refuse to believe that there's a single fucking tree left on the Iron Islands. I mean LOOK at them.

I don't know that the Children/First Men/White Walkers thing
Sansa's speech to Littlefinger was practically written by all the people complaining last season--it felt almost like an apology to fans who thought the whole thing was the showrunners not feeling comfortable moving Sansa's plot too far beyond Martin's.
Same for Tyrion. I'm really irritated with how he's being written this season. I'd like to feel like I'm seeing him take a step forward into being even more politically cunning and instead he feels just goofy--he might as well be carrying a sign that says, "I'm just stalling the plot for a few more episodes."
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4335 on: May 22, 2016, 11:05:17 PM

What I see on this page:

Blah blah blah Time Travel blah blah blah.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4336 on: May 22, 2016, 11:32:15 PM

Jack Bender directed one of the best time-crossing episodes in TV history ("The Constant") and did well with this one too.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #4337 on: May 23, 2016, 12:36:21 AM

I don't buy the death as heroic

First time I've ever seen Varys at a loss and scared - big props to that scene. I can't think that Littlefinger isn't still playing games - that was all too easy to get Sansa to Riverrun.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4338 on: May 23, 2016, 03:24:38 AM

I'm sure he's still playing games. I just desperately want Sansa to be playing him back. Would have been nice if she'd misdirected *him* somehow too.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #4339 on: May 23, 2016, 05:35:26 AM

I have a problem with one of the deaths.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: