Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:15:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1121725 times)
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1435 on: May 03, 2012, 11:43:05 AM

I don't think that the drownings really came up until later...

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1436 on: May 03, 2012, 01:11:49 PM

Yeah, the detail on that religion is a Feast of Crows subject.

I have never played WoW.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1437 on: May 03, 2012, 03:16:46 PM

My main gripe the last few epis. has been the lack of focus on the religion of the IronLands.  I thought that was a very cool part of the novel and it was barely glossed over in the show; unless they plan on drowning someone later.

I've just started book 4 and I don't think that religion was really detailed until now.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1438 on: May 03, 2012, 03:40:06 PM

I've only read the first two books and no, none of the religions were explained that much at all.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1439 on: May 03, 2012, 04:20:48 PM

It starts up next season.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1440 on: May 03, 2012, 08:11:14 PM

So the drownings are really just a baptism like what was done with Theon a few episodes ago? Or are they actual drownings like some sort of sacrifice? I wouldn't see that for the Drowned God who's supposed to be the good guy in his pantheon, but you never know.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1441 on: May 03, 2012, 08:16:16 PM

Both. People from the Iron Islands are baptized like Theon was, but it's also how they execute their enemies (literal drowning) to offer them up as a sacrifice to The Drowned God. Finally, their clergy are literally drowned then CPR'd back to life.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1442 on: May 04, 2012, 04:56:18 AM

So the drownings are really just a baptism like what was done with Theon a few episodes ago? Or are they actual drownings like some sort of sacrifice? I wouldn't see that for the Drowned God who's supposed to be the good guy in his pantheon, but you never know.

I didn't think there were any other gods in their pantheon.  I don't remember any being referenced at least.   The DG is like any other sea god in fantasy;  the god is a mercurial, bi-polar sonofabitch because of the nature of the sea.  Helpful one moment providing sustenance and transport then drowning villages and breaking boats in half the next.

Ed: Also, don't confuse the religion with the culture.  "The Old Ways" are somewhat separate from following the Drowned God.  Theon's experiences should have explained a bit about that by now if you're where I think you are in the storyline.  At least in the book he went on about saltwives, & the feudal setup a bit.  You learn more and more about that as time goes on and he spends more time with his former people but the religion stuff comes in book 4.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:10:59 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1443 on: May 04, 2012, 12:16:52 PM

Plus, you know, vikings. Human sacrifice wasn't exactly unknown to the real world version either. Modern conceptions of good and evil don't really map well to this kind of thing.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1444 on: May 04, 2012, 01:34:09 PM

This is a big thing for Martin. He's really trying hard to write fantasy in a pseudo-historical setting where violence simply doesn't mean the same things to people that it does in the modern world. Nobody liked getting killed, raped or maimed by Viking raiders, but Viking raiders did not think of themselves as evil motherfuckers out to kill, rape and maim because they loved being evil. It's not just that Martin is trying to do the POV of different characters, but he's also trying to put all his characters in a world where being human is just...different. Now I think by book 4 & 5 he's failing at that because there's stuff going on that feels much more like consciously attempting to shock a modern sensibility, and characters who had much more modern POVs, but leave that for another day (or another season).
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1445 on: May 04, 2012, 05:16:23 PM

Both. People from the Iron Islands are baptized like Theon was, but it's also how they execute their enemies (literal drowning) to offer them up as a sacrifice to The Drowned God. Finally, their clergy are literally drowned then CPR'd back to life.

I think in book 4 it goes into how the "traditional" baptism was drowning and artificial respiration by the priest.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1446 on: May 04, 2012, 05:21:44 PM

Hey it worked most times, well a majority of the time at least.

I am the .00000001428%
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1447 on: May 04, 2012, 10:23:03 PM

I didn't think there were any other gods in their pantheon.  

I found a refference (A Feast for Crows, Chapter 19) to The Storm God, The Drowned God's eternal equal and enemy. His main role appears to be a being a giant dick and trying to kill Iron Islanders and The Drowned God with guess what? Storms.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:25:38 PM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1448 on: May 06, 2012, 07:19:14 PM

Tonks full frontal = win.

I am the .00000001428%
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1449 on: May 07, 2012, 10:46:45 AM

I'm glad I haven't read the books. This series is great. I'm going to be so sad in like 6 weeks when the season is over....

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1450 on: May 07, 2012, 11:28:47 AM

You are gonna be even sadder after i tell you there's only four episodes left.

I am the .00000001428%
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1451 on: May 07, 2012, 11:49:34 AM

I hate HBO sometimes.

I hate you more.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1452 on: May 07, 2012, 12:06:30 PM

Whoa, fantastic episode, IMO the best of the season by far. If you read the books, you'll know they made a pretty BIG change compared to the books; I think I know how that will end, but it will be still interesting to see how they will show it.

The boy playing Bran Stark is getting better and better, he's almost on par with Maisie Williams (Arya), IMO.

Addendum: oh, and Ygritte, my beloved Ygritte  Heart . So far, it looks like that both the writers and the actress totally nailed the character. So happy, since she's  among my favourites of the book series (if not THE favourite).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:09:41 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1453 on: May 07, 2012, 12:26:04 PM

Hm.. some big changes to the details from the summary I just read.  Nothing that shouldn't keep the larger points from being completed, but it certainly will change a number of things.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1454 on: May 07, 2012, 02:22:59 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1455 on: May 07, 2012, 02:39:42 PM

Where the hell are they getting all the ladyshaves from ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1456 on: May 07, 2012, 05:29:52 PM

I think the dragon theft is just a better plot device to get Danerys somewhere that she was already going to have to go.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1457 on: May 07, 2012, 06:56:03 PM

I think the dragon theft is just a better plot device to get Danerys somewhere that she was already going to have to go.

She cannot kill in the town unless they break the rules.  Which they did.

Bu-bye.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1458 on: May 08, 2012, 04:48:20 AM

She cannot kill in the town unless they break the rules.  Which they did.

Bu-bye.

I'm thinking here of a particular House...
WayAbvPar

Reply #1459 on: May 08, 2012, 09:01:30 AM

They must have a hell of a merkin budget.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #1460 on: May 08, 2012, 01:33:34 PM

They must have a hell of a merkin budget.

Oh man. Can't you just let fantasy live?     Tantrum

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1461 on: May 14, 2012, 01:31:58 AM

I think that's the first time I've fully appreciated that line from the story, really well delivered.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1462 on: May 14, 2012, 07:23:56 AM

Squee!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1463 on: May 14, 2012, 10:46:46 AM

I really find myself enjoying the Tywin/Arya dynamic, though I know it can't last much longer. Decent episode all around!

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1464 on: May 14, 2012, 03:22:35 PM

I think that's the first time I've fully appreciated that line from the story, really well delivered.

It was amazing.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1465 on: May 14, 2012, 03:23:58 PM

I've always been in love with the character, but now I think I also enjoy the actress: love that husky tone of voice and how she delivers the lines  Heart

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1466 on: May 14, 2012, 11:42:55 PM

I just love how brazen she is without sounding like a drugged up hooker looking for enough cash to score another hit.  Not that I know what those sound like.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1467 on: May 15, 2012, 08:55:16 AM

I must admit, after the last two episodes taking a somewhat drastic veer off from the books, I got a bit worried - especially when the dragons were stolen. But the more I think on the changes they are making, the more I'm actually liking them better than the book. I especially think the dragon hostage story makes a lot more sense than what was shown in the books. It gives Dany more reason to go to the House of the Undying in the first place. I'm still not sure how they are going to resolve the Jon Snow thing, but the interaction with Ygritte is interesting.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1468 on: May 15, 2012, 09:21:50 AM

As someone who hasn't read the books, Snow being lost with Ygritte is the first time I've given a shit about the Wall (and North of the wall) storyline. Really enjoying those two.

Arya and Lannister is awesome. Arya may end up as my new favorite character over the imp, but not quite yet.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1469 on: May 15, 2012, 09:22:59 AM

At this point, since I read the first 2 books so long ago, it is hard for me to distinguish.  I remember that the dragons were never stolen, but the Ygritte subplot escapes me.

I have never played WoW.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: