Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:16:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Starting up shortly. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Starting up shortly.  (Read 5378 times)
trias_e
Terracotta Army

on: January 09, 2009, 03:28:14 PM

A friend of mine* and I are interested in starting EVE again.  Can we join you guys?

He likes the economic aspects and trading most.  Not sure how that applies to the f13 corp?

I don't know what I like yet!

Any starting tips?  Does race matter?  I'll likely be Minmatar simply because their ships are super fast, right?

*No, my friend is not a spy.  Promise.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:29:42 PM

PM an active member your email addresses for 21 day trial invites (vs the standard 14).

Witty banter not included.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 04:10:08 PM

Dick around with the character creation a bit before you decide on one to play...it is a hell of lot more interesting than it used to be, and you can get some nice starting skills if you do it right. For instance, I am pretty sure you can start with Trade IV or V if you choose the right path, which might be good for your spy buddy.

Minmatar ships are fast for the most part. Good cov ops, good HACs. Battleships are meh, especially for fleet ops. The beauty about starting up is it is easy to cross train all the racial frigates and decide what you like the best. If you join GS, then you can memorize the wiki to plan what you want to do down the road.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 04:18:41 PM

Is covert ops useful?  If so, me and my buddy could possibly duo spy on you guys for you guys.

I'm definitely very interested in covert ops.  I don't like big ships.  I like fast ships and tricky ships.

It would be cool if my friend and I could do something in tandem in the game though, whatever path we choose.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:48:43 PM

Covert ops is fantastic.  And you guys could make a good duo for catching ratters if one of you does DPS while the other scouts them out.
Salutant
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:31:05 PM

Hello!  This is Trias' friend.  I honestly have no idea what I want to do down the road, but for now I've started a fairly generic fighter type.  How do I go about talking to someone in game?  Any basic tips?  Last time I played this game was years ago...and I never got very far since I never got involved with a corp.  Looking forward to meeting you guys.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 10:59:11 PM

Join the "F13" channel in game, we all idle there and entertain all sorts of galactic riffraff.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 01:58:18 AM

SPY!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 02:58:06 AM

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 02:58:50 AM

/casts charm person

*edit*
Verily!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:01:12 AM by Pezzle »
Salutant
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 09:48:39 AM

Yeah Trias told me how so many people like me are spys.  Which I think is hilarious, and a big reason I want to give the game a serious try.  One of the big questions I have is what type of character would help out the corp early on?  Miner, Hauler or a Combat type?  I honestly just want to be useful, and would do whatever.
WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 10:01:08 AM

Don't worry about helping the corp right away. Do something you think is interesting. As your skills and your game knowledge grow, then you can look for a niche to fill.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Salutant
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 10:07:47 AM

I guess I just get a bit overwhelmed with character creation.  Choosing which things to start at V with is daunting, and it feels like it would be hard to switch from one thing to another.  Do people switch from combat to mining, or do both?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 10:24:32 AM

I guess I just get a bit overwhelmed with character creation.  Choosing which things to start at V with is daunting, and it feels like it would be hard to switch from one thing to another.  Do people switch from combat to mining, or do both?

For me eve is a list of short term goals. If you think "I want to fly a Battleship today!!!" forget it, but fly a frigate well or a cruiser that's achievable. Yes people swap and change all the time, but a lot of the long term players have alts that only do industry or fighting. I can fly a t2 mining barge and am very good in a battleship, but I am 3 years old.

I would try out what you like. some people like starting at rocks, some like missions, some like flying around in frigs. But be sure to ask questions.

I will say this. Get your engineering, cpu and energy management skills up from the very beginning.

Hic sunt dracones.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 10:35:39 AM

Unless you are making a character that will just do one thing and then not need to train anymore you really shouldn't make a character based on what Vs he gets.  You should make a character with very strong stats that will help you learn the dozens of other Vs you will need to get faster.  This explains it and then has a public link at the bottom to typical min/max type builds.

Also name your character such that the first letter is something in the middle of the alphabet like m.  In large fleet battles people are often shot in A-Z or Z-A order.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 12:15:59 PM

Having tried and quit doing the industry thing first, I would recommend going combat first. 

You may find that you still love industry and there is quite a large amount of work to do in that area.  But without having to learn firsthand what combat pilots need, you'll be a little adrift when trying to learn everything you need to know to produce stuff that's needed.  There is a lot to this game, so take your time learning it and restart an industrialist (or get a second account) a few months down the line.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 01:08:15 PM

I decided to do something different and make an Amarr.  Name is Tiracar.  I am floating around.
Salutant
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 04:24:45 PM

I'm caldari, and my name is Crommarti
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 04:27:21 PM

I decided to do something different and make an Amarr.  Name is Tiracar.  I am floating around.

Good for you.  Amarr rule!
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 09:46:33 PM

Seriously, it most be spy month or something :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 11:40:34 AM

I forget about training the learning/attribute boosting skills.  I hate this part of starting out  : /
Rodivar
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 03:56:23 PM

Seriously, it most be spy month or something :)

Wave after wave, we have more. 

Ever see the borg?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 01:45:08 AM

I forget about training the learning/attribute boosting skills.  I hate this part of starting out  : /

Don't go overboard on the learning skills at first.   Rather than bore yourself rigid learning them all in the order evemon suggests (which takes a month or so), learn the ones you don't start with to 2 or 3, then learn the basic pvp or pve skills.  Then do the minimum necessary to get yourself learning at a decent speed (basics to 4, advanced to 2, say?), utilising nighttimes for the bulk of it, then (if PvE) get yourself into a battlecruiser or (if PvP is your thing) concentrate for a few days (that's all it takes with frigates and their support skills) on becoming really good in a small ship.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Predator Irl
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 02:17:52 AM

I would suggest training frigs, cruisers and battlecruisers and some support skills, then see what type of ship you like. Don't waste your time training a battleship until you are playing at least 4 months. Until you have pretty good skills, you can do everything better in a battlecruiser and they are cheaper to fly (or lose). 

Tip of the day: If you really want to be worshiped by the alliance, train dictors!

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 03:46:45 AM

Tip of the day: If you really want to be worshiped by the alliance, train dictors!
Or get the skills necessary to fit a shuttle with some nice stuff DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Salutant
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 02:36:19 PM

as in interdictors?  I'm fine with that.  As for shuttles, what type of stuff would I do in that?  I'm assuming some kind of electronic warfare etc.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 02:54:13 PM

I've just started up as well, WAR didn't give me the PvP fix I needed (actually, nothing has given me the PvP fix I need since Tribes/Tribes 2) but this looks like fun and hell, the stories you read on the forum are a massive selling point. I'm having stability issues on my PC (CTDs) but it runs fine on my laptop. The PC is 5 years old (Prescott P4 3gig - not OC'd, 7 series Geforce, 4 gig RAM) that you can cook a steak on when it runs games. The lappy is a 1.8 LG that is 3 years old - weird that is runs stable on it but not the PC that is fine with other games.

Anyway - just feeling my way through the game, it seems fun but I'm totally lost with a lot of it. Still, it's fun to experiment and get bits and pieces of it.

Character is Dallith Bradley (Hunters of the Red Moon fan).

Cheers

Oh, I need to insert a "I am not a spy" into the post? I'm a noob at EVE - I'm not sure if that's better or worse :P

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 06:56:26 PM

me 2

see I can figure out agents this time

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 01:00:12 AM

I just started up again after a long break, can I get a list of LOVEU offices? Of should i just head over to the headquarters?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 07:33:23 AM

as in interdictors?  I'm fine with that.  As for shuttles, what type of stuff would I do in that?  I'm assuming some kind of electronic warfare etc.

If you get your standing with COSMOS up enough they have shuttles with bonuses to remote repair.  Big help to cap & sniper fleets and such.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Starting up shortly.  
Jump to: