Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 09:43:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: I just fired my old account back up. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I just fired my old account back up.  (Read 7876 times)
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 02:00:31 AM

Fucking Rancer. My last corp had their home base in lowsec about 2 jumps from there.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 08:49:06 AM

Noobs leading noobs to their death. This is Eve at its finest, baby!

Embrace your first loss. It won't be your last. And without the sour, the sweet just ain't as sweet.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
WayAbvPar

Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 09:07:06 AM

(...)
System: Rancer
(...)

That's where things went wrong.
Set your autopilot navigation to avoid Rancer and never touch it again.

Yep. Rancer is a fucking hellhole teeming with pirates. That was where I lost my first ship ever! Poor little Tristan...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 09:13:57 AM

I wonder how many people were podded for the first time in Rancer?  That's where I got podded the first time, less than a week into the game trying to transport all my worldly goods from Minmatar territory to Korsiki.  Who got me?  Ginger Magician.

Over and out.
WayAbvPar

Reply #39 on: January 08, 2009, 09:14:50 AM

Heh. I had him chase me through a few systems (or maybe he was just traveling!) once upon a time.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pax
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 08, 2009, 09:49:00 AM

I, too, once died in Rancer, in a Minmatar Rookie ship (I'm Amarr and had stolen the boat) - fell to a smartbombing Aeon and some battleships.
the united. keep their supercaps off gates since the introduction of HICs, though.

Mia san de Borg. Aichan Widastaund keannt's aich ind' Hoar schmian.
Logik
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 03:15:47 PM

That's funny, all my times in Rancer were quite pleasant.  Just a few friends hanging around (on the gate) with our weapons live and reppers going.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #42 on: January 10, 2009, 09:47:52 PM

That's funny, all my times in Rancer were quite pleasant.  Just a few friends hanging around (on the gate) with our weapons live and reppers going.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I honestly cannot think of a more lame way to spend my time then popping unexpecting shit ships repeatedly. Besides, well, suicide ganking.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 11, 2009, 08:53:20 AM

I honestly cannot think of a more lame way to spend my time then popping unexpecting shit ships repeatedly. Besides, well, suicide ganking.

Oh, good pre-emptive save  Grin

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #44 on: January 11, 2009, 10:35:43 AM

I would love to spend my time jumping into gatecamps setup for shit ships with a nice fleet. No one expects to get raped on a shitty gatecamp.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 12, 2009, 02:43:27 AM

I would love to spend my time jumping into gatecamps setup for shit ships with a nice fleet. No one expects to get raped on a shitty gatecamp.

IAC got pretty used to it in Doril.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
w00key
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 12, 2009, 07:34:36 AM

Reactivated my old acc from 2006:

Heartbreak

Now I know why I left EVE... Oh well, at least I can fly my Badger II, gotta clean up my bookmarks tho, got a whole lot of obsolete gate to gate waypoints... Whoever suggested to new guys they should train to 3/5 advanced learning first should be shot.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 12, 2009, 09:20:59 AM

Spending your first month on the stupid learning skills is almost a guarantee of early boredom and burnout.
w00key
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 12, 2009, 11:21:31 AM

Hmm. EVEMon is depressing. Basically, all I can do now is pewpew rocks in an Osprey and haul stuff with the Badger II. Got cruisers but I doubt that will do any good.

What skills are useful for a carebear-pve newbie? I think I was training my way to a mining barge before I left, with 5 days worth of books left before getting the Procurer according to the planner. That's the easiest route forward as far as I can see.

As for pvp, I'd love to try some, but I don't think anyone but f13 and the goons have a use for a newbie in a frigate. I could drive a cruiser, but I don't think I can fly it effectively yet, and it just makes you easier to blow up. At least I somehow managed to train for MWD / Web / Disruptor, not that I ever fitted any EW. Hmm...
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #49 on: January 12, 2009, 11:27:30 AM

For Level 1 missions, you can easily hop in a kestrel (frigate) and blow stuff up with standard missiles. I'm pretty sure all Caldari start with basic missile skills.

For Level 2s, since you have Caldari Cruiser already, you could work towards a Caracal and get the Heavy Missiles skill, which will pretty much clean out all L2s with little effort.

For Level 3s, you could get the Battlecruisers skill and use the Drake in combination with your aforementioned Heavy Missiles skill to dominate pretty much all L3s with okay shield tanking skills.

For all of these, you'll want decent fitting skills (engineering/electronics, the various Upgrades skills) and tanking skills (the Shield ones under Engineering). These are all achievable goals for your basic PVE Newbie, although I personally find missioning to be dreadfully, dreadfully boring.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #50 on: January 12, 2009, 11:37:04 AM

>  EVEMon is depressing.
So true.  It's so useful but at the same time you see exactly how many months away you are from were you want to be.   Heartbreak

"Me am play gods"
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 12, 2009, 11:55:35 AM

Propulsion Jamming I
High Speed Maneuvering I  (sub in Afterburner I until you get HSM trained)
Frigate of your choice IV

You are now useful in PvP.

Over and out.
w00key
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 12, 2009, 12:18:27 PM

Propulsion Jamming I
High Speed Maneuvering I  (sub in Afterburner I until you get HSM trained)
Frigate of your choice IV

You are now useful in PvP.

Yea, these 3 skills aren't the problem. Being in the right place at the right time is. I've got a few taxi frigs all over the place with MWD's fitted (from the time when you had to make your own gate to gate waypoints, no warp to 0km) and got the basic jamming skills, but you're totally dependent on a corp taking care of you as a newbie.

Just catching up on the "new newbie skills" atm, working my way to Salvaging in 8h. It's a good thing I got a little retirement fund of 15M, 900k for that book alone would mean a lot of grinding otherwise, but as it doubles the mission income, you can't live without it.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 13, 2009, 06:58:57 AM

If you just want to pve for a bit while you get up to speed training a battlecruiser and medium guns and equip worked well for me.

A battlecruiser poorly fit can do lvl 3 missions pretty easily and as you work the skills up (skills that you will need eventually for pvp fits as well) you will be able to move into the easier lvl 4s, which can be a pretty significant source of cash if you are willing to run a salvaging op after the mission.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 13, 2009, 10:56:31 AM

For Level 1 missions, you can easily hop in a kestrel (frigate) and blow stuff up with standard missiles. I'm pretty sure all Caldari start with basic missile skills.

For Level 2s, since you have Caldari Cruiser already, you could work towards a Caracal and get the Heavy Missiles skill, which will pretty much clean out all L2s with little effort.

For Level 3s, you could get the Battlecruisers skill and use the Drake in combination with your aforementioned Heavy Missiles skill to dominate pretty much all L3s with okay shield tanking skills.

For all of these, you'll want decent fitting skills (engineering/electronics, the various Upgrades skills) and tanking skills (the Shield ones under Engineering). These are all achievable goals for your basic PVE Newbie, although I personally find missioning to be dreadfully, dreadfully boring.

This is pretty much exactly what I did, and missions were EZ. Add salvaging and a little bit of buying and selling, and you make money pretty quickly.

But, I also think that shit is boring as hell. How do the people who live in 0.0 make their money? Just ratting/mining?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #55 on: January 13, 2009, 11:18:09 AM

This is pretty much exactly what I did, and missions were EZ. Add salvaging and a little bit of buying and selling, and you make money pretty quickly.

But, I also think that shit is boring as hell. How do the people who live in 0.0 make their money? Just ratting/mining?

Exploration, running static plexes if you have a group, importing and exporting also.

Witty banter not included.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 13, 2009, 11:29:06 AM

Exploration?

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 13, 2009, 11:31:13 AM

You do the same stuff in 0.0 to make money as you do low-sec/hi-sec.  You just make more of it faster.

Lvl 4 missions get you, what?  10 Mil ISK an hour with good skills and a good setup?  Ratting in a good true sec system in 0.0 can more than double or triple that with a random chance at some really big bucks.  Same for the other ways of making cash.  I've seen Endie throw around figures like 50 mil ISK an hour mining in 0.0.

I guess the real reason why 0.0 is better though is that you only have to pve a little bit to support your pvp habit.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pax
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 13, 2009, 01:51:26 PM

Lvl 4 missions get you, what?  10 Mil ISK an hour with good skills and a good setup?

The controversial thing about lvl 4 missions is that they net you 20mill upwards on -average-, factoring in rewards, time bonus, bounties, loot, salvage and loyality points.
And that's in the relative safety of empire space.

Mia san de Borg. Aichan Widastaund keannt's aich ind' Hoar schmian.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: I just fired my old account back up.  
Jump to: