Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:52:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  (Read 625278 times)
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: October 21, 2008, 10:11:57 AM

First time reader, already a poster is generally not a good way to go about things, regardless of where you are. You're bound to appear like an uninformed tool (because really, you are).

It's not like the mentioned status quo is that hard to reach anyway. After all, I'm let to post here. ACK!

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: October 21, 2008, 10:13:05 AM

When are they patching in pre TOA Emain Macha?
wufiavelli

Email
Reply #527 on: October 21, 2008, 10:15:45 AM

Some of you guys make the darkfall forums look mature.  That is quite a feat i would be proud of yourself.

Lol, you read the darkfall forums. Go away.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:18:56 AM by schild »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #528 on: October 21, 2008, 10:24:50 AM

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:28:01 AM by schild »

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: October 21, 2008, 10:26:21 AM

My previous troll was unsuccessful, I am saddened.

Permission to add more vitriol?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: October 21, 2008, 10:35:34 AM

Oh and just wanted to add that the slayer does not make sense to be added in the game. A slayer is supposed to be a dwarf who, and here i quote wikipedia, "suffered a great shame, loss or humiliation" and "He will then go out into the world, seeking out an honorable death in combat". This game is based on an IP which it must follows so I doubt that Gameworkshop will allow that.

I'm no Warhammer lore expert, but there were complaints that the Hammerer was too elite a Dwarven unit to be a common class.

Also, the reality is that Witch Hunters should be shooting those Archmages in the back, just to be sure, while the Marauders should run a random chance of chaos mutating into something completely useless.

Slayers are too cool a unit to leave out. Make them insanely high burst damage with paper armour.

... oh, and dying gives them a self-buff smiley

Not to mention that the Slayer is a huge draw to the lone wolf retard crowd.  You know, the same people who play Disciples of Khaine and name them Drizzt.  It'll be fun awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #531 on: October 21, 2008, 10:35:51 AM

Let's play a game, who can we blame for this?

Warhammer Alliance (11 threads about this, 3 threads about us, and counting)
The French (Canard PC & Jeuxonline)
The Vault
Kotaku - twice
FoH
Clan Scum
The Google Translator (Starfuckers of the world unite)
Something Awful
Stratics
Hrose (SHOCKING)
Old Timers Guild
MMORPG.com
Darkstar
Lum (huh? he blindsided peole with a link)
uoforums.com
Eternal Keggers
TTH
Warcry
Brutality

So far somewhere around 90% of the posters that have posted have been deleted. What does this say for the internet at large? Are we too strict? Or should they not be let out of their bubbles? Discuss.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #532 on: October 21, 2008, 10:40:36 AM

I think a better solution is ways for players to more quickly get to the action as has been mentioned previously in this thread. A mechinism that would work for both pqs and RvR would be good.

What about allowing guild banners to be planted at PQs as well as in RvR areas and then having a tele-port to banner ability?

Um, this is a great idea. Banners that allow guild members to teleport to the action. Needs to not be cockblocked by Guild Rank 40 or someshit but this would work. The more I think about it the more I like this idea. It's not a freebie - you have to have guild members in the action already, and one who's a banner carrier but it would really solve the 'chase the puck' game of finding a fight.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:43:26 AM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: October 21, 2008, 10:41:17 AM

I think you said it best already. This is a community and not a fansite.  If people can't come in here and become part of the community gradually, then I say fuck em. If you start allowing "Hay Mark Jaykobs!", "Hey LumZ", mouthbreathers in here who post solely to get some red name's attention, then you become a fansite.

We all talk about a lot of things here, and we talk to one another as much as we talk to red names who may be interested in something. Personally, that's why I like this place even though many of us have our own posts modded or deleted from time to time.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Erdrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: October 21, 2008, 10:42:40 AM

So far somewhere around 90% of the posters that have posted have been deleted. What does this say for the internet at large? Are we too strict? Or should they not be let out of their bubbles? Discuss.

I'm a bit new, but if I may.

Coming from a total newb who stumbled apon you guys like everyone else I can completely understand what you are doing and like I said above I simply cannot believe that people don't get it. Even if these new posters write a masterpiece of information there is less than a 1% chance they will actually be responded too. Not to mention the people who have been coming here have likely posted those exact same thoughts on 6 other sites and the devs are likely tired of reading them let alone wish to respond to them. Why on earth would you guys want to be the filter for repeated filth let alone want them to stick around should they choose?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: October 21, 2008, 10:47:17 AM

I'm a bit new, but if I may.

Coming from a total newb who stumbled apon you guys like everyone else I can completely understand what you are doing and like I said above I simply cannot believe that people don't get it. Even if these new posters write a masterpiece of information there is less than a 1% chance they will actually be responded too. Not to mention the people who have been coming here have likely posted those exact same thoughts on 6 other sites and the devs are likely tired of reading them let alone wish to respond to them. Why on earth would you guys want to be the filter for repeated filth let alone want them to stick around should they choose?

For more or less the exact reason you said it, because people just don't get it, it's funny, and it's mostly restricted to this thread because people haven't seemed to figure out that there are forums here other than the warhammer one.  It's also the sole reason I delurked and actually posted something.  Here's to hoping I get deleted so  I don't have to live with my first set of posts having been in this thread, because I just know that one is going to come back and bite me in the ass later, especially now since I managed to fuck up choosing quote over modify to fix this post.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:53:15 AM by Ard »
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #536 on: October 21, 2008, 10:56:05 AM

If only Psychochild still posted here to give us some cred with the super-wide M59 crew. Oh dear.

As far as I know, at least a dozen former MUD devs and admins still post here. We should really get colored names though. In a monospaced font. ESC[0m.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
kam
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: October 21, 2008, 10:58:49 AM

Uh hey. I'm the one who posted the original f13 thread on WHA.

I just wanted to say sorry. I didn't stop to think that the morans in RvR might think it's a brilliant idea to swarm your forums like crack babies drawn to cocaine cut with lizard piss.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:11:56 AM by kam »
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #538 on: October 21, 2008, 11:10:51 AM

lol this forum is like North Korea. If you don't agree with the management, your out.

No. I've personally given Schild all sorts of grief over the years, and I'm still here. I think this forum has banned all of maybe three serious not-utterly-retarded posters in it's history. Your problem, and that of your cohorts, is that you're a fucking moron. Not that I give a fuck what you think, but someone ought to say it.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: October 21, 2008, 11:21:45 AM

Anyway, I've been so tempted to troll the fuck out of the thread.  But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be good.
Doo eet!

Nah.  That'd probably be bad.  It is tempting enough as is.  I don't need encouragement either.

My new favorite post:
Ah, a true child of the internet generation.  You have a new favorite every five minutes.  (Now if only they'd stop giving you material... though this cross-board mocking war is kind of fun.)

Uh hey. I'm the one who posted the original f13 thread on WHA.

I just wanted to say sorry. I didn't stop to think that the morans in RvR might think it's a brilliant idea to swarm your forums like crack babies drawn to cocaine cut with lizard piss.
Presumably you did it to spread the info.  No harm in that as you cannot control what others do.  (And goes to show just how badly there need to be official forums.  Harp.  Harp.  Harp.)  Schild and a bunch of us seem to be having fun with it, so I'd say no real harm done.  You might even get to say you were indirectly responsible for an Epic thread, which is worth, like, 15 seconds of internet fame.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:27:40 AM by Lantyssa »

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Wershlak
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: October 21, 2008, 11:32:57 AM

Presumably you did it to spread the info.  No harm in that as you cannot control what others do.  (And goes to show just how badly there need to be official forums.  Harp.  Harp.  Harp.)  Schild and a bunch of us seem to be having fun with it, so I'd say no real harm done.  You might even get to say you were indirectly responsible for an Epic thread, which is worth, like, 15 seconds of internet fame.

No real harm done? I've spent the past day and a half at work trying to catch up with this thread. Those TPS reports won't generate themselves!  Sad Panda
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #541 on: October 21, 2008, 11:43:14 AM

It should be mandatory to lurk on these forums for a minimum of three years before even being allowed to register a username.  The big spaghetti monster in the sky knows I did.  embarassed

Oh and, yeah, Warhammer 'n stuff. etc.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: October 21, 2008, 11:44:59 AM

Let's play a game, who can we blame for this?

Normal Person + Audience + Anonymity = Total Dipshit, for a given value of "Normal Person".

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #543 on: October 21, 2008, 11:49:03 AM

lol this forum is like North Korea. If you don't agree with the management, your out.

No. I've personally given Schild all sorts of grief over the years, and I'm still here. I think this forum has banned all of maybe three serious not-utterly-retarded posters in it's history. Your problem, and that of your cohorts, is that you're a fucking moron. Not that I give a fuck what you think, but someone ought to say it.

To be fair to the new guys, I think it was Raph Kosterfucking that brought me here...er well to wTo...back in the day. He has never once responded directly to me  Heartbreak ... This is a lesson to you starfuckers out there....leg humping never pays off....look at me!!!

Oh fuck being fair, you're mostly tools. Never go full retard.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Maladee
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: October 21, 2008, 11:50:58 AM

When are they patching in pre TOA Emain Macha?

Speaking of TOA (sort of):  Anyone notice that Cetus (a la ML1 fame) is frozen into the lake in Blackfire Basin with only his horn above the ice?  It made me giggle as I died (again)!   ACK!

I miss old Emain!  Endless battles at the MGs, throwing keyboards at the wall in frustration because of asshats who can't seem to figure out that when you line of sight your healers, you do not get heals!  Getting a phone call at 4am because the Albs were doing a relic raid and Hibbies needed to defend.  ("I haven't slept in 4 days...Can't we just take the relics back while the Albs are at school?...fine, fine I'm logging on now.")   Oh yeah, those were the days!  Mythic did open field PvP/RvR like nobody's business and I still have high hopes that MJ will find a way to make it so again...eventually!

There was an insane (read:  fun) open field battle last week in the T3 HE zone.  Ironically, it started because someone yells "let's go take this keep back while we wait for TA to pop".  The battle lasted for about 3 hours and Order would push to the keep door, then get pushed back to the bridge...rinse, repeat.  Nothing was ever accomplished (realm-wise) but it did give me hope that eventually there will be "real" PvP/RvR action instead of the WoW-esque BG grind.  

At least the folks at Mythic are aware of the complaints, even if there aren't any insta-solutions being passed down.  Hmm, does this make me an optimist rather than a cynic?  Give me time!  I'll work on my negativity!  awesome, for real

P.S.  Sorry for returning to the original topic.  If I should switch gears and complain about trolls instead, let me know!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:55:31 AM by Maladee »

It's not that I don't like people. It's just that when I'm in the company of others - even my nearest and dearest - there always comes a moment when I'd rather be reading a book. — Maureen Corrigan
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #545 on: October 21, 2008, 11:55:13 AM

It can't be helping this game that it's PVP system sounds utterly inscrutable even to a reasonably MMO savvy chap like myself. I've been reading about it in these threads and I still have no idea how it works.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: October 21, 2008, 11:56:34 AM

To be fair to the new guys, I think it was Raph Kosterfucking that brought me here...er well to wTo...back in the day. He has never once responded directly to me  Heartbreak ... This is a lesson to you starfuckers out there....leg humping never pays off....look at me!!!
Ha ha!  He's responded to me, like, twice!  Okay, once was on the SWG boards when I answered his "To be first name this Miyazaki movie with its full Japanese name" update.  So maybe you're better off.  You could be ME.

It can't be helping this game that it's PVP system sounds utterly inscrutable even to a reasonably MMO savvy chap like myself. I've been reading about it in these threads and I still have no idea how it works.
Find enemies.  Kill them.

Finding them is the problem, seeing as it is the main focus of the game.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #547 on: October 21, 2008, 11:57:17 AM

WUA, don't feel bad - the people who have been playing the game all the way through beta and launch have no idea how it works. In fact, we're not even convinced that it does.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: October 21, 2008, 12:10:06 PM

Yeah, but us spectators can't even figure out how it's supposed to work.  And I PvPed in DAoC for years.

Over and out.
voblat
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: October 21, 2008, 12:15:40 PM

It has to be that way so players have something to discuss on the official forums.

Oh , wait.....
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #550 on: October 21, 2008, 12:19:03 PM

Yeah, but us spectators can't even figure out how it's supposed to work.  And I PvPed in DAoC for years.

Neither can the players, which is why most of them keep hitting the same scenario button over and over again. Hence my comment about monkeys stimulating themselves.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: October 21, 2008, 12:23:51 PM

One could have previously described it as cliff diving without a parachute. Rimshot

most often known as Drevik
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: October 21, 2008, 12:26:27 PM

Well, this thread was more entertaining than my time in the WAR beta.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #553 on: October 21, 2008, 12:30:18 PM

To be fair to the new guys, I think it was Raph Kosterfucking that brought me here...er well to wTo...back in the day. He has never once responded directly to me  Heartbreak ... This is a lesson to you starfuckers out there....leg humping never pays off....look at me!!!

Oh fuck being fair, you're mostly tools. Never go full retard.

I just searched, and Raph has responded to me SEVEN times here on f13, bitches! Seven!

In the process, I found this two-year old howler from Falconeer:

Bottom line:
WoW will start to churn and get old soon. In fact it will show very soon after The Burning Crusade release.
And will be beaten by Warhammer Online in late 2008.

Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: October 21, 2008, 12:36:19 PM

I love the game but I think you can go back four *weeks* and find posts like that.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: October 21, 2008, 01:21:29 PM

I miss old Emain!  Endless battles at the MGs, throwing keyboards at the wall in frustration because of asshats who can't seem to figure out that when you line of sight your healers, you do not get heals!  Getting a phone call at 4am because the Albs were doing a relic raid and Hibbies needed to defend.  ("I haven't slept in 4 days...Can't we just take the relics back while the Albs are at school?...fine, fine I'm logging on now.")   Oh yeah, those were the days!  Mythic did open field PvP/RvR like nobody's business and I still have high hopes that MJ will find a way to make it so again...eventually!

This.  I (in my sick and twisted mind) was hoping that WAR would be more this and less WoW-ish scenario grinding.  I do enjoy the fact that scenarios allow for quick entry into the action, but miss the organic, sandbox feel of old frontiers.  I'm hopeful that Mythic will find ways to improve the state of open RvR, but fear that the timeline will come at their usual rate. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Beign

Email
Reply #556 on: October 21, 2008, 01:26:46 PM

This.  I (in my sick and twisted mind) was hoping that WAR would be more this and less WoW-ish scenario grinding.  I do enjoy the fact that scenarios allow for quick entry into the action, but miss the organic, sandbox feel of old frontiers.  I'm hopeful that Mythic will find ways to improve the state of open RvR, but fear that the timeline will come at their usual rate. 

I'm the same way, I like scenarios (a lot) but I miss frontiers.

tommh
Developers

Rockstar New England

Reply #557 on: October 21, 2008, 01:40:54 PM

Another Idea is to add various mechanisms to spy on the other side, as well as ways tgo interact more. All of these could use expended items and thus also double as money sinks

Mark players that kill you so that they show up on the map.
Ability to locate a specific "enemy" player - MAYBE even have the ability to challenge him or his party to a duel?
Guild wars (ala EVE) Guilds have to pay a war fee but the members of these guilds can engage each other anywhere

Some other ideas:
Guilds have a associated set of NPC squads. These squads can be stationed at keeps (maybe only where the guild has a banner?)
When a guilds squads are attacked the guild members are alerted and get some ability to respond (ala guild teleport scrolls)
Squads earn guilds exp points

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #558 on: October 21, 2008, 01:46:43 PM

If only Psychochild still posted here to give us some cred with the super-wide M59 crew. Oh dear.

As far as I know, at least a dozen former MUD devs and admins still post here. We should really get colored names though. In a monospaced font. ESC[0m.

As the former Arch of World on Ancient Anguish, I endorse this plan.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: October 21, 2008, 01:47:33 PM

Neither can the players, which is why most of them keep hitting the same scenario button over and over again. Hence my comment about monkeys stimulating themselves.

I got to experience a special kind of hell today with my Engineer Alt.  I queued up and oddly enough Phoenix popped up.  I joined, only to find myself 8 minutes in to Destruction Curb Stomping.  They had two premade groups of mostly level 17+.  The nice touch was the four level 20+ sorcs  supported by two DOKs and a Shaman circled around the order flag.  They didn't even bother to guard their own since they just killed the flag bearer when he came running up to the order end.  Every couple minutes they'd send the order flag off in the hands of level 21 BO escorted by a dedicated healer a couple marauders and a Witch Elf.  The really cool part was that the next two times the scenario popped it was basically the same story.  Fortunately lunch time ended and I had to get back to work.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  
Jump to: