Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 04:35:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Godmotherfuckingdammit 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Godmotherfuckingdammit  (Read 38409 times)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

on: June 05, 2007, 11:07:43 AM

So I'm level 19 running around the shire killing shit for traits. Lag is terrible and I slide down a little tiny fucking hill and take a little bit of damage. and I rubber band and slide down it again. And take more damage. And rubberband. And slide down the hill. Repeat and I'm fucking "defeated" before I know it. From sliding down a fucking 10 hille near Hobbiton. So much for my fucking Undying title. It pissed me off so fucking much I've cancelled.

The moral of the story: Their way of handling lag fucking sucks shit. Cunts.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:13:54 AM

Weird.  In my experience, falling gets you either a speed debuff with no damage, or you fall too far and die.  I've never fallen for "a little bit of damage." 

Sorry, that sucks...

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 11:16:01 AM

There was a campfire there. The damage might have been from going into the fire over and over again. Anyway, thanks. I'm just pissed because I was really enjoying the game/traits/getting an Undying title and that wrecked it in one fell swoop.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:17:34 AM by angry.bob »

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 11:17:02 AM

So I'm level 19 running around the shire killing shit for traits. Lag is terrible and I slide down a little tiny fucking hill and take a little bit of damage. and I rubber band and slide down it again. And take more damage. And rubberband. And slide down the hill. Repeat and I'm fucking "defeated" before I know it. From sliding down a fucking 10 hille near Hobbiton. So much for my fucking Undying title. It pissed me off so fucking much I've cancelled.

Please tell me you didn't seriously cancel the game because you didn't get the undying title?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 11:19:31 AM

Please tell me you didn't seriously cancel the game because you didn't get the undying title?

Yup. Within a minute of realizing what happened. The reason I'm only level 19 is that I've spent the time being insanely careful in everything I do. That title was pretty much all I wanted. Sooooo badly. If I'd died to a bad pull, my own stupidity, or even lagging out in combat I would shrug and start over. Dying because of rubberbanding, repeating damage though is the end for me.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:22:24 AM by angry.bob »

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 11:22:11 AM

They don't call him Angry.Bob for nothing.

Most likely not going to get a GM response on that one either.  Sorry bout yer luck bob, heard a few horror stories of people nearing the undying title and something terrible happening.
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 11:40:38 AM

They don't call him Angry.Bob for nothing.

Most likely not going to get a GM response on that one either.  Sorry bout yer luck bob, heard a few horror stories of people nearing the undying title and something terrible happening.

Game isn't ready for that title yet, won't stop me from trying again though.

What will stop me is not being able to play for 5min without CTD, and now the graphical bleed is impacting other apps, such as WoW.

Something about this game is hard on my hardware.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 04:16:14 PM

Something about this game is hard on my hardware.

I've found three things that generally crush my system: fancy shadows, dynamic or spec lighting, or fancy water.  Take them away and I can run it on pretty much max settings - even EQ2 or Vanguard.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 05:00:22 PM

What level do you need to get to to get Undying, anyway?  I've heard more than a few wailings and gnashings of teeth over that one.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 05:08:48 PM

You need to get to 20.

And, apparently, not have a sandy female region.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 06:29:36 PM

Does it award you with anything other than a title? If not,  ROFL

Getting bent out of shape over it is seriously weak. How long would it have taken to level another toon to 20? A couple weeks?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 06:34:33 PM

Another toon to twenty? You could probably do it in about 12 online hours.

Christ. I mean I want to feel your pain, but you cancelled because you didn't get the title?

Isn't that kinda like admitting that you want people to see your giant e-peen? Or maybe I'm just bitter because I couldn't even get to 19 without dying; I died at 8 :)

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 06:39:23 PM

Heh, I was also dead at 8.  I discovered the "you really can fall to your death" thing early on.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 06:49:35 PM

The title was the biggest part of it, but the thought of re-killing all those wolves, bandits, orcs, and etcetera that were half my level for traits was the nail in the coffin. I had even done the advanced Slug Killer one. 90 slugs in one session. It wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, but I'm not doing it again. Especially not since my dying had nothing to do with me. I ground out 19 levels on stuff half my level to guarantee I didn't die once... never again.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 06:53:10 PM

It just doesn't make sense to me why you would throw away all of your game just because you didn't get one little whistle.

Oh well, to each his or her own.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 06:56:05 PM

Bob, give it a break. Come back to it later or not. Hell a bad group at the boss spider just out of the newbie zone can kill you quick. It is just a game. If it is not fun, do not play. Do something that is fun.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 09:17:40 PM

I bought the game about a month ago and have been playing off and on. I'm not going to renew past the free month... it was fun, and I don't feel I've wasted my money, but I'm not paying a monthly fee for this. It's an absolutely gorgeous game to look at, even if there's not much worth listening to, but I am tired of playing.

As has been stated before, there's nothing new here... and much of what's old has been done better elsewhere. The sluggish muddle of a combat system drives me nuts. The strange skill distribution and obtuse, worthless crafting system are just sour icing on a bitter cake. Grouping is both necessary and dizzying... everyone has debuffs and skills that interact with eachother, but nobody can cast them fast enough to actually trigger those intractions. The instances feel both cramped and endless.

Nice job on the quests and storylines... deeds are a time-waster that almost feels productive. Almost. Replay value is virtually nil. Monster play would be more fun if I could play an effective monster instead of a gimpy one who struggles fighting mobs two levels his junior.

It was nice to see a lot of the locations from Fellowship of the Ring. It was fun to watch how the storyline runs parallel to the events of that book. It was not fun, however, to play long enough to care how the storyline ends. Also I have yet to find a Great Barrow group who can complete it. Yargh.

Ah well. Back to waiting for a game I was actually looking forward to.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 10:52:32 PM

The whole undying title thing is so lame IMO. It's like active encouragement to play as a total pussy. No risks, no exploring, no pushing your limits at all? For what? A title that tell everyone you managed to play like a pussie for 20 levels?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 11:01:27 PM

The whole undying title thing is so lame IMO. It's like active encouragement to play as a total pussy. No risks, no exploring, no pushing your limits at all? For what? A title that tell everyone you managed to play like a pussie for 20 levels?
I like CoH's attitude more. That game gives you a badge if you gain and work off a certain (very large) amount of exp debt.
Hound
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 01:45:24 AM

/agreed

I think they should have the following titles for not dying

lvl 5- The Wimp
lvl 10 - The Pussy
lvl 20- The Sissy
lvl 30- The Craven
lvl 40- The Gutless
lv 50- The yellow Belly

On the other hand as pointed out sliding down a hill either kills you flat out or makes you limp a bit, you can "sit" on the middle of a NPC's campfire ad no damage will occur. I think the OP is pulling our leg here.

Given the number of failures we've seen in MMORPGs, designers need to learn it's hard enough just to make a fun game without getting distracted by unnecessary drivel.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 01:49:48 AM

I've found that one of things about the first death is it's very liberating - you no longer care about being careful any more.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Xilren's Twin

Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 04:16:09 AM

The title was the biggest part of it, but the thought of re-killing all those wolves, bandits, orcs, and etcetera that were half my level for traits was the nail in the coffin. I had even done the advanced Slug Killer one. 90 slugs in one session. It wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, but I'm not doing it again. Especially not since my dying had nothing to do with me. I ground out 19 levels on stuff half my level to guarantee I didn't die once... never again.

Bob, you're insane. 

You make it sound like you had to play this way.  You do realize that if you chose not to fight stuff half your level in pursuit of a bunch of generally meaningless titles you would have eliminated most of the grind from both a "repeatative action" AND "time spent" standpoint and right?

Honestly, would that one title have given you enough enjoyment to justify the investment of what appears to be "not fun" game time?

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 04:41:01 AM

That's the Dogma about why permdeath is a bad idea. EVERY form of it.

That quote should be in a MMO textbook.

I doubt there are players who bought LOTRO because of that feature. But I'm sure there will be some who will close subscriptions because of it.

The whole undying title thing is so lame IMO. It's like active encouragement to play as a total pussy. No risks, no exploring, no pushing your limits at all? For what?
Yeah, permdeath.

A wicked player-conditioning process to not have fun.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 07:05:21 AM

Get out of the LoTRO forum if you're going to troll, HRose.

It's not permadeath.  Maybe you're saying "this is why people would hate permadeath," but you sound like a blowhard just trying to push his point (from some blog) that nobody here has any involvement with.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 09:14:38 AM

I do need to make one more post on this topic. I have to join in and say 2 things Bob:

1) While I usually love your posts and respect your opinion most of the time this post reeks of sandy vagina.
2) If you're killing things half your level to get a silly title that's pussy.

Now that you've died, go and enjoy the game for real.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 09:25:11 AM

Dunno, if I ran into yet another instance of Turbine rubber band lag, I'd quit right there.  Never saw that in beta, but I still have the scars from AC1&2.

-Rasix
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 11:11:46 AM

It's not permadeath.  Maybe you're saying "this is why people would hate permadeath," but you sound like a blowhard just trying to push his point (from some blog) that nobody here has any involvement with.

Way to address the point. Hope the circle-jerk is at least good.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 11:19:04 AM

Way to address the point. Hope the circle-jerk is at least good.

Way to contribute nothing to the thread. The titles are nothing but cosmetic.  Missing one due to something goofy is nothing on the order of permadeath.  Frustrating, yes.  The permanent end of a character?  No.  Get a grip.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 11:32:15 AM

Adding permadeath to a game not designed for it is stupider than adding PvP.  A game with permadeath would rightly be designed for it, most likely by having a quick character development and fun leveling.

Playing LotRO like a pussy rather fits the lore, I think.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 01:08:41 PM

/agreed

I think they should have the following titles for not dying

lvl 5- The Wimp
lvl 10 - The Pussy
lvl 20- The Sissy
lvl 30- The Craven
lvl 40- The Gutless
lv 50- The yellow Belly

Turbine! hire this man. :)

and Ya, on  the other hand as pointed out sliding down a hill either kills you flat out or makes you limp a bit, you can "sit" on the middle of a NPC's campfire ad no damage will occur. I think the OP is pulling our leg here.

Ya maybe a troll attempt? Never seen Bob troll before but this doesn't fit the mechanics of falling damage in the game remotely.
You just can't take damage the way he described.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 01:13:29 PM by Phred »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 02:02:48 PM

Ya maybe a troll attempt? Never seen Bob troll before but this doesn't fit the mechanics of falling damage in the game remotely.
You just can't take damage the way he described.

Bob's not a troll. I suspect there was something else going on. Maybe a mob hitting him he didn't see because of a weird lag issue.

Rithrin
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 05:14:56 PM

Well, he also could have meant the falling damage debuff. They go in increments of 6, and stack. Fall x feet, get 6 seconds. Fall 2x, get 12. Eventually you just get "defeated" by your falling wounds. I bet that's what went on. If he took real damage then I've no idea since fires do not deal damage, not even the giant open-face lava in the dwarf capitol.

The sweetest wine comes from the grapes of victory.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 05:39:15 PM

Way to contribute nothing to the thread. The titles are nothing but cosmetic.  Missing one due to something goofy is nothing on the order of permadeath.  Frustrating, yes.  The permanent end of a character?  No.  Get a grip.
Most are titles actively sought though. They work well with the present MMOG tech because as with almost all things DIKU, you're either progressing or you are not progressing.

But the undying title is the opposite. This is probably one of the hardest titles to get in any MMO that has them, because it will absolutely affect absolutely everything you do in the game world. You know how hard it is for someone on their first character in a new MMO to not die all the way to the endgame? I don't give a rat's ass how many titles one has played. Every one is different enough that whatever you did in one can't be replicated in another. And only part of that is due to the game mechanic being tweaked. The other part is the integrity of the back end system.

Yea yea, some'll say "yea, but that's playing wimpy". That's just another stupid subjective label that ignores the basic premise that within these worlds, you are allowed to try to be different. If not dying is fun to achieve, particularly when there's an ingame reward for it, then how's that different from attaining all the "killed all Spiders" badges? Because of playstyle? Yea, I can see that... because getting that Spiders badge is a fuckload easier to do.

Getting killed by Wights, having lost some progress along the path of killing 50 of them, is actually easier to take than watching the game go all haywire and shutting down that path for that character for good.
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 07, 2007, 01:42:23 AM

Would WoW be a better game if you couldn't respec your talents? If you don't care about raiding, you could still solo to 70 with nigh no ill effects. Would that make WoW a better game? I say no. MMOs are all about character development. If you can gimp your character then by definition you can't develop your character to be ungimped, regardless of how minuscule the difference is.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #34 on: June 07, 2007, 06:58:13 AM

Would WoW be a better game if you couldn't respec your talents? If you don't care about raiding, you could still solo to 70 with nigh no ill effects. Would that make WoW a better game? I say no. MMOs are all about character development. If you can gimp your character then by definition you can't develop your character to be ungimped, regardless of how minuscule the difference is.

There is NO difference between having the title and not having it.  None.  It's not a matter of being gimped.  If you feel that lacking a bit of text next to your head (that has absolutely no functional effect on the game at all, none) gimps your character, then I don't know what to tell you.  It sure as shit ain't gimping it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Godmotherfuckingdammit  
Jump to: