Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 04:04:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer trailer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer trailer  (Read 23006 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: December 26, 2006, 11:26:44 AM

Now available to watch here.

Watched this a few times at my theater now.  I don't really expect it to be a great movie, but it should at least be better than the first one.  The Surfer is going to be a hard character to do right, especially if they try to get any emotion out of him later.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 11:39:00 AM

Well, you know I'm a Surfer fanboy...

I thought the FF movie sucked, but I'll have to see this. At least the trailer gets one thing right: He's first seen as a villain.

Almost seems like they're trying to merge the Sub-Mariner story arc with the Surfer's though (of course, that trailer isn't much to go on).

Would have preferred his entry into cinema be a animated film though.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 12:05:28 PM

What ?

Eh ?

When did this get the go ahead ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 01:34:21 PM

That looked pretty damn cool. I liked the first one, though it could have been better... mostly with the villain. I didn't like their version of Dr. Doom. Surfer looks fantastic in this one. I'm going to bet that if they have the actors signed to a third movie, this one will be the build up to the Coming of Galactus for the 3rd movie, meaning this one will end in a cliffhanger like Pirates 2.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 12:48:59 AM

I loved the little homage to Jack Kirby with the Surfer's posing and hands on the board though I'm not sure I'm so keen on his new "phasing" ability (is that something they've added to him in the last decade or so in the comics?). But really what inquiring minds want to know is: is Jessica Alba going to strip down to her skivves again? :-D

Direct Link to 1080p version

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 01:22:48 AM

He has the Power Cosmic! Which pretty much means anything goes. He could rip the gamma ray effects straight out of the Hulk or turn Superman's suit into kryptonite if he wants. There's basically nothing that can stop the Silver Surfer other than his own gullibility and naivete.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 04:53:47 AM

Awesome, so the Surfer is a gigantic Munchkin character?  You're the same guy who likes Venom aren't you?

Yes, I'm feeling pissy this morn.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 05:45:01 AM

No. I'm the one who likes Venom.

Or, rather, defends Venom.  He isn't exactly my favorite character, but I don't think he's a blight on comics.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 09:10:01 AM

I'm not exactly sure what a munchkin is, but if Merusk means overpowered, then yeah, the Surfer is overpowered.

On the other hand, his opponents are of the overpowered variety too. His own creator Galactus. The rest of Galactus' heralds. Mephisto. Olympians. Titans, deities, and demi-gods in general. So it's not overpowered so much as he's just in a different class. A lot of Surfer comics don't even take place on earth. Usually, if you're looking to give him an equal fight, you pit him against other otherworldly and/or intergalactic characters. Barring characters like the Phoenix or Dr. Strange maybe, there isn't much anyone is going to do against him on earth.

If it makes you feel better, he can get tired ;).
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 09:21:58 AM

Barring characters like the Phoenix or Dr. Strange maybe, there isn't much anyone is going to do against him on earth.

Unless you're Zombie Hulk and friends, at least. 
Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 11:27:21 AM

Argh, another childhood hero resurrected for the corporate machine rapezor, I'll pass... I'll take solace in hoping this leads to more kids reading the originals and appreciating the greatness of Jack Kirby.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 11:45:48 AM

There seems to be many nods throughout films to the Surfer and Jack Kirby, that I suspect the creative writing part of Hollywood has been in love with them for a long time. Perhaps there are good intentions behind this flick. I say give it a chance.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 05:05:35 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 08:52:49 AM

The new trailer looks teh hot.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 09:06:02 AM

The new trailer looks teh hot.

So it shows lots of Alba?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 09:32:32 AM

That would make it the SUPAR SMOKING HAWTNESS.

It's still cool, but with only a modicum of Albaness.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 09:49:06 AM

Looks better than the previous film did from its trailers, and the previous film turned out about as well as I expected it would.  So that bodes well for this one.  I am pleased.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Llava
Contributor

Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 09:53:03 AM

Okay, I'm definitely on the "Alba is smoking hot" bus, but am I the only one who thinks she looks ridiculous in this trailer?  For just under a second, I didn't even realize it was her.  Too much makeup, unnatural hair color, just weird.  Somebody fix, please.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 10:08:31 AM

Yeah, she does look weird. The contacts especially.

I hope the movie does reasonably well (even if the first one sucked). I need a Surfer spinoff.

[EDIT]

Oh yeah. did you know that Galactus is a CLOUD in this movie? Not a giant humanoid.

Somehow, I don't mind. He's iconic as far as comics go, but I could see that being very ridiculous in a live action film.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 10:20:27 AM by Stray »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 10:32:57 AM

Galactus looked pretty ridiculous even in the comics.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 03:36:20 PM

[EDIT]

Oh yeah. did you know that Galactus is a CLOUD in this movie? Not a giant humanoid.

Somehow, I don't mind. He's iconic as far as comics go, but I could see that being very ridiculous in a live action film.

Then they are taking the Ultimate approach to Galactus, where he wasn't even so much a sentient entity as a hive mind of little planet-eating fuckers. That'll likely play a little better, but I did want to see the giant purple motherfucker.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 06:12:27 PM

Seen some reviews of the novelization.  I'm less optimistic about this movie now.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 04:51:20 AM

Yeah, she does look weird. The contacts especially.
She doesn't look quite so hot when's she in costume with her "flat" hairstyle (click for larger image):

though she doesn't look too bad when she's wearing normal clothes:

Here she looks much better with her hair up:

and she's especially hot when she's wearing glasses :-D:

And yes the blue contacts don't look good on her:

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 05:35:29 AM

I so would.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 08:26:55 AM

I don't think that hair color goes with her skin tone....

Llava
Contributor

Reply #25 on: May 02, 2007, 11:44:08 AM

I... uh... god damn. She must be a parking ticket, cause she has "Fine" written all over her.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 02, 2007, 12:08:52 PM

Those lips offer a lot of surface area.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #27 on: May 02, 2007, 12:15:19 PM

I don't know. That look just isn't very flattering. They would have been better off not trying to pass her off as a white girl -- and just saying she's a white girl. She kind of looks like Data now.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #28 on: May 02, 2007, 01:12:54 PM

The rest of the pictures she looks screwed up.  The one I quoted.... god damn.  But I'm a big fan of sexy girls wearing sexy glasses.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 02, 2007, 01:23:51 PM

Making you, errr, wait ... Male ?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 02:28:54 PM

I don't think that hair color goes with her skin tone....
Not at all.

The only two she looked decent in were the wedding dress with her hair up and playing geek.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 02:44:08 PM

Yeah, you're totally right, I'd kick her outta bed because of that. undecided

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 02:52:23 PM

I wouldn't kick her out of my bed so much as say "This isn't exactly the version of Jessica that I wanted in my bed, but she'll do anyways..."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 03, 2007, 01:46:36 AM

Do you know any women ?

That's a bed-emptying line right there.

"Hold on honey, I'm just trying to picture someone else."  Cue my first divorce.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #34 on: May 03, 2007, 03:19:09 AM

You certainly don't announce it.

But you imagine the glasses.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer trailer  
Jump to: