Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 06:18:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2138990 times)
kondratti
Terracotta Army

Reply #1750 on: July 13, 2009, 02:01:19 AM

Treating it with disdain wont stop it from happening.  The devs need to deal with it properly, otherwise it will be a major problem.

And just how, pray tell, do you expect them to 'deal with it'?

All they can do is provide an immersive, solid, fun gaming experience for all the classes.  Beyond that?  Not much.

For whatever reason, your post cracks me up.  SERIOUS BUSINESS I TELL YOU. SERIOUS!

Nah, not really... I have little interest in SWTOR anyway, way too much story for me.  Just that if people think that a whole of 12yos wont fuck up a PvP game by all flocking to the cool side... (which they will), they are mistaken.  The devs will either decide to do something or they wont.

Bioware can go on about how all the classes have a rich playing experience... blah blah..  But we all know that wont happen.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1751 on: July 13, 2009, 09:36:45 AM

I kinda consider myself a Star Wars nerd and I still play light side, mostly because it's a harder path. Sith is easy, be a dick and call it a fucking day.
Playing with power AND responsibility is a lot fucking harder.
I'm firmly in the middle and played both sides against one another.  Even the non-Rebel/Empire factions.  I can't count how many times Lan switched sides, when she bothered to get involved at all.

Even though I'll have to make an initial pick, I'm holding out hope I can still be kind of mercenary and play by my own rules in SWTOR.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1752 on: July 13, 2009, 09:53:41 AM

Darth Maul says hi.

5:1 sith/jedi ratio.
Darth "i'm in this movie for 10 minutes so a kid Jedi has something to cut in half" more like. Ohhhhh, I see.

the guy has the same drawback Malak has -- no matter how cool they try to make him, ultimately he's still just a basic henchman with acute case of Dumb Evil, that's there so the good guys have something to kick about.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:57:26 AM by tmp »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1753 on: July 13, 2009, 10:38:33 AM

I kinda consider myself a Star Wars nerd and I still play light side, mostly because it's a harder path. Sith is easy, be a dick and call it a fucking day.
Playing with power AND responsibility is a lot fucking harder.
I'm firmly in the middle and played both sides against one another.  Even the non-Rebel/Empire factions.  I can't count how many times Lan switched sides, when she bothered to get involved at all.

Even though I'll have to make an initial pick, I'm holding out hope I can still be kind of mercenary and play by my own rules in SWTOR.

And that's the kind of play I highly encourage. That's the way my ex played SWG as well. Morally ambiguous and a good foil to my
goodie-two-shoes smuggler/jedi. Sadly, players like you are in the minority.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1754 on: July 13, 2009, 12:00:36 PM

Darth Maul says hi.

5:1 sith/jedi ratio.
Darth "i'm in this movie for 10 minutes so a kid Jedi has something to cut in half" more like. Ohhhhh, I see.

the guy has the same drawback Malak has -- no matter how cool they try to make him, ultimately he's still just a basic henchman with acute case of Dumb Evil, that's there so the good guys have something to kick about.

And that affects the 5:1 sith/jedi ratio how?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1755 on: July 13, 2009, 12:28:30 PM

Even adding the Darth Maul race was  why so serious? And the "It's a trap!" race. Don't add things to the game that aren't epic or happened in the Prequels. It's hard to believe how much the Prequels fucked up the SW lore for me.

If they are going to go the pvp route  Ohhhhh, I see., there should be three factions, Planetside. Not to beat on that old horse again, but if they had the worldy aspect of SWG on top of the combat of PS, with the three sides being Empire, Rebel, Hutt (smugglers/bounty hunters), it would've rocked.
Sadly, players like you are in the minority.
The ultimate failing of mmo. The herd of achievers who just click through quest text and will endure all kinds of boring design to get the best gear/easiest levels. LCD who claim to aspire to greatness but actually aspire to the least.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1756 on: July 13, 2009, 12:30:26 PM

And that affects the 5:1 sith/jedi ratio how?
Are you sure over 80% of players want to play dumb cannon fodder?

edit: though as counter-point i'll concede the background story they're showing so far for the game goes a long way to present the Sith side as the ones who get the upper hand. That isn't likely to have much of positive effect on the faction balance.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:35:48 PM by tmp »
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1757 on: July 13, 2009, 01:03:36 PM

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #1758 on: July 13, 2009, 01:22:49 PM

I often prefer to play the evil characters, just because they have more personality and better looks.  But I guess Star Wars is very different, maybe because at a basic level I'm more familiar with the series.  Star Wars has a fundamental lack of good villains.  There's Vader, and that's about it.  If this was Cape Fear the MMO, hell yes I'd want to play a Max Cady clone.  But in Star Wars all the compelling characters are go-good team types.  Darth Maul and Boba Fett ooze about as much personality as acoustic ceiling tile.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1759 on: July 13, 2009, 01:29:54 PM

There's Vader, and that's about it.
This, and then even Vader got pretty much assassinated in the prequels...

went and looked at their timeline thing meanwhile. It appears they're painting the smugglers as more of a kick-ass grey middle ground characters than full-blown good guys -- even when the smugglers do something that could be considered heroic they do it simply because of the involved piles of money. I suppose it can have quite a bit of appeal for people tired of the basic good/evil that's Star Wars settings otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:35:28 PM by tmp »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1760 on: July 13, 2009, 03:44:54 PM

Even adding the Darth Maul race was  why so serious? And the "It's a trap!" race. Don't add things to the game that aren't epic or happened in the Prequels. It's hard to believe how much the Prequels fucked up the SW lore for me.

If they are going to go the pvp route  Ohhhhh, I see., there should be three factions, Planetside. Not to beat on that old horse again, but if they had the worldy aspect of SWG on top of the combat of PS, with the three sides being Empire, Rebel, Hutt (smugglers/bounty hunters), it would've rocked.
Sadly, players like you are in the minority.
The ultimate failing of mmo. The herd of achievers who just click through quest text and will endure all kinds of boring design to get the best gear/easiest levels. LCD who claim to aspire to greatness but actually aspire to the least.

Exactly. I need to design an MMO that attaches electrodes to the player's nuts. Whenever some min/maxer plays, it shocks the shit out of their yarbles. That would alleviate 85% of the problem.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1761 on: July 13, 2009, 03:50:10 PM

Exactly. I need to design an MMO that attaches electrodes to the player's nuts. Whenever some min/maxer plays, it shocks the shit out of their yarbles. That would alleviate 85% of the problem.

It would probably have the opposite outcome and increase player retention.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1762 on: July 13, 2009, 03:54:21 PM

Hence, the 85% figure. That other 15% would play endlessly.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1763 on: July 13, 2009, 07:46:01 PM

Hence, the 85% figure. That other 15% would play endlessly.

And boast on forums how many times their nuts had been shocked and how you just can't play hardcore, n00b.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1764 on: July 13, 2009, 08:05:04 PM

It would be terrible gameplay wise but fairly canon and interesting if as a Sith you could get benefits from betraying your fellow Sith players off and on. The way you move up the ladder as a Sith is killing the guy above you. Inter-faction PVP!

The number advantage wouldn't be so bad if a good portion of Sith players were killing off their betters for fabulous prizes at inopportune moments.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1765 on: July 13, 2009, 08:27:19 PM

The potential for griefing has reached over 9000  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1766 on: July 13, 2009, 09:37:05 PM

It would be terrible gameplay wise but fairly canon and interesting if as a Sith you could get benefits from betraying your fellow Sith players off and on. The way you move up the ladder as a Sith is killing the guy above you. Inter-faction PVP!

The number advantage wouldn't be so bad if a good portion of Sith players were killing off their betters for fabulous prizes at inopportune moments.

I would so play that, just to watch the sith self-destruct. The tears would be awesome.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1767 on: July 13, 2009, 09:38:33 PM

Would you polish your armor robe with their tears midichlorians?
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1768 on: July 13, 2009, 09:42:08 PM

That is a wonderful idea- allow the Republic people to PvP with the opposite faction only, but allow Sith to PvP with everyone.  That would keep Sith numbers down  awesome, for real

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1769 on: July 13, 2009, 09:43:00 PM

I'd wash my Obi-wanderoos with them.

And a small portion of tide with bleach.

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #1770 on: July 14, 2009, 03:39:20 AM

I remember this very concept being strongly agreed with for the EQ 'faction pvp' server where you had good evil and neutral factions.  I can't remember whether they actually implemented it or not (I seem to recall they did, but I could be imagining things) where good and neutral could only kill other factions, but evil could kill other factions AND each other.  In fact, I'm almost sure they did, I remember some comics about it when they implemented it.  No idea how that worked out.

As mentioned though, gameplay wise it probably wouldn't be a great idea.  Even story-wise it's hard to implement because players would constantly be pvping each other without solid good reasons.  And of course there's the whole 'you killed him but he's not dead' aspect that comes in with these games.  Imagine the Sith Academy on Korriban from KOTOR1, but with all the guys you murder/betray just coming back the next day none the worse.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1771 on: July 14, 2009, 09:25:34 AM

And boast on forums how many times their nuts had been shocked and how you just can't play hardcore, n00b.
awesome, for real
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1772 on: July 14, 2009, 11:49:19 AM

So a Sith raid wouldn't just break out in an argument over loot in TeamSpeak, but would also break out in a fight in the raid itself?

That'd be hot.  Add corpse looting for recently acquired items, and you have the greatest 'roll for the item' scheme ever.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #1773 on: July 14, 2009, 11:58:53 AM

So a Sith raid wouldn't just break out in an argument over loot in TeamSpeak, but would also break out in a fight in the raid itself?

That'd be hot.  Add corpse looting for recently acquired items, and you have the greatest 'roll for the item' scheme ever.

Galactic Loot Dog-Pile.  Yes, I definitely see a winner here. (no green).

I never really played EQ, so can anyone comment on Koyasha's post?  It has always struck me as one of those cool-on-paper sort of ideas, but I wasn't aware that anyone put it in to practice.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1774 on: July 14, 2009, 12:06:56 PM

If he's referring to the Sullon Zek server, then no, it was just each faction vs the other two.

As far as Sith being able to pvp each other, I think it'd be a cool idea, particularly if they tied advancement in the Sith ranks to killing the player(s) above you at some point.  It would make for a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, though.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #1775 on: July 14, 2009, 01:05:59 PM

Tallon and Vallon they had four teams (shorties, elves, humans, evils), but there were no true intended mechanics for in-faction fighting.  Whatever internecine conflict that arose on the server was through creative use of gameplay mechanics (exploits some would call them).  But you're right it was a response to the changing balance of the game.

In original the evil team had the best zones, best pvp classes, and a plurality of the playerbase.  So the other three teams fought together against them.  The first expansion curbstomped the evil team, but people didn't want to stop 3v1 and things got out of hand.  People started forming guilds of all teams (Pandemonium) which broke that down.  You couldn't directly attack someone on your own team, even if they're healing or buffing your enemy (immortal healing).
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #1776 on: July 14, 2009, 01:43:15 PM

This sith on sith violence sounds like one of the coolest ideas in recent MMO history, so it will never be implemented. 

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1777 on: July 14, 2009, 01:53:57 PM

He's like a bad penny. He always turns up.

Quick, name the movie!

Lethal Weapon 2? (or was it 3?)

/derail
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #1778 on: July 15, 2009, 09:12:45 AM

If he's referring to the Sullon Zek server, then no, it was just each faction vs the other two.
Yeah, took a bit to look into it, apparently this was under consideration at the time ( http://www.gucomics.com/comic/?cdate=20010712 being the comic I recall) but it was never implemented.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:21:05 AM by Koyasha »

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
schild
Administrator

Reply #1779 on: July 15, 2009, 02:10:34 PM

Homosexuals don't exist in the Star Wars Universe.

Interesting tack.  I can't think of any gay heroes in the Expanded Universe off the top of my head, but I'm surprised the CM just came out and said "no".

Sooooo...... EA doesn't know how to let something disappear. Good thing the internet never forgets. Or at least, I don't?

This Saturday, EA is hosting an event for the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), the nation's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) media advocacy organization.  GLAAD is facilitating a panel on Homophobia & Virtual Communities which will spotlight key issues and include the perspectives of both gaming companies and LGBT gamers.  Discussion will revolve around the state of the problem in these communities, policy solutions that have been developed to address homophobia – what’s working as well as what’s not, plus challenges and opportunities.

Confirmed panelists include:

Flynn DeMarco (Alias: Fruite Brute), Founder of GayGamer.net
Dan Hewitt, Senior Director of Communications & Industry Affairs for the Entertainment Software Association (ESA)
Caryl Shaw, Senior Producer in the Maxis Studio (Electronic Arts, Inc.)  
Cyn Skyberg, VP of Customer Relations at Linden Lab
Stephen Toulouse (Gamertag: stepto), Program Manager for Policy and Enforcement on Microsoft's XBox LIVE
Moderator: Justin Cole, Director of Digital & Online Media, GLAAD

Event details are as follows:
WHAT:    Homophobia in Virtual Communities - Highlighting the Problem and Working Towards Sustainable Solutions
WHEN:    Saturday, July 18th, 2009, 11am-1pm
WHERE:   Electronic Arts, 250 Shoreline Drive Redwood City, CA 94065

Oh, right, the most important part:
The event is free of charge and open to the public.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:12:12 PM by schild »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1780 on: July 15, 2009, 03:33:13 PM

Damn.  Wish I had more notice on that.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1781 on: July 17, 2009, 10:06:15 AM

Yeah, Bioware (Austin), THAT'S THE WAY!!!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

New addition to the community management team, Alyson Bridge:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=50788 (presentation post, third one)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3346456/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHuqYSmunzg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoe-PRnfjaM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1782 on: July 17, 2009, 11:16:30 AM

Chicks named Alyson always end up be at least somewhat hot.  I find that interesting.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1783 on: July 17, 2009, 01:04:34 PM

My eyes just rolled so hard I think I sprained an ocular nerve.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1784 on: July 17, 2009, 01:49:19 PM

Sachant and Ashen Temper vaping a non-existent game back in 2006:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/78431
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:51:48 PM by Soln »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: