Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:40:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724212 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #420 on: January 28, 2011, 06:20:29 AM

..out manoeuvring missiles spammed by some dick in a MAX suit....

Dicks fuck pussies & assholes.

This thread sucked up until now.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: January 28, 2011, 07:07:30 AM

epic battles in the woods

The most epic battles I remember from around launch were always over bridges. Around launch people would fight like fury for them despite them having no strategic value whatsoever.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #422 on: January 28, 2011, 07:19:46 AM

Bridges had a lot of strategic value.

Unless you were fighting fucking barneys.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: January 28, 2011, 07:26:33 AM

Bridges had a lot of strategic value.

Unless you were fighting fucking barneys.  Ohhhhh, I see.

QFT.

Also: Loyalty till death!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Demonix
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: January 28, 2011, 08:16:27 AM

epic battles in the woods

The most epic battles I remember from around launch were always over bridges. Around launch people would fight like fury for them despite them having no strategic value whatsoever.

That was an instance of mechanics affecting player behavior;  in beta, the full xp value for a kill was given to all members of a squad.  this lead to battles EVERYWHERE, but the bridge ones were the most fun and we ignored the bases because there was no value to fighting there.  When they went live, they changed how xp sharing worked in a squad so that the value of a kill was divided among all members and they gave base capture an xp value that was better than simply killing;  This lead to more rambo fighting and base fighting stalemates, which was much less fun.

BRING BACK BRIDGE BATTLES!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #425 on: January 28, 2011, 08:46:26 AM

BRING BACK BRIDGE BATTLES!

Or they could just make every battle be as enjoyable as a bridge battle.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: January 28, 2011, 08:49:47 AM

Bridge battles were epic because of the choke point, you could stall an army's ground forces at one bridge. (Barneys excluded)

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: January 28, 2011, 10:59:46 AM

Yeah a bigger problem was that base & tower battles just suck. 40 people spamming crap down corridors = not fun.

Base design needs to be way more open for maneuver, large rooms, more entry points for each one. The main battles should be taking place outside a base, not inside 4 foot wide tunnels & staricases.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #428 on: January 28, 2011, 11:02:00 AM

Dicks fuck pussies & assholes.

I'm a fan of this thread now.  Is PS2 any good?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #429 on: January 28, 2011, 11:47:46 AM

Yeah a bigger problem was that base & tower battles just suck. 40 people spamming crap down corridors = not fun.

Base design needs to be way more open for maneuver, large rooms, more entry points for each one. The main battles should be taking place outside a base, not inside 4 foot wide tunnels & staricases.

Well any hall/corridor is going to be a funnel point and a defender's best friend. I do agree...some of the best base battles were in the lobby areas - tech plants were good as well as dropship centers with many entry points and wide open rooms. Amp stations also come to mind, but you could plant a tank on the door and clear out a lot which was retarded. Backdoor areas were fine in giving the defenders a much easier time than attackers until the plasma whores got buffed - then it became stupid as well.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: January 28, 2011, 11:59:35 AM

Different people like different fighting environments. Not sure that equates to a game flaw. Most customization of your toon was to accent your style of play, this includes where you like to fight. Dont like hall and base fights? I'm sure there is an AMS around here somewhere.

I have always preferred Pc's cover and shoot base designs. I wont say they were perfect, some had more shitty spots than others, but thats the thing about games like this, you adapt.

I also love me some radiator.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:07:38 PM by Mrbloodworth »

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: January 28, 2011, 12:21:48 PM

The sheer variety of the kind of battles you could have in PlanetSide was one of the best things about it. I'm really stoked for this remake/sequel.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: January 28, 2011, 01:13:12 PM

Those vehicle images make me think this is more than just some hot air blowing around the SOE offices.

Goddamn them. I want PS2 now.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: January 28, 2011, 04:58:33 PM

Given that DCUO wasn't the hard drive melting disaster we all thought it was going to be given the short development time they may very well pull this off, at least if pulling it off means a halfway decent game. At least I'm more confident than I was at announcement time.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: January 28, 2011, 06:21:49 PM

more entry points bad (unless its more entry points on the same side). It makes it too easy for attackers to surround the defenders and win

Large rooms good. It gives everyone room to maneuver.

Ideally the capture point in a base should be at the end of a long wide corridor so that enemies must come in a certain way, but have cover and space for which to engage the fire fight.

Coincidentally kinda like a bridge.

Also fuck yall, i drove a hover tank.

Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: January 28, 2011, 06:26:13 PM

more entry points bad (unless its more entry points on the same side). It makes it too easy for attackers to surround the defenders and win

Ideally the capture point in a base should be at the end of a long wide corridor so that enemies must come in a certain way, but have cover and space for which to engage the fire fight.

Fuck you barney...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #436 on: January 28, 2011, 09:39:10 PM

Given that DCUO wasn't the hard drive melting disaster we all thought it was going to be given the short development time

DCUO took 5 years and cost over US$50m dollars. Right now a lot of issues that a longer beta would have shaken out - broken power / weapon combos, exploits, etc - are being seen by a large group of paying players. This is a big issue for DCUO since PvP appears to be its cornerstone.

For PS:Next, there is an existing template to work from. Depending on the changes - and I'm pretty sure this will be a PlanetSide relaunch rather than a true sequel - a shorter beta might work. Or might see PS:Next see the problems that DCUO is experiencing.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #437 on: January 28, 2011, 10:05:35 PM

Goofy grape beotch.

That said, bases are generally designed by and for defenders. Big, wide corridors are just not a good idea.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: January 29, 2011, 07:44:53 AM

What was that about factional loyalty?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: January 29, 2011, 08:05:36 AM

So I read that beta invites will be given to those still subbed to PS. Does that mean the beta is going to be outsourced to China?  why so serious?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: January 29, 2011, 08:19:26 AM

Not that I have been paying attention, but I thought they stopped the china version.

Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: January 29, 2011, 08:46:41 AM

It was more a jab at the swing PS took awhile back when chinese outfits were pervasive and, as read in my forums, hacking the game. I know when that group hit the server(s), many people quit out of disgust for SOE's neglect to do much of anything about it.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: January 29, 2011, 09:13:09 AM

Yeah, flying tanks. Not fun.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #443 on: January 30, 2011, 06:24:49 AM

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #444 on: January 30, 2011, 04:45:46 PM

My NC MAX was fine with guys holing up in a hallway...toss on the shield, maybe get a guy to rep from behind, and just unload with the scattershots.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: January 30, 2011, 05:09:55 PM

My NC MAX was fine with guys holing up in a hallway...toss on the shield, maybe get a guy to rep from behind, and just unload with the scattershots.

1st generation Pounder MAX.

/fin

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #446 on: January 30, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

What was that about factional loyalty?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Smurf 'til I fucking die. And then still a smurf.

Represent.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #447 on: January 31, 2011, 05:50:34 AM

1st generation Pounder MAX.

/fin

I'd pretty much go elsewhere when 2+ pounder MAXs decided they wanted to hold down a tower.

Magmowers weren't OP, they were fun! WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE FUN!!!?!!?!?

Vanu for Lyfe

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: January 31, 2011, 06:02:21 AM

The part that was OP, was the lack of checking if people were behind walls or not. Kinda sucks just to be able to drive by a tower and kill the first floor :/

I would not mind some "run over" damage in the new version. As long as inf get tank traps again.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #449 on: January 31, 2011, 06:47:46 AM

I loved Pounders.  TR  Heart

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: January 31, 2011, 07:47:15 AM

Funny thing about the Pounder MAXs... When I first started the game I always thought the grenade MAX was AV since it made more sense and more in-line with the other factions and the DC MAX was the AI since bullets, to me anyway, were for soft targets. Turned out I was correct months later...

Loyalty until Death! Strength in Unity! Order requires law. Law is enforced through deterrence. Deterrence is based on the fear of consequences, and fear is the most powerful motivating force. The separatist groups, the Vanu Sovereignty and the New Conglomerate, will be dismantled through the exercise of forceful deterrence. Dissidents will fear the consequences of their disloyalty. Unity and order will be restored.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #451 on: January 31, 2011, 08:24:43 AM

I think one of the most important lessons they can take away from PS1, especially with a short dev cycle for PS2, is to make the game with extensibility in mind. Ship a small, fun core and then develop your core fanbase, adding as budget allows. And the big lesson all mmo devs need to learn: keep your budgets small and your designs focused.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: January 31, 2011, 08:27:59 AM

And the big lesson all mmo devs need to learn: keep your budgets small and your designs focused.

I'd also add one little tidbit: Make your game fun from level 1 (if the game has levels).  Grinding to "get to the fun" is a disaster waiting to happen...

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: January 31, 2011, 09:42:40 AM

Vu is NC.  I like the 'Hippies'.  This will cause friction in our household. Sad Red Panda

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #454 on: January 31, 2011, 11:00:31 AM

Fraggle Power!!

Plus the guys from KAAOS (Hedron's outfit) were great to play with, miss the massive random battles.

I doubt they get it right, but then again if it doesn't suck and I can still drive some cool vehicles it will be fun.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: