Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:28:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724187 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3080 on: January 09, 2013, 08:40:32 AM

The invulnerability thing is not going to work.  If you reduce the xp value of freshly spawned people, why do you need this?

I like the idea of making a player's xp value tied to his kills, not his length of survival.  This makes support guys worth less xp and rewards the front line fighters.  And I say this as mostly a support monkey.

If anyone playing does not already know, if you link your character to Planetside Universe, you can see what classes you kill the most. For example, my kills on my NC toon are 45% HA and a little less than 30% engineer.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/character.php?stats=MrJoshua1&tab=Charts

I have never played WoW.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3081 on: January 09, 2013, 09:23:03 AM

The invulnerability thing is not going to work.  If you reduce the xp value of freshly spawned people, why do you need this?

I like the idea of making a player's xp value tied to his kills, not his length of survival.  This makes support guys worth less xp and rewards the front line fighters.  And I say this as mostly a support monkey.

If anyone playing does not already know, if you link your character to Planetside Universe, you can see what classes you kill the most. For example, my kills on my NC toon are 45% HA and a little less than 30% engineer.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/character.php?stats=MrJoshua1&tab=Charts

You need this to give a freshly spawned person on a lower-end machine the 2-3 seconds to orient themselves and not die when the sundy explodes the second they spawn. For medic revives, instead of popping accept rez button and hauling ass to cover, now you have a few seconds to load the screen and figure out where cover is to run for. I can see the kiddies just popping up and continuing to fight without regrouping so that might be an issue.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3082 on: January 09, 2013, 10:02:45 AM

Yeah, that's more about load times than anything. Even with a capable machine, one internet hiccup means you are dead before your screen even renders.  Its likely to be extremely short, and broken by any type of input.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3083 on: January 09, 2013, 11:39:15 AM

I guess I can understand the lag issues, but it seems like an excessive solution that could be better handled by - how shall I say it? - the common sense not to revive oneself in the middle of a firefight. This is something most of us learn pretty quickly in the game - if one cares about one's death count.

I have never played WoW.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3084 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:18 AM

I don't like the invuln for a revive either, too easy to abuse it seems. Once you get a revive popup, I think it will let you revive 10-15 seconds later. The two together would make it very easy to rarely need to spawn somewhere far from the fight.

And I really hate the "tell us how to make our game so you'll stay subbed" crap. Do you not have a vision for your game or what? FFS.

- Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3085 on: January 09, 2013, 12:28:32 PM

I guess I can understand the lag issues, but it seems like an excessive solution that could be better handled by - how shall I say it? - the common sense not to revive oneself in the middle of a firefight. This is something most of us learn pretty quickly in the game - if one cares about one's death count.

I am pretty sure this invulnerable thing is mainly spawning at an AMS - which you don't know is just about to explode when you hit the spawn button. I have spawned dead plenty of times at a Sundy that exploded. It is one of those issues that I bring up to invalidate the use of K/D ratios.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #3086 on: January 09, 2013, 12:31:39 PM

I could see it being exploitable if you can use that freshly revived and immune MAX in a choke point to block fire.  Repeat.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3087 on: January 09, 2013, 12:57:23 PM

No way it will be 15 seconds. more like, 1-2.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3088 on: January 09, 2013, 01:06:10 PM

If they are going to implement some kind of invulnerability, then make it specific to flak and friendly fire only.  Enemy bullets should always be dangerous.

I have never played WoW.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3089 on: January 09, 2013, 01:28:45 PM

So I'm attacking the enemy AMS, someone spawns in front of me and I empty a ton of ammo into them only to have them turn and kill me because they were invincible for the two seconds I was shooting at them.

Terrible, terrible, idea.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Terracotta Army

Reply #3090 on: January 09, 2013, 03:00:36 PM

So I'm attacking the enemy AMS, someone spawns in front of me and I empty a ton of ammo into them only to have them turn and kill me because they were invincible for the two seconds I was shooting at them.

Terrible, terrible, idea.

Concentrate on the AMS and not the spawns. I think that is the take away.

I am one of the big SOE critics especially of this game, but I think the chicken little panic people are having over this is a little over the top.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #3091 on: January 09, 2013, 03:57:01 PM

A couple of seconds of re-orientation time after spawning is pretty much vital to medics being remotely useful. It also stops vehicles just shelling the AMS spawn and getting insta-kills on people re-spawning. Which is too rewarding and one of the main complaints encouraging people to quit. Of course it's a bit artificial.

Most of the other changes seem sensible, but fairly moderate and iterative, will be interesting to see what they look like when they are actually in game.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3092 on: January 10, 2013, 07:00:46 AM

The invulnerability thing is not going to work.  If you reduce the xp value of freshly spawned people, why do you need this?

A 5 seconds invuln would be better. All I need is something that prevents respawning from a Sunderer ON an exploding granate. That's stupid, and even just a 3 seconds invulnerability would help. 15 seconds is insane and unfair.

EDIT: I also hope this won't apply in any way to freshly rezzed-by-medic players, that would make certain advancing hordes unstoppable.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:02:29 AM by Falconeer »

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3093 on: January 10, 2013, 07:46:25 AM

Invulnerability for any period over 1 second can be tactically exploited to great effect, even if it turns off if the invulnerable fires their weapon.  Just imagine a full squad of invulnerables charging a contested point.  The enemy fires on them to no effect, the enemy has to reload, the invulnerables shoot them in the face.  It is a fucking clownshoes response to a small problem.

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3094 on: January 10, 2013, 08:02:08 AM

Invulnerability for any period over 1 second can be tactically exploited to great effect, even if it turns off if the invulnerable fires their weapon.  Just imagine a full squad of invulnerables charging a contested point.  The enemy fires on them to no effect, the enemy has to reload, the invulnerables shoot them in the face.  It is a fucking clownshoes response to a small problem.

That won't happen, it breaks on user input, or timeout.

People are acting like this is new, or other games don't do it.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3095 on: January 10, 2013, 10:31:43 AM

If enough of your team is down that you can rez an unstoppable horde, then you already massively outnumber your opposition, or too many are dead to stop the medics from dying, too.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3096 on: January 10, 2013, 10:46:01 AM

Anyway, gameplay wise nothing is ever more frustrating than shooting and wasting bullets on an invulnerable target. Knowing Planetside 2 as well as I know it, I think this is a terrible idea even if it means silly me will keep respawning on top of exploding grenade a few more times.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3097 on: January 10, 2013, 11:32:40 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3098 on: January 10, 2013, 11:38:55 AM

you can rez an unstoppable horde

An immobile "horde" that looses its invulnerability upon any action is unstoppable?

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3099 on: January 10, 2013, 12:40:53 PM

If moving at all cancels invul, then I am satisfied.

I have never played WoW.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3100 on: January 10, 2013, 12:42:57 PM

<sigh>

Cancelled on movement or not, I agree with you people are way overreacting.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3101 on: January 10, 2013, 04:31:37 PM

The timing of the exploit's discovery could not have been worse, too, as its use grew widespread did right around winter break. That left the SOE out of the office to address it, and the game in a state many considered unplayable throughout much of the Double XP promo. Nevertheless, SOE has moved with welcome rapidity now that they're back in the office. We have our fix, and I'd imagine outfits of all sorts, from Devil Dogs (Connery) to TEST (Mattherson) and basically everything in between, are finding themselves short a handful of unscrupulous players.

Naming and shaming just because.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3102 on: January 10, 2013, 09:02:13 PM

We made some TR alts tonight and wow, everything they have is so much better than the NC other than their main battle tank.  I can not believe how far away and how fast I can kill people with the Carv.  The stock Carv is way better than my fully upgraded EM6, which I had to buy.  The mosquito is so much faster and more agile than the reaver.  I imagine the vanu stuff is even better than TR.  No drop, clearly the best tank and the scythe?  NC really does get the short end of the stick, I thought it was mostly forum whining.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3103 on: January 10, 2013, 09:43:16 PM

Yeah, Vanu shit really does out class everything.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Glad I decided to go team good guys rather than the NC (though this was before I relized all of F13 jumped on the NC train for some reason) but man the Vanu vehicles and equipment seems so much better....

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Terracotta Army

Reply #3104 on: January 11, 2013, 04:51:46 AM

We made some TR alts tonight and wow, everything they have is so much better than the NC other than their main battle tank.  I can not believe how far away and how fast I can kill people with the Carv.  The stock Carv is way better than my fully upgraded EM6, which I had to buy.  The mosquito is so much faster and more agile than the reaver.  I imagine the vanu stuff is even better than TR.  No drop, clearly the best tank and the scythe?  NC really does get the short end of the stick, I thought it was mostly forum whining.

Makes a change from TR being gimped in PS1 (admittedly mostly due to lack of numbers when everything they had was based on numbers)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3105 on: January 11, 2013, 05:21:25 AM

team good guys rather than the NC

What? NC are the good guys.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3106 on: January 11, 2013, 06:13:44 AM

team good guys rather than the NC

What? NC are the good guys.

Seriously, this. Fucking Vanu hippies.

That said, the NC are seriously fucking gimped.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3107 on: January 11, 2013, 07:16:13 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3108 on: January 11, 2013, 08:29:53 AM

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3109 on: January 11, 2013, 08:52:21 AM

Seriously, this. Fucking Vanu hippies.
Suck Lasher, Smurf.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #3110 on: January 11, 2013, 09:02:25 AM

You need a good group of guys to pull stuff off on NC. The outfit I'm in has been described as "going to the dentist" by people facing us.

Hit me up on NC Connery, we're recruiting. If you like 2-3 squad quick strike/save gameplay we could be for you.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3111 on: January 11, 2013, 09:15:25 AM

You in 666 or CCG?

I don't mind Vanu being better since they are still hopelessly outnumbered in this version but fuck TR.
Terracotta Army

Reply #3112 on: January 11, 2013, 09:42:25 AM

I don't mind totalbiscuit and think his reviews are pretty fair, but his recommendation for invulnerability only when spawning at a static spawn at a base or outpost makes no god damn sense at all. All static spawnpoints are behind shields and in effect a safe zone where you are invulnerable from the enemy. I can sort of agree with the rezzing players and fully understand what he is saying about the revive grenade scenario, but again... I think people are reading way too much into this, TB as well, that you are going to have people running about who are unkillable which I doubt will be the case. Outside of that, I liked the vid.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #3113 on: January 11, 2013, 10:39:58 AM

I still like this game but haven't logged in for like a week. My MWO addiction is too strong. How are outfits looking, number-wise (losing people already)? Sorry about getting you in the outfit, Pennilenko, and disappearing...haha

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3114 on: January 11, 2013, 10:50:48 AM

Re: VANU OP, NC Suck.

Ill just leave this here

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: