Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:58:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724210 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2975 on: December 25, 2012, 02:56:17 PM

Yeah, I know there are crashes, but I crash maybe, one every 7 hours of gameplay.

I do have to say, there are a number of spots to get stuck in, i just bug them, and move on. But they are annoying, and always seem to be right where I was about to preform the most epic thing in all of epicness. But we will never know now!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 03:02:26 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #2976 on: December 25, 2012, 05:46:01 PM

This game does have area crashes. I roll with about half a platoon to a full platoon, and we'll have instances where an entire area will all crash out.

No idea what causes it yet, but I've seen 20 friendlies and who knows how many enemies just disappear. It makes defenses and offensives interesting sometimes. Very 'welp' moments for sure.

Edit: We even had a pretty funny situation last week or the week before when the buster nest all crashed at once. We were all ra-ra'ing, kicking ass and shooting down planes, to absolutely zero air cover instantly.
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2977 on: December 25, 2012, 06:28:14 PM

I had about half a side of shit directed at Brellium, and then my browser crashed: DAMN YOU SOE for making a fun game i've spent more cash on than any other game the past few years.
You are full of shit and blah blah blah. This is a tip brell , your PC sucks ass. Mine is old and run this game phantastically. Get rid of that stone-age 4-core and enjoy the fun, it's worth it, trust me
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #2978 on: December 25, 2012, 08:10:38 PM

I had about half a side of shit directed at Brellium, and then my browser crashed: DAMN YOU SOE for making a fun game i've spent more cash on than any other game the past few years.
You are full of shit and blah blah blah. This is a tip brell , your PC sucks ass. Mine is old and run this game phantastically. Get rid of that stone-age 4-core and enjoy the fun, it's worth it, trust me
No I figured out what the Issue is, if you end up with nvidia's physx installed on your machine and your video card doesn't support it (it somehow installed with XCOM) the game will call on it and then crash. Which explains why half my squad was crashing at the same time.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2979 on: December 25, 2012, 09:27:55 PM

Air is the counter to air, allways has been. Its a combined arms game, not battleefiled where you down a jet with hand gun.

Air is the counter to *everything* which is why it is not a combined arms game. Air superiority also means you can run vehicle columns which means infantry is pointless.

That said the other half of the problem is the infantry role being reduced due to bases being so open to domination by vehicles. Barring the biolabs and crown which are probably up for nerfing.

I haven't had that many crash problems. But I do find the game has client side lag at the worst times (like the first time you see the enemy).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 11:51:27 PM by Kageru »

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #2980 on: December 25, 2012, 10:23:57 PM

My ancient (damn I didn't think it was...but I've been lazy) of only a duo core (the 3.00 intel) 8 GB of RAM, GTX 260, and windows 7 professional 64bit, has been rock solid.  I've only had one crash to desk top when an area crash happened.  I did have 1 episode of spawning a tank and falling threw the world.  But so far so good, and I don't usually have a problem seeing the people shooting at me.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2981 on: December 25, 2012, 11:01:58 PM

My Retina MacBook Pro has only had a couple of crashes and they've all been since the last patch.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2982 on: December 26, 2012, 01:27:17 AM

Doubtful if the developers enjoying their holiday care much about crashes right now, but there is a rumor that area crashes can be deliberately caused by TK'ing a full Sunderer, and at least one group taking advantage of this. Maybe something to do with the GUI listing so many kill notices at once. I don't mind getting curbstomped by a column of tanks, since my side has the option of getting their own column of tanks. However I am bothered by splash damage killing you from behind a wall. Repeatedly.

Also, I really hate how Planetside 2 has made spawn camping a part of fights. The one way shield at spawn rooms and teleporter rooms make half the biolabs a joke.  A stairwell would have been a better solution than this C4-on-the-porch bullshit. Outside of that you're either fighting on the helipad or trying to dodge Liberator and rocketpod spam to get onto the helipad. And even then it's Burster MAXing an endless wave of fighters and Liberators, which is fun until Carpal Tunnel starts settling in.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2983 on: December 26, 2012, 03:58:53 AM

I think what really aggravates is that it is very close to be being epic. The framework for large combined arms battles are there. PS1 gave them a framework to start with and a certain degree of interest. But the game design is too timid to really try anything that makes it more than a big shoot-em-up. They clearly want the Modern Warfare audience, and the money they represent so much. But I don't think they have the style, flash and advertising budget to compete in that arena. And in the process they've given up on many of the things that could have made it truly unique and interesting.

Of course this is from the perspective of someone who was hoping for a strategic shooter or even PS1 perfected.

- Simond
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2984 on: December 26, 2012, 07:13:04 AM

I respect most of the people here and value your opinions. I just don't have the same play experience as many of you. I have many more completely insane fun experiences compared to bad experiences, by an exponentially large ratio. I can't see how so many have such poor experiences. It would help me understand if I could figure out what some of you want from the game. For me, when I log in, I just want to get in some fights, take some bases and earn some certs. All of that happens pretty regularly. I am not a super star either, I have more deaths than kills, but I unlock certs fast enough to be happy and enough people die at my hands for me to feel like I get my moneys worth. Money being zero spent. I don't get endlessly farmed by vehicles, air or otherwise. When ever I feel like being in a grinder fight, I go to the crown or a bio-lab.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2985 on: December 26, 2012, 07:55:33 AM

It would help me understand if I could figure out what some of you want from the game. For me, when I log in, I just want to get in some fights, take some bases and earn some certs. 

I would like a game which has a legitimate longer term strategic layer.  I want to fight a war, not battles.  One of the thing that I love about, for example, World War 2 Online is that I felt a "part" of that war even when I wasn't logged in.  I could log into my squad forums and talk strategy for the upcoming weekend, I could follow the progress of the war at www.lagus.org/webmap, etc.  Despite its scale, Planetside 2 really is session-based, in that nothing beyond the current session matters. 
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2986 on: December 26, 2012, 08:19:52 AM

My experience is 100% like Pennilenko's.

Sure, I would LOVE more strategy and persistence, that would change this game from "lots of fun" to "fantastic", but in this case the lack of features ia not impacting my fun one bit, one month after launch. Sure, it will impact longevity pretty soon, but as of now I am still having a blast. It probably helps that I am having little to no technical issues. Maybe I wouldn't be so well disposed if I had to spend too much time fighting against bugs.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2987 on: December 26, 2012, 08:51:22 AM

Sure, I would LOVE more strategy and persistence, that would change this game from "lots of fun" to "fantastic", but in this case the lack of features ia not impacting my fun one bit, one month after launch. Sure, it will impact longevity pretty soon, but as of now I am still having a blast. It probably helps that I am having little to no technical issues. Maybe I wouldn't be so well disposed if I had to spend too much time fighting against bugs.

The thing is, I have like 20 games installed that are "lots of fun" so if the thing that might set the game apart and make it unique (the strategic layer) is missing, then I have no particular reason to fire it up over something else.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2988 on: December 26, 2012, 09:11:35 AM

I think that's where I stand. Is it fun now? Sure. Will it still be fun a month from now? With no stickiness to make me want to keep playing, I'm not sure. Repetition gets old.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #2989 on: December 26, 2012, 09:31:57 AM

A good outfit kept me in PS1 a lot longer than I should have. I think it will be similar here...Very cool to be part of a 30 man MAX rush or 140 man combined arms raid.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2990 on: December 26, 2012, 09:36:17 AM

I respect most of the people here and value your opinions. I just don't have the same play experience as many of you. I have many more completely insane fun experiences compared to bad experiences, by an exponentially large ratio. I can't see how so many have such poor experiences. It would help me understand if I could figure out what some of you want from the game. For me, when I log in, I just want to get in some fights, take some bases and earn some certs. All of that happens pretty regularly. I am not a super star either, I have more deaths than kills, but I unlock certs fast enough to be happy and enough people die at my hands for me to feel like I get my moneys worth. Money being zero spent. I don't get endlessly farmed by vehicles, air or otherwise. When ever I feel like being in a grinder fight, I go to the crown or a bio-lab.

Agreed, I'm a massive scrub with a .5 K:D ratio but find the game great fun.  Always have something fun going on when I log in and outside of the 2x XP times my outfit is always up for securing larger strategic goals like preventing the hated TR locking a continent or sniping a Biolab.  I think a lot of your enjoyment comes from being in an outfit that regularly does stuff and being on a balanced server.  I'm with the Goons on Mattherson which probably helps, great big outfit on a very active server.

Big armor pushes, epic infantry battles and even defending a completely cut off Biolab for hours is just much more engaging than grinding out a level in GW2.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2991 on: December 26, 2012, 10:04:45 AM

A good outfit kept me in PS1 a lot longer than I should have. I think it will be similar here...Very cool to be part of a 30 man MAX rush or 140 man combined arms raid.

You're VS, no one cares.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #2992 on: December 26, 2012, 10:41:09 AM

F U Elmo (tried messaging you the other day to come fight, BTW : )

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2993 on: December 26, 2012, 12:18:47 PM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2994 on: December 26, 2012, 12:26:26 PM

Fascist.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2995 on: December 26, 2012, 12:36:23 PM

awesome, for real

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2996 on: December 26, 2012, 01:07:38 PM

Also if you are not on Mattherson you are probably on the wrong server.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #2997 on: December 26, 2012, 01:42:14 PM

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2998 on: December 26, 2012, 05:16:13 PM

For me, when I log in, I just want to get in some fights, take some bases and earn some certs. All of that happens pretty regularly.

Taking bases with an organized group? Since the bases are designed to be more fun to attack than defend, and the air horde favors shooting the "Randoms" at wherever the PUG hotspot is (ie. crown), I'm sure the experience is quite different. Especially if you like vehicles.

I did try that though and didn't think it was much more fun. Taking a base in PS2 has no weight, it's just a flag with an XP reward when it changes color. And as a "battlefield" the PS2 maps have no character. Though I guess it also allows for battles where you have numbers, initiative and organization and you are fighting people who have none of those which can be somewhat fun.

I'll look at the game when the strategic layer and the base fights have a meaningful flow of battle, when the resource layer means you care about territory under threat and when vehicle spam is either limited or constrained from dominating so much of the fight. But there's not even any indication they intend to move in that direction so far.

- Simond
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2999 on: December 26, 2012, 05:27:03 PM

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3000 on: December 26, 2012, 06:26:36 PM

Now that I have finally been able to give this game some hours, I have to conclude that it is more similar to PS1 than different.  I am still good at the same kinds of things and bad at the same kinds of things.  I actually find lightnings - one of my PS1 strengths - to be even more fun and easier use.  

I have played engineer guy, MAX AA and AI and Lightning.  I even tried HA and was mildly successful holding a cap point with some randoms.  I even got a kill streak notice once (4 kills without dying?) which NEVER happens to me.  Snipers are still annoying.  I still have trouble in head to head gunfights.  The trick for me is to find a good place where I can catch the enemy unawares.

As to the comments that one can buy power, there is some truth.  I spent my Alpha SC on double AA Max and double AI Max.  I bought the jackhammer and it has worked for me.  That said, I bought some other infantry guns that didn't do anything noticeably better than what I was given at the start.  I would spend $20 to get mines for my engy right now if I could.

The game is grindy, but not intolerable.  I made BR8 in about 5 hours of total play even though I am quite rusty. I am not a kill whore but my K/D is just under .4 which is good for me.

Sticking with it.  
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:28:17 PM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
Terracotta Army

Reply #3001 on: December 26, 2012, 07:35:27 PM

Shotguns + LA = Heart

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3002 on: December 26, 2012, 08:29:02 PM

awesome, for real
They do need people too awesome, for real Funny how in both games Vanu is under-represented.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3003 on: December 26, 2012, 08:31:08 PM

Snipers are still annoying.
Snipers are even more annoying in 2 cause of one shot kills with a head shot. That wasn't possible in 1.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3004 on: December 27, 2012, 12:12:09 AM

Playing in an organized platoon is a horrible way to get XP Ohhhhh, I see.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3005 on: December 27, 2012, 12:42:12 AM

Snipers are still annoying.
Snipers are even more annoying in 2 cause of one shot kills with a head shot. That wasn't possible in 1.

Snipers are only annoying if they're good or extremely lucky.

Terracotta Army

Reply #3006 on: December 27, 2012, 06:54:54 AM

This is actually an important point. Organized stuff to take objectives and secure territory (you know, the "theme" of the game) has horrible returns. SOE needs to refocus on that part because right now it is more XP rewarding to Lone Wolf it in a fly-fly or camp some biolab farm.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3007 on: December 27, 2012, 08:12:53 AM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If anyone would like to join us on Mattherson, TR, we have weekly game nights two times a week. ( Wed / Fri )

And in game.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 08:16:05 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #3008 on: December 27, 2012, 08:42:43 AM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If anyone would like to join us on Mattherson, TR, we have weekly game nights two times a week. ( Wed / Fri )

And in game.

Damn, our big nights are Thursday and Sunday.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3009 on: December 27, 2012, 10:30:46 AM

Those are just the nights set up to Plan around, not the only nights people play.

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: