Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:55:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724820 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2940 on: December 21, 2012, 10:23:09 PM

They dream of getting a fraction of the console shooter population and minting money hats. They don't want to make PS evolved. Which frankly is a shame.

I almost look forward to them coming out with EQ3 and trying to appeal to the console action RPG crowd so they can gut that franchise too.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2941 on: December 22, 2012, 02:48:18 PM

Wait, do they actually think they're going to get FPS traction here? Maybe if they mean CoD on Wii U level of traction, I could see that. But if they're really targeting even BF levels on an X360, that's some kind of crazy kool-aid they're drinking. I would have thought that'd have been beaten out of them 3 or 4 years ago.

By comparison, EQ3 on a console (like, designed for one, not just gimped to make it work on one), that could have a chance. As long as Bethesda, Blizzard, EA or Ubisoft don't come out with one within the same six month window  awesome, for real
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2942 on: December 22, 2012, 03:46:09 PM

It's the only thing that explains most of the design choices. Dominance of vehicles that only need a single player, fast TTK, instant action drops, bases designed to discourage any sort of lengthy siege or restrict your movement. They dream of epic shoot outs in and between the huge bases they've created but there's no game-play reason for that to actually happen, and they've got no sense of style at all. Plus whenever things get interesting the client lag spikes.

I don't think enough people remember EQ for it to have any pull in the market, let alone requiring them to remember it fondly.

- Simond
ZenScrotum
Terracotta Army

Reply #2943 on: December 22, 2012, 04:46:55 PM

It's the only thing that explains most of the design choices. Dominance of vehicles that only need a single player, fast TTK, instant action drops, bases designed to discourage any sort of lengthy siege or restrict your movement. They dream of epic shoot outs in and between the huge bases they've created but there's no game-play reason for that to actually happen, and they've got no sense of style at all. Plus whenever things get interesting the client lag spikes.

I don't think enough people remember EQ for it to have any pull in the market, let alone requiring them to remember it fondly.

Bot sure what Planetside 2 "you're" playing but I'm part of epic shootouts like you describe every day.....
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2944 on: December 22, 2012, 05:00:47 PM

Defending the crown came close, even if it was repetitive... other than that it was just random vehicles farming the mid-field and organized groups over-running bases.

At the moment, with the new station cash, the sky is full of amazingly bad novice pilots drunkenly weaving around and rocket-podding anything that moves. Though the guy thinking he could fire from just above the launch pad and get kills in the adjoining base seemed somewhat optimistic. But heck, dumb fire HE shots into infantry and you probably will get pay off.

But really I expected a large scale shooter with some sort of strategic goal or flow making up for the poorly structured, laggy and imbalanced battles and the game doesn't have it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 05:08:07 PM by Kageru »

- Simond
ZenScrotum
Terracotta Army

Reply #2945 on: December 22, 2012, 05:06:20 PM

Oh, I knew 10 minutes into beta that flying wasn't ever gonna be my thing in PS2. I mostly drive Sundies, and hunt them. yes, The Crown has some of the best battles. Tawrich Tech plant, TI Alloys although that kind of lumps in with the Crown. I manage to find good battles almost daily.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2946 on: December 22, 2012, 05:13:27 PM

Shame they nerfed the crown and gutted tech plants. The tech choke points were poorly designed but at least it meant a battle built up.

Maybe in 6-12 months they'll have refined, polished and got the strategic layer working. But gamers are so fickle these days I expect them to be facing population issues long before then.

- Simond
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2947 on: December 22, 2012, 05:15:14 PM

I agree with you Kageru.

They have the core fighting mechanisms mostly figured out (tweaking still, but capabilities are fairly well know). If they don't start putting in *reasons* to fight, besides cert grinding, they will start losing pop in 3.. 2.. 1... OK, I give them a month before a downward trend.

- Viin
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2948 on: December 22, 2012, 06:05:39 PM

Wait, we're supposed to do something in between the bases? I thought that was just the loading screen between bases. It's too easy to just spawn in whatever base is nearest to the one being overrun (by your side or theirs).

I am never short on epic battles though. I always jump to whatever is the most or second most active area. I generally play vehicle healer or Sundy defender, as Engineer or Heavy, though most of my certs are from sitting in a turret...

Hehe, which is why I couldn't figure out the business rationale to a sequel to this game  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2949 on: December 22, 2012, 06:24:18 PM

I agree with you Kageru.

They have the core fighting mechanisms mostly figured out (tweaking still, but capabilities are fairly well know). If they don't start putting in *reasons* to fight, besides cert grinding, they will start losing pop in 3.. 2.. 1... OK, I give them a month before a downward trend.

Hell, I was among the most excited about this game and I already don't log in.  I even paid 15 bucks for a month of premium on launch and haven't been asses to log in during the last week.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2950 on: December 22, 2012, 06:56:29 PM

At the moment, with the new station cash, the sky is full of amazingly bad novice pilots drunkenly weaving around and rocket-podding anything that moves. Though the guy thinking he could fire from just above the launch pad and get kills in the adjoining base seemed somewhat optimistic. But heck, dumb fire HE shots into infantry and you probably will get pay off.
And that for me is where the game ended.

This is the first f2p MMO I've played where cash directly equates to power. Every other one I've played have gotten there obliquely, mostly with temporary buffs. Getting better at something in PS2 is more than trumped by guessing wrong about which weapon to bring to a fight. That by itself is manageable, because you just need to be adaptable, don't go too deep on one thing right way, so on. But when you layer in cash purchases of weapons, now it's the true financial arms race people doomcasted back in the days when MTX was called RMT.

That's fine too if people want it. Please of people pay for M:TG cards too smiley But it's not for me. If I have to suffer post-purchase MTX cash shops, I much prefer it be the cosmetics-only type. In part so I can mock admire those more narcissistic dedicated than I in the game  awesome, for real

I don't condemn PS2 nor SOE for doing what they think needs doing. After all, I got 30 hours of a free game, which is never bad. But, well, good luck with it.
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2951 on: December 23, 2012, 07:42:34 AM

And that for me is where the game ended.

This is the first f2p MMO I've played where cash directly equates to power. Every other one I've played have gotten there obliquely, mostly with temporary buffs. Getting better at something in PS2 is more than trumped by guessing wrong about which weapon to bring to a fight. That by itself is manageable, because you just need to be adaptable, don't go too deep on one thing right way, so on. But when you layer in cash purchases of weapons, now it's the true financial arms race people doomcasted back in the days when MTX was called RMT.

That's fine too if people want it. Please of people pay for M:TG cards too smiley But it's not for me. If I have to suffer post-purchase MTX cash shops, I much prefer it be the cosmetics-only type. In part so I can mock admire those more narcissistic dedicated than I in the game  awesome, for real

I don't condemn PS2 nor SOE for doing what they think needs doing. After all, I got 30 hours of a free game, which is never bad. But, well, good luck with it.

You are wrong.The Rocket Pods is the only pay-to-win weapon in the game. But you can still wreck shit with the standard gun. For every other slot on any soldier or vehicle the basic gun is good enough, or even best in class.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2952 on: December 23, 2012, 09:28:19 AM

I'm more bothered by the aforementioned problem of not having access to the things you bought on different servers than any pee-two-wee. I would like to try and play with three gaming groups who happen to all be on different servers, each playing the three different factions. I feel really gimped.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #2953 on: December 24, 2012, 01:45:30 PM

Well this game is a piece of shit, runs poorly, crashes, fails to render enemies and is horribly unbalanced.

I've had it crash at log in, crash 20 seconds in the game, and then the crash with half the squad I'm in.  Then to top it off I had the launcher crashing continuously forcing a re-install. 

Now the station cash has shown how unbalanced air is, I was manning a flak turret and a fighter lined up directly on the turret and spammed it to death while I was shooting it at point blank range.

Don't play unless you enjoy getting famed by air.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2954 on: December 24, 2012, 02:00:58 PM

Unless that fighter was up-armored to the max, it shouldn't have been able to survive a direct confrontation like that.

The hackers are out though. I got repeatedly headshot at long range by a guy with a 24-character name and a SAW with nothing but iron sights.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2955 on: December 24, 2012, 02:20:25 PM

I've been playing Natural Selection 2 more lately.  That game has more strategy on its session based shooter sized maps that this thing does in three continents worth of facilities.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #2956 on: December 24, 2012, 03:02:31 PM

I've been playing Natural Selection 2 more lately.  That game has more strategy on its session based shooter sized maps that this thing does in three continents worth of facilities.
I uninstalled it, signed up for a metacritic account and flagged it with a zero.

And yes, even up-armored up the wazoo it shouldn't have been able to do that at 20 yards.  They deserve the zero I gave them on metacritic for listening to the beta bitching about AA and air not being able to pwn with impunity.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #2957 on: December 24, 2012, 09:46:25 PM

The Air stuff is just too fucking powerful, and the AA stuff is next to useless. Even burning real money on AA options for infantry, MAX, and Lightning were ineffective. It takes so many hits from any of the AA weapons that the air stuff almost never dies and all you've done is alert them that there's some XP available for them. The problem for them is that WoP does air combat sooooooo much better there's no reason to play Planetside.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:48:06 PM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #2958 on: December 24, 2012, 09:57:25 PM

You guys must be playing on some super advanced servers for elite gamers only, where air actually matters and is at all relevant.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2959 on: December 24, 2012, 10:01:32 PM

When the entire opposing force is air and you've got an unorganized rabble defending, yes, air is overpowered. The other night, I had a squad of five MAXes all with AA gear. We ate up the TR air assault.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #2960 on: December 24, 2012, 10:13:03 PM

When the entire opposing force is air and you've got an unorganized rabble defending, yes, air is overpowered. The other night, I had a squad of five MAXes all with AA gear. We ate up the TR air assault.

Well yea, but they can't exactly flip points, can they?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2961 on: December 24, 2012, 10:22:04 PM

My only complain about air and anti air is how useless the anti air rocket launcher is. Seems more bugged than just weak. New buffed maxes are definitely effective if used properly, in squads. Also, real anti air is more air, and yes, as someone else said, airplanes don't flip points. It's super frustrating when air superiority devastate your ground troops over and over, but that's when mindless rushing out of the spawn point with your favourite generic setup doesn't work anymore. You have two choices at that point: 1) Join a good squad and form an AA division right away - or 2) Re-deploy to a different less invaded area, with less airplanes and more ground fighting. Gladly the game gives plenty ways to do that and get the hell out of frustrating lost battles.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2962 on: December 24, 2012, 10:34:05 PM

Well yea, but they can't exactly flip points, can they?

They don't need to. They just farm you until your force gives up and logs out of frustration then they roll in and take what they want.

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #2963 on: December 24, 2012, 11:53:49 PM

The Air stuff is just too fucking powerful, and the AA stuff is next to useless. Even burning real money on AA options for infantry, MAX, and Lightning were ineffective. It takes so many hits from any of the AA weapons that the air stuff almost never dies and all you've done is alert them that there's some XP available for them. The problem for them is that WoP does air combat sooooooo much better there's no reason to play Planetside.
It is, and it's persistent, I mean in KAAOS we would run 2 squads of reavers eventually we would all get shot down, but there's always that much air up in the skies it's just either friendly or unfriendly.

—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2964 on: December 25, 2012, 12:45:40 AM

You guys must be playing on some super advanced servers for elite gamers only, where air actually matters and is at all relevant.

I can't even imagine a planetside not dominated by air at this point.

If the bases gave reasonable protection from air (other than maybe bio-dome) and the strategic level demanded you take and hold them it might work. But the bases are vehicle friendly and the resource constraints pretty minimal. Also air superiority magnifies your ability to keep armor alive, and it's even better at base clearing.

- Simond
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #2965 on: December 25, 2012, 07:11:02 AM

I can't even imagine a planetside not dominated by air at this point.

If the bases gave reasonable protection from air (other than maybe bio-dome) and the strategic level demanded you take and hold them it might work. But the bases are vehicle friendly and the resource constraints pretty minimal. Also air superiority magnifies your ability to keep armor alive, and it's even better at base clearing.
I'm debating if it's worthwhile to download the game for a third time just to delete my br 26 and 15 characters to ensure I don't bother ever coming back.

It's as if the devs lifted every single shitty design decision from BF2/3 and implemented them in this game, plus with the unstable client, getting stuck on terrain constantly as a vehicle, falling through the world, and even a suicide by walking into a terrain feature.

I mean the game has overwhelming air which lacks any reasonable counter other than everyone on the current battlefield loading up as AA, they implemented one shot sniper weapons for a class that cloaks and engages from just inside the render range making it possible they never render at all, and they enable hitbox detection which just encourages aimbots in a FTP game requiring an auto ban if your K/D and HS% are too high.

To top it off I haven't seen an MMO this crash prone since Shadowbane.

<brell> Kbot be shadowbane
<kbot> kboterror.exe
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 07:15:12 AM by brellium »

—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2966 on: December 25, 2012, 07:29:44 AM

You are very bitter about this. Game is not as bad as you say, especially in the

with the unstable client, getting stuck on terrain constantly as a vehicle, falling through the world, and even a suicide by walking into a terrain feature.

department.

Either you are very unlucky, or stuck on noticing only the negatives.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2967 on: December 25, 2012, 08:34:02 AM

I suicided by deploying a turret yesterday awesome, for real
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #2968 on: December 25, 2012, 08:36:04 AM

You are very bitter about this. Game is not as bad as you say, especially in the

with the unstable client, getting stuck on terrain constantly as a vehicle, falling through the world, and even a suicide by walking into a terrain feature.

department.

Falconeer, this is the first MMO where I got to witness the auto-updater/launcher continuously fail to initialize, I've never seen an XHTML autolauncher get corrupted, I doubt I've ever seen an autolauncher all together fail to launch, requiring a re-install. I'm supposed to have faith in a bunch of devs who can't even code HTML in manner that keeps it from being corrupted?

—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2969 on: December 25, 2012, 09:27:06 AM

The last 2 times I played, I got deaded repeatedly by hackers. Which killed my desire to bother. I had some fun in the game, if you get even a small ineffective group it's fun, but not with the level of hackers infesting it.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2970 on: December 25, 2012, 10:27:42 AM

department.

I kinda agree with Falc. It's a bit of a shitshow, but it's not THAT bad. And the installer dying sounds like you may be running into storage issues. It's really unforgiving if you're low on hard drive space.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2971 on: December 25, 2012, 10:51:37 AM

Air is the counter to air, allways has been. Its a combined arms game, not battleefiled where you down a jet with hand gun.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #2972 on: December 25, 2012, 11:59:45 AM

If you guys think this game is crash prone you should check out Darkfall 2.0.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #2973 on: December 25, 2012, 12:01:32 PM

department.

I kinda agree with Falc. It's a bit of a shitshow, but it's not THAT bad. And the installer dying sounds like you may be running into storage issues. It's really unforgiving if you're low on hard drive space.
I have 8 gigs of RAM and half a TB on this HD empty with default windows settings for virtual memory which is 8-12 gigs.

—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2974 on: December 25, 2012, 12:09:16 PM

I literally have not crashed once or had any other technical issues of any kind. I'm not saying that there aren't bugs. I do, however, think that there is strong evidence that you are PC inept or at the very least have a dodgy set up.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: