Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:31:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724818 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2660 on: December 04, 2012, 10:42:14 AM

So, apparently, right after they banned that guy. Smed went into his live stream....

The dude, On air, created multiple accounts, none of them worked, not changing the IP, nothing. +1 to SOE?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:44:08 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2661 on: December 04, 2012, 10:45:34 AM

Smed, what a baby. More than anything, while I'll be more than happy if they could win this battle, I'm afraid good ole Smedley is just looking for trouble here.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2662 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:08 AM

Hilarious.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #2663 on: December 04, 2012, 12:28:31 PM

Smed, what a baby. More than anything, while I'll be more than happy if they could win this battle, I'm afraid good ole Smedley is just looking for trouble here.

He is making the correct business decision to publicize the banning and pursuit of guys who will hack the game.  Whether it is effective or not...

I have never played WoW.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2664 on: December 04, 2012, 01:02:05 PM

Sure publicizing it is fine but gloating about it is only going to get the game in trouble like with a DDoS attack or even worse hacks.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2665 on: December 04, 2012, 02:04:32 PM

I'm glad they are openly declaring war on hackers. 

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2666 on: December 04, 2012, 02:20:26 PM

Me thinks they are Hardware locking.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2667 on: December 04, 2012, 02:28:54 PM

Even better. Fuck those guys. I still think Smed's a goatfucker, but seriously, hackers in a f2p game are just sad.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2668 on: December 04, 2012, 03:22:34 PM

Don't get me wrong. I am superhappy that they are fighting hacking hard. As Trippy said, I just think that the gloating is gonna bite him (and us) in the ass. It's potentially going to be taken as a challenge by every hacker out there.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2669 on: December 04, 2012, 04:16:42 PM

Me thinks they are Hardware locking.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.  The old Sony rootkit to report home trick doesn't work anymore, does it?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2670 on: December 04, 2012, 04:23:01 PM

It's easy enough to grab the MAC address and pass that along during a connection attempt.

He would need to switch computers and IPs (and probably should do a fresh install) to be able to create a new account.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2671 on: December 04, 2012, 06:20:14 PM

Wonder if a VM image could get around that and still be sufficient enough to run well.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2672 on: December 04, 2012, 06:20:47 PM

You'd need some serious hardware to pull it off, but maybe.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2673 on: December 04, 2012, 06:23:57 PM

I'm increasingly disgusted with the fact that there is effectively no strategy in this game and that the bigger zerg wins every battle.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2674 on: December 04, 2012, 06:52:58 PM

I expect that to change once certain outfits get more organized.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2675 on: December 04, 2012, 07:23:19 PM

I expect that to change once people realize there's no downside to fighting with numbers at your back. I don't know it will be so much faction hoppers as people on the losing faction seeing falling activity.

Especially for the aussie server where you are locked into one faction. Soon as they implement multiple faction characters on one server I think a lot of people will go and see what it is like on the other side.

Spent an hour fighting over freyr station on esamir. 2:1 outnumbered (and several hackers :/) and no chance of actually holding ground, just something to provoke a fight. But you come out of it wondering why you bothered... other than the certs, and the group with the numbers advantage does a lot more killing and less dying.

And the bases (other than tech)... urgh. Easy to capture (when you have numbers) external vehicle spawns, front gates being infantry permissive, base is stupidly large, hostiles can happily traverse using the jump pad highway, generators in poky little sheds far from the core, anti air on the porous outer wall where tanks can pop it. And the whole place is so obviously copy paste architecture. If they just want death matches then just make maps for that.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:27:42 PM by Kageru »

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2676 on: December 04, 2012, 10:00:53 PM

There are plenty of ways of getting around a MAC lock as well, and you don't even need to use VMs. Really, yelling "COME AT ME BRO" at hackers for a system that is basically indefensible (because you need to do a lot of shit client-side, including any supposed 'anti-hacker' measures) is probably not the best idea.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2677 on: December 05, 2012, 07:48:24 AM

Patch tomorrow!

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley

New weapons coming Thursday. Next week awesome new anti vehicle ( including anti air you rocket pod haters) weapon

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley

@SLBartley tomorrow Thursday we have new weapons. New sniper and carbines. Next week anti vehicle

I wonder what they are.

WayAbvPar

Reply #2678 on: December 05, 2012, 09:51:59 AM

And how much they will cost. More grind for the gristmill I guess. They need do pool unlocks across guns and/or characters. Having to unlock the same shit for every gun for every character makes me want to quit.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2679 on: December 05, 2012, 10:36:59 AM

Having to unlock the same shit for every gun for every character makes me want to quit.

Really? Lame! I didn't notice this, but my other character is in another faction. I'd like to see them do it across the board, ie: if you buy infantry weapon A, you get the equivalent of weapon A in all 3 factions.

- Viin
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2680 on: December 05, 2012, 10:55:04 AM

And how much they will cost. More grind for the gristmill I guess. They need do pool unlocks across guns and/or characters. Having to unlock the same shit for every gun for every character makes me want to quit.

Sounds like this is a pretty high priority for them and they say its a when not if type situation. I am just not sure why it wasn't like that from the start it seems very odd that your micro transaction stuff only counts for one character. At least the stuff that exists on all sides if unlocked for one character should unlock for all.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2681 on: December 05, 2012, 11:15:55 AM

The unlocks Way's talking about are not purchased through station cash, but through cert points only. Considering that nearly all weapon mods cost ~100 cert points, its positively everquesty in its grindage. If I want a weapon grip on one model of assault rifle, it doesn't transfer to any other weapon.

100 cert points is a LOT for a rubber stick handle strapped to the front of your gun that only marginally seems to stabilize the gun more.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2682 on: December 05, 2012, 11:20:28 AM

Sounds like this is a pretty high priority for them and they say its a when not if type situation. I am just not sure why it wasn't like that from the start it seems very odd that your micro transaction stuff only counts for one character. At least the stuff that exists on all sides if unlocked for one character should unlock for all.

Yes it makes sense from our standpoint... but from a business standpoint, this is what works. Leveling a TR on one server for a few weeks and unlocking the stuff you want - then switch to another server as VS and have everything in the store available for your new character at NO COST? Can't see it considering the game is F2P. I could see, however, upping the cost to only Station Cash and making it 1000 you get the weapons pack for your account for a specific class in that you select say two guns that will be unlocked account-wide. They gotta make money on this somehow and keep people chasing the carrot, whether time invested or credit card submitted. Odd as this is, I am ok with SOE on this. Frustrating as shit for the player and does annoy me as well... but i understand.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2683 on: December 05, 2012, 11:37:58 AM

Account wide unlocks are coming. I think what they are not saying is, they don't have enough content to justify that level of a system right now ( $$+ ). As they add more things to buy, it won't matter.

EDIT: Also, its only a grind if you are not having fun.

The first question I posed to Higby was whether the devs had considered allowing Station Cash purchases to be unlocked for an entire account, not just one character. I was pretty much expecting a no, but Higby surprised me with a yes; apparently, player feedback on this topic has already convinced the team to allow such unlocks. Folks itching to take advantage of this immediately will have to be patient, though, as there is no exact timeframe for the deployment of the change. "It's just a matter of how long it's going to take to get it right," Higby told me. "The good news is that it will be retroactive, so any items that you did buy will automatically go across your entire account once we put it in." He went on to say that there will not be an extra premium for unlocking things across your entire account; prices will remain what they are now.

There's one notable exception to the account-wide unlocks: If you buy something that is faction specific (like the Jackhammer weapon for the New Conglomerate), you won't be able to use it on other factions on the account.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:41:40 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2684 on: December 05, 2012, 12:00:07 PM

Account wide unlocks are coming. I think what they are not saying is, they don't have enough content to justify that level of a system right now ( $$+ ). As they add more things to buy, it won't matter.

EDIT: Also, its only a grind if you are not having fun.

The first question I posed to Higby was whether the devs had considered allowing Station Cash purchases to be unlocked for an entire account, not just one character. I was pretty much expecting a no, but Higby surprised me with a yes; apparently, player feedback on this topic has already convinced the team to allow such unlocks. Folks itching to take advantage of this immediately will have to be patient, though, as there is no exact timeframe for the deployment of the change. "It's just a matter of how long it's going to take to get it right," Higby told me. "The good news is that it will be retroactive, so any items that you did buy will automatically go across your entire account once we put it in." He went on to say that there will not be an extra premium for unlocking things across your entire account; prices will remain what they are now.

There's one notable exception to the account-wide unlocks: If you buy something that is faction specific (like the Jackhammer weapon for the New Conglomerate), you won't be able to use it on other factions on the account.

That would also mean the cert point cost of weapon and vehicle and suit mods are going to remain the same since gaining the same unlocks account wide lessens the carrot dispenser.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2685 on: December 05, 2012, 03:04:14 PM

I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.

I played a combat medic today. I was able to heal some people, but then a big guy appeared in front of me saying "I need a medic." I aimed my tool at him and hit the left button. Nothing happened. What did I do wrong?

I also don't know how to res people. I am apparently unable to shoot people before they shoot me.

I am a terrible medic.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2686 on: December 05, 2012, 03:11:24 PM

If it was a big guy, was probably a MAX. Armored power suit basically. Needs an engi to fix em up.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2687 on: December 05, 2012, 03:17:00 PM

I also don't know how to res people.
It's the same as healing but the targeting is very finicky and the revive range is very short until you upgrade the medical applicator. It sometimes helps to crouch next to the body.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2688 on: December 05, 2012, 03:35:35 PM

Medic has a very limited role in a game that's all about spawn points given infantry are so fragile and there's lots of vehicles farming them. Don't focus too much on the healing, mostly use the AoE ability if there's any suggestions of enemies around, and instead worry about the trying to stay alive and shoot back at things.

Also some "rez" targets are just broken, the body will lie their for ages distracting medics but can't actually be rezzed.

- Simond
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2689 on: December 05, 2012, 03:46:27 PM

If it was a big guy, was probably a MAX. Armored power suit basically. Needs an engi to fix em up.

That's what it was.

Ok, so engineer I will be.

What is the AOE ability? The grenade I have?
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2690 on: December 05, 2012, 03:58:17 PM

When you were the medic you had an aoe heal, press f.  Engineer is a good choice if you like support, there are tonnes of medics and not enough engineers.  Drop ammo and repair MAXs, vehicles, terminals, turrets.  You can't rezz the MAXs though, only medics can.  Once rezzed they need to be repaired however.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2691 on: December 05, 2012, 04:07:33 PM

Repair works like medic heal?

How do I drop ammo?

Thanks - trying to suss all this out is not easy.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2692 on: December 05, 2012, 04:25:14 PM

By default, it's 4 for the ammo pack, then just click on the ground somewhere nearby-ish.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2693 on: December 05, 2012, 04:59:22 PM

Same healy type device as medic yes, affectionately known as the glue gun, default is 3 (you can also mousewheel to your ammo pack/repair).  A more advanced trick is take mines instead of the ammo pack (you have to train into mines) and then use your alt ability on the turret.  So you switch to your turret, press b, then you can drop ammo that way too.

You also have a turret.  It can be useful but is situational.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2694 on: December 05, 2012, 05:29:37 PM

Very situational, because it causes you to be stuck in place making you a very visible head-shot advertisement. And it has a tiny arc. So pretty much you need a indoor choke-point. Or just use it as a decoy / obstruction.

Even though base defences are sort of terrible I still tend to have fun trying to get them repaired and getting a couple of shots off. Making it harder for air or getting a tank kill from a repaired turret are somewhat productive and decent XP. (I'm NC on briggs, we spend a lot of time on the defensive it seems).

- Simond
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: