Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:59:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724155 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2520 on: November 28, 2012, 02:46:58 PM

A lock on weapon is pretty mandatory for a rocket launcher to be any threat to air-craft, because tracking those pirouetting buggers manually with a very slow projectile speed weapon is an impossible task. I believe most people don't bother with the lock on anti-armor version because most of the time dumb-fire is enough and the lock on process gives the tank too much warning.

I spot, but I hate the "need ammo" thing when something is out of range. Both because it's incorrect and because I can clearly see the cluster of sunderers and I'd like to tell the pubs. Plus I detest the female voice in this game. I was hoping for more fem-shep and less little girl lost on the battlefield.

I end up defending bases because I feel obligated to, repairing base guns is much of my XP and I like shooting them futilely at things. And happy to hear the sprint thing as it supports my use of the shotgun, though the thing has an effective range of < 10 meters :/

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #2521 on: November 28, 2012, 04:32:11 PM

I was really surprised earlier.  I was switching in between medic and engi because fools keep dying in the doorway and well, the resupply is right there.  But anyway, I see an enemy heavy just standing there trying to aim while I'm on my medic so I swap to the machine gun and tap him once.  It hits and he doesn't move so I double tap and kill him.  Which is a lesson I need to take to heart.  Selective fire seems to be much better than spray and pray, even though my instincts tell me "suppressing fire!  SUPPRESSING FIRE!  NOT THE FACE!"

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2522 on: November 28, 2012, 04:57:34 PM

All right I have another stupid question.  Does the heavy assault not have an actual bonus to shield/health totals?  I just did a few tests to see how much more they have by falling off a tower, the distance is such that my medic survives with a sliver of health.  Same thing happened with the HA.  I assumed the HA would have more default shield/health because, that's what the descriptions say and common sense would dictate.  My medic has a bit more nanoweave but not much.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2523 on: November 28, 2012, 05:25:49 PM

I might be wrong here but I don't think the HA has any more HP or shield when you start playing, and I think that is fine. His/her alternate ability is very powerful when it comes to that anyway, giving you the additional survivability under fire that the class is advertised for. Even more so when you start spending points on it. Heavies with the shield popped up are tough as nails.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2524 on: November 28, 2012, 05:39:19 PM

1000 hit points per class, barring the infiltrator who I believe has a bit less shield. The heavy can boost their resistance and the medic can have a HoT going. Time to kill is pretty fast for all of them.

- Simond
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #2525 on: November 28, 2012, 06:38:45 PM

1000 hit points per class, barring the infiltrator who I believe has a bit less shield. The heavy can boost their resistance and the medic can have a HoT going. Time to kill is pretty fast for all of them.

The heavies ability is a raw hit point buffer actually. He can change to a hit point buffer that he gets when he kills people or a resistance increase
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2526 on: November 28, 2012, 08:18:51 PM

Just found out I could put a machine gun on the thunderer atv...  Don't know why it defaults to unarmed.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #2527 on: November 29, 2012, 01:14:07 AM

NC had a good late night tonight.  In three hours took over Amerish then Easimir.  Course by the time Easimir was finished most of Amerish was lost, but it was still Blue bordered on the big map!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2528 on: November 29, 2012, 02:10:08 AM

Apparently you get a cert point passively every three hours (8 per day) for 24 hours after you've logged in. Though it was a random forum comment so no idea if that's still accurate.

After playing another round of generator chasey with a LA I'm looking at the bouncing betty grenades with a new appreciation. But I want the tank mines first because dropping those under someones Sunderer just appeals to me greatly.

The strategic level of this game is just fail though. Every time I look at the map it's different and I really don't care.

- Simond
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2529 on: November 29, 2012, 03:15:34 AM

8 per day is good. If you sto playing for, say, 6 months, and come back later on, you find your character with a complimentary 1400 certs to play with. If you come back after a year, it's almost 3000 certs. A really cool idea. They do not imbalance things on an everyday basis, but they make it less painful to take long breaks and come back in an overspecialized world.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2530 on: November 29, 2012, 04:16:25 AM

Don't you need to log in every day to get the certs, though?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2531 on: November 29, 2012, 05:13:12 AM

NC had a good late night tonight.  In three hours took over Amerish then Easimir.  Course by the time Easimir was finished most of Amerish was lost, but it was still Blue bordered on the big map!

We tend to do that. It's kinda like the nightly Russian swarm against the goons in EVE back in the day, only in reverse.

That said, the comment about not really caring about the strategic element is dead on, and that's a bit of a shame. We need sanctuaries back so we can trap people there for a while.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2532 on: November 29, 2012, 05:32:08 AM

Have to log in to get the passive certs yes.  I created a character of the other races to let them sit and collect, hopefully there will be a free transfer at some point and I'll put them on the same server once that's allowed.  Still need to test if it's just an account log in or if I have to load up each character.  The rate seems to be effected by +xp modifiers.

The non NC weapons do "feel" better.

Some more conjecture, it might be that names are reserved throughout all servers, not per server.  So if you haven't made alts yet because they can't be on the same server you might want to reserve a couple names on other servers for now.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2533 on: November 29, 2012, 05:33:50 AM

Don't you need to log in every day to get the certs, though?

Yes, that's why I said "for 24 hours after you've logged in". But I'm not sure that's actually how they do it (could be by calendar day) and it would be interesting on if it applies to all characters. It was just a player statement on the forums though, so lacking in detail or authority.

- Simond
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2534 on: November 29, 2012, 05:38:11 AM

We need sanctuaries back so we can trap people there for a while.

Honestly, I want more than that. Guild Wars 2 made me realize that I have gotten spoiled and now I want more. I don't feel like armchair designing a three-way 24/7 war that can feel rewarding and meaningful, so I won't bash too much on designers for not having come up with a good solution yet, but considering how good both Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2 do three-way war with sieges and territorial conquest, the next step I am looking forward to is something, anything, that gives a more persistent feeling (so not necessarily items or xp) of reward for the effort. A sense of accomplishment.

The best idea I could come up with, so far, has been a scoreboard that keeps track of wins and losses. In GW2 for example it would help to have a page that shows all the matches your server played, with results, and then a leaderboard page that shows all wins by server. In game. It's definitely not enough but it would be something. If anything, GW2 needs more meta stuff and meta tools. And the same is true for Planetside 2, but since there are no defined matches it is even harder to find a way to make players feel accomplished for anything your empire does.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:46:24 AM by Falconeer »

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2535 on: November 29, 2012, 07:25:31 AM

GW2 wins over this because there is some degree of faction identity, accumulating points and a "winner" after some time interval. Plus the fortresses act as choke points. In this game fortresses are just things to flip for XP and fights.

- Simond
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2536 on: November 29, 2012, 07:33:09 AM

I'd say GW2 wins, but I have to admit that over time I realized what takes the interest away from me in WvW: the lack of enemy names. Fighting nameless enemies makes it feel, in a way, terribly PvE-ish. It is not, and I love myself a good skirmish. It can't seem to develop any sense of community and anti-community without seeing player names. I also found out I am not alone in this, and no matter what their reasoning about this was, I think they made a mistake.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2537 on: November 29, 2012, 07:36:41 AM

I would like to take a moment and invite any F13er who would like to to join us on Mattherson[ US - East ], TR. More people playing together the better.

Sign up on our forums and ill get you in outfit in game. We take alts too. Alternatively, you can PM MrBloodworth Or Unclegoodtouch in game for an invite or PM me here.

http://bastardbattalion.enjin.com/home

/shill
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:39:02 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2538 on: November 29, 2012, 08:33:40 AM

So C4 is pretty damn disappointing. 200 certs to unlock it, you have to pay 100 infantry-money-things per block, you can only carry 1 block at a time, and it takes multiple blocks to kill full health vehicles if you managed to get up to it.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2539 on: November 29, 2012, 08:36:16 AM

Doesn't the bandolier or some other suit mod allow you to carry more?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2540 on: November 29, 2012, 08:54:41 AM

It doesn't really help that you can carry 2 c4 blocks for an additional 400 certs, considering that it's really really easy to die while you are trying to place it. Maybe I just need more practice :/

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #2541 on: November 29, 2012, 09:12:00 AM

Is the Medkit unlock worthwhile?

I was planning on unlocking C4 soon since I run a bunch of medic and few times I've com across a Sunderer with no way to take it out.   Guess I need to try running in a squad more...

I'm just at a loss on what to spend certs on first really.  I really wish there was VR so I could try stuff out.  I look at the list of scopes and attachments and whatnot but without trying it it's hard to get a feel for what's good for me and what's not. Which is probably the reason there is no VR, they want you to just randomly spend certs to try stuff out.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2542 on: November 29, 2012, 09:12:24 AM

That's the thing, I feels like I have to farm for days just to be able to use a few sticks of C4 which are already situational.

I don't know, I just feel this whole Cert farming bullshit takes fun out of the game for me. I see guns that are 1000 certs and know I have to spend weeks farming for the damn thing, or I can pay money and get it quicker. I really, really fucking miss BF3's unlock system.

Is the Medkit unlock worthwhile?

I was planning on unlocking C4 soon since I run a bunch of medic and few times I've com across a Sunderer with no way to take it out.   Guess I need to try running in a squad more...

I'm just at a loss on what to spend certs on first really.  I really wish there was VR so I could try stuff out.  I look at the list of scopes and attachments and whatnot but without trying it it's hard to get a feel for what's good for me and what's not. Which is probably the reason there is no VR, they want you to just randomly spend certs to try stuff out.

I'm in the same boat as you. There are so many things to unlock, and certs are sometimes hard to come by, that I don't get the feel good feelings when I unlock something because I always worry it wasn't worth it.

As for C4, 1 stick doesn't kill a Sunderer. So you need 400 total certs for C4 + the ability to carry another stick. Then you have to pay 100 infantry resources on sticks. Of course you can just pay money out of pocket and get all these things much quicker. Yay for F2P...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:16:03 AM by waffel »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2543 on: November 29, 2012, 09:16:02 AM

C4, isn't that a universal unlock? Does Bf3 just give you stuff for logging in or something?

Also, I have no complaints with the Cert system, or its rate. That's what boosts are for. Also, you get XP for every thing, not just kills.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2544 on: November 29, 2012, 09:20:05 AM

As for C4, 1 stick doesn't kill a Sunderer. So you need 400 total certs for C4 + the ability to carry another stick. Then you have to pay 100 infantry resources on sticks. Of course you can just pay money out of pocket and get all these things much quicker. Yay for F2P...

What do you mean? You can't pay real money for C4, for the resources, nor for the needed certs. Am I wrong?

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2545 on: November 29, 2012, 09:25:04 AM

I spent most of last night on the middle continent having a blast defending a base (tech? the shieldy one) for NC until we were the one blue spot left outside the warp gate. Was quite fun, and about 3 hours earned me 100 certs. Looking at all the 1000 cert guns and stuff for the engineer, I was discouraged.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2546 on: November 29, 2012, 09:28:04 AM

Does Bf3 just give you stuff for logging in or something?

Well for 1 BF3 gives you C4 for free on a class and you don't have to purchase bricks constantly. You also don't have to purchase grenades constantly (two stupid systems in PS2)

Also, the more you used a class the more guns you unlocked. The more you used a gun the more scopes and attachment you unlocked. You also unlocked new camo and squad perks, etc. Then there are assignments you can complete for more unlocks. The system is amazing mainly because you're rewarded for playing your class and the rewards come naturally, you never have the feeling of "Man, this scope sucks, I wish I never purchased it"

In PS2, if you want a new gun you have to save all your certs to buy it, which means buying nothing else along the way. This isn't exactly exciting knowing that, since you currently have 80 certs, for the next week you need to save every single cert so you can buy a new gun all while hoping it doesn't suck. Along the way you'll get no new unlocks for anything.

I mean I understand the system they were going for. They want players to either pay upfront for unlocks, or grind out certs for months. It's boring.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2547 on: November 29, 2012, 09:33:43 AM

I have gotten 400 certs in like, 3 days ( 2-4 hour sessions ). I only have the 10% boost from the alpha squad. I'm sure I even spent some in that time.

Do you guys play solo? Because a full squad, and a decent Xp gain ( Not just kills ) will get you certs really fast..... Not to mention, you get medals for using guns, that grant certs...

You will gain a Certification Point with every 250 experience points you earn.

Base Capture
XP    Task Completed
1000    Large Sized Base Capture
500    Medium Sized Base Capture
250    Small Sized Base Capture
25    Point Control Conversion

Combat
XP    Task Completed
100    Enemy Kill
50 extra    Critical Kill
50    Critical Assist
25 extra    Kill Streak Stop
25    Assist Kill
10 extra    Headshot
10 extra    Kill Streak
10 extra    Attack/Defend Kill (Near Capture Point)

Vehicles

XP    Task Completed
100    Main Battle Tank Kill
70    Sunderer Kill Assist
50    Liberator Kill Assist
25    Turret (Engineer) Kill
25    Flash Kill
10    Flash Assist Kill

Support
XP    Task Completed
75    Revive
25    Hack Turret or Terminal
Variable (1-20)    Repair Turret, Tank or MAX
15    Resupply Squadmate with Ammo Pack
10    Resupply with Ammo Pack
10    Squad Beacon Spawn

Medal Level    Kills Required    Reward
Bronze    10    10  XP
1 certification points

Silver    60    50  XP
5 certification points

Gold    150    100  XP
10 certification points

Auraxium    1000    1000  XP
100 certification points

There may be a % modifier increase if your empire has a population disadvantage on the server. There is a bonus of 10-15% when defending territory that belongs to your empire.

Also, resources matter, that's the point. Any consumable costs resources.

EDIT: More up to date list.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:48:04 AM by Mrbloodworth »

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2548 on: November 29, 2012, 09:34:32 AM

FYI on the medkit since I unlocked it yesterday, it costs 75 infantry resource to resupply it. Can carry one at a time for the first unlock, works just like grenades etc where you have to equip it then use it. It's never saved my life in a one on one type situation, for me it takes to much time and I'm better off if I just keep firing. Only times I have used it successfully is ducking out of the fight, healing up then heading back in. It does heal you completely from what I have seen no matter your HPs. Honestly wish I would have just done the regen one instead since it's cheaper and supposedly heals in a couple seconds anyway.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2549 on: November 29, 2012, 10:12:34 AM

Q&A with Higby and Isaac

Highlights (according to me):

- 3 more continents coming next year (we knew). But they made a point to specify that they will implement continent-locking and conquest mechanics along with the new continents. Searhus, the Volcanic map is next. Hossin is somewhere after that.

- New vehicles will be added (no ETA). Empire-specific. Almost certainly a three-person ground vehicle. Snow mobiles and buggies are the first ups though.

- New cosmetic stuff will be added every two weeks.

- Galaxy AMS (for squads only) coming early next year.

- Sunderer's ammo hologram will be fixed when used as a transport. It's a known bug.

- Culling is being looked at in order to make it "smarter", and stop hiding relevant actors.

- They MIGHT (or not) include an alien invasion (PvE) event at some point, without radically changing the core of the game, which would remain a PvP game.

- Orbital Strike coming early next year.

- Cell phone application (?) coming in a couple of weeks.

- Lots of UI improvements for colour blind individuals. Including different and selectable modes to highlight friends and foes both in the world and in the minimap, like in RTS/MOBA games.

- They will probably include the shooting range to test out weapons at some point in the future.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #2550 on: November 29, 2012, 12:28:57 PM

Good post about making SC purchases account wide.  I think this will make it much easier for people to spend a little cash unlocking a gun or two.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/13zsi0/make_sc_purchases_account_wide_we_have_some/

We are looking into this seriously. I would say we are over the "should we" part of the argument and into the "how can we" part. We've been reading the threads about this and it's fair to say we agree with the point of view that a lot of things you purchase should be account wide.
Do not read this as "this is going to be in tomorrow". It's a significant amount of work. It sounds simple but there are a lot of ramifications and systems this touches under the hood.

When we do this we'll make sure it's retroactive to stuff you've already purchased that falls under the account wide category. Obviously there are simple issues like empire specific weapons.. etc. That's where a lot of the complications come from.
But we're looking closely at this and hope to announce something fairly soon.

Thanks
Smed
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2551 on: November 30, 2012, 06:44:41 AM

Smed Just posted this:

j_smedley John Smedley 17h
people keep asking for galaxies to carry tanks. bah. pic.twitter.com/QsExBfU2

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2552 on: November 30, 2012, 07:04:36 AM

Seriously,  awesome, for real

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2553 on: November 30, 2012, 07:07:29 AM

I suppose its to be expected, lets all recall this concept art:

They did mention something about it only being allowed on conts built for it.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2554 on: November 30, 2012, 07:20:36 AM

YAY BF2142!!  Ohhhhh, I see.

Going to need a shit load more skyguards... ones that actually work would be posh.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: