Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:40:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724186 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2205 on: November 20, 2012, 07:19:29 PM

Mattherson - Fews (if I ever get in) :: TR
Waterson - Javen :: NC (I vomit a little each time - but at least I get in)
Genudine - Kerosene :: VS (for the HA HAs)

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2206 on: November 20, 2012, 07:28:03 PM

Waterson - Noitek

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2207 on: November 20, 2012, 07:34:55 PM

I love the "Picked to spawn in middle of enemy base, died in 3 seconds, wtf?" vs the "Ran around for 10 minutes and didn't see anyone, wtf?" viewpoints.

I did see plenty of players in those ten minutes - or at least their HUD icons moving around through buildings and whatnot. What I didn't see was a way to the ground.

Eh. I don't think it's unreasonable to want a happy medium between "spawn a mile from the front line" and "spawn twelve feet in front of an enemy squad."

EDIT: I'm on Waterson because... um, because of Calvin & Hobbes. Sue me. Character Stormwaltz, Vanu because I'm hip on transhumanism, the singularity, and all that other nerd-rapture stuff. But you don't want me in your outfit because I suck. :P
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 07:39:59 PM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
WayAbvPar

Reply #2208 on: November 20, 2012, 07:51:23 PM

US east coast Waterson, made a smurf named SmurfSkippy.  Tried to add Way's Kryten and can't find outfits to join?  Says there is a list, but no list.

OK I saw your friend request but didn't know who you were so I didn't add you yet. Will rectify that when I get back on.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2209 on: November 20, 2012, 08:04:17 PM

Server broken... get to sit there and press play, while the terrible music drives me insane, and nothing happens. Got to love launch.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #2210 on: November 20, 2012, 08:12:37 PM

Eh. I don't think it's unreasonable to want a happy medium between "spawn a mile from the front line" and "spawn twelve feet in front of an enemy squad."

Once more players certify mobile spawn points, and if you join up with a squad leader who can support squad spawning, that covers the midground pretty well. But, unfortunately, it ultimately relies on faith in your fellow soldiers to know what they're doing.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2211 on: November 20, 2012, 08:18:20 PM

Well i most certainly hope nobody had any faith in me because i had no clue what i was doing.

I am the .00000001428%
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #2212 on: November 20, 2012, 08:19:48 PM

Finally able to make some toon's!

East Coast US Servers
Waterson--  SmurfSkippy
Mattherson-- PBRsupercool

Will be a medic or engineer and usually driving a "bang bus w/lights" (had to get the skirt lights for it).  Debating on what weapons to throw on the Sunderer, thinking of just the .50 cal's and asap on the dang AMS function.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2213 on: November 20, 2012, 08:45:29 PM

Doesn't recognize left-handed mouse and can't do key-bindings from the pregame settings screen. Nothing I love more than getting dropped in and nothing works right.

- Simond
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2214 on: November 20, 2012, 09:16:01 PM

Waterson - NC - Diziet
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:20:16 PM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2215 on: November 20, 2012, 09:20:57 PM

Connery - Toadchewer - TR
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2216 on: November 20, 2012, 09:56:59 PM

The HUD is impossible to read for the most part at 1080p, not couch-friendly.

CashWiley - NC - Waterson
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2217 on: November 21, 2012, 03:35:54 AM

Apparently I can't remap movement keys? That's a game breaker for me. I've run with ESDF for years now and can't stand WASD. Unless someone sees something I'm missing... ?
Terracotta Army

Reply #2218 on: November 21, 2012, 04:03:14 AM

Apparently I can't remap movement keys? That's a game breaker for me. I've run with ESDF for years now and can't stand WASD. Unless someone sees something I'm missing... ?

Umm.. escape key > settings (bottom right) > infantry tab? I reset all my keys in every game. The tabs at the top threw me for a bit though.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2219 on: November 21, 2012, 04:49:13 AM

Umm.. escape key > settings (bottom right) > infantry tab? I reset all my keys in every game. The tabs at the top threw me for a bit though.

Oh. Right. The infantry tab and not the keyboard tab. Makes perfect sense. Ohhhhh, I see.

Seriously, though, thanks. I'll take a look at that tonight.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2220 on: November 21, 2012, 06:10:57 AM

The aussie server has been broken or down pretty much all day. Got to play a little though.

It does pretty much what I expect out of an MMO-FPS. The sight of a large massed force fighting a pitched battle is quite epic. But of course it brings the other issues of many battles being more about massively imbalanced battles or chasing the annoying veteran around the excessively large base. After a while you start to miss the more tuned and balanced maps which focus the action. And the shooting is a little clunky, maybe it will be better when I've filled out my cert list a bit more.

It's sort of fun, it would quite probably be more fun in an organized outfit, but that's not really what I want out of shooters. I'll keep playing it though, because there's not a lot of other options for really large battles with a strategic layer.

- Simond
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2221 on: November 21, 2012, 07:09:02 AM

Doesn't recognize left-handed mouse and can't do key-bindings from the pregame settings screen. Nothing I love more than getting dropped in and nothing works right.

Actually you can but you have to do it before you finish character creation. But from that screen you can access the settings button.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2222 on: November 21, 2012, 07:14:54 AM

Actually you can but you have to do it before you finish character creation. But from that screen you can access the settings button.

The settings screen from outside the game is limited to graphic options only.

So, you passively generate certs over time according to the wiki. Is that per character or per account?

- Simond
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2223 on: November 21, 2012, 07:20:31 AM

Nope you can remap them fine. I am working with ESDF myself one thing to note make sure you remap ground and air vehicle keys at the same time to save yourself embarassment of auto ejecting from your plane while flying(/hides face).
Terracotta Army

Reply #2224 on: November 21, 2012, 08:10:13 AM

So far, the game is decent. It lacks an 'interactive' part with the bases though. I really dislike the missing hacking portion. The bases are decent, but way too open which negates a lot of the strat the first game had. I get a real paintball feel here. About the only thing active worth doing is dropping gens to drop force fields. I get the purpose of the game, but it just feels like it lacks substance - which echoes my ever persistent opinion of this game. Likewise, the bases themselves, while incredibly large, had no personality to them. I could not tell you any base name I was at on either my NC on Amerish (at least I think it was Amerish on the loading screen) or on my Vanu on some ice continent. Hell most of the times I popped open my map, I was zoomed in to the point of only seeing the base I was on - till I realized I could zoom out and even then it was chaotic at best. I am hoping with more playtime, shit will become more familiar and take on something memorable instead of shooting people at base A and standing by some console B. Bases need to stick out to have any salience... though I fear in the end, there really isn't any.

It does have some of the planetside feel to it and there is the lemmings situation that was abundant last night on my TR. Taking whatever the fuck base we were at and NC had TR stuck trying to get into the two doorways. 35 minutes of silliness and grenades and dead bodies. Then I realized most of the NC holding the doors had GOON tags. Good on them for the organization... really shows it works in a game like this.

And holy shit is faction recognition a complete pain in the ass. That marker over their character is about the only thing that I can distinguish. There was a reason the three teams were different colors... here everyone wears the same shit only with different armor accents and helmets. I am still torn on the MAX units. They are marginally different from each other and retain some of the same qualities as each other like the weapon off the arm rather than part of it like on the VS and NC originals... I can deal with the fact everyone gets dual weapons on the units I guess. I dislike the fact you can gun down a MAX with a standard loadout though. I miss the AP round switch and the HUGE TTK on the MAX units unless you had deci's. They really feel like rexo armor with dual weapons...maybe a little stronger. HA seems to be better overall with the shield ability than a clumsy MAX. But hey, at least I can tell those factions in their MAX suits.

Overall, I'll probably dink around in this game till the next BF installment turns it into a barren wasteland. Not sure I'll be sticking with my TR though... seems I should leave the glory days of my TR behind with the real Planetside.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2225 on: November 21, 2012, 08:29:32 AM

I'd get so much more exp if people would just accept their freaking rez.

I am the .00000001428%
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2226 on: November 21, 2012, 08:46:12 AM

I'd get so much more exp if people would just accept their freaking rez.

Can't, To busy buying hubcaps for my Flash.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
WayAbvPar

Reply #2227 on: November 21, 2012, 10:28:56 AM

Character names, servers, factions, etc

Let me know if I missed anyone. Please post in that thread with corrections or new info. Those of you on Waterson/NC that would like to join Evil Chickens, let me know in game and we will get you invited. We use TeamSpeak 3 to communicate.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2228 on: November 21, 2012, 02:42:58 PM

And holy shit is faction recognition a complete pain in the ass.

This.  TR isn't too bad, being red, but telling NC and Vanu apart can be a bit of a pain in the ass at times.  It's even worse when it's dark.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2229 on: November 21, 2012, 03:00:10 PM

Shoot anything without a big icon above it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2230 on: November 21, 2012, 05:03:23 PM

That does not work. Lots of infantry enemies don't have any icon on their heads until someone from your team 'spots' them (default key Q). In fact, a safe method to tell foes fromfriends is to shoot anything that does NOT have an icon on theor head, since friends always have the little blue triangle.
But wait until you start seeing people with the white camo uniform. It's identical for all the three factions, with the only thing different being the helmet (Usually dark, with a just a few blue, red, or purple stripes based on team). It's crazy, just crazy. And did I mention "night"?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2231 on: November 21, 2012, 05:06:43 PM

I just shoot everything and wait to see if I get the TK warning awesome, for real
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2232 on: November 21, 2012, 05:33:52 PM

Yeah, the camo uniform was what was throwing me off yesterday.  

Edit: Not that I need any help sucking, or anything.  awesome, for real

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2233 on: November 21, 2012, 06:41:08 PM

In fact, a safe method to tell foes fromfriends is to shoot anything that does NOT have an icon on theor head
That's what I said.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2234 on: November 21, 2012, 06:47:01 PM

Always nice to see devs increasing their support for the color-blind.  Heartbreak

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2235 on: November 21, 2012, 06:49:07 PM

Shoot anything without a big icon above it.

Big icon? They're pretty tiny.

Biolab is one of the worst point defence maps I've seen...

- Simond
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2236 on: November 21, 2012, 08:10:14 PM

Started Bat Country on Waterson for NC. Feel free to join.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2237 on: November 21, 2012, 09:38:42 PM

Big icon? They're pretty tiny.
I hope granular HUD scaling goes in ASAP. I'm about to run without the HUD for all the difference the miniscules make.

Seriously, the tiny text in my previous post? That's how big it it. I can't read that, maybe it's just that I have a tv and sofa setup, but there's no reason to leave off scaling the HUD since pretty much anything else does it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2238 on: November 21, 2012, 11:33:09 PM

In fact, a safe method to tell foes fromfriends is to shoot anything that does NOT have an icon on theor head
That's what I said.

Ugh, you are right  awesome, for real

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2239 on: November 21, 2012, 11:55:52 PM

Eh, forget it. I'm too awful at these games. After getting killed over a dozen times without a single kill or assist to my credit, I deleted my character and uninstalled. Back to playing against bots.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: