Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:36:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724212 times)
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2030 on: November 08, 2012, 09:42:03 AM

The problem is, you can't not compare it to PS1, as that was the only other game that tried anything on this scale.

That said, there are some flashes of brilliance in there.

My squad was holding down a base today that was being assaulted from two sides, Vanu to the north, TR to the south. I was holed up in an AA turret at the top of the base, letting loose on the mosquitos that tried to launch from the air tower the TR had taken. Most of the mossy pilots were just trying to hot drop on the roof of the base to take out the row of turrets with their rocket launchers. (Which is another bone I have to pick, heavy assault in a plane?) Anyway, one got through and I had to hop out of my turret and try to stop the guy, ended up gut-shooting him with my bolt driver and then finishing the job with my knife.

I then ran over to the AT turret opposite me, just in time to spy a Vanu heavy taking aim from down below. Dropped a round on him and managed to kiill both him and the TR cloaker that I assume was sneaking up behind him to stab him in the back.

With some caveats, good times.

Right before the big amerish patch me and my friend were playing and had some really good skirmishes. I was playing a combat medic and we had around 50 people pushing with assorted tanks helping and it really felt like the normandy invasion. people were dropping left and right and I was doing my best to patch them up very intense hour or so of fighting.

My biggest gripe is probably infantry is a tad to squishy until you cert up your defenses. Even with heavy assault you will often die without even knowing what shot you in an eyeblink until you get some of your armor/shield stuff certed out.

The anti air stuff has gone back and forth a bit during beta. At some times it was both hard to come by and in cases ineffective. Then it went super common. I think its a bit of finding a balance on it but I still see a ton of planes and they still seem quite effective.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2031 on: November 08, 2012, 10:07:22 AM

Looks like they are adding in Auto HEALTH regeneration because......well I do not know why.  Ohhhhh, I see. I Guess people could not stand having to ask another player for assistance?

Got put the MMO somewhere in there...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2032 on: November 08, 2012, 10:14:20 AM

Am I just a relic? Do people really play online games now, to not play with others?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2033 on: November 08, 2012, 10:22:45 AM

Yes. I only group in MMORPGs when I absolutely have to (multi-boxing for teh win! awesome, for real). Planetside, though, is different since it's there's only so much you can do running around by yourself and the game is decidedly less fun that way. I also enjoy playing support roles, which isn't as useful if you are by yoursel1f (repairing stuff is about all you can do in PS2, in 1 you could do a lot more as solo support).
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2034 on: November 08, 2012, 12:19:38 PM

PS1 was a lot of fun solo. I used to dig playing a stealthing CE.

There's playing with others and then there's being stuck looking for a healer. Forced grouping still sucks.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2035 on: November 08, 2012, 12:49:28 PM

They cut out all the things you could do solo that was in PS1, now it feels like they are lowing the bar to compensate.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #2036 on: November 08, 2012, 03:38:38 PM

They seem to have dumped a whole ton of certs on people in the last couple of days; I'm up over 3000 certs that I certainly didn't earn.

The game is way better once you have a few of the major unlocks. I picked up the homing anti-tank and anti-air missile launchers, plus certed the fuck out of the Scythe. Flying around launching missiles at Mosquitoes and then finishing them off with a quick cannon burst is awesome. Sneaking behind enemy lines and blowing up all the outbound enemy air support is awesome. Flanking a tank column and blowing up all their AA Lightnings is awesome.

I think the only problem is that they've locked away a lot of the really good, fun stuff behind large cert point barriers, particularly for aircraft - obviously a money grab.

I'm really liking the way it's played for the past few days, really. I think I'll be certing out the Liberator next.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #2037 on: November 08, 2012, 05:42:17 PM

I should know this but is the Lib single person?

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2038 on: November 08, 2012, 08:42:12 PM

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2039 on: November 08, 2012, 10:40:31 PM

They seem to have dumped a whole ton of certs on people in the last couple of days; I'm up over 3000 certs that I certainly didn't earn.

The game is way better once you have a few of the major unlocks. I picked up the homing anti-tank and anti-air missile launchers, plus certed the fuck out of the Scythe. Flying around launching missiles at Mosquitoes and then finishing them off with a quick cannon burst is awesome. Sneaking behind enemy lines and blowing up all the outbound enemy air support is awesome. Flanking a tank column and blowing up all their AA Lightnings is awesome.

I think the only problem is that they've locked away a lot of the really good, fun stuff behind large cert point barriers, particularly for aircraft - obviously a money grab.

I'm really liking the way it's played for the past few days, really. I think I'll be certing out the Liberator next.

I mentioned the cert thing a page back. I've now gotten in the neighborhood of 7k vert points. I've unlocked all the things.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2040 on: November 09, 2012, 12:33:34 AM

Smed said there were things that would have taken a dedicated gamer months to unlock. I can't really see those, or figure them out. Are they not in yet, or it's just a matter of math and he meant it will take that long to unlock the last slot (usually in the 240-480 certs range) of every single unlockable?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2041 on: November 09, 2012, 09:34:16 AM

With my heavy assault TR toon, I keep on getting insta killed by VS Nova rifles. Anyone else experiencing this? Its gotten so bad I am sorta losing heart.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2042 on: November 09, 2012, 09:35:56 AM

Not sure if I get insta-killed but sometimes it toally feels like it. It helps to boost your armour or health. It doesn't cost much and I assume they balanced the game over that considering that it's only a matter of time before everyone has those upgrades.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2043 on: November 09, 2012, 09:50:06 AM

Also, the AA shoullder laucher seems mostly useless. Too long to get a lock, and they just chaff them so it never hits. Bitch moan whine complain, I know, but srsly, what's the danged point of even having them.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2044 on: November 09, 2012, 09:56:29 AM

I don't wanna defend the game at all costs, especially when it's about things where I am not that good myself, but launchers like many other things are pretty effective when you a) put some certs into it, and b) learn their strenghts and limitations. I wouldn't say this game has a real learning curve, but you definitely see your performance improving after a few days, regardless of how good your aim usually is at FPS.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2045 on: November 09, 2012, 09:59:58 AM

I don't wanna defend the game at all costs, especially when it's about things where I am not that good myself, but launchers like many other things are pretty effective when you a) put some certs into it, and b) learn their strenghts and limitations. I wouldn't say this game has a real learning curve, but you definitely see your performance improving after a few days, regardless of how good your aim usually is at FPS.

The TR AA launcher doesn't have any additional certs that I can see. Am I missing something?

Terracotta Army

Reply #2046 on: November 09, 2012, 10:02:09 AM

Also, the AA shoullder laucher seems mostly useless. Too long to get a lock, and they just chaff them so it never hits. Bitch moan whine complain, I know, but srsly, what's the danged point of even having them.

Having two at a time? Someone to make the bastard blow his chaff and the second to blow his ass up?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2047 on: November 09, 2012, 10:27:51 AM

I have nothing to do this weekend so I've been reading the last few pages of this thread to see what people think and I honestly still have little idea.  Do you guys like this or not?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2048 on: November 09, 2012, 10:29:09 AM

No you are right they are not upgradable at the moment, but you can spend certs on the "sidegrades" that are the M) and the AR-30. One targets aircrafts, the other locks on tanks. The basic one though, the M7 is not that bad as it hurts infantry too and it's nice when you are area splash damaging that choke point. Also, I just checked and looks like all the certs for the other missile launchers are not in yet, even though there's a drop down menu (which is empty at the moment), so we can expect more stuff to fiddle with.

To Miasma, my vote is: "I like it a lot".

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2049 on: November 09, 2012, 10:35:02 AM

Do you guys like this or not?

I do. Yes.

Terracotta Army

Reply #2050 on: November 09, 2012, 11:17:54 AM

Do you guys like this or not?

I do. Yes.

You are dead to me - *tears sleeve

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2051 on: November 09, 2012, 11:36:59 AM

Sorry bro.

The things I bitch about likely belong to me, and a small set of people. This title, among other "shooters" of late have proven this to me. At the end of the day, this is Planetside. Its just a Planetside for a casual ( Read: Console ), loner variety that must be shooting 100% of the time,and go out of their way to reiterate they will never, EVER work with others.

As sad as that sounds to you and me, those are selling points to others. I do have fun when I play, not because in any real shape or form this resembles Planetside, but because of my friends, and who I play with. If anything, while team work is not required in any shape or form in this title. Teamwork is extremely fun to use with friends. I mostly play games with friends, and if anything, this is a great platform to do just that.

The game is made for the Zerg. In that way, at least ill have targets for a great while. How long will it hold me? No clue. But they were clearly not after a long term fan-base, but a churn that goes at the speed of respawn grinder they have created.

There will not be another game like this. Until Dice decides to show SOE how to do a Real Battleside:Araxis.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 11:44:08 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Terracotta Army

Reply #2052 on: November 09, 2012, 12:04:57 PM

Sorry bro.

The things I bitch about likely belong to me, and a small set of people. This title, among other "shooters" of late have proven this to me. At the end of the day, this is Planetside. Its just a Planetside for a casual ( Read: Console ), loner variety that must be shooting 100% of the time,and go out of their way to reiterate they will never, EVER work with others.

As sad as that sounds to you and me, those are selling points to others. I do have fun when I play, not because in any real shape or form this resembles Planetside, but because of my friends, and who I play with. If anything, while team work is not required in any shape or form in this title. Teamwork is extremely fun to use with friends. I mostly play games with friends, and if anything, this is a great platform to do just that.

The game is made for the Zerg. In that way, at least ill have targets for a great while. How long will it hold me? No clue. But they were clearly not after a long term fan-base, but a churn that goes at the speed of respawn grinder they have created.

There will not be another game like this. Until Dice decides to show SOE how to do a Real Battleside:Araxis.

I thought the green would have bled through.

My outfit dried up and even though we still have a forum, it is a shell of itself and once a month posts about who had a kid/got married/lost a job are about all it gets. Life happened so to speak, and broke up the party so no playing with the Alliance guys anymore and that really made PS1 for me.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2053 on: November 09, 2012, 12:34:22 PM

This is just depressing.

AGN PlanetSide 2 Instant Action: MLG Fall 2012

Many of thees people are "pro" gamers. That's fucking nuts.

Its the same thing going around in many reviews/previews right now:

1. Takes to long to get to a fight.
2. Having to get to a fight, seems like its a sin.
3. Lack of arrows pointing the way, seems to frustrate people.
4. "Luls" (SP? ) in action make people turn off. ( we are talking 1-5 minute here.. )
5. Friendly fire turning off players.
6. Needing a medic turns people off.

World has changed.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:38:09 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #2054 on: November 09, 2012, 02:40:31 PM

With my heavy assault TR toon, I keep on getting insta killed by VS Nova rifles. Anyone else experiencing this? Its gotten so bad I am sorta losing heart.

The Nova is a shotgun and well, i don't feel like I can one shot anyone with it when I use it. Feels like it takes at least 3 shots to bring someone down.

Maybe it will if you get a head shot, but in general i feel like I get faster kills with the second Medic weapon than the shotgun.

Chaff once every 30 seconds right? Massed AA brings down aircraft fast

I have nothing to do this weekend so I've been reading the last few pages of this thread to see what people think and I honestly still have little idea.  Do you guys like this or not?

I like it. Its not nearly as fun when you're not in an organized group, but as soon as you are things get pretty fun.

If you go alone you don't have a medic to heal you or you are a medic. The number of people going alone means that a lot of people end up as medics and then they get rolled by heavy/light assaults. If they go heavy/light assault they get rolled by heavy/light assaults who have medic backups.

A strong squad makeup is pretty much entirely composed of heavy assaults/light assaults with only a handful of engineers and medics. And organizing that is not easy.
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #2055 on: November 10, 2012, 12:56:11 PM

This fucking game.

I love the game and it can be glorious, but holy shit can it fuck you over sometimes: Pull out AMS Sunderer, explode on spawn because some moron was apparently doing laps through the vehicle bay (both our sunderers blew up). Bye Bye 400 vehicle resources. No biggie, pull out tricked out Vanguard, drive 100m out of the facility, game crashes. Bye bye 250 vehicle resources.

So I switched sides and played Vanu Frogger with my Lightning at The Crown till weapons lock.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2056 on: November 11, 2012, 05:01:07 PM

Its the same thing going around in many reviews/previews right now:

1. Takes to long to get to a fight.
2. Having to get to a fight, seems like its a sin.
3. Lack of arrows pointing the way, seems to frustrate people.
4. "Luls" (SP? ) in action make people turn off. ( we are talking 1-5 minute here.. )
5. Friendly fire turning off players.
6. Needing a medic turns people off.

World has changed.

What world has changed? Except for "7. Subscription Fee", all of these were complaints of PS1 and kept that niche too.

I hope PS2 does better commerically than the first, even if it's not for me personally. But it mostly doesn't solve many of the first one's problems, and creates some new ones. Maybe MMOFPS is just fundamentally unworkable. But I don't think that can be really known until there's more just one company making them.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #2057 on: November 12, 2012, 09:47:19 AM

Anybody got a link to the beta download? My account shows I'm active, but I didn't get the link, or deleted that email.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2058 on: November 12, 2012, 10:06:02 AM

Anybody got a link to the beta download? My account shows I'm active, but I didn't get the link, or deleted that email.

Not handy, but I think you can access it from your account if you login on the website.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2059 on: November 12, 2012, 11:26:47 AM

Can you all log in right now? My launcher refuses to give me any "install" or "play" button but there's no downtime scheduled apparently. Any idea? I played no problem up to last night, and now I am getting this on two computers. Could you please check if you can launch the game?

EDIT: Nevermind. My provider is fucked.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:52:46 PM by Falconeer »

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2060 on: November 12, 2012, 01:14:47 PM

This this one:

http://www.planetside2.com/download
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2061 on: November 13, 2012, 06:18:44 AM

Customization leak!

Patch notes from Friday:

All servers will come down at 1:15 AM PT for a game update. Downtime is anticipated to be less than 90 minutes. Players may note the following changes:

This war is gearing up and every empire is ready to make a major push. First all the facilities are online and if you want the access to regeneration, tanks, and better turrets? Each facility will provide you one of those bonuses. Get in there and secure them otherwise you are stuck with general issue. Make your empire proud!

Taking bases just got a little tougher recruit and there is no more flip flop capturing. You want to hold a facility you are going to have to earn it with our new tug or war style system. A strong squad (or bring a platoon) will ensure success more easily and feel free to make use of the new cover around capture points if you get pinned down.

General:

The first phase of the new player experience has been added.
    Base facility ownership bonuses have been added.
    Tug of War capture mechanics have replaced the ticket system.
    Infantry jump height has been reduced slightly.
    Shields should now regenerate in a vehicle.
    Pain fields have been reimplemented at spawn points.

Notable Bug Fixes:

The southwest Heyoka Tech Plant landing pad will now resupply friendly aircraft.
    Ikanam Bio Lab terminals will now spawn MBTs.
    Litchcorp Secure Mine now has AV and AA Phalanx turrets as intended.
    Players should now receive resources while in Phalanx turrets.
    Ikanam Bio Lab Teleporters and Forward Spawns should now change empire when captured.

Known Issue:

Adjustments have been made to stats which may provide unexpected behavior. We anticipate this to be completely resolved with the next character wipe.
    Music may play unexpectedly and at inopportune times during base capture.

Weapons:

New weapons are now available for certifications.
    Sniper Rifles now have additional attachments.
    The grenade warning indicator radius has been increased slightly.
    The Strong Arm and Pitcher certifications have been removed.
    Explosives and mines will now be persistent even when a class is changed.
    Grenades should now explode even after death.
    The MANA Turret certifications are now available. Each rank will decrease overheat time.

Classes:

Resist Shield now has a movement penalty when active.
    The MAX certifications trees have been renamed. Ammo storage Canisters is now under utilities.
    MAX Kinetic Armor will now only resist small arms fire.
    Heavy Assault AA weapons now do less damage.

World:

A number of facilities have additional defenses such as turrets, gates, cover, and more restrictive vehicle access added to them.
    Ownership of certain facilities will provide bonuses to empires on each continent:
        Biolab - Ownership of a biolab will provide health regeneration.
        Tech Plant - A Tech Plant is now required to spawn the Main Battle Tank (Vanguard, Prowler, Magrider).
        Amp Station - An Amp station reduces the time to overheat Phalanx turrets.

Capturing all contested territories in a continent will provide a temporary bonus to the controlling empire:
        Indar - Reduction of cost for items purchased with Infantry resources.
        Esamir - Reduction of cost for vehicles purchased with mechanized resources.
        Amerish - Reduction of cost for aircraft purchased with aerospace resources.
    Capture mechanics have changed. Please see this thread for specifics on Tug of War capture.

Vehicles:

Landing should be improved for aircraft with landing gear, it should be much easier to land and take no damage.
    Skyguard magazine size has been increased from 40 to 50.
    The recoil on the 120mm Prowler cannons has been reduced.
    Tanks are now more resistant to aircraft machines guns.
    Sunderer:
        AMS terminals now work on the sides. Terminals have been removed from the back.
        Visuals have been added for AMS and Ammo attachments.
    Galaxy:
        The Galaxy is now more resistant to Flak damage.
    Liberator:
        The resistance to most damage has been increased.
        The cone of the fire on the Tank Buster Cannon has been improved.
        The 105mm cannon has increased damage, projectile speed, and a lower reload time.
        The projectile speed of the 150mm cannon has been increased.
        The Shredder has increased damage.
    Fighters
        Air to Air missiles now have increased damage and lock on range.
        Rotary cannons now do less damage.
        Rocket Pods now have reduced damage and increased reload speed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:46:23 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2062 on: November 13, 2012, 07:06:10 AM

General:

The first phase of the new player experience has been added.

I played a fair amount since Friday and I haven't seen any trace of the "New Player Experience". What part of is supposed to be in the game yet?

WayAbvPar

Reply #2063 on: November 13, 2012, 08:29:37 AM

It desperately needs a tutorial. I played last night and had 4 other people explaining things to me on TS, and I was still almost completely clueless. If I was playing alone I would have quit 10 minutes into it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2064 on: November 13, 2012, 08:30:04 AM

Check your inbox's, any one currently playing may have 5 keys to pass out. We have 8 days to go for launch, but, still. Keys.

What world has changed?

Some games simply can not be in the "30 minute bite" rule. You can see them striving for it with this game, in turn it invalidates having a massive world in the first place. What has changed, is now 5 minutes of not shooting is seen as a deficiency. They keep chasing this down  to try to remove it. To the point of it being in the base designs themselves ( Defenders Disadvantaged and urged to move along after the first life/assault of said base. The dam spawn buildings are on the perimeter of bases. Causing them to be the first things surrounded in an attack )

Chasing this design point is wrong for a game like Planetside, and its the thing that bothers me the most.

It does need a tutorial. I have not seen what they have added. They have talked about letting people use any weapon for a short time to be able to "test it". Personally, I think that's a terrible idea to give someone something, then take it away in the live setting. But this is another issue THEY created. With the removal of sanctuaries, and the opposition to anything that worked in the original that seem pervasive in this development. They completely remove the possibility, utility and clarity of purpose of the VR area in favor of the above. Its slightly mid boggling. But completely inline with "If you are not shooting, we are failing" mentality.

Here is the new "Tutorial":

AGN PlanetSide 2 Instant Action: Nov 10 Patch Review

They show you a short video, then drop you into a battle. Live.  Facepalm

"If you are not shooting, we are failing". Anyone Miss Sanctuaries yet?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:50:20 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: