Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:10:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724794 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1715 on: August 09, 2012, 09:06:38 AM

You're not the only one who cares, just the one who cares the loudest.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1716 on: August 10, 2012, 12:34:48 PM

I'm not quoting it but I care, too.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1717 on: August 10, 2012, 04:48:58 PM

By the way... if you have station cash and are in Europe. They are going to be using some sort of different currency with PS2...

Vectoron
I'm in Europe and already have a bunch of Station Cash sitting on my account ready for PlanetSide2. Europe players are now having to use Pro7, what happens to all our Station

walabond
   does this mean european players who bought a bunch of "station cash" specifically for Planetside 2 are going to get screwed over?

j_smedley
     hmm. i think that's kind of a loaded question - we shared that PS2 was part of the Prosieben deal. If you feel personally screwed email me at jsmedley@soe.sony.com and I will see you get refunded personally.

So there's your chance to get money from Sony.

Oh....

This is a shame. I would have played this but life is too short for bullshit region locking on internet games.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1718 on: August 11, 2012, 01:13:29 AM

I picked up one of the NVidia beta keys last night. For some weird reason, it then told me I'd gotten into the Technical Test and received immediate beta access.

Cue two hours of drunk fun.

awesome, for real
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1719 on: August 11, 2012, 10:40:17 AM

Mob

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1720 on: August 11, 2012, 09:56:37 PM

I'm not quoting it but I care, too.

I care as well, but I'm remaining silent because, well... NDA

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1721 on: August 13, 2012, 12:44:31 PM

Striking:

Also, all "vets" should be in on next Monday ( 20, Aug ).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:46:54 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1722 on: August 13, 2012, 12:48:49 PM

Also, all "vets" should be in on next Monday ( 20, Aug ).

Not all  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1723 on: August 13, 2012, 12:50:21 PM

AFAIK, he is referring to anyone who payed a sub in the past.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1724 on: August 14, 2012, 07:21:25 AM

Planetside 2 - Biolab tour - Outposts & Towers

Oh, Also.

12 man squads, 4 squad platoons are the current numbers. Gal holds a full squad.

This is a shame. I would have played this but life is too short for bullshit region locking on internet games.

I'm not aware of the game being region locked, NA can play on EU, ETC...

Now, the cash shop currency needs to be bought through the regional vender. That's about it. AFAIK. I also still wonder of there is going to be Steam wallet integration as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:54:43 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1725 on: August 16, 2012, 11:11:42 AM

PlanetSide 2 Take the Power

Also:

At Gamescom, Planetside 2 is squirrelled away at the back of the one of Koelnmesse's vast halls, kind of tiny and unassuming. It was, after a brief chat with DayZ designer Dean "Rocket" Hall, my first port of call. In the booth, SOE are letting players come and go on banks of PCs. But it's just running. Planetside 2. Just there, open to the public to come and go.

It works.

Planetside 2 feels way too good to be true. It's a stupidly ambitious FPS, the kind of game dreams are made of: a perpetual online war between players waged across continents. My fear had been a simple one: that it would have to be at least as good an FPS as Battlefield or Tribes, but you know, big. In the previous game, that scale meant compromises. Guns that didn't feel like guns. Odd movement physics. Planetside 2 doesn't have that. It just works.

I played for at least an hour, defending a tower from waves of foes. It brought back great, great memories. By the end of it, I wasn't just convinced that Planetside 2 was going to work. I was absolutely entranced. The basic mechanics are essentially the same as those of the first game. You join a squad, you can spawn on that squad via a drop-pod falling out of the sky. You can spot targets by pressing the Q button. You shoot guns by pressing the... You know all of this stuff already. It just works.

Here's what made it special. In the heat of Gamescom, with players coming and going, with an unfamiliar mouse, with people still trying to work out the game, with everything set against it, I think I just played the most fun round of guns for years. There was a moment - I spawn with my squad, two guys in MAX suits, the other a sniper, and we're creeping toward the objective. It's night, so tracer rounds are lighting up the tower we're fighting over. The guns far above us sound distant and quiet - a calm kind of shootout.

We come across another squad and scatter; MAX suits pounding away. I drop to a crouch and take aim - as another player spots the rest of the opposition. It's all over in a second. We're congratulating oursleves by jumping up and down and being hilarious when a enemy Vanu tank crests the hill and takes aim. Ffffuuuuuuuu.

It's just a tiny moment, a snapshot of a battle. Not even that interesting. But it felt so right, so real. Even on a throwaway account on an anonymous machine in a separate country, you could feel the weight of the war that would continue without you.

Holy shit. It works.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:23:23 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1726 on: August 16, 2012, 12:03:42 PM

"At least as good as battlefield..."

Is that good enough? Because the original was far more ambitious than that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1727 on: August 16, 2012, 12:14:58 PM

I think he meant mechanics-wise. The original was definitely kinda wonky in the shooter parts.

My main question from that quote is "Did Rocket punch him in the nuts during the interview?"
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1728 on: August 16, 2012, 12:25:26 PM

Will PS2 be true F2P or half-assed F2P like the other Sony MMO.  This seems critical since true F2P would put it on same playing field as other top of the line shooters.

"Me am play gods"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1729 on: August 16, 2012, 12:33:37 PM

Not sure what you mean by true, or half-assed.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1730 on: August 16, 2012, 01:09:33 PM

Heheh... get off my soapbox you charlatan

That was a rather horrible quote - but seems rather fitting for the type this game will pull in, chew up, spit out until the next rendition of COD/BF comes out. The reference to Battlefield but bigger is pretty much all you have to read up to in order to gauge this person's interest. At first (and might be still) I was assuming he was talking about the mechanics, but then going off on his little adventure with his squad of four (thought this was BIG) taking down another squad (of how many? and why?) - great the game looks good and operates well... what was the objective, why were you there, what was the other squad doing out there? Meh, don't care... just go shoot stuff.

I can see the game doing well right up to the point where hacking and exploiting start pushing into the scene...so couple hours after release. Then the next iteration of BF will come out and off they'll go back to their couches - big huge battles with no purpose played on a PC only will not cut it for long... especially for kiddies who sport the iPad/console deal. I wanted to like this game at one point... now I am just grumpy.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1731 on: August 16, 2012, 01:13:07 PM

"Me am play gods"
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1732 on: August 16, 2012, 05:43:55 PM

Sony Online Entertainment’s president, John Smedley, has revealed that an Australian server may be planned for PlanetSide 2. Responding to a Twitter post relating to Australian interest in the game he tweeted: “honestly we are just going to bite the bullet and put a server down there.”

Heart , interest level x 1000.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1733 on: August 16, 2012, 06:01:34 PM

That was a rather horrible quote - but seems rather fitting for the type this game will pull in, chew up, spit out until the next rendition of COD/BF comes out. The reference to Battlefield but bigger is pretty much all you have to read up to in order to gauge this person's interest. At first (and might be still) I was assuming he was talking about the mechanics, but then going off on his little adventure with his squad of four (thought this was BIG) taking down another squad (of how many? and why?) - great the game looks good and operates well... what was the objective, why were you there, what was the other squad doing out there? Meh, don't care... just go shoot stuff.

I can see the game doing well right up to the point where hacking and exploiting start pushing into the scene...so couple hours after release. Then the next iteration of BF will come out and off they'll go back to their couches - big huge battles with no purpose played on a PC only will not cut it for long... especially for kiddies who sport the iPad/console deal. I wanted to like this game at one point... now I am just grumpy.
Are you going to be the PS2 Simond?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1734 on: August 16, 2012, 06:43:09 PM

It may still be me. I'll play it, but it it turns out to be a glorified BF on a massive scale, I'm out.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1735 on: August 17, 2012, 12:02:07 AM

I wanted to like this game at one point... now I am just grumpy.

So scuttle off to another thread and stop trying to poop on other people's fun. If you don't like something, don't publicly flagellate yourself over it; just go find something else that's fun. It's not like the industry is starving people for games these days.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1736 on: August 17, 2012, 01:09:20 AM

I've been sitting in the ProSieben booth at Gamescom right now, they are doing a crazy amount of stuff for PS2. I'm not sure why the guy earlier said that it was 'squirrelled away at the back' of Gamescom, there's a huge booth in Hall 8 (the big one where all the e-sports stuff, Wargaming.net, Arenanet and Riot are) There are a bunch of giant booths in there and the PS2 one is as big as the others.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1737 on: August 17, 2012, 10:20:16 AM

Personally I just feel hyped out. Since the first day beta registration opened, to getting a key from E3, to various official and NDA livestreams to my present still betaless state I've become depleted of interest.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1738 on: August 17, 2012, 10:48:52 AM

So far it looks OK and a solid shooter but kind of disappointed by the lack of a wow factor, or compelling epic/persistent elements.

I would like to be corrected if I am misinformed but...

Resource system is mostly meaningless, and just to throttle vehicle spawning.

Outfits very limited, basically just clans. Few political elements, not much in the way of trophies either like with massive success an outfit could build a massive base fortress that could produce unique vehicles.

No epic vehicles either like BF2142 Titan or future vehicles like mechs. Just usual assortment of battle tanks, jeeps, gunships reskinned to look more future-ish. Hell each faction only has 2 unique vehicles...
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #1739 on: August 17, 2012, 11:08:01 PM

No epic vehicles either like BF2142 Titan or future vehicles like mechs. Just usual assortment of battle tanks, jeeps, gunships reskinned to look more future-ish. Hell each faction only has 2 unique vehicles...

You say that, but a giant pack of 12 tanks, jeeps, or gunships is pretty epic IMO.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1740 on: August 20, 2012, 11:39:04 AM

Check your emails...

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1741 on: August 20, 2012, 12:49:04 PM

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1742 on: August 20, 2012, 02:11:18 PM

Goto:

http://www.planetside2.com/download

If you can download, you are in.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1743 on: August 21, 2012, 06:52:05 AM

Yeah, I got in last night and played for a few hours. It's.... Yeah. One night is all it took to lose interest. It's a mess. It's very, very beta. I'll give it another try in a few months.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1744 on: August 21, 2012, 08:22:43 AM

NDA

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1745 on: August 21, 2012, 04:21:50 PM

Yeah, I got in last night and played for a few hours. It's.... Yeah. One night is all it took to lose interest. It's a mess. It's very, very beta. I'll give it another try in a few months.
Are you under NDA?
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1746 on: August 21, 2012, 04:47:14 PM

CONFIDENTIALITY:
When you accept our Game Testing Agreement, you will, among other things, agree that everything associated with the Beta program is considered confidential information, and you may not discuss it with anyone except SOE and other players through the PlanetSide 2 Beta forums until SOE lifts the confidentiality obligations or the game has been commercially released.

So,  NDA

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1747 on: August 22, 2012, 01:40:17 PM

Mine was in my junk mail.  A prophetic sign maybe? awesome, for real
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1748 on: August 26, 2012, 12:42:07 PM

I'm in the camp of the more bullshit you put in front of me and shooting someone in the face, the more I want to log off and play something else. There is no shortage of games for organized noob slaughter with over 2 buddies.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1749 on: August 27, 2012, 06:15:44 AM

I'm in the camp of the more bullshit you put in front of me and shooting someone in the face, the more I want to log off and play something else. There is no shortage of games for organized noob slaughter with over 2 buddies.

Then why bother caring abour ps2 in the first place.  Last thing I want is them trying to appease people that dont even like the idea of their game in the first place.  I am not saying they need to include bullshit for the sake of bullshit, but a strategic layer is what makes the game interesting in the first place.  You are right that there is no shortage... so why try to compete with it.  Do something different and do it well.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: