Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:14:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724968 times)
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #1645 on: July 20, 2012, 05:33:52 PM

I will probably be playing this. I need a repayable FPS in my game lineup. I don't really have one I am that interested in.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1646 on: July 20, 2012, 10:03:27 PM

I am softening my "Fuck this game" theme with the new info, but not by much.
Ha! Heh. Ahem.

I'll be in. I loved Planetside but the intervening years haven't been kind to online gameplay jackassery or my tolerance thereof. So we'll see the level of commitment I have to sparkle republic.

Sparkle Conglomerate be damned, I'll be there, but my, "we're catering to a playerbase that'll bail on us as soon as Black Ops 2 launches", sense is still tingling.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1647 on: July 21, 2012, 02:25:36 AM

It's either that or cater to the player base who will bail as soon as Guild Wars 2 launches.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1648 on: July 21, 2012, 06:47:49 AM

It's either that or cater to the player base who will bail as soon as Guild Wars 2 launches.

Well, or cater to the 10k people who have proven they care about a proper MMOFPS - but yeah, that isn't realistic.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1649 on: July 21, 2012, 08:22:52 AM

Doubtful. Two vastly different audiences. 'Side GW2 will launch before this thing is out of beta.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1650 on: July 21, 2012, 09:38:07 AM

Yeah, my timing was off.

My point was that if I was SOE, I'd be more interested in the massive market of online FPS players than the much smaller, just as fickle group of MMORPG players. Especially if I could get it out on the PS3 as well as the PC.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1651 on: July 21, 2012, 02:41:37 PM

Yeah, but that still is probably the wrong audience. Or at least, the wrong audience to cater solely to. If you want stickiness, you've got to throw something in there that makes people want to stay rather than jump ship when generic shooter 1138 drops.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1652 on: July 21, 2012, 02:45:47 PM

They said they're done with invites for a week or so. No need to F5 your mailbox.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1653 on: July 23, 2012, 08:45:21 AM

Well, or cater to the 10k people who have proven they care about a proper MMOFPS - but yeah, that isn't realistic.
That's really the thing. You can sit and point at where PS1 stumbled from it's amazing potential, but that's not going to sell it to the suits. They just see a product that limped along for years.

My opinion is just to take it at face value and if it's fun, awesome. If not, oh well, at least they tried.

And really, if they can recoup development plus a nice egg on top from the fickle on both sides we could see another PS1 situation where the game stays live for years while still getting some development time. Which, if the game is fun, is not the worst thing.

There is no way it's going to be seen as a success by the suits at SOE, expectations for mmo/f2p stuff is so bubbled right now.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1654 on: July 24, 2012, 06:37:25 PM

They said they're done with invites for a week or so. No need to F5 your mailbox.
Where'd you get this information? I ask because I have it on good authority that this is bollocks.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #1655 on: July 24, 2012, 07:31:40 PM

Yea, i just got a mail inviting me into the technical test. [Their confidentiality agreement does not prohibit confirming you're in the beta, just saying anything other than that.]
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1656 on: July 24, 2012, 10:06:06 PM

What Goumindong said...

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1657 on: July 25, 2012, 03:38:34 AM

Where'd you get this information? I ask because I have it on good authority that this is bollocks.

Yeah, I should have thunk twice before believing Smedley's tweets.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1658 on: July 25, 2012, 06:37:48 AM

Yea, i just got a mail inviting me into the technical test. [Their confidentiality agreement does not prohibit confirming you're in the beta, just saying anything other than that.]

What are your machine specs if I my ask?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1659 on: July 25, 2012, 07:03:01 AM

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley

Monday or Tuesday of next week. Absolutely not sure which. Can't guarantee either day for sure. That's best info for now

Hes talking about beta.

Also:

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley

Surprise. A bit more tech test invites being sent out.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #1660 on: July 25, 2012, 10:54:49 AM

Reposting patch notes and forum posts to build enthusiasm for a product, I get. But retweeting to a forum? awesome, for real

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1661 on: July 25, 2012, 12:08:49 PM

Twitter is the main info feed for the Tech test and beta. Those two tweets directly address the current thread conversation.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #1662 on: July 25, 2012, 12:54:15 PM

What are your machine specs if I my ask?

I do not believe the specifications of my machine could be construed to be confidential information.

Intel Core i7 2600
16GB ram[way more than i need]

64 bit windows 7 on an OCZ 64GB solid state drive with a 2 TB Hitachi 5200 RPM drive for data/programs

1GB AMD Radeon HD 6670

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1663 on: July 25, 2012, 02:35:34 PM

For comparison's sake:

2.7ghz i7
16 gigs of RAM

Doze 7 on a 768gig SSD
1gig GT650M pushing 2880 x 1800

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1664 on: July 26, 2012, 07:45:46 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1665 on: July 26, 2012, 08:29:13 AM

Fully badass trailer.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1666 on: July 26, 2012, 08:30:41 AM

This one is better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOZrMAmI-jI

Be sure to check the tags and description of their trailer since it's simultaneously hilarious and awful.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1667 on: July 27, 2012, 02:21:37 AM

Jet Packs? Do I have a black hole in my memory? I don't remember stupid jet packs on pedestrians in Planetside. This wasn't supposed to be another fuckin Tribes, was it? Disappointment.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1668 on: July 27, 2012, 02:31:09 AM

PlanetSide did not have jet picks. However in PlanetSide 2 the Light Assault class does.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1669 on: July 27, 2012, 04:33:55 AM

Fuckin' barney cloakers...

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1670 on: July 27, 2012, 06:02:56 AM

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/228681466882707457

John Smedley
‏@j_smedley

@RedditSide it's coming. We have a lot of plans for player bases on empty continents with just resources

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1671 on: July 27, 2012, 06:56:13 AM

It was just a dream sequence.  No NC could ever be that effective.

The roommate did point out how it was true to PS1 though:  NC and TR fighting it out in an epic battle, then the Vanu show up going, "Hai guys!".

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
WayAbvPar

Reply #1672 on: July 27, 2012, 08:17:22 AM

So apparently I need to check my email more often... awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #1673 on: July 27, 2012, 10:36:58 AM

It was just a dream sequence.  No NC could ever be that effective.

The roommate did point out how it was true to PS1 though:  NC and TR fighting it out in an epic battle, then the Vanu show up going, "Hai guys!".
In all our fights it was always the NC coming along with the "Hai guys!"

Usually just through dicking around with a platoon playing tower defense.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1674 on: July 27, 2012, 10:45:49 AM

When I played Vanu had a pop disadvantage so it was us (NC) against TR most of the time. Which was fine with me since since that meant more OP chain guns to collect awesome, for real
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1675 on: July 27, 2012, 12:41:56 PM

So apparently I need to check my email more often... awesome, for real

Mob

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1676 on: July 31, 2012, 12:13:31 AM

Quote from: John Smedley ‏@j_smedley

Sounds like they've got a few more problems to iron out before closed beta. Keep it in your pants for another week.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1677 on: August 03, 2012, 11:08:01 AM

I'm sorta looking forward to this, but do you think this game will accommodate solo players who just can't grab a clan worth of friends to an mmo.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1678 on: August 03, 2012, 11:12:40 AM

Absolutely. It's an FPS. Being in a squad, even a random one, has its advantages though and there's plenty of pubbie platoons out there that take aboard anyone if you're looking for more co-op style gameplay.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1679 on: August 03, 2012, 11:17:25 AM

Cool. The only thing left to know is how reasonable is the time of death.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: