Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:41:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724212 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1610 on: July 16, 2012, 09:18:40 AM

Tech test?  swamp poop

These kids and their new-fangled vernacular.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1611 on: July 16, 2012, 10:03:41 AM

Right. the correct term is "shit show".

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1612 on: July 16, 2012, 11:07:11 AM

Stress test, Tech test. Same thing. Kinda of a big deal for a title that supposedly supports 1000's int he same shooter environment.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

Reply #1613 on: July 16, 2012, 11:40:32 AM

Stress test, Tech test. Same thing. Kinda of a big deal for a title that supposedly supports 1000's int he same shooter environment.

Thought this "tech test" was testing a range of hardware configs on a sample of the population's machines that will be playing. Which I don't have a true opinion of other than, meh... probably could have done that inhouse... it IS a part of Sony ffs - though this does give them a hype stage, even though I have not heard anything from anyone about this test (and yes NDA rah rah rah... when has that ever stopped anyone before?)

Stress test? I highly doubt that - that is what the first week or two in any game is for. You wanna stress test it, you use a very open beta and stand by with the fire extinguishers.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1614 on: July 17, 2012, 08:17:37 AM

PlanetSide 2 Cinematic Teaser Trailer
Just a Trailer CGI.

PlanetSide 2 Exclusive Walkthrough
Good overview from PSU admen.

Planetside 2 Beta Gameplay with Matt Higby - at Sony Headquarters
Guided play session with a lot of good info on squads, the store, and so on.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:23:13 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1615 on: July 17, 2012, 11:19:57 AM

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley

More Tech Test invite emails are being sent out shortly. This includes EU and Aussie players. Again this is NOT beta.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1616 on: July 17, 2012, 11:49:30 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1617 on: July 17, 2012, 12:11:44 PM

Big(ish) battle posted ^

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1618 on: July 18, 2012, 10:05:37 AM

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1619 on: July 19, 2012, 07:23:11 AM

One question that I cannot seem to satisfy myself about.  If the MBTs are single driver capable, why would anyone choose a lightning?

I have never played WoW.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1620 on: July 19, 2012, 07:24:46 AM

One question that I cannot seem to satisfy myself about.  If the MBTs are single driver capable, why would anyone choose a lightning?

Lack of tech plant, like in the old one?

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1621 on: July 19, 2012, 07:27:09 AM

If that is the sole differentiator, that would be sad.

I have never played WoW.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1622 on: July 19, 2012, 08:14:16 AM

Lack of tech plant, like in the old one?

A man can dream.

Actually, that would be something that would get me interested in this fiasco again. Dependencies like this would give more value to territory at the expense of the Higby "Come one, come all! No waiting, no thinking, no planning necessary!" shooter framework. Having to capture a type of base in order to unlock certain vehicles just seems like useless waiting, if we are to stick to the theme.  why so serious?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1623 on: July 19, 2012, 08:17:12 AM

There is lots of debate.

It comes down to one camp saying: "Well, with out the second gunner, it wont be at full power" Because, you know, that works so well in the Battlefield series.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1624 on: July 19, 2012, 08:35:51 AM

There is lots of debate.

It comes down to one camp saying: "Well, with out the second gunner, it wont be at full power" Because, you know, that works so well in the Battlefield series.

Wait, the MBT's can have a second person ride along? If so, what do they operate, a chain gun? If so, see Prowler for the least populated gunning position in the game (IMHO).

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1625 on: July 19, 2012, 08:55:57 AM

Right now MBT ( Main battle tanks ) have you as the driver and main gunner. All MBT employ a secondary weapon that can be a Chain gun, or AA or stuff in between ( No details that I know yet ).

There are two reasons they have done this.

1) Battlefield.
2) The magriders main cannon is fixed forward ( What was originally the driver gun ).

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1626 on: July 19, 2012, 10:15:27 AM

What they don't explain is how one MBT with a driver and extra gunner is better than 2 MBTs without the gunners.  They don't explain it because it isn't true.  There might be very limited, special circumstances where the gunner adds significant survivability, but those limited situations would usually be better served by a different vehicle altogether.

MBT + AA Max > MBT + AA gunner in effectiveness and probably TTK, plus the Max guy is having a lot more fun than he would sitting in the tank like a tick.

It is pretty clear that the MBTs have a slot for the second gunner only to make them different than a lightning in a small way, otherwise it is just a more deadly, more heavily armored lightning - which it in effect is.  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:17:47 AM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1627 on: July 19, 2012, 11:07:42 AM

I see this as a good and bad thing. Bad in that it really just promotes rambo'ing in a tank since any extra gunner is going to be minimal (save for AA - a flak cannon on top of a MBT is retardedly OP sounding). The good part is that the driver will have to drive and shoot which makes for an easy target to flank. The whole point of having the driver separate from the guns was the driver is responsible for keeping your asses out of the shit and the gunner to blast away at the shit. I believe they eliminated the first part, which I'll admit, did kinda suck from the extreme fun part... hardly anyone truly enjoyed being a get-away chauffeur except magrider pilots pre-nerf.

I just want to know if bases have a reason or if they are just playgrounds. Territory, I sorta get... what purpose do the bases serve other than CQB areas

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1628 on: July 19, 2012, 11:10:13 AM

Eeeek?!

I'm running Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor!

IS THAT THE SAME THING!!!???  cry
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:12:52 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Terracotta Army

Reply #1629 on: July 19, 2012, 11:13:12 AM

Eeeek?!

Good for Smeds. Draw a line in the sand and don't kneecap your game in order to cater to the lowest common denominator in system specs... That said, I can't wait for the fallout.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1630 on: July 19, 2012, 11:30:26 AM

I just want to know if bases have a reason or if they are just playgrounds. Territory, I sorta get... what purpose do the bases serve other than CQB areas

You get resources for holding and capturing them, which you buy vehicles and grenades and stuff with, which also have their own shopping terminals located around the base. You can convert the main resource, Auraxium, to the other two though. Also each base is individually different in terms of capture points, how they are located and how far from each other. Biolabs are meant to be (pretty looking) indoor infrantry only areas, more CQB if you will. I hope that was what you were asking.

Eeeek?!

I'm certain Core 2 Duo users, according to Steam hardware surveys at least, make up half of the video gaming populace currently. They are making the game future proof, as in that long later you have the chance of playing the game in 9000x8000 with shadows enabled to max view distance. Similarly the guys making MWO only started their Core 2 Duo optimization weeks ago after they began selling pre-order packages. Would it not be more logical to cater to the weaker half of the ~PC gaming master race~ first in terms of performance and then focus on cranking up the visual oohs-and-aahs?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1631 on: July 19, 2012, 11:33:13 AM

Eeeek?!

I'm running Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor!

IS THAT THE SAME THING!!!???  cry
Depends on whether or not the game can use more than 2 cores. If it can't then yes it's effectively the same thing. If it can use more than 2 cores you will get better performance but probably not by a significant amount.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1632 on: July 19, 2012, 11:39:05 AM

Dagnabit.

Guess its time to get a new machine. I knew it was comming.  sad

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #1633 on: July 19, 2012, 01:12:13 PM

I can think of a few reasons

1: Resources
2: Speed
3: Possible armament differences

What they don't explain is how one MBT with a driver and extra gunner is better than 2 MBTs without the gunners.  They don't explain it because it isn't true.  There might be very limited, special circumstances where the gunner adds significant survivability, but those limited situations would usually be better served by a different vehicle altogether.

MBT + AA Max > MBT + AA gunner in effectiveness and probably TTK, plus the Max guy is having a lot more fun than he would sitting in the tank like a tick.

It is pretty clear that the MBTs have a slot for the second gunner only to make them different than a lightning in a small way, otherwise it is just a more deadly, more heavily armored lightning - which it in effect is. 

Even if 2 tanks>1 [and this was true in the original planetside too, 2 partially filled MBT's > 1 fully filled MBT] there should be some situations where it makes sense to only have one

1: Resources: spawning two tanks vs spawning one
2: Specialty characters: An infantry specialized character will probably still be more effective in a tank as compared to on the ground in an outdoor battle. This gives them a way to contribute on the way to an objective without having to spend resources on their own[probably weaker] vehicle

IIRC they also said they have time limits on spawns so you can't spawn things for your friends. This will mean that rambo'ing with vehicles will be less prevalent. Better to keep them alive as long as possible than blow yourself up and be left with nothing or a weaker vehicle on next spawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1634 on: July 19, 2012, 01:47:56 PM

IIRC they also said they have time limits on spawns so you can't spawn things for your friends. This will mean that rambo'ing with vehicles will be less prevalent. Better to keep them alive as long as possible than blow yourself up and be left with nothing or a weaker vehicle on next spawn

Oh god time limits, I can see that getting all kinds of messy since that hardly goes along with the instant action theme. So the reason given to grab someone to gun for you is to keep your MBT alive longer even though they are going to be relegated to "tailgun" duty. I don't see a lot of people not in your outfit or on your friends list wanting to jump in your tank to operate a minor gun - especially since this game is emphasizing kill whoring even more than PS did after the expac.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1635 on: July 19, 2012, 02:25:20 PM

I don't see a problem with spawning a vehicle for someone I'm co-oping with if he's on a timer. Rather that than vehicle spam. Victory through solidarity and all that.

I wish they didn't add the ability to see if enemy vehicles have what number of players in them. In PS1 a way to lure enemy air vehicles to you was to have your AA gunner point turrets forward on your vehicle and making the player aching for a strafing run think there's only a driver. Advanced tactics like make multiplayer more interesting.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1636 on: July 20, 2012, 07:26:34 AM

So, how many of you will be playing this, or at least have decent interest?

At least at launch? I never really considered f13 to be FPS heavy group, so i'm curious.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1637 on: July 20, 2012, 07:47:07 AM

At least at launch? I never really considered f13 to be FPS heavy group, so i'm curious.

I am on a wait and see mode. I am softening my "Fuck this game" theme with the new info, but not by much.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1638 on: July 20, 2012, 07:48:57 AM

It's free, so I'm sure I'll try it for 30 minutes.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1639 on: July 20, 2012, 08:14:13 AM

I am softening my "Fuck this game" theme with the new info, but not by much.
Ha! Heh. Ahem.

I'll be in. I loved Planetside but the intervening years haven't been kind to online gameplay jackassery or my tolerance thereof. So we'll see the level of commitment I have to sparkle republic.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1640 on: July 20, 2012, 10:12:06 AM

Definitely will be playing, but already part of a different group with whom I'll be playing.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1641 on: July 20, 2012, 10:27:10 AM

I'll be in it, no question, and chances are I'll be able to drag some others with me, depending on the pricing scheme.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1642 on: July 20, 2012, 12:25:59 PM

I'm concerned about the reduction in support roles but I will be giving it a try as an NC, of course.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1643 on: July 20, 2012, 12:31:46 PM

For some reason I am getting less and less excited about this.

I can't put my finger on it, probably all the Planetside that is being taken out for the BF.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1644 on: July 20, 2012, 12:52:19 PM

By the looks of it they keep taking in people who own GeForce 600/500 series cards right now.

While there's definitely a strong development orientation to try and get Battlefield-minded people hooked on the cash shop Planetside senior has not aged well at all. The appeal of choosing to avoid taking part in the battles and just go deathracing with friends is still there though.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: