Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:05:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724187 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1470 on: May 18, 2012, 06:22:33 AM

This will launch, get a decent initial playerbase and then, the new Medal of Honor and Black Ops 2 anything will drop and the servers will be ghost towns.
That's every mmo since WoW came out.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1471 on: May 18, 2012, 08:11:12 AM

I think the F2P model will keep populations high enough for decent battles for a good amount of time.  That said, my main concern remains what seems to be very fast TTK, even before headshots.

I have never played WoW.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1472 on: May 18, 2012, 08:24:52 AM

Headshots...  swamp poop

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1473 on: May 18, 2012, 11:38:44 AM

That said, my main concern remains what seems to be very fast TTK
I agree with that.

I do favor hit boxes, because it favors accurate shooting over bunny hoppers, though.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1474 on: May 18, 2012, 12:21:21 PM

That said, my main concern remains what seems to be very fast TTK
I agree with that.

I do favor hit boxes, because it favors accurate shooting over bunny hoppers, though.

And aimbots...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1475 on: May 18, 2012, 12:40:32 PM

Cheaters gon' cheat, no matter what you do.

But it's definitely a prime consideration, fps lives or dies by its cheat prevention imo. Reason #42 why I don't play online fps anymore.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1476 on: May 19, 2012, 07:40:41 PM

I keep going back and forth on interest with this one. At this point, as long as it retains the crazy-ass sized battles of 100+ per side, I'll give it a shot. All these years and PS and WWIIO were the only ones to do it. Every other promise eventually devolved into some stupid public space chat/trade area with 16x16 or maybe 32x32 battle instances.

While I feel "Planetside" was more than just the big battles (it was the coordination, vehicles, hacking, etc tools that compelled emergent behavior), it's not like anyone else has iterated on all that. So if they want to play it safe but still have huge battles, maybe that's enough to keep them separated from run of the mill FPSes.

Aesthetics from that video look awesome.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1477 on: May 21, 2012, 03:47:19 PM

PS2 has sharp knees!

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1478 on: May 23, 2012, 09:58:10 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1479 on: May 23, 2012, 12:14:06 PM

Higby's been playing Saint's Row again.

Which is AWESOME  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1480 on: May 23, 2012, 12:24:32 PM

Personally, I'm a bit dismayed. While that was all cool and stuff. They turned the bomber into a gunship. Apparently bombs were to much for people to handle in the target audience.

The liberator is no longer a bomber.  cry

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Terracotta Army

Reply #1481 on: May 23, 2012, 01:37:23 PM

There are no words for how fucking dumb the option to make shit look ridiculous is.

Seriously... I know PS was a bit cartoony in the graphics dept and the color schemes for the two throw-away empires were a tad on the flashy side, but it still had a grittiness to it - even the Vanu and their electric light orchestra tended on the darker side of the color spectrum and even the lasher disco spam gave off an electrical vibe as they flew by.

But really...Fucking hearts on the windows? Zebra stripes? Where does that shit fit in terms of three warring sides? Oh yeah... RMT. Decals I am all for... even outrageous shit.

Not too sure about the actual Liberator as a gunship. Two man Libs now... meh. Libs were not all that useful for infantry anyway. Carpet a courtyard and the fight moves indoors. Vehicles however... of course no AMSs means why bomb in the first place. Your AMS is flying around now so go for the AA guns. I wouldn't be surprised if they created a bombing loadout for the Reaver. It probably comes with fuzzy dice and 22"s.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1482 on: May 23, 2012, 02:22:03 PM

Seems I was a bit off. I went back through the video and took screen shots of the tool tips.

Looks like they removed bombs, and added....well, fired bombs. Of course, as stated in the video, a lot of this is for testing, and may not make it to the finial game.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1483 on: May 24, 2012, 07:12:35 AM

BW, how are the bomber options not in the belly gun? Seems to me like they made it a more versatile vehicle, which is cool.
There are no words for how fucking dumb the option to make shit look ridiculous is.
You and about a dozen other people here need a new hobby. Here's an exercise: for the next month only talk about things you like.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1484 on: May 24, 2012, 07:22:56 AM

BW, how are the bomber options not in the belly gun? Seems to me like they made it a more versatile vehicle, which is cool.
You and about a dozen other people here need a new hobby. Here's an exercise: for the next month only talk about things you like.

Really?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1485 on: May 24, 2012, 08:16:02 AM

I'm going to assume its for  Alpha testing. They may have just been adding guns to any slot just to test the guns themselves. It does seem bass-ackwards. I would not take that as finial positions or load out options.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1486 on: May 24, 2012, 09:41:11 AM

Really?  Ohhhhh, I see.
You haven't been nearly as bad as several people have been about just hating on everything. That post just triggered the reaction about the general anti-gaming sentiment that's been going on around here for a while.

Also, zebra print loverator is awesome.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1487 on: May 24, 2012, 10:01:55 AM

Maybe it's my inner gun nerd conflicting with my gaming nerd, but it strikes me as odd that they seem to be using a different gun for what would normally be an ammo choice.  For example, they have a 150mm gun that seems to be firing a type of HE ammunition that requires a direct hit, then a 150mm gun firing HEAT rounds that emphasize blast over penetration and third type that only fires guided rounds.  Also they seem to be confused about what  HE and HEAT rounds actually are.  Real HEAT rounds sacrifice blast effect to optimize armor penetration and HE rounds are designed to maximize blast and fragmentation.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1488 on: May 24, 2012, 10:37:41 AM

Really?  Ohhhhh, I see.
You haven't been nearly as bad as several people have been about just hating on everything. That post just triggered the reaction about the general anti-gaming sentiment that's been going on around here for a while.

Also, zebra print loverator is awesome.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Facepalm

...if this was Saint Row...sure, I could go with it. In fact, if SOE would name this game anything other than Planetside, I'd be ok with it. This is a Planetside game in name only. Might as well give us custom armors complete with red afros, striped pants, and big shoes. I have been stoning this abomination since Higby first started in about how cool this game is going to be - other stuff I hardly bitch about full on. Gripes and peeves, sure, but this game deserves my vitriol.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1489 on: May 24, 2012, 10:58:37 AM

I don't see how custom textures makes it planetside in name only. Being an RTS would make it planetside in name only.

This appears from it's core to be Planetside, and fun. The custom textures are silly, but the gameplay is pure planetside from what I've seen.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1490 on: May 24, 2012, 11:50:16 AM

People here go apeshit about minor issues like vehicle boarding animations, you can't expect reasonable reactions.

They've chosen f2p model over subscription, that means they need to do stuff like this to generate revenue (otherwise it's by selling +1 gear).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1491 on: May 24, 2012, 12:58:01 PM

...and you get to shoot the kind of person who would fly the lovenator RIGHT IN THE FACE.

So...it builds community and rivalries in an organic fashion.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1492 on: May 24, 2012, 03:49:22 PM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1493 on: May 24, 2012, 07:25:21 PM

I wonder how far back they'll dial those graphics for release. It's an mmo tradition, like nobody understands the word scalability or knows how to make a slider. Just because Joe Pwn moves the slider all the way to the right on his circa 2005 pc doesn't mean we remove it for everyone.

Oh wait, yeah it does  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1494 on: May 24, 2012, 09:10:06 PM

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1495 on: May 24, 2012, 09:36:07 PM

People here go apeshit about minor issues like vehicle boarding animations, you can't expect reasonable reactions.

They've chosen f2p model over subscription, that means they need to do stuff like this to generate revenue (otherwise it's by selling +1 gear).

That last bit redeemed your post. Your first sentence, shut the fuck up.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1496 on: May 25, 2012, 12:51:06 AM

I will gladly pay $10 for leopard-print armor and neon tank skins if it will make the zealous hardcore weep tears of blood. Even better if there's 3D-positioned local voice chat and I can do Call Me Maybe drive-bys to shatter your immersion.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1497 on: May 25, 2012, 07:45:23 AM

Zerbra like camouflage is somewhat common on aircraft, I have no issue with it. The hearts... No one will ever see them really...

Now, I do wonder about common pool items, and visual identification as to faction. I didn't really see much on that modded lib that would tell me what faction it was. Are we now supposed to rely on red arrows over head, the BF 3D spotting system they copy pasta, or on hover rednames for IFF?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1498 on: May 25, 2012, 08:25:11 AM

To my earlier point, if they're pushing customization for monetization, what kind of hit is visual quality going to take when you have a couple hundred people with 5 different customizations (plus loadouts) all winging around the area?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1499 on: May 25, 2012, 09:32:24 AM

a lot as far as performance, not sure about requiring reduction other than on the fly or user set. I think its the number one driving factor as to why they removed so many original vehicles. However, PS1 was all front loaded assets, Ps2 uses disk streaming, mitigates some overhead, but its still an issue.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1500 on: May 25, 2012, 09:23:14 PM

I will gladly pay $10 for leopard-print armor and neon tank skins if it will make the zealous hardcore weep tears of blood. Even better if there's 3D-positioned local voice chat and I can do Call Me Maybe drive-bys to shatter your immersion.

For the end of that video alone, I will buy her first album. Who cares if the wife just clued me in that Bieber discovered her.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1501 on: May 26, 2012, 03:17:02 AM

Normally I skip youtubes.  Thanks!

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1502 on: May 26, 2012, 07:39:59 AM

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:46:06 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1503 on: May 30, 2012, 07:32:16 AM

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:25:50 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1504 on: May 31, 2012, 11:16:29 AM

Not really a big surprise, since he's had great access thus far.

I wish they'd balance it with a partnership with Simon and Lewis :)
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: