Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:24:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 724212 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1050 on: January 06, 2012, 03:56:30 AM

I am now filled with dread.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1051 on: January 06, 2012, 10:48:08 AM

Based on the video or the9 partnership?  I imagine the latter since that worries me too.  I have a hard time picturing Chinese gamers as anything but Vanu, though.

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1052 on: January 06, 2012, 10:51:10 AM

I believe they also ran the Chinese version of Planetside.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

Reply #1053 on: January 06, 2012, 11:07:59 AM

Based on the video or the9 partnership?  I imagine the latter since that worries me too.  I have a hard time picturing Chinese gamers as anything but Vanu, though.

All of it.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1054 on: January 06, 2012, 01:28:29 PM

Ya know, for awhile (and somewhere way earleir in this thread), I've been really curious why this brand had enough cache to be worth receiving a facelift. But it finally occured to me that nine years later, this game still stands as unique. With the right business model, better graphics and not needing to work on 56kbps modems, it'll be fun to screw around in it again. It won't dethrone MW anymore than it did Halo back then. But SOE seems smart enough at this point to manage their own expectations there, and plan appropriately.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1055 on: January 08, 2012, 12:26:58 PM

Games that people can flow into and out of easily should have some viability.  Planetisde 2 just shouldn't get carried away on expansions.  In fact, there should be none.  Update the game for everyone.

I have never played WoW.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: January 08, 2012, 03:29:54 PM

Games that people can flow into and out of easily should have some viability.  Planetisde 2 just shouldn't get carried away on expansions.  In fact, there should be none.  Update the game for everyone.

Given that is seems likely that it will be free to play (maybe this is even confirmed?) I doubt there will be anything like an expansion.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1057 on: January 08, 2012, 05:00:34 PM

There will likely be content gated behind a paywall though. SOE's DCUO has had extra areas added that you have to buy to unlock (i.e. $10 for the Lightning Strikes DLC) if you aren't on the sub option.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1058 on: January 08, 2012, 05:05:11 PM

P2P or Sub. I believe is the options.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1059 on: January 08, 2012, 05:36:24 PM

Death to all DLC.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1060 on: January 08, 2012, 06:42:24 PM

P2P or Sub. I believe is the options.

I will sub to start and see what happens from there, I imagine.  I need all the help I can get in FPSes.

I have never played WoW.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1061 on: January 08, 2012, 08:58:31 PM

I will sub cause it's fuckin' Planetside 2. Haven't been at all excited about an MMO in a long damn time. I'm sure I'll be let down.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1062 on: January 09, 2012, 07:49:36 AM

One of the major problems of the original was that they had to make expansions to add/change terrain, cuz the game was poorly designed and they couldn't easily alter the original map terrain.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1063 on: January 09, 2012, 08:31:53 AM

Not without downloading the entire map again. No. I would also not necessarily say it was badly designed. The inability to alter maps was directly tied to collision. Its more a sign of the times. You can't really compare Planetside world development to a typical MMORPG world development. The collisions are vastly different, and one is way more forgiving where the other simply can't be. IE: A signpost in an RPG can simply have a big box around it, in a FPS, you have to be lots tighter with it, or use the Polysoup. Depends on the items. But as I recall, PS1 maps were compiled to create the collision, as opposed to each item having its own ( Hence moving one things, triggerd clients to redownload ALL of it. (With exception to dynamically placed items, like CE, or BFR Sheds ). Perhaps with the forge light, and 5 years later, this has been solved to an acceptable level. Not to mention, PS1 Front loaded ALL assets into mem ( Hence heavy reuse of textures in new items, or "Variants" ), PS2 appears to have dynamic loading, something way to costly to do years ago on this scale.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1064 on: January 09, 2012, 08:38:56 AM

I just hope the non-FPS combat roles have as much tactical impact as they did in PS.

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1065 on: January 12, 2012, 09:28:23 AM

Nanite Systems was once a small company with a singular focus on Nanotechnology.  With advances in technology allowing their nanites to do everything from mining to manufacturing Nanite Systems has become the single largest of Auraxis’ civilian corporations.  Rather than siding with any one of the three empires battling for control of the planet, Nanite Systems provides services, weapons and vehicles to each equally.  Well built and utilitarian, the Nanite Systems common pool vehicles are utilized in a variety of battlefield situations: the Sunderer and Galaxy are the primary supply and transport vehicles used by each empire, dedicated combat vehicles like the Lightning and Liberator gunship help round out the empire’s military forces and the Quad provides a fast transport and strike craft.

Quad

For soldiers looking to get from point A to point B rapidly, the Quad fits the bill.  It has the highest top speed of any ground vehicle and is easy to acquire.  The only downside is that it is not very tough, relying on its amazing speed and agility as its defense.  In a battlefield where men cannot permanently die, military commanders have seen value in the quad as a flanking vehicle and have created options for several front mounted weapons.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: January 12, 2012, 10:31:10 AM

Ya know, for awhile (and somewhere way earleir in this thread), I've been really curious why this brand had enough cache to be worth receiving a facelift. But it finally occured to me that nine years later, this game still stands as unique. With the right business model, better graphics and not needing to work on 56kbps modems, it'll be fun to screw around in it again. It won't dethrone MW anymore than it did Halo back then. But SOE seems smart enough at this point to manage their own expectations there, and plan appropriately.

One thing about planetside 1 even today was the sheer scope of the fights. As more and more fps games move to consoles you are seeing more 8v8 or 12v12 fights. I find those to be to small I enjoy epic fights with lots of crazy stuff going on. The big three way mosh fests in planetside were simply incredible and nobody else has even tried for this kind of scale of battle.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1067 on: January 12, 2012, 10:50:25 AM

The best part of PS was when a wave of enemy or friendly armor would swoop in on you, temporarily or permanently routing the routing the other side.  It was fun to be either driving the armor or following it to victory.

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1068 on: January 12, 2012, 12:19:30 PM

Or smashing it with a full manned gunship.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #1069 on: January 12, 2012, 12:34:44 PM

Or smashing it with a full manned gunship.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Gunship was so overpower...  swamp poop
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1070 on: January 12, 2012, 12:36:21 PM

And two circling a base was glorious. OP? If you hard problems with the flying brick, your fault!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:38:54 PM by Mrbloodworth »

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1071 on: January 12, 2012, 12:55:36 PM

It would be hard to balance, but I always thought it was nuts to have to land to repair aircraft. I mean, shooting nano particles into a machine should be possible from inside the machine while it is moving.  Maybe deactivate offensive systems while repairs happen.

I have never played WoW.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: January 12, 2012, 01:03:18 PM

All it ever took in Planetside to turn the tide of battle was ten guys.  If you could just get ten guys on the ball and hit a base with ten Reavers, five tanks, or three Liberators, or just drop eight REXOs and a couple MAXes on the generator, you could significantly impact events.  A zerg's disorganized numbers tended to fold without putting up much of a struggle if three bombers were simultaneously carpeting the courtyard and walls, and rarely did enough random players guard the CC and generators to stand up against ten guys suddenly busting through the door.  An organized squad more or less required another oragnized squad to resist it, which is something I always liked about the game.  Fifty random idiots spraying guns everywhere were not effective against coordinated groups.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: January 12, 2012, 01:31:52 PM

All it ever took in Planetside to turn the tide of battle was ten guys.  If you could just get ten guys on the ball and hit a base with ten Reavers, five tanks, or three Liberators, or just drop eight REXOs and a couple MAXes on the generator, you could significantly impact events.  A zerg's disorganized numbers tended to fold without putting up much of a struggle if three bombers were simultaneously carpeting the courtyard and walls, and rarely did enough random players guard the CC and generators to stand up against ten guys suddenly busting through the door.  An organized squad more or less required another oragnized squad to resist it, which is something I always liked about the game.  Fifty random idiots spraying guns everywhere were not effective against coordinated groups.

Or one cloaker in an enemy spawn room with a Pounder MAX cert and Adv Hacking. God I do miss those days...

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1074 on: January 13, 2012, 06:51:31 AM

I never had the patience for cloaking.

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1075 on: January 13, 2012, 02:16:41 PM

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:29:28 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #1076 on: January 13, 2012, 02:43:27 PM

What am I looking at, the new Liberator?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1077 on: January 13, 2012, 02:45:44 PM

Yes'r

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1078 on: January 14, 2012, 07:46:04 AM

Ah, I used to love Libbys.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1079 on: January 14, 2012, 08:46:10 AM

I know it's difficult, but could we maybe start using [img width=1024] on all these massive pictures or something so it's actually viewable within a forum window?  The full-rez pic is still there if you want to -> view as.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1080 on: January 14, 2012, 10:39:33 AM

srsly

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1081 on: January 14, 2012, 02:29:45 PM

Fixed.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: January 26, 2012, 12:40:12 PM

Tons of images from Various sources.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1083 on: January 26, 2012, 01:10:53 PM

Just because no PS thread suffers from too much faction smack talk:

Die Vanu Scum!  Long Live the New Conglomerate!

I have never played WoW.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1084 on: January 26, 2012, 04:11:20 PM

Those pics gave a a half chub. Please only fuck this up as much as the original...cause I played that for a solid 6 months-year. I'd be happy with that.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: