Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:22:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gog.com 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gog.com  (Read 225597 times)
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: February 21, 2013, 10:28:24 AM

It was....just a shooter.

With voiceover!

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: February 21, 2013, 10:40:03 AM

It was....just a shooter.

That's really why I didn't like it all that much.

It wasn't even a good shooter.
Is there where I point out that Dead Space was originally going to be System Shock 3?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #422 on: February 21, 2013, 12:27:57 PM

Might explain why I liked Dead Space 1 and 2 way the fuck more than Bioshock (and I was OK with Bioshock, but by the end I was very MEH).

System Shock 1/2 and Deus Ex were about RPG and FPS mixed together, where you have experience points and character building that lets you make a character that can beat the game in several different ways.  That was a hell of a lot of fun.  Bioshock was a FPS with some magical abilities thrown in and great cinematic graphics.  No experience points or character building, which doomed it as a successor from the start.  You beat the game the same way no matter what, which was BANG BANG FIREBALL BANG BANG!

The fact that you could literally sneak past every enemy and talk every boss to death in Deus Ex is so far gone from this generation it physically hurts.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #423 on: February 21, 2013, 12:54:24 PM

Bioshock is everything that is wrong with modern gaming.

Also: BABIES NEED MEAT

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #424 on: February 21, 2013, 01:31:06 PM

Bioshock was awesome.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #425 on: February 22, 2013, 04:56:09 AM

It really wasn't.

Also, the life chambers that meant you could just hurl yourself at Big Daddies until they died of boredom.  The trick was to make sure you hadn't died of boredom first.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: February 22, 2013, 04:57:07 AM

Bioshock is everything that is wrong with modern gaming.

Also: BABIES NEED MEAT

You're going to have to face the facts :  We're just tooo old.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #427 on: February 22, 2013, 04:58:34 AM

It really wasn't.

Also, the life chambers that meant you could just hurl yourself at Big Daddies until they died of boredom.  The trick was to make sure you hadn't died of boredom first.

Indeed: Bioshock became so boring, so quickly for me :(. Haven't bothered with the second chapter either.

System Shock 1 and 2 are vastly superior games.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #428 on: February 22, 2013, 07:19:21 AM

I suppose so.  I do like easier games now, punishment isn't needed for games today, but am I old for noticing Bioshock was basically a shit shooter with in-engine story scenes?  The resurrection chambers weren't the main issue, if you ask me, and I know you didn't.  Seems like someone has a "great" premise for a game or story, but shortly into development it just devolves into producing a standard template with decorations inspired by the original idea.  So, Bioshock became a shooter because the devs didn't know how to make a Thief or System Shock.  Did they get bogged down in art?  Were there too many meetings and committee decisions?  Executives complaining that the game wasn't mainstream or LCD enough?  Maybe all of those things.  We also know adding "we need this to make money" or "Ken Levine" is apparently poison to a quality product.

I think I shocked someone in standing water once or twice, and only in the early room designed for it.  The rest of it was standard shooting.  To switch games, Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth on Xbox started out being scary, then about an hour or three into it, I realized all I am doing now is shooting fish people in a factory.  Shit shooter with fish people instead of Halo-aliens.  Geist is a poster-child for this particular issue, where you play the cool parts in the first 30 minutes of the game, which were already shown at the trade shows, after which you just end up shooting people.  The original premise was apparently so non-standard and the devs so brainwashed that they simply could not think of any more interesting gameplay after the gun models were loaded up.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: February 22, 2013, 07:33:03 AM

I think the whole Big Daddy/Little Sister thing kinda broke the game for me.  I loved the whole "Ann Rand prophecy fulfilled, only to end in ruin" thing, but I think they could have created a different way of trying to manifest the various powers and such.

Or here's an idea: DON'T PUT IN SUPERHUMAN POWERS.  Take out the entire plasmids thing, and stick with fleshing out the weapons and environment.  I honestly have no idea how they're getting away with Plasmids in BS: Inifinite, but I honestly don't care.  It's probably going to be just as stupid as sea slugs with stem cells.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: February 22, 2013, 07:39:32 AM

I suppose so.  I do like easier games now, punishment isn't needed for games today, but am I old for noticing Bioshock was basically a shit shooter with in-engine story scenes?  The resurrection chambers weren't the main issue, if you ask me, and I know you didn't.  Seems like someone has a "great" premise for a game or story, but shortly into development it just devolves into producing a standard template with decorations inspired by the original idea.  So, Bioshock became a shooter because the devs didn't know how to make a Thief or System Shock.  Did they get bogged down in art?  Were there too many meetings and committee decisions?  Executives complaining that the game wasn't mainstream or LCD enough?  Maybe all of those things.  We also know adding "we need this to make money" or "Ken Levine" is apparently poison to a quality product.

I think I shocked someone in standing water once or twice, and only in the early room designed for it.  The rest of it was standard shooting.  To switch games, Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth on Xbox started out being scary, then about an hour or three into it, I realized all I am doing now is shooting fish people in a factory.  Shit shooter with fish people instead of Halo-aliens.  Geist is a poster-child for this particular issue, where you play the cool parts in the first 30 minutes of the game, which were already shown at the trade shows, after which you just end up shooting people.  The original premise was apparently so non-standard and the devs so brainwashed that they simply could not think of any more interesting gameplay after the gun models were loaded up.

You do know I agree with all that and that my post was what people are saying about 'Us', right ?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #431 on: February 22, 2013, 07:58:25 AM

You shut your filthy whore mouth about Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth or I will cut you. Mob

Even though technically you are right, I still enjoyed the shit out of that game, standard shooter or not.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: February 22, 2013, 08:24:42 AM

Nothing wrong with enjoying a standard shooter if that's what you want.  I had a blast with Crysis, for example.

But there's something very wrong with someone saying 'the successor to System Shock' only to find out it's a ....standard shooter.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #433 on: February 22, 2013, 08:48:01 AM

I'm having a senior moment where I can't remember if I played System Shock 2 before or after Bioshock.  I discovered the game rather late.   System Shock 2 is pretty high on my list of top games, even with its flaws and playing it so long after its release.

I had fun with Bioshock for what it was.  Not what it could have been.  The whole Big Daddy part was horrid, however.  Game was not as fun post Ryan.

It does make me cringe a bit when I hear Madden/Halo gamers or young gamers tout it as the best game ever.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #434 on: February 22, 2013, 09:29:20 AM

I had fun with Bioshock for what it was.  Not what it could have been.  The whole Big Daddy part was horrid, however.  Game was not as fun post Ryan.

This. The post-Ryan portion of the game felt tacked on to make it longer, and didn't make a lot of narrative sense. Being a Big Daddy sucked ass.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #435 on: February 22, 2013, 09:29:38 AM

I bought and played System Shock 2 recently and I think you guys are remembering it through rose tinted glasses.  It was 90% shooter, most of the systems involved how well you shot, how you repaired your guns or using different types of guns/psi to shoot with.  It was a good game because of the setting and for bringing in the idea of stats and skills to an fps but it was at heart an fps.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: February 22, 2013, 09:44:54 AM

Vanilla SS2 (without modifying weapon degradation and respawns) was more like a FPBTUW (Beat Things Up with the Wrench), but yeah.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: February 22, 2013, 11:56:08 AM

Loved Bioshock. Spent most of the game beating things up with a wrench and enjoyed it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: February 22, 2013, 12:05:07 PM

I bought and played System Shock 2 recently and I think you guys are remembering it through rose tinted glasses.  It was 90% shooter, most of the systems involved how well you shot, how you repaired your guns or using different types of guns/psi to shoot with.  It was a good game because of the setting and for bringing in the idea of stats and skills to an fps but it was at heart an fps.

If I were to accept your premise (which I don't, I reject it utterly) I would say that the 10% is what Bioshock was lacking.

:P

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #439 on: February 22, 2013, 12:42:13 PM

Dark Corners of the Earth is cool, but what took me out of it was the bugs. It's hilarious to strafe up to a door, then lean through it and unlock it from the other side.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: February 22, 2013, 03:05:00 PM

I think weapon durability really is my only significant complaint

IIRC there was a cfg file setting to up the durability. I remember using it way back when I played SS2.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: February 22, 2013, 03:09:25 PM

Started replaying SS1.  God, that game's still good.  STILL GOOD.  Once you get back into how it looks and controls, of course.

Ya I put in the portable version and with all the mods, especially mouse look it is wonderful. I just wish there was a hack to get it wide screen though my monitor's resolution is kind of straining the scaling as it is.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: February 22, 2013, 03:13:06 PM

System Shock 1/2 and Deus Ex were about RPG and FPS mixed together, where you have experience points and character building that lets you make a character that can beat the game in several different ways.  That was a hell of a lot of fun.  

Not that I don't agree with you on the fun part but there were no experience points in SS1. Just upgrades you found lying around.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: February 22, 2013, 04:10:23 PM

Yeah, I've been playing my game of SS2 with weapon durability pretty significantly increased (not quite to the point where I never have to repair, but often enough that I still need to pull out the repair kits), and with enemy respawns toned down a good bit.

It's pretty great.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #444 on: February 22, 2013, 10:05:04 PM

Dark Corners of the Earth is cool, but what took me out of it was the bugs. It's hilarious to strafe up to a door, then lean through it and unlock it from the other side.

I played the XBox version and I don't think I ever ran into any bugs other than 1 or 2 CTD's.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: February 24, 2013, 03:14:32 PM

Dear diary. Today I turned a corner and met a naked woman with no skin and cyborg legs. I actually screamed out loud and then beat her to death with a wrench.  Heart

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: February 25, 2013, 08:22:56 AM

You using the new texture packs for them ?  I honestly thought the guy who did them did a great job, but the original creeped me out more.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #447 on: February 25, 2013, 09:19:29 AM

I used the new textures (but not replacement models, etc), because they looked like they were pretty true to the original and converted the computer displays and such from blurry messes to something readable (and less distracting).  I didn't want to go *too* mod-crazy, just trying to not hurt my eyes...
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: February 25, 2013, 09:36:54 AM

No I'm using the vanilla I got from GOG with the original textures. Really really creepy. I wasnt lying when I said I yelped when seeing the cyber-midwife as it was right in my face when I turned the corner. I have to say, never having played SS2, that this is a really good, really atmospheric game. The Weapon degrading doesn't bother me at all as it adds to the tension, and isn't really a concern once you have maintenance 3 or 4. There's this feeling of "every bullet is precious1" And whoever thought of the Hybrids screaming "Run" and "Kill me!" when you are fighting them is a genius. MUCH better than Bioshock, which only had the creepy factor in the first level.

Hic sunt dracones.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: February 25, 2013, 12:35:21 PM

Also those goddamn monkeys...
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: February 25, 2013, 01:00:26 PM

Also those goddamn monkeys...

I really hate me some monkeys.

Yeah, im playing this too. In all honesty, the art in this is fantastically done. For what ( when ) it is.

I really feel the need for more and more photorealism really distracts from games sometimes.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: February 25, 2013, 06:21:07 PM

Also the sound design, story, journal entries, etc.  Just really well crafted top to bottom.

After all, I first *heard* those monkeys before seeing them.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #452 on: February 26, 2013, 11:56:44 PM

Its fun, but the rampant respawning is starting to get really annoying.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #453 on: February 27, 2013, 06:32:20 AM

You do know I agree with all that and that my post was what people are saying about 'Us', right ?

I'm commiserating!  Yes, I did.  You just provided the curb for me to puke off of.

I enjoy dumb shit as much as anyone, but I still know it's dumb shit.

Also, thanks to Quinton for unsealing a memory I had repressed regarding psychic monkeys.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: February 27, 2013, 01:34:05 PM

Actually, thankfully, they're only psionic...

However...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gog.com  
Jump to: