Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 02:09:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2138889 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #11585 on: October 20, 2011, 09:30:03 AM

They might drop the NDA just to counter blizzcon  why so serious?

I actually wouldn't put it past them.

Edit: IGN is releasing their load now on pc.ign.com

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #11586 on: October 20, 2011, 09:42:03 AM

This Massively article is not entirely positive... and rags on it a lot about the 'WOW in space' thing. I'm sure everyone is shocked and appalled.  awesome, for real

edit: there's also a much more positive preview
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:47:16 AM by Zetor »

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #11587 on: October 20, 2011, 09:56:33 AM

That first Massively article...the writer is a moron. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11588 on: October 20, 2011, 10:26:21 AM

But the NDA is still in place for testers.
I dunno, hopefully the press would be more professional in understanding the ramifications of commenting on a beta product.

Wait....ok, now I'm done laughing, sorry.

The crap a lot of the "testers" have been writing has been at the level of official forum troll griping, mostly. And a LOT of them don't seem to have much of a grasp on mmo in general, let alone the vagaries of TOR, which certainly has a different style than other mmo. So while you might get some good post-NDA info here, there's going to be an overwhelming amount of utter crap disinforming the general public.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11589 on: October 20, 2011, 10:31:12 AM

This Massively article is not entirely positive... and rags on it a lot about the 'WOW in space' thing.
Quote from: that article
If that's not exactly the ringing endorsement you were hoping for, consider the source. I'm a sandbox guy, and rarely titillated by MMOs that stick to the straight and narrow.
F13 wouldn't have me review Diablo 3, ffs; or better yet Starcraft 2. Or Hainogaijinsuck: No Ima Chopee or whatever the hell jrpg. Honestly, the sheer amount of SWG vets whining about things in TOR not being like SWG is deplorable.
For those of us who realize that MMOs were meant to be more than casual combat games, though, I'm afraid Sir Alec Guinness said it best when he said this is not the MMO we're looking for.
What a self-righteous cunt.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11590 on: October 20, 2011, 11:12:44 AM

Wait, f13 has people review things?

Also, stop reading the output of gaming journalists. It is only going to upset you.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11591 on: October 20, 2011, 11:13:53 AM

Please stop calling them "journalists".  Most are anything but.   ACK!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #11592 on: October 20, 2011, 12:23:36 PM

I suspect due to holiday issues and the general trickle-in of players I expect us to have we're going to be stuck wherever we land, for better or for worse.

Odds of goons picking an RP server seem pretty low in any case.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/guild/defias-brotherhood/Ye%20Olde%20Goone%20Squade/
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/guild/defias-brotherhood/Goon%20Squad/

Guess what type of server Defias Brotherhood is. Go on, guess.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11593 on: October 20, 2011, 12:25:26 PM

Oh sure, but I am talking about the massive "we have to have 8 guilds on this server because we broke the character limit" type goon presence. They only needed 2 there, that's nothing.  why so serious?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #11594 on: October 20, 2011, 01:05:28 PM

Guess what type of server Defias Brotherhood is. Go on, guess.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I don't think Bioware has confirmed 'RP' servers yet.

Goon Squad is Republic PVE this time around but they are dwarfed membership wise by Star Fleet Dental (~3:1).  For what it's worth I'll be running around with a Goon Squad tag.  I've found that I like being part of very large, no commitment guilds that still manage to have enough going on to do things now and then.

Listening to the wind blow in the Bat Country chat channel got old fast in EQ2.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #11595 on: October 20, 2011, 01:30:04 PM

Was it really necessary for EA/Bioware to have 3 separate accounts that are necessary for SWTOR?  Oh, they *claim* you can synch up the EA Master account, the Origins account and the actual SWTOR account, but it's proving to be completely impossible to do so.  Whoever started this fucking retarded trend of making the email address the account name should be drawn, quartered and set on fire. Tantrum

Over and out.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #11596 on: October 20, 2011, 01:36:13 PM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11597 on: October 20, 2011, 01:39:36 PM

There are some good "reviews" out there, and by good I mean that they give out decent information and are decently balanced.  Writing quality will vary.

RPS is a good one, and IGN has some good reviews that dish out some details on crafting etc.

The press was able to speak about things up to a certain level, which was around level 18-20 or so.  So you'll get a bunch of low level and beginning mid-level content.

edit:
This one is decent: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/9186-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Hands-On
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #11598 on: October 20, 2011, 01:45:56 PM

Ars Technica has a preview up as well.

After reading all of these, what I said above holds true.  Nobody in their right mind is gonna bad talk this game.  That said, those that tried were either idiots or were trying too hard to find a problem, which to me means that maybe we really do have a good game on our hands here.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11599 on: October 20, 2011, 02:50:45 PM

After reading all of these, what I said above holds true.  Nobody in their right mind is gonna bad talk this game.  That said, those that tried were either idiots or were trying too hard to find a problem, which to me means that maybe we really do have a good game on our hands here.

We're not allowed to have good things.  What will we post about outside of the Politics forums?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11600 on: October 20, 2011, 03:00:18 PM

Boobs, asses and beer.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #11601 on: October 20, 2011, 03:21:41 PM

I've found that I like being part of very large, no commitment guilds that still manage to have enough going on to do things now and then.

Sums up my thinking as well, Starfleet Dental here. I'm sure I'll make an Empire character too but no idea where he'll end up.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11602 on: October 20, 2011, 03:27:01 PM

I don't think Bioware has confirmed 'RP' servers yet.

They certainly gave it to us as a server type to sign up for for guild placement.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11603 on: October 20, 2011, 03:41:44 PM

3 separate accounts

Really?

..............................  Ohhhhh, I see.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11604 on: October 20, 2011, 03:42:44 PM

I just have the one. It does seem to be separate from my Bioware Community account or whatever, but that one also seems to have nothing to do with SWTOR.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:44:15 PM by Ingmar »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11605 on: October 20, 2011, 03:48:06 PM

Well, multi accounts is a pet peeve of mine. Seems you need 4 with two emails just to take a shit recently.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #11606 on: October 20, 2011, 04:23:23 PM

Thankfully I have a domain where I can create unlimited number of email accounts. Grin

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #11607 on: October 20, 2011, 04:32:50 PM

I have just the one login? I didn't even have to do anything special to make it work that way, I don't think. I've had an account with the EA downloading shit for ages though.

God Save the Horn Players
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11608 on: October 20, 2011, 04:34:35 PM

I've only used one account to play the game.

Making the account name your email address does need to go die in a corner, though.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #11609 on: October 20, 2011, 04:53:24 PM

God I need to stop reading these previews....getting too hyped up  why so serious?

Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #11610 on: October 20, 2011, 05:56:20 PM

For those of us who realize that MMOs were meant to be more than casual combat games, though, I'm afraid Sir Alec Guinness said it best when he said this is not the MMO we're looking for.

a) That is a hella inaccurate quote.

b) Aw man Bloodworth got demoted?
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #11611 on: October 20, 2011, 09:50:03 PM

It's not much of a demotion.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #11612 on: October 20, 2011, 11:30:09 PM

There are some good "reviews" out there, and by good I mean that they give out decent information and are decently balanced.  Writing quality will vary.

RPS is a good one, and IGN has some good reviews that dish out some details on crafting etc.

If RPS was a good one then I can pretty safely say that this game is not for me. I'm more excited to clip my toenails than to get anywhere near TOR.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #11613 on: October 20, 2011, 11:47:27 PM

The RPS staff and commentators don't generally like MMOs but John Walker's piece is pretty fair: it's a modern Diku, it's a modern BioWare RPG, it appears mostly competent at being both.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #11614 on: October 21, 2011, 12:18:48 AM

Yeah, it is a modern DIKU MMO.  Spam your attacks, wait for cooldown, rinse and repeat.  If you loathe that formula, then you should probably not play MMOs anyway. 

What SWTOR has that the game it accuses of copying doesn't have:

- Looks pretty nice (if you can handle the art style)...I was actually expecting it to look like shit, but it doesn't at all.
- Sounds freaking awesome
- Voice acting is very good
- The quests are faaaaaaar more interesting.  No contest.  Somebody finally put the RP back in RPG.
- Companions

Really, the only reason I can see people not wanting to play this game is if they are just too sick and tired of the DIKU formula, or if they just fucking hate Star Wars.  We can (and will!) nitpick the shit out of what they could've and should've done differently, but there's no doubt in my mind at this point that Bioware (Austin!) has basically accomplished what they set out to do.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #11615 on: October 21, 2011, 01:43:01 AM

But once things kick off, and you’ve got ten quests down the right side of the screen and six different people pissed off at you for something, four flashpoints available for when you find someone else to play with, and have I mentioned, two lightsabres, it’s jolly hard not to want to keep going for more.

Four flashpoints at a low level? He's talking about group quests isn't he?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #11616 on: October 21, 2011, 02:47:43 AM

But once things kick off, and you’ve got ten quests down the right side of the screen and six different people pissed off at you for something, four flashpoints available for when you find someone else to play with, and have I mentioned, two lightsabres, it’s jolly hard not to want to keep going for more.

Four flashpoints at a low level? He's talking about group quests isn't he?

That's one of the annoying things I'm finding with BW's take on MMOs...they can't just use terminology that we're all already familiar, no, we have to go and create a whole new language to confuse people with.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #11617 on: October 21, 2011, 03:04:38 AM

Yeah, Flashpoints are group quests.  It isn't really a problem with the different terminology.  The first time you run across one, you are instantly aware of what the deal is.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11618 on: October 21, 2011, 04:01:01 AM

Flashpoints are the equivalent of WoW 5-man dungeons. The quote from the article is accurate and means what it says.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:05:12 AM by koro »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11619 on: October 21, 2011, 04:18:58 AM

Every mmog ever makes up new names for the same shit. Taskforces, supergroups, linkshells, battlegrounds, scenarios, souls, jobs, auras, neural remapping, wardrobe, appearance tab, LFD, same old shit, different name.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: