Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:41:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  (Read 340447 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1050 on: April 24, 2014, 10:26:41 AM

The marvel film universe has already established that costumes are not to be a thing.  Other worldly outfits and uniforms are acceptable and to be honest most costumes can easily be converted into a real world analogue see:Batroc. 

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1051 on: April 24, 2014, 10:30:58 AM

Of the current avengers with their own films, 75% have a costume, and 25% are the hulk. Just saying.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1052 on: April 24, 2014, 10:47:40 AM

Iron man is a suit of armor, as I already mentioned Thor counts as armor/uniform and Captain America, Black widow as well as Hawkeye are all "uniform" versions of their comic counterparts.  You can call them costumes if you like but they are all different from their comic versions.  In fact only the hulk is in the exact same outfit as the comics.

You can define costume loosely enough that any military is wearing a costume if that's what you want to do but spandex super heroes simply don't exist in the world they've created.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1053 on: April 24, 2014, 11:03:34 AM

The marvel film universe has already established that costumes are not to be a thing.  Other worldly outfits and uniforms are acceptable and to be honest most costumes can easily be converted into a real world analogue see:Batroc. 
Do you mean someone has said something to that effect, or that they have not used them to date outside of those circumstances?  They're doing a slow progression from 'reality' to 'comic book reality', as far as I can tell.  They want to build to a world of costumed heroes, magic and galactic threats... but it will be a build.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1054 on: April 24, 2014, 11:55:16 AM

And yes, Evil Grant is definitely a lot more interesting. Skye still bothers the shit out of me, but the Mary Sue nickname was a good little bit of self-deprecating humor by the writers. They are getting better. Also glad to see them bring in an actual Marvel super-villain (the darkforce guy in this one is actually Blackout from the comics) even if he didn't have a costume. I want more costumes.

Blackout's costume in the comics is pretty horrible though so it's probably for the best the didn't go with that.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: April 24, 2014, 12:16:56 PM

We've clearly hit that point where comic outfits from the 80s also need to be mocked. 

I think the future of their costuimers will not be based upon Spandex, but will instead be more 'armor' or functional outfits that reference the comic outfits thematically.  See the pictures of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch that have leaked online for where I think this is headed.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: April 24, 2014, 01:02:11 PM

We've clearly hit that point where comic outfits from the 80s also need to be mocked. 

I think the future of their costuimers will not be based upon Spandex, but will instead be more 'armor' or functional outfits that reference the comic outfits thematically.  See the pictures of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch that have leaked online for where I think this is headed.

You can already see this is what they are doing, everyone in "injustice gods among us" is wearing armor like costumes.

I am the .00000001428%
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1057 on: April 24, 2014, 02:34:26 PM

Iron man is a suit of armor, as I already mentioned Thor counts as armor/uniform and Captain America, Black widow as well as Hawkeye are all "uniform" versions of their comic counterparts.  You can call them costumes if you like but they are all different from their comic versions.  In fact only the hulk is in the exact same outfit as the comics.

You can define costume loosely enough that any military is wearing a costume if that's what you want to do but spandex super heroes simply don't exist in the world they've created.

Captain America is totally wearing a costume.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1058 on: April 24, 2014, 02:46:22 PM

True on Cap, but his outfit was designed to be a costume initially.  Everything they've put him in that wasn't his WWII outfit has been a unifoirm version of the costume.  His 'costuming' might be the thing that triggers the costume craze to come...

I'm thinking Daredevil is going to be the tipping point.  Once we see his outfit, we'll know where they're headed.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1059 on: April 24, 2014, 03:16:06 PM

I still think Luke Cage should totally show up in a yellow open-necked shirt with a chain belt.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1060 on: April 24, 2014, 03:16:50 PM

I still think Luke Cage should totally show up in a yellow open-necked shirt with a chain belt.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Shouldn't everyone?

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1061 on: April 24, 2014, 03:17:56 PM

Luke Cage is just going to be dressed like a regular dude. Plain Yellow T-Shirt and blue jeans is my bet.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1062 on: April 24, 2014, 06:53:49 PM

Thor and Captain America both wear costumes.

I think the mindset that you need to get ride of the costumes for the sake of realism or turn Galactus into an evil cloud (yes, I know the cloud is from the Ultimate line) is dying. I expect some of that to still happen for outlandish attire, but I think Marvel has learned to embrace their super heroes rather than try to distance itself from them. Ultimately these movies are successful because people like super heroes, including their visual elements.

Hawkeye's comic book costume was always ugly as fuck and if he works for Shield it makes sense for him to wear Shieldy attire rather than garish purple shit. I except that sort of thing. And some costumes that look good on the page just aren't going to look good on film or need certain concessions.

Very few real-life humans look good in full spandex outfits. The same is true for large flowing capes. Some things just don't work in film.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1063 on: April 25, 2014, 12:53:17 AM

I'm sure there will be garish costumes, but just not spandex specifically.

"Spandex" effects in comics are only really a stylistic choice to allow illustrators to draw body parts. I seriously doubt any writer ever thought of lycra as a uniquely suitable material, I'm guessing they just wanted something tight.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1064 on: April 25, 2014, 01:25:28 AM

Drawing actual clothing is hard and time consuming.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1065 on: April 29, 2014, 10:24:58 PM

"Huh".  why so serious?

I missed the first 8 min or so. Very good episode nearly ruined by a cheesy, laughable scene that was supposed to be suspenseful . I can't believe I actually like Skye now.  ACK! Angryvengeful Skye is best Skye.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1066 on: April 30, 2014, 03:10:18 AM

"Who or what is a Man-Thing?"
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1067 on: April 30, 2014, 06:55:36 AM

Holy shit Skye is actually a decent character now.  Great scenes tonight, especially Skye/Ward.  Unfortunately it looks like they may redeem Ward which I'm totally against.  At least kill him off saving Skye, don't bring him back to the team with a 'lesson learned' handwave bullshit story.

The nice quiet ending with them homeless at the motel was a nice touch.  What Coulson doesn't yet get is that he IS Shield now, at least until Fury re-ignites it next week.
Having them fugitives and on the run was a good idea, it's really knocked everyone off their nice little character perches.

Name dropping Man-Thing pleased my inner fanboy.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1068 on: April 30, 2014, 08:05:46 AM

Yeah, I had to rewind to hear the Man-Thing reference. That was awesome.

I am so glad I stuck with this show. It's still not GREAT but it has gotten good. Scorned Skye is definitely better Skye. I'm really digging where they are taking Fitz as a character, and new Black Ward is more likeable than old stiff White Ward.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1069 on: April 30, 2014, 08:07:22 AM

Do you think White Ward was that way because of bad acting or Black Ward's 'bad acting'?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1070 on: April 30, 2014, 08:13:51 AM

Intentional acting on the part of White Ward.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1071 on: May 01, 2014, 05:09:15 AM

Yeah, I had to rewind to hear the Man-Thing reference. That was awesome.

Between that and Man-Thing's wife in IM3 you get the impression that somebody behind the scenes must love themselves some Giant Size Man-Thing.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: May 01, 2014, 11:26:11 AM

I hear lots of ladies like giant sized man things as well.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: May 01, 2014, 12:07:03 PM

Holy shit Skye is actually a decent character now.  Great scenes tonight, especially Skye/Ward.  Unfortunately it looks like they may redeem Ward which I'm totally against.  At least kill him off saving Skye, don't bring him back to the team with a 'lesson learned' handwave bullshit story.

Ward has gone too far over the line to be redeemed in my opinion. The only possible method to do it is for it to be mind control or some kind of blackmail, like his brother has one of those head bombs in him and if Ward doesn't toe the line, little brother's eyes turn bloodshot, permanently. I don't think they've set up the second at all so really the only chance for redemption is the first. Ward's killed far too many people for them to accept him back if he decides to switch sides. He's killed fellow shield agents, innocent civilians and police officers.

One thing they might do is make him a somewhat sympathetic recurring villain. Sort of a Magneto style character who is usually opposed to their goals but doesn't try to kill them and who will, if needed, team up with them for a short time.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1074 on: May 01, 2014, 04:03:14 PM

Ward will be killed, then they'll pull a TAHITI on him like Coulson and his "bad thoughts" will be removed while he's being resurrected.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1075 on: May 01, 2014, 04:08:01 PM

I could see that happening. It would be stupid, but I could see it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1076 on: May 01, 2014, 05:30:43 PM

Cept for the part where they blew up the alien.

I am the .00000001428%
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1077 on: May 01, 2014, 05:52:13 PM

Nothing is ever "gone" in comics.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: May 02, 2014, 06:50:24 AM

Cept for the part where they blew up the alien.

Given the aliens biology brought coulson back from the dead I am guessing there is a good chance when not hooked into those machines in time it may regenerate back to full health on its own. Now being trapped under a mountain is likely to make it a bit more ill tempered.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1079 on: May 02, 2014, 08:49:55 AM

I'm just pleased that we've reached a point with several options that could be executed in an interesting manner... and that Joss Whedon has enough of a hand in it to make it painful.

Because Skye just saved his life, and because he was her 'trainer', I'm going to go with Skye being forced to use lethal force to stop Ward from doing something bad... but him resurfacing down the road with a different explanation than alien resurrection juice. 

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1080 on: May 02, 2014, 09:13:55 AM

Skye will become Death, and Ward will be her bitchboy between stints with Thanos - after the show migrates to HBO.   awesome, for real

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1081 on: May 02, 2014, 11:14:37 AM

I'm just pleased that we've reached a point with several options that could be executed in an interesting manner... and that Joss Whedon has enough of a hand in it to make it painful.

Because Skye just saved his life, and because he was her 'trainer', I'm going to go with Skye being forced to use lethal force to stop Ward from doing something bad... but him resurfacing down the road with a different explanation than alien resurrection juice. 

And then ward becomes a good guy and they fall in love until ward gets a spin off show on another network.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: May 02, 2014, 06:04:58 PM

I really hope Evil Ward is here to stay. Nothing good can come of anything else IMO.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: May 02, 2014, 06:15:12 PM

I really, really want to be wrong on this.  But I'm betting that the Sif-Lorelei show was there to establish that mind control is definitely a thing, and it will play into Ward's arc.  Somehow.  With a big fat Asgardian McGuffin in the middle.

Ohhhhh, I see.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1084 on: May 02, 2014, 06:22:17 PM

The doesn't really work well with how they're playing things so far. They've made it clear the Ward feels like he owes Garrett and also that he buys into the idea that Hydra isn't actually evil (his reaction when Skye calls them Nazi's). Seems more likely that they're going with some tragic backstory for Ward.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 46 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  
Jump to: