Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 03:56:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 614138 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: February 03, 2014, 07:28:00 PM

Actually, re: the TV show,

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: February 03, 2014, 09:56:33 PM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: February 04, 2014, 07:25:12 AM

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: February 05, 2014, 11:52:58 AM

They are doing casting for the new Fantastic Four movie and not only do we get a younger cast, with Michael B. Jordan playing the Human Torch, but apparently they are testing for a possible female Doctor Doom.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: February 05, 2014, 12:01:18 PM

Did a quick look on imdb, and it appears that Fox still has the rights, so expect this to be yet another abortion just to keep the rights.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: February 05, 2014, 12:34:14 PM

Did a quick look on imdb, and it appears that Fox still has the rights, so expect this to be yet another abortion just to keep the rights.
They're melding it with the X-men universe - they want to merge all of the rights that they have access to into a universe with the 'scope' of the MCU.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: February 05, 2014, 12:52:23 PM

What indication do we have that they are doing that at all, our of curiosity? The way they seem to be handling the X-Men stuff and Spidey (to a lesser extent) seem totally different than this project.

beer geek.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: February 05, 2014, 01:04:52 PM

Xmen already has the scope of the marvel universe for free. That's why they are trying so hard to get single character movies going, in the hope we'll all be impressed when they then put the xmen back together.

That said, f4 vs xmen kind of makes sense, if only as a last roll of the dice to get f4 some traction - as of today it's a D list franchise that they might as well sell back.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: February 06, 2014, 01:30:43 PM

A bunch of vague statements like the following are behind the linkage rumors: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/x-men/28762/new-hints-of-an-x-men-and-fantastic-four-crossover-movie

There has been no official statement that it will clearly happen, but the tea leaves are as clear as tea leaves can be.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: February 06, 2014, 01:41:59 PM

In a story over at The Hollywood Reporter, it's suggested that Fox is looking to create a crossover movie with the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises. Writer and producer Simon Kinberg is quoted as saying, "I have a lot of ideas on how to build those brands and do what everybody is thinking of these days: Be like Marvel."

awesome, for real

The general focus of both franchises seem so wildly different, but I guess Wolvie and Spidey HAVE been on Fantastic Four before.

beer geek.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: February 06, 2014, 01:43:57 PM

But will Captain America be on fire ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: February 06, 2014, 03:46:58 PM

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/guardians-galaxy-2-square-batman-superman/

An unnamed, but reliable source has reported that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will be opening on May 6th, 2016...this puts the film in direct competition with Batman vs. Superman, which also opens that day

Well, no one can accuse Marvel of lacking in confidence. If the rumor is true they must really think they have a hit on their hands. If GoTG does well, will Warner Bros/DC or Marvel blink first? My bet is WB.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/captain-america-sequel-lead-avengers-2-agents-h-124400592.html

Disney CEO Bob Iger has confirmed that 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' will directly tie in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' and ABC's 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D' TV show.

Not exactly surprising but I'm so hyped for CA:TWS.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #502 on: February 07, 2014, 03:49:14 AM

A bunch of vague statements like the following are behind the linkage rumors: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/x-men/28762/new-hints-of-an-x-men-and-fantastic-four-crossover-movie

There has been no official statement that it will clearly happen, but the tea leaves are as clear as tea leaves can be.

With Fantastic Four not coming out until next year, and X-Men: Apocalypse set for 2016, the earliest they'd realistically be able to do any sort of crossover movie would be in 2017. Even if things make it that far, where would they go after that? I can't see people get exciting about seeing an X-Men/Fantastic Four crossover movie every 2-3 years.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: February 07, 2014, 08:35:44 AM

They do not necessarily have to do a cross-over movie to establish they are in the same universe.  All they need to do is a quick cameo or cross reference.  I think any 'X-men versus FF' type tale would be 2018 or so...

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: February 07, 2014, 09:05:23 AM

Given that we've compared it to what the MCU has done, that was sort of implied. I'm just not sure what threat they could weave through X-Men/F4 to tie everything together, which is what the MCU is doing. If they just want it within the same universe, they can just use a throw away line. That is not really the same thing as what the MCU is doing.

I really don't think I even want an X-Men/F4 movie. That sounds terrible.

beer geek.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: February 07, 2014, 09:36:07 AM

he new xmen movie already looks like it's suffering from WAY too many characters, expectations are not high.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: February 07, 2014, 10:24:45 AM

Another day, another rumor:

Paul Bettany to play Vision in Age of Ultron

Oh and Ms. Marvel will be in it too.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: February 07, 2014, 11:09:14 AM

Ohhhhh, I see. Well...

beer geek.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: February 07, 2014, 02:20:01 PM

WB and Sony can try to do a shared universe but they'll fail.  Marvel has it baked into the recipe and those two are throwing shit on a wall to see what'll stick.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: February 07, 2014, 10:23:23 PM

There are dozens of storylines that cross X-men with FF in the comics.  They tried to boost every title's sales by crossing it with the X-men.  IIRC, Franklin Richards plays a major role in some facets of X-lore.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: February 07, 2014, 10:39:40 PM

There are dozens of storylines that cross X-men with FF in the comics.  They tried to boost every title's sales by crossing it with the X-men.  IIRC, Franklin Richards plays a major role in some facets of X-lore.

Random stories are not the same thing and you know it. We've been comparing it to what they are doing with MCU, not a 3 issue crossover.

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: February 09, 2014, 12:41:59 PM

Random stories are not the same thing and you know it. We've been comparing it to what they are doing with MCU, not a 3 issue crossover.
First - Avengers is the core movie of the MCU.  The closest comic equivalent to that movie is the beginning of Ultimates - which is a pretty random story.

Second - I don't know if the FF / X-men crossovers are all so inconsequential.  X-men vs. Fantastic Four is the obvious one, and you could modify a lot of those major cross-over events while excluding Spider and the Avengers (Secret Wars, Civil War, etc...), but they could also build something huge out of one of those random stories that barely hits upon both franchises or just work one franchise into a storyline that comes from the other's comic universe.

In the end, being able to put out 2-3 films a year between Wolverine, X-men, X-force, New Mutants, Fantastic Four, X-factor, Silver Surfer, etc... is going to be what they strive to do because they think they can make MCU type of money off of selling a combined universe.  It doesn't really matter whether there is a solid 'basis in comics' for it.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #512 on: February 09, 2014, 02:05:59 PM

Your second point just seems to be "well if they do it right it could be good", which you could say about just about any idea. I get a feeling that when you heard about the direct to Sci-Fi channel Man-Thing movie back in 2005 you convinced yourself that if they adapted the right story it could be awesome and maybe they could set up some sort of crossover with that Blade TV series that was coming out the year after. Also, for fuck's sake stop suggesting that people adapt Civil War.

And as you point out, there are any number of X-men related franchises they could do if they want to build a shared universe (they're already doing an X-Force movie and have been trying to do a Deadpool movie for a while). Trying to shoehorn the Fantastic Four in there just because that happens to be another Marvel franchise they have the rights to doesn't really make any sense. A Wolverine appearance in a Fantastic Four movie might help sell some tickets but the FF aren't going to do anything to boost up the X-men franchises numbers. There's traditionally been very little overlap between these two franchises in the comics and there's not really a lot to draw on there. About the closest thing to an iconic moment between the two that there's been is when Wolverine fucked up the Thing's face and he had to wear that stupid fucking helmet for a while.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: February 09, 2014, 09:59:31 PM

First - Avengers is the core movie of the MCU.  The closest comic equivalent to that movie is the beginning of Ultimates - which is a pretty random story.

Second - I don't know if the FF / X-men crossovers are all so inconsequential.  X-men vs. Fantastic Four is the obvious one, and you could modify a lot of those major cross-over events while excluding Spider and the Avengers (Secret Wars, Civil War, etc...), but they could also build something huge out of one of those random stories that barely hits upon both franchises or just work one franchise into a storyline that comes from the other's comic universe.

In the end, being able to put out 2-3 films a year between Wolverine, X-men, X-force, New Mutants, Fantastic Four, X-factor, Silver Surfer, etc... is going to be what they strive to do because they think they can make MCU type of money off of selling a combined universe.  It doesn't really matter whether there is a solid 'basis in comics' for it.

I'm not even sure what your point is. I really don't even think we're far apart if we're "wishing". They could totally do something, sure. I'm not arguing to stick close to any sort of comic continuity.

However, The Avengers do well separately and together, both in the comics and in the films, and Marvel has built a very nice film universe around it. F4/XMen do not have anything like "avengers" to tie it all together. There's a shared threat that weaves through the films/universe. I'm just not sure I see anything that would work for the Fox side of things. Especially given how different these projects seem to be. ESPECIALLY given that the X-Men stuff seems rooted in just going with the First class cast from here on out.

Also. If your'e talking about the mind 80s Claremont FF4/XMen thing, that book was dumb. I really hope they don't do that.

And the last bit of what they are going to do, of course they are. No one is arguing otherwise.

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: February 10, 2014, 05:41:39 AM

*shrug*

Time will tell.  I am pretty darn sure they're going to have them in the same universe, and that they'll do so meaningfully.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #515 on: February 10, 2014, 12:47:22 PM

You also seem to think someone should or would adapt Civil War as a movie. Your judgement would seem somewhat... suspect on the matter.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: February 10, 2014, 01:19:58 PM

I don't hate on Civil War as much as others, but without SHIELD, Cap and Iron Man, I'm not sure it makes anywhere the same amount of sense. The closest the X segment of the universe comes is Days of Future Past... and they're doing that already!

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #517 on: February 10, 2014, 01:30:10 PM

If you were going to do some shared FF/X-Men thing in a movie, it would only make sense if it was something like the aforementioned Days of Future Past or Age of Apocalypse - and they are already doing both of those without any word on some kind of cross-movie continuity.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: February 10, 2014, 07:49:32 PM

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: February 10, 2014, 08:02:22 PM

If the days of future past movie is anything but a bloated mess of characters I will give them some credit for making a F4/xmen movie but as it stands even the avengers suffers from bloat for I don't know how in hell they expect to pull that off.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: February 10, 2014, 08:05:27 PM

But with Millar in consulting, what could go wrong?  why so serious?

Over and out.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: February 10, 2014, 08:14:28 PM

Did you read the article? The title is fucking terrible.

"I keep seeing 'news' that X-Men & FF movies are crossing over. No, they're not. They exist in same universe but movies stand alone."
"I think you have to see some of these guys showing up in each other’s movies.”

So, sure, in the X-Men movie they need something from Reed, so he shows up for moment. that is far different than anything you were proposing for an Avengers like team up.

If you are still talking about a generic same universe thing, I haven't disagreed o that front even remotely, but you keep bringing up an X-Men/FF4 movie or some big project like Civil War. Even Millar seems to indicate that not happening.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:22:28 PM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: February 10, 2014, 10:38:20 PM

I think a lot of people read the contradicting statements in that article as backtracking after speaking out of turn - and once again, only time will tell.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: February 13, 2014, 08:28:40 AM

Isn't the plot of this "civil war" thing exactly the same as the overall xmen premise?

Which also leads on to a problem I see with putting anyone else in the xmen world, how the hell are F4 or whoever any different from any other mutant.

Just from a branding standpoint you might as well just call it the xmen universe and be done with it.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: February 13, 2014, 08:36:17 AM

Isn't the plot of this "civil war" thing exactly the same as the overall xmen premise?

Ultimately, however, it is about controlling mutants, yes. There are some distinct differences, as the X-Men boils down to Muties vs Humans, where Civil War wasn't really a racial thing, as it were. There were Mutants/Supers on both sides.

Civil War was 1 on 1. X-Men Universe is 1 on 1 on 1.

beer geek.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: