Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:50:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2137027 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #8365 on: July 25, 2011, 01:30:21 PM

So in other news...  Bat Country.  PvP or PvE server?

It says RP server on the guild page.

No shit, Sherlock.  Dont be so obtuse.
RP implies PVE, RP PVP servers are designated separately (if they even exist in SWTOR).

Don't worry, Schild will swoop in at the last second and demand a normal PVE server anyway.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8366 on: July 25, 2011, 01:33:54 PM

Pretty sure the ganking would only be happening out in the more traditional Kill 10 Wamprats areas of the game world anyway, rather than in the story sections which are presumably instanced?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8367 on: July 25, 2011, 01:41:38 PM

Don't worry, Schild will swoop in at the last second and demand a normal PVE server anyway.

Who?   why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8368 on: July 25, 2011, 01:43:49 PM

Bioware is picking where BC ends up.

Still plenty of time to fuck up the Republic version of BC, though.
Pretty sure the ganking would only be happening out in the more traditional Kill 10 Wamprats areas of the game world anyway, rather than in the story sections which are presumably instanced?
The ganking would happen right outside the story sections :)

Still, given the setting the idea is appealing. But my issue is that to enjoy a pvp server is to be in an organized guild of competent players who spend a lot of time in the game, or at least have enough numbers to ensure coverage when you're on.

So...not BC.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

SC, let us know where you end up so those wanting to dabble in open pvp can find a guild (at the risk of further fragmenting BC, it's normal doomcasting).
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8369 on: July 25, 2011, 01:45:59 PM

Bioware is picking where BC ends up.

Still plenty of time to fuck up the Republic version of BC, though.
The ganking would happen right outside the story sections :)

Still, given the setting the idea is appealing. But my issue is that to enjoy a pvp server is to be in an organized guild of competent players who spend a lot of time in the game, or at least have enough numbers to ensure coverage when you're on.

So...not BC.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

SC, let us know where you end up so those wanting to dabble in open pvp can find a guild (at the risk of further fragmenting BC, it's normal doomcasting).

I'm guessing its going to be more like "Hey, big fight going on a Hoth, everyone come!"  I don't expect you'll need a guild if you want to participate, just show up and kill stuff. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8370 on: July 25, 2011, 02:11:14 PM

I'm guessing its going to be more like "Hey, big fight going on a Hoth, everyone come!"  I don't expect you'll need a guild if you want to participate, just show up and kill stuff. 

Translation: Five people showed up in orgrimmar and started killing guards and spamming local defense. Thirty horde show up to defend only to find the people are half dead or left.  Survivors of the initial assault are then camped for another hour.

Yeah, pvp in pve games = dumb

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8371 on: July 25, 2011, 02:16:56 PM

Translation: Five people showed up in orgrimmar and started killing guards and spamming local defense. Thirty horde show up to defend only to find the people are half dead or left.  Survivors of the initial assault are then camped for another hour.

Yeah, pvp in pve games = dumb

I don't disagree, I'm just saying I expect thats how it'll be in this game.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8372 on: July 25, 2011, 05:19:43 PM

See, I link more Emain. "Hey guys, fight on Hoth", 300 Darth Vader001s running around as your 15 troopers zone in and go "hokaaay" and try to get through a space milegate while bitching on the forums about how the empire never brought overwhelming force to a fight and they should l2*randomgroupsize*

But really, pvp server + stealth classes = lolno.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8373 on: July 25, 2011, 07:23:28 PM

No the hell it doesn't.  Every MMO in the last several years has PvP, PvE, RP-PvP and RP-PvE.  WoW, EQ2, AoC, Rift, Aion...
Ahem.
Quote from: Wowwiki
To allow for different play-styles, realms come in four types:

* PvE (a.k.a. Normal) - Player vs. Environment
        * PvP - Player vs. Player
        * RP - Roleplaying version of a PvE realm. Additional behavior and naming rules apply.
        * RP-PvP - Roleplaying version of a PvP realm. Additional behavior and naming rules apply.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8374 on: July 25, 2011, 08:50:18 PM

Um....

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8375 on: July 25, 2011, 08:53:43 PM

No the hell it doesn't.  Every MMO in the last several years has PvP, PvE, RP-PvP and RP-PvE.  WoW, EQ2, AoC, Rift, Aion...
Ahem.
Quote from: Wowwiki
To allow for different play-styles, realms come in four types:

* PvE (a.k.a. Normal) - Player vs. Environment
        * PvP - Player vs. Player
        * RP - Roleplaying version of a PvE realm. Additional behavior and naming rules apply.
        * RP-PvP - Roleplaying version of a PvP realm. Additional behavior and naming rules apply.

You, ah, want to look at that list again?  I really don't want to state the obvious, so I'll just let you figure it out.

I'll definately be hitting an east coast RP-PvP server.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:59:25 PM by SnakeCharmer »
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #8376 on: July 25, 2011, 09:02:13 PM

Uh, the point of contention is that RP-PvE servers are usually just referred to as RP servers. He's right.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8377 on: July 25, 2011, 09:14:27 PM

OMG it's shortened to RP and not RP-PvE so it's like totally different!!

It's the same fucking thing (ruleset), dipshit. 
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #8378 on: July 25, 2011, 09:16:48 PM

Then what the hell did you mean by this?
So in other news...  Bat Country.  PvP or PvE server?

It says RP server on the guild page.

No shit, Sherlock.  Dont be so obtuse.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #8379 on: July 25, 2011, 09:32:12 PM

I roleplay a psychotic murderer named Assface.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #8380 on: July 25, 2011, 10:53:01 PM

I roleplay a psychotic murderer named Assface.

I know you - your parents were murdered by muggers orcs wookies when you were a boy, right?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #8381 on: July 25, 2011, 11:10:39 PM

Ewoks.  Those things were deadly.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #8382 on: July 26, 2011, 12:16:17 AM

Good job they all died when the debris from the second Death Star fell flaming out of the sky then.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #8383 on: July 26, 2011, 04:13:11 AM

Game is shit without Ewok Jedi
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8384 on: July 26, 2011, 05:16:33 AM

OMG it's shortened to RP and not RP-PvE so it's like totally different!!

It's the same fucking thing (ruleset), dipshit. 

Thats what you got upset about in the first place.  I said "RP" and you got all bent out of shape that I didn't say RP-PvE.  The rest of that discussion was other people pointing out that RP usually means RP-PvE unless otherwise denoted as RP-PvP.  I don't know why you're getting so up in arms over this relatively small terminology issue.  BC is going to be on an RP server with a PvE ruleset.  There, now you have your answer and you can stop being cranky.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8385 on: July 26, 2011, 06:43:43 AM

Namiing my guy SithDood

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8386 on: July 26, 2011, 06:51:46 AM

Naming my Smuggler Pluto Nash.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8387 on: July 26, 2011, 07:00:30 AM

So we have to RP? Like in chat and shit?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8388 on: July 26, 2011, 07:12:31 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Yes, thou must verily useth yon olde Englishe.

Dibs on Jayne69 for my BH.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8389 on: July 26, 2011, 07:32:39 AM

Yeah, well I'm gonna name my BH Bubba Fatt.  He's from the Deep South of Mandalore.

He's had no tragedy in life.. he just thinks all you aliens are scum and not civilized enough to know your place.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8390 on: July 26, 2011, 07:46:42 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Yes, thou must verily useth yon olde Englishe.

Dibs on Jayne69 for my BH.

-*Dr1zzt*- the smurf imperial agent approves of this gimmick.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8391 on: July 26, 2011, 07:51:02 AM

Yeah, well I'm gonna name my BH Bubba Fatt.  He's from the Deep South of Mandalore.
Nice! I'm changing mine to Bossk Hogg. We have our BC RP theme, changed from the Imperial Local Steamfitters Union.

Companion death *redacted*. Everyone reading up on the SDCC stuff? Lots of info dribbling out. Something Rift could learn from: you'll be able to upgrade the armor of your speeder so you get knocked off by NPCs less.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:14:04 AM by Sky »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8392 on: July 26, 2011, 08:17:09 AM

Save Daasey Duk'es for when I eventually pick it up.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8393 on: July 26, 2011, 08:20:11 AM

Ross'ko P'Koaltrayn would work I suppose...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8394 on: July 26, 2011, 08:26:16 AM

Companion death redacted - called it.

Rift also has upgraded mounts that let you get knocked off 'less' so this announcement doesn't mean anything until it's actually shown how easy it is to get or how bad npc's dismounting you is in the first place.  I am leary of anything that allows you to 'upgrade away from the suck' it implies that it sucks in the first place.

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #8395 on: July 26, 2011, 08:32:17 AM

Rift just actually said fuck it and got rid of the stacking diismount debuff altogether. And isn't "upgrading from the suck" the whole point of diku?

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #8396 on: July 26, 2011, 08:34:38 AM

Companion death redacted - called it.

Called what? Got a link?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8397 on: July 26, 2011, 08:36:19 AM

Rift just actually said fuck it and got rid of the stacking diismount debuff altogether. And isn't "upgrading from the suck" the whole point of diku?

Theres a difference between my character sucks because I need upgrades, and this mechanic sucks.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #8398 on: July 26, 2011, 08:58:59 AM

Theres a difference between my character sucks because I need upgrades, and this mechanic sucks.

I think he means in iterative game design terms. Ie there were the bad old days when folks had to walk to dungeons then we upgraded to being able to footzle around in Orgrimmar while a couple of shmucks run to the dungeon to summon everyone then we upgraded again to getting teleported in when the group filled.

Pretty soon dikus are going to be perfect.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8399 on: July 26, 2011, 09:32:47 AM

Game is shit without Ewok Jedi

DLC, man. DLC.

edit: and companion death made no sense in an MMO, imo. "I killed this douchebag, then a year later they patched him to be awesome, ZOMG APPEAL" is just something not worth dealing with. If you want to RP they're dead, just don't use them. But a lot of single player mechanics don't translate well to the MMO format.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:35:50 AM by kildorn »
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: