Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2024, 12:54:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2146233 times)
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #12670 on: November 12, 2011, 08:31:58 AM

Well, sometime in the next 4 weeks?  why so serious?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #12671 on: November 12, 2011, 08:35:50 AM

Does it take longer even if you duo with someone in your own class?
Yeah, since only you can progress your storyline when you do your bit; you'd have to repeat it for the other person.
Amp
Terracotta Army

Reply #12672 on: November 12, 2011, 08:47:09 AM

It sounds like WoW was his first MMO dance. 

Actually what it sounds like is the devolving of creative MMO's, or programmers.   I want to swing a lightsaber, not watch some stupid timer. 

I've played MMO's since UO was released.  Beta tested everything I could sign up for ...So yea, not my first one...one liner dude.

It's not my fault the genre now sucks.

This space for rent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12673 on: November 12, 2011, 09:31:32 AM

I made a Jedi right at zero hour and it was borderline unplayable in melee because of all the stuttering. A few hours later when the starting area was much less crowded it got much better. As someone else said I'd put it just a touch below WoW's for responsiveness.

The game is key release, instead of key press apparently.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #12674 on: November 12, 2011, 09:37:28 AM

I haven't been serious enough to notice if that's been the case in a lot of other games, but is it?

I think the default in Rift is release (I have it set that way at least) and the option wasn't even part of the WoW client proper until just recently.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12675 on: November 12, 2011, 10:28:30 AM

Ctrl+Shift+F will also display your FPS in the lower left corner if anyone is curious about that too.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #12676 on: November 12, 2011, 10:33:08 AM

Ctrl+Shift+F will also display your FPS in the lower left corner if anyone is curious about that too.

Supposedly it even displays if your bottleneck is CPU or GPU based on the color of the numbers.  I forget which is which though.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12677 on: November 12, 2011, 10:44:53 AM

Oh, I didn't know that, that's neat!

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #12678 on: November 12, 2011, 10:53:23 AM

For the fanbois that have been following all this and it's "public" knowledge, what is the difference between PvP and non-PvP servers? Are there PvP zones on PvP servers? (That I assume would not be PvP zones on the non-PvP server?)

- Viin
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12679 on: November 12, 2011, 10:58:12 AM

PvP servers just auto flag you for PvP past like level 15-20 or so (similar to WoW if you are familiar with that). There aren't many spots where you actually run across the opposing faction for the first 30-35 levels though, so if you are just wanting to beat a Queue for the weekend, feel free, the noob planets themselves are total safe zones, the opposing faction can't even land on them.

There is also apparently a big RvR style planet and the standard battlegrounds on both pve/pvp servers.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12680 on: November 12, 2011, 11:01:19 AM

It sounds like WoW was his first MMO dance. 

Actually what it sounds like is the devolving of creative MMO's, or programmers.   I want to swing a lightsaber, not watch some stupid timer. 

I've played MMO's since UO was released.  Beta tested everything I could sign up for ...So yea, not my first one...one liner dude.

No offense, but if WoW wasn't your first DIKU you'd have been saying the same things when it came out, as the formula there was pretty much the same thing EQ did.

So yeah.

That said, this thing gets a lot right if it makes me want to play a DIKU again.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #12681 on: November 12, 2011, 12:53:40 PM

Supposedly it even displays if your bottleneck is CPU or GPU based on the color of the numbers.  I forget which is which though.

Green = GPU, red = CPU.  You could be getting 200FPS and the number might be red.  It's just letting you know that your bottleneck at 200FPS is your CPU.  It's kinda cool, actually.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #12682 on: November 12, 2011, 01:02:52 PM

Welcome to the video game industry, where feature creep is common and successful ideas are repeated by sequels and other games. I think it's hilarious that you're complaining that SWTOR is too similar to it's predecessors, and instead say you'll be playing Skyrim: the 5th game in a series that has been mechanically identical since Morrowind (3rd). I'm looking forward to playing Skyrim, but it's hardly original. You know, sort of like SWTOR. A game doesn't need to be completely unique to be fun or worth playing. Hardly any are.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12683 on: November 12, 2011, 01:06:54 PM

I'm not sure that's a fair point given that the Elder Scrolls series is pretty unique overall.

Sure, Skyrim is a sequel and not wholly original but it's not really part of a genre where every game is basically the same. And I think it's fair to say that "press the button every time your cooldown is up" is sort of a design rathole that doesn't seem like it should be fundamental to the MMO genre.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 01:10:37 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #12684 on: November 12, 2011, 01:55:57 PM

I dunno guys.   Do things pick up at later levels like LotRO?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12685 on: November 12, 2011, 01:58:46 PM

Define, "pick up"

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12686 on: November 12, 2011, 02:10:44 PM

I dunno guys.   Do things pick up at later levels like LotRO?

I'd tell you but it would break the NDA, right?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #12687 on: November 12, 2011, 02:32:27 PM

If you are in beta. Please for the love of all things agree with the OP.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=608595

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12688 on: November 12, 2011, 02:36:08 PM

Just got home from work.

Position in queue: 2533   ACK! why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12689 on: November 12, 2011, 02:37:44 PM

If you are in beta. Please for the love of all things agree with the OP.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=608595

If you're the OP, I must humbly disagree, for the reasons stated by Jesamyn.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12690 on: November 12, 2011, 02:43:07 PM

Ahaha, yes. That Jessamyn cat who says we don't want a game like that OTHER game. Even the people most into it know that it's a knockoff of it.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #12691 on: November 12, 2011, 02:57:27 PM

Just got home from work.

Position in queue: 2533   ACK! why so serious?
Like I'm going to download 21GB for a few hours over the weekend, for which I'm going to waste a majority at a waiting screen.

I think I'll just skip all this and wait until spring '12, when they've ironed out all issues.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #12692 on: November 12, 2011, 02:59:52 PM

I'm not sure that's a fair point given that the Elder Scrolls series is pretty unique overall.

Sure, Skyrim is a sequel and not wholly original but it's not really part of a genre where every game is basically the same. And I think it's fair to say that "press the button every time your cooldown is up" is sort of a design rathole that doesn't seem like it should be fundamental to the MMO genre.

It's completely fair, especially when you consider that games in the same genre (open world action RPG) have been coming out at-least annually at this point between Fallout(s), Elder Scrolls games, and less popular series like Gothic, Risen, Two Worlds, etc.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #12693 on: November 12, 2011, 03:00:20 PM

I wonder how much of this weekend is testing bringing the servers down then back up to test how the forums and game handles it all :P

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12694 on: November 12, 2011, 03:39:18 PM

Well they've actually said they intend to just reboot all the servers and kick everyone off a few times, just to see if the servers are up to task or not.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12695 on: November 12, 2011, 04:00:07 PM

Yeah that was said up front in something I read.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #12696 on: November 12, 2011, 04:04:42 PM

Well they've actually said they intend to just reboot all the servers and kick everyone off a few times, just to see if the servers are up to task or not.
Like that's not possible to automate.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #12697 on: November 12, 2011, 04:06:24 PM

Canderous Ordo hasn't been hugely crowded, you guys just need to pick better servers.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #12698 on: November 12, 2011, 05:07:15 PM

Canderous Ordo hasn't been hugely crowded, you guys just need to pick better servers.  why so serious?

Seriously. And like someone else said, just jump on a pvp server. There's next to no queues and it's not like you'll be anywhere near the level that it'll affect you.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12699 on: November 12, 2011, 11:49:54 PM

Force Leap + the Jedi Knight AOE things is one of those things I think i could never get tired of.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #12700 on: November 13, 2011, 02:38:34 AM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #12701 on: November 13, 2011, 06:00:35 AM

We spend millions on simulations.  They never exactly represent reality.  It's a test, now is when you do those things.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12702 on: November 13, 2011, 08:25:09 AM

I still can't decide between BH and IA.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #12703 on: November 13, 2011, 08:26:38 AM

I should be a 5 day head starter, I put my pre-order code in the morning they were available first day.  With the stress testing they are doing and the pre-chosen guild-server launches I am debating on taking the first day or 2 off work to play.  In past games playing day 1 often doesnt work out cause servers are down more then they are up but I'm thinking the combination of the stress testing and what they get out of that plus the guild server designations that maybe this will be a game that has little problems...what to do...
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12704 on: November 13, 2011, 08:35:38 AM

We spend millions on simulations.  They never exactly represent reality.  It's a test, now is when you do those things.

If you knew enough about reality to build the simulation, then you wouldn't need the simulation in the first place.

This is probably zen.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: