Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 05:49:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer Newsletter - March 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer Newsletter - March  (Read 33121 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: April 25, 2007, 02:36:43 AM

My gut tells me that the whole "scenario" thing is a recipe for disaster. 

I wouldn't go that far, it's just a recipe for a niche game. As demonstrated by GW.

It might also be a recipe for lots of depressed ex-daoc players. But, in all probability they'll be drowned out by ex-WoWzers wondering why they don't often win GW style sport pvp.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #141 on: April 26, 2007, 09:02:09 PM

To answer Nebu's question:  Mythic still believes RvR can work.  Instatized PvP is hughly popular. So they incorporated it into their RvR.  I don't see what the mystery is.
In that case the mystery is what the hell RvR means. Because if RvR is two or more factions fighting over volatile objectives in a private instance, then also WoW is RvR.

Earlier in this thread people agreed that the RvR is something else at its core. A system that goes deeper than just the superficial division into two or more groups.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: April 26, 2007, 09:44:26 PM

The key difference between regular old PvP and RvR is inclusion. Anyone can join in the RvR fun. WoW does have RvR, it is just limited, poorly planned and secondary to everything else in the game. It is there, it just isn't very good  smiley .

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #143 on: April 26, 2007, 09:50:38 PM

I think half of my deep rooted hatred for DAOC and by proxy, Mythic is the term RvR.  It doesn't mean anything.  It is some stupid marketing speak that people refuse to drop.  The other half is there inability to have anything even resembling class balance for the first six months after launch.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #144 on: April 26, 2007, 10:42:18 PM

The key difference between regular old PvP and RvR is inclusion. Anyone can join in the RvR fun.
Huh? I don't get it. How does it exclude people? If a game supports PvP and you want to PvP you can PvP. RvR is just a fancy term for team-based PvP.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: April 26, 2007, 10:54:20 PM

I don't really agree with the distinction so much, but I can sort of understand the argument: in your usual guild-on-guild PvP, you can be excluded simply because you're not in a certain uber-guild. Multi-side RvR though you're all lumped together as your side so the uber-guild can wind up playing next to Random Guy #1561 as they're all on the same side.

You might not wind up working together at all, and when the ubers pull out you'll be left to rot... but at least you could gleam off some of fun... I guess.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: April 26, 2007, 11:17:42 PM

The key difference between regular old PvP and RvR is inclusion. Anyone can join in the RvR fun.
Huh? I don't get it. How does it exclude people? If a game supports PvP and you want to PvP you can PvP. RvR is just a fancy term for team-based PvP.

In RvR ubers have no reason to exclude noobs. Because noobs do not dilute the effect of ubers or take up a valuable resource (team slots). Further, concepts like keep sieges provide a opportunity for noobs to contribute to realm performance in a context that does not require twitch skills and a shittonne of practice coordinating tactics with your guild. Yes. I said twitch skills.

In Instanced Sport PvP ubers have every reason to exclude noobs, you get uber teams and noob teams, the uber teams don't give a rats ass about the noob teams in their realm, and frankly, they would prefer that the noob teams stay the hell out of 'their' sport pvp system because all they are doing is giving away victory points to the other mob.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer Newsletter - March  
Jump to: