Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:18:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2137094 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12285 on: November 03, 2011, 11:45:12 PM

I'm just going to warn all you BC folks right now...if we really do end up on an RP server, I am going to roleplay the shit out of this.  My nerdboner is now fully engorged.  I may even type in a British accent.

Is that like in italics?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12286 on: November 04, 2011, 12:49:35 AM

I'm just going to warn all you BC folks right now...if we really do end up on an RP server, I am going to roleplay the shit out of this.  My nerdboner is now fully engorged.  I may even type in a British accent.
And I'm just going to warn you that I'm going to respond to you in 4chan script kiddie speak every time you talk to me like that.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12287 on: November 04, 2011, 04:09:32 AM

And I'm just going to warn you that I'm going to respond to you in 4chan script kiddie speak every time you talk to me like that.

That would be fantastic!

In all honesty, I doubt I could manage to keep up any sustained RP for any length of time.  Still, if we are going to be on an RP server, it is probably worth a tiny bit of extra effort.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12288 on: November 04, 2011, 07:15:51 AM

How many of you AC switching Jihadists have played the beta?  
Do you mean those in favor of switching, or those in favor of not allowing switching?

I'm in favor.  I'm in beta.

No worries.  Only a few here have seen me even go close to full RPer.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:18:10 AM by Lantyssa »

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #12289 on: November 04, 2011, 10:00:28 AM

Class stories are for base class, not AC. One of the more compelling arguments for allowing AC swapping.

I have read both sides of the argument here, not without some amusement.
What Sky says above has been my big question. If what he says is true there is no reason not to allow AC switching.
If the class story continues all the way up through lvl 50 then it would of course make no sense to allow you to simply instantly "respec", but if the story ends at lvl 10 as he says then there is no reason not to have some "respec" mechanism in game.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:03:18 AM by Sand »
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #12290 on: November 04, 2011, 10:38:05 AM

By rping the shit out of it you mean the unfortunate landing party from the enterprise who suffered a terrible transporter issue trapping them far far away long long ago?

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12291 on: November 04, 2011, 10:56:25 AM

Role play an actor on the set of the next Star Wars movie, constantly asking where the craft services tables are.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12292 on: November 04, 2011, 10:57:06 AM

but if the story ends at lvl 10 as he says
That's not what I said.

Sage and Shadow would both have the Consular story, which runs the length of the game afaik.

Another roadblock to AC swapping would be that they're often set up different. Continuing the Consular example I've been using thus far, the Shadow uses a double saber and the Sage uses a single saber. So for loot rolling, you now have Shadows rolling on the highly contested single sabers (Sage and both Jedi Knight ACs) as well as their own double sabers. It's not quite as simple as Rift's soul/role switching because they are actually set up as different classes after level 10.

By the time I'd worry about having to reroll another, say Consular again, I'd have already played through every other base class on both sides. Why would I want to reroll a Consular to play Sage before I'd played a BH or a Sith or a Scoundrel etc etc? The Trooper is definitely worth playing if you've already played a BH - the mirroring is very loose and that's not even taking story into account. Seems like a silly concern about not being able to have everything. There are 8 classes per side, the base class thing is just to consolidate the story.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:05:38 AM by Sky »
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #12293 on: November 04, 2011, 11:03:12 AM

Yup. If you want to have the two ACs of the same class you have to play through the "same" experience.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12294 on: November 04, 2011, 11:18:22 AM

The Trooper is definitely worth playing if you've already played a BH - the mirroring is very loose and that's not even taking story into account.

Eh?

They have literally the same skills, stats, abilities and talent trees.

Story and graphics aside, even BW have started referring to them as the same class.

My own plan is largely to play one AC on each side, so I can at least pretend they are different.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12295 on: November 04, 2011, 11:32:40 AM

No.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12296 on: November 04, 2011, 11:45:22 AM

No.

The classes are mirrors but they aren't exact copies.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12297 on: November 04, 2011, 11:55:19 AM

No.

The classes are mirrors but they aren't exact copies.

Brings us back to my re-skinned/re-animated comment earlier.  The numbers and effects that the skills do turn out to be the same, it's the execution and 'visual flair' that differs.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #12298 on: November 04, 2011, 11:57:58 AM

Another roadblock to AC swapping would be that they're often set up different. Continuing the Consular example I've been using thus far, the Shadow uses a double saber and the Sage uses a single saber. So for loot rolling, you now have Shadows rolling on the highly contested single sabers (Sage and both Jedi Knight ACs) as well as their own double sabers. It's not quite as simple as Rift's soul/role switching because they are actually set up as different classes after level 10.

Uh, that's not a roadblock.  In WoW that's a feature.  Hell, my Druid needs 4 different sets of armor and two different weapons and I don't even keep a separate tanking set.

Over and out.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #12299 on: November 04, 2011, 11:58:24 AM

Do Sith skills have goatees?

"Me am play gods"
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #12300 on: November 04, 2011, 12:38:35 PM

Thought I would share this:

Quote from: James Ohlen
Writers finished a major milestone for post release content. We’re going to keep half of the voice actors in Hollywood employed for years.

So, they are already well along on post launch content.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #12301 on: November 04, 2011, 01:13:14 PM

Yup. If you want to have the two ACs of the same class you have to play through the "same" experience.

You could argue this the other way: If I want to play the same class a second time to see how the story differs if I go Goody Twoshoes vs. Evil Bastard, at least I can pick the other AC!

Honestly though, once I heard that gear types were totally different between two ACs of the same class - that seems to be a pretty good reason to limit or not offer switching.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #12302 on: November 04, 2011, 01:30:00 PM

but if the story ends at lvl 10 as he says
That's not what I said.

My mistake. When you said the stories were for base class not AC, I mistakenly assumed you meant they stopped at lvl 10 and for the remaining 40 levels there was no specific class story.
Then based on your clarification I wouldnt support being able to switch AC's at all.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12303 on: November 04, 2011, 01:31:47 PM

Head scratch

-Rasix
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #12304 on: November 04, 2011, 01:39:20 PM

What? Im not in the beta so I dont know whats going on and only have my interpretation of his post. Which could have been read to mean that from levels 1-10 (base class) there is an origin story with associated quests you follow along, but during AC level (11-50) you are doing random quests and world wide story line similar to WoW. This is how I interpreted his post.

He meant the story continues along all 50 levels but which AC you choose doesnt alter that story.

Based on his short post it was an easy mistake/miscommunication to make.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12305 on: November 04, 2011, 01:41:42 PM

I lean toward Bunk's line of thought if I were to ever play the same class through for the other AC. Though again, I'm not sure why you'd do that. Just because they consolidated the story doesn't mean it's the same class any more than it was in EQ2. Unlike EQ2, there's a valid reason (writing and VO overhead) for doing it here. I'm ok with that.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #12306 on: November 04, 2011, 02:00:39 PM

No.
How do you mean, no? The names and animations may be different, but mechanically and numbers-wise, they are identical. Any difference is play style from Trooper to Bounty Hunter is pure perception.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12307 on: November 04, 2011, 02:06:05 PM

I assume thats not early access for non-guilded pre-orders?

http://buy.swtor.com/us/

Look in the fine print at the bottom.  I'll highlight it for you.

CUSTOMERS WHO PRE-ORDER STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME BEFORE THE OFFICIAL LAUNCH. EARLY GAME ACCESS IS THE PERIOD OF TIME BEFORE THE OFFICIAL GAME LAUNCH WHEN PRE-ORDER CUSTOMERS MAY ACCESS THE GAME. EARLY GAME ACCESS MAY BE UP TO 5 DAYS. THE LENGTH OF YOUR EARLY GAME ACCESS DEPENDS ON THE DATE AND ORDER IN WHICH YOU REDEEMED YOUR PRE-ORDER CODE AT THE CODE REDEMPTION CENTER. SEE PRE-ORDER FAQ FOR MORE DETAILS.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12308 on: November 04, 2011, 03:17:06 PM

No.

Yes. Mechanically they are IDENTICAL. Same abilities/talents/numbers. The differences are purely visual.

The only actual mechanical difference, is that a BH would use Pistol or Two-Pistols, while a Trooper would use BlasterRifle or Assault Cannon. Everything else is window dressing.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12309 on: November 04, 2011, 04:56:58 PM

No.

Yes. Mechanically they are IDENTICAL. Same abilities/talents/numbers. The differences are purely visual.

The only actual mechanical difference, is that a BH would use Pistol or Two-Pistols, while a Trooper would use BlasterRifle or Assault Cannon. Everything else is window dressing.

And if you're playing this just as a numbers game, rather than for the experience and the fun, go play Eve and call it a day.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #12310 on: November 04, 2011, 05:06:42 PM

Well, why say that? It is a valid point of contention to note that they've ended up with the classes as just mirrors of each other.

Does seem like kind of a bummer (I'd want a sniper to be different from a gunslinger, por exemple) but realistically it's evidence of sanity in the faction balance design.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12311 on: November 04, 2011, 05:21:55 PM

No.

And if you're playing this just as a numbers game, rather than for the experience and the fun, go play Eve and call it a day.

Who said I'm doing that though? I like window dressing!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #12312 on: November 04, 2011, 05:39:07 PM

<fistbump> I know in my heart I am going to RP my smuggler. And I don't care who in Slap knows it!

God Save the Horn Players
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12313 on: November 04, 2011, 06:32:43 PM

A smuggler of raisins?
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #12314 on: November 04, 2011, 06:54:31 PM

You are always playing both, unless you are simple-minded enough you honestly don't notice or enough of a hard-core RP nerd you can overlook it.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12315 on: November 04, 2011, 07:52:39 PM

No.
Ok, that's the end of the discussion, since we can't make any sense out of what each other is saying without breaking NDA.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12316 on: November 04, 2011, 08:26:18 PM

Honestly not sure I could maintain the silly accents long enough to RP on the republic side.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12317 on: November 04, 2011, 11:30:45 PM

You are always playing both, unless you are simple-minded enough you honestly don't notice or enough of a hard-core RP nerd you can overlook it.

Or, you can enjoy the goddamn story and turn off the min/maxer part of your brain and just play.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #12318 on: November 05, 2011, 01:09:17 AM

Or, you can enjoy the goddamn story and turn off the min/maxer part of your brain and just play.

Enjoying the story or not has little to do with what we're discussing.

If the mirror's story is engaging enough to overshadow playing a very similar experience mechanically (assuming you're playing the mirror AC as well), especially if you've put a lot of time into a main on the other side, that's great.  When it's not though, you're stuck playing a less powerful version of a character you already have with a different skin.

That's a weakness.  Maybe it's one that you don't care about strongly, but it's there and a drawback to playing classes that you've already played the other side's version of.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12319 on: November 05, 2011, 02:00:47 AM

Enjoying the story or not has little to do with what we're discussing.

If the mirror's story is engaging enough to overshadow playing a very similar experience mechanically (assuming you're playing the mirror AC as well), especially if you've put a lot of time into a main on the other side, that's great.  When it's not though, you're stuck playing a less powerful version of a character you already have with a different skin.

That's a weakness.  Maybe it's one that you don't care about strongly, but it's there and a drawback to playing classes that you've already played the other side's version of.

They may be mirrors but they play a bit differently, not a whole lot but enough to make it a bit of a different experience.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:14:04 AM by Evildrider »
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: