Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:02:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2137074 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6475 on: June 01, 2011, 11:23:58 AM

Some forums get the Star Wars MMO thread they want, other forums get the Star Wars MMO thread they deserve.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mnemon
Terracotta Army

All this swearing upsets me. I'm sensitive.

Reply #6476 on: June 01, 2011, 11:43:08 AM

I want a useful droid. As in a droid I can say "Droid, be a healer because screw this whole LFG thing" or "Droid, be a pocket tank".

Then again, I've always been drawn to pet classes.

That's what the companion system is supposed to be, that little extra roundedness you need for your character.  With the exception that you can't use them in groups.  I read that I think you can get at least 4 different companions (though I think you can only take 1 on a mission at a time).  So, it should be pretty flexible for filling whatever needs you're missing.

My favorite thing announced about them though is that you can send one off on a collection mission to go collect the crafting supplies you need and then have another one of them craft the item you want while you're off doing other things.

Also, cyborg is one of the race options so, yeah, pretty much a protocol droid.

they keep going back and forth on companions and when they can be used.

after some backlash, i believe they changed direction and will allow companions to be in groups and also accompany you in dungeons.

but the catch is they'll count as one of the four people in the ground.

(they're not, however, allowed in the battlegrounds).
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #6477 on: June 01, 2011, 11:50:21 AM

Companions in BG's would be awesome, I can already see it now

"OMFG Companion lag!!"
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6478 on: June 01, 2011, 11:55:11 AM

I want a useful droid. As in a droid I can say "Droid, be a healer because screw this whole LFG thing" or "Droid, be a pocket tank".

Then again, I've always been drawn to pet classes.

That's what the companion system is supposed to be, that little extra roundedness you need for your character.  With the exception that you can't use them in groups.  I read that I think you can get at least 4 different companions (though I think you can only take 1 on a mission at a time).  So, it should be pretty flexible for filling whatever needs you're missing.

My favorite thing announced about them though is that you can send one off on a collection mission to go collect the crafting supplies you need and then have another one of them craft the item you want while you're off doing other things.

Also, cyborg is one of the race options so, yeah, pretty much a protocol droid.

they keep going back and forth on companions and when they can be used.

after some backlash, i believe they changed direction and will allow companions to be in groups and also accompany you in dungeons.

but the catch is they'll count as one of the four people in the ground.

(they're not, however, allowed in the battlegrounds).

Yeah, see, if you'd read my post right after the one you quoted... awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Mnemon
Terracotta Army

All this swearing upsets me. I'm sensitive.

Reply #6479 on: June 01, 2011, 12:05:51 PM

this is what happens when you answer a thread inside the quotey box  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6480 on: June 01, 2011, 05:57:34 PM

Some forums get the Star Wars MMO thread they want, other forums get the Star Wars MMO thread they deserve.

"The SWOR Thread We Deserve" needs to be the title of this thread stat. Onwards to page 200!

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #6481 on: June 01, 2011, 08:13:39 PM

"The SWOR Thread We Deserve" needs to be the title of this thread stat. Onwards to page 200!

Hey now, you know you enjoy some low-level pvp.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6482 on: June 01, 2011, 11:35:45 PM

No, I think UnSub wins.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6483 on: June 02, 2011, 03:59:50 AM

No, I think UnSub wins.

It'd work better if we had a pic of Gary Oldman to go with it.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6484 on: June 02, 2011, 04:42:57 AM

No, I think UnSub wins.

It'd work better if we had a pic of Gary Oldman to go with it.

Better?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6485 on: June 02, 2011, 05:28:57 AM

Indeed.  New topic: Choreographed Combat

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6561274#edit6561274

One quite important question: Given that you stated that the abilities can hit or miss, can the player work to improve some stats in order to never miss ? Because looking at WoW for example, players can maximise the hit/expertise stats.
The Old Republic is a 'hit heavy' game - the base chance to miss is fairly low. Level difference and some other considerations can change that and the player can improve their hit rate if they desire to do so as well.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6568884#edit6568884

Does SW:TOR follow the same mechanics as other games where melee DPS can essentially do more damage if they are attacking from behind removing the parry mechanic?
It depends.

Attacking a Force user from behind doesn't give you any advantage. Their superior awareness and Lightsaber training gives them 360 degree melee and blaster bolt deflection capability.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

For standard creatures, you're not going to do more damage (unless you use a positional ability), but you may reduce their chance to defend a bit.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6486 on: June 02, 2011, 05:33:41 AM

Better?

I was thinking more Commissioner Gordan at the end of Dark Knight, but maybe that's a bit too on the nose.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6487 on: June 02, 2011, 05:45:44 AM

Better?

I was thinking more Commissioner Gordan at the end of Dark Knight, but maybe that's a bit too on the nose.

Always weird to me when I see actors that are extremely flexible like that.  It's a good thing, for sure, but when I saw Apollo 13 right after seeing Forest Gump, I was laughing at myself half of the movie expecting Tom Hanks to relapse at some point  awesome, for real

But yeah, getting back...I also heard through the grapevine (contrary to the info post link on SWTOR's forums) that auto-facing combat IS IN for PvP.  So what say you internet jack-rabbits to that?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:49:01 AM by luckton »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6488 on: June 02, 2011, 06:41:57 AM

That PvP in a DIKU is silly.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6489 on: June 02, 2011, 06:46:10 AM

You must be in a good mood because that's very very kind.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6490 on: June 02, 2011, 07:07:39 AM

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6491 on: June 02, 2011, 07:30:30 AM

I don't think it's necessarily silly; I think people nowadays should have an expectation that "PvE game is going to be PvE-centric, don't hate for having PvP be second banana".  The same could be said vice-versa for PvP games (GW, EVE, etc).  Devs do the best they can with what they can control about the game with the rules and regulations that they can enforce.  Players are always the wild card, and will always try to find ways to bend/break the rules.

Auto-facing in PvP removes what little twitch-motor mechanic you have in a MMO, which allows those with less-than-optimal hand-eye coordination (read: keyboard turners) at least a better chance and opportunity to play without being outright destroyed.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6492 on: June 02, 2011, 07:54:51 AM

I disagree, it's silly. It's rock/paper/scissors with a gear modifier. In some cases the modifier is so big that rock > all.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6493 on: June 02, 2011, 08:13:59 AM

Not to mention the resources squandered trying to shoehorn pvp into a pve design, and the constant barrage of nerfs thanks to pvp effects (I'm looking at you, Rift). At the very least, pvp effects need to be split off from the pve effects. Target type = player, apply pvp version of an ability. Given those two factors, I'd take a step beyond saying it's silly and say it's stupid.

Pvp with power differential rewards just elevates the winners and kicks down the losers in an ever-widening gap, until there's just a small core of hardcore players. Pvp without power differential rewards elevates the hardcore pve players (raiders) an another kind of every-widening gap. Exclusionary design is a dead-end. The sooner developers can grasp that, the better (for the majority of gamers, at the expense of the minority or hardcore).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:17:22 AM by Sky »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6494 on: June 02, 2011, 09:43:30 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6495 on: June 02, 2011, 11:54:04 AM

You didn't actually change the meaning of what she said there.

Not that I particularly agree, diku PVP can be plenty entertaining.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6496 on: June 02, 2011, 12:53:33 PM

Auto-Facing and Auto-Follow is fine.

Inflation is bad, invest in stat caps if you want pvp in a diku.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6497 on: June 02, 2011, 01:44:25 PM

Yeah.. GW has autofollow in pvp, and it's still pretty darn competitive. Better than games where you can cheese a latency advantage by repeatedly running through people, anyway.  awesome, for real

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6498 on: June 02, 2011, 01:48:34 PM

Autofollow and autoturn is autofail.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6499 on: June 02, 2011, 01:51:58 PM

A lot of this could be solved if they made keyboard turning as fast as you want  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #6500 on: June 02, 2011, 02:24:54 PM

A lot of this could be solved if they made keyboard turning as fast as you want  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

But then couldn't lightsabre users spin around so fast they actually became an all-blocking, total destruction whirlwind of doom? It would be madness!
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6501 on: June 02, 2011, 03:11:08 PM

Autofollow and autoturn is autofail.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Yup.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6502 on: June 02, 2011, 03:34:59 PM

Prefer having /stick or /follow type things available myself, as it makes things a lot more competitive for people without voice chat - much easier to bark out some commands or whatever in chat when you can take your fingers off the controls more easily.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6503 on: June 02, 2011, 07:23:48 PM

EA wants to try that whole "Steam" thing again.

This is, what, their 3rd or 4th attempt at launching a download on-demand shop?  And they're locking out Steam, GOG, Direct2Drive and others?   And trying to turn it into a Facebook for games of their own?  swamp poop

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6504 on: June 02, 2011, 07:34:14 PM

This is, what, their 3rd or 4th attempt at launching a download on-demand shop?  And they're locking out Steam, GOG, Direct2Drive and others?   And trying to turn it into a Facebook for games of their own?  swamp poop

Try a battle.net.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6505 on: June 02, 2011, 08:09:56 PM

Try a battle.net.

I just don't see the need for every publisher out there to make their own service.  There's already several reputable ones out there.  If this is the way EA Corporate wants to things though, I guess I'm heading down to the Buy More on launch night.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6506 on: June 02, 2011, 08:19:20 PM

It wouldn't be so bad if the companies who try to copy Steam didn't cock it all up with draconian download DRM or ridiculous client errors/slowness.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6507 on: June 02, 2011, 08:51:31 PM

Yay corporate greed getting in the way of steam pre-loading. Now I get to take the chance of waiting days for an amazon.com delivery or driving 20 miles to best buy and hoping they have a couple in stock on launch day. Thanks, EA.

Unless somehow they're going to suddenly and magically become competent and have a couple weeks of pre-load so their servers don't get destroyed by people downloading something with five hundred bajillion hours of voice overs. I'm sure that's it.
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #6508 on: June 03, 2011, 02:03:52 AM

Those crazy muddy funsters at EA are at it again - download japery and release day chaos akimbo...  why so serious?

Anyone bet on a release date at E3?

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #6509 on: June 03, 2011, 02:09:23 AM

As I side/related note, GOG have just made a deal with EA to release their back catalogue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQCUMUnVpg

No idea what this might mean in terms of an EA delivery publishing servisisimical device if anything.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: