Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:14:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2137095 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5775 on: March 27, 2011, 11:57:29 PM

I guess?  I mean sure, a Mithril chain mail is going to look nicer than a plain chain mail, but I never assumed a +2 Plate Armor looked any different from normal Plate, in fact, most of the time you needed to use detect magic on things just to even know if they were magical. 

Pretty sure even the D&D rules specified that the intrinsic value of the material determined the power of the enchantment it could carry.

This is dependent on the edition, but yeah.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5776 on: March 28, 2011, 12:24:01 AM

Fighting a dragon in an evening gown is only slightly more less ridiculous than this:

*edit mraglgegagle*

I still say it looks like some hunter poured glue on himself and rolled around on a beach for 10 minutes.

"This is mah armor!"  swamp poop

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5777 on: March 28, 2011, 05:13:10 AM

The argument speaking rationally to the pros and cons of appearance tabs become completely irrelevant when you make armor that looks like that. It reduces your game to being forced to provide appearance tabs, or be convicted of war crimes.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5778 on: March 28, 2011, 05:29:05 AM

Why did the artist decide to attach large fishing weights to the armor?  How does that make it more awesome?  How can you look at that outfit and not know that, at least a little, Blizzard hates it's customers?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5779 on: March 28, 2011, 05:59:35 AM

Just hunters & Paladins, who are subjected to the worst of the looks and mechanics.  But that's been a given for 5 years now.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5780 on: March 28, 2011, 07:35:56 AM

Just hunters & Paladins, who are subjected to the worst of the looks and mechanics.  But that's been a given for 5 years now.

Flight control, we are cleared for takeoff:

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5781 on: March 28, 2011, 07:54:02 AM

lol, Gundam-paladin, especially the human male.

And to be clear, I love fun - the fake murloc suit that you get to wear in that quest line in WotLK was genius.  I jumped the entire time I was in it, and laughed 95% of the time while jumping.  Just fantastic. 

Forcing your playerbase to wear the hunter fish-entangled-in-lure-encrusted-fishing-line set to be in the highest-level of gear, well that's just mean.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #5782 on: March 28, 2011, 08:07:02 AM

appearance tab = every single jedi regardless of gender dressed as slave leia.
I can't tell if that's supposed to be pro or against.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #5783 on: March 28, 2011, 08:20:08 AM

The tier 6 shoulder thing you're looking at is a light effect and not a "physical" piece of the armor. It's a glowy book.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5784 on: March 28, 2011, 08:50:54 AM

You'd think they could afford shoes.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5785 on: March 28, 2011, 09:04:16 AM

They're unimportant once lift-off has been achieved.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5786 on: March 28, 2011, 09:27:16 AM

Be a Paladin - Feel the wind between your toes!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5787 on: March 28, 2011, 12:37:09 PM

Yea, that isn't even remotely the worst paladin suit.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5788 on: March 28, 2011, 12:41:48 PM

It isn't even the most Gundam looking one.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5789 on: March 28, 2011, 01:04:27 PM

The Paladin armors do highlight how useless the idea of using gear visual to gauge class power/abilities in WoW is.

Go ahead and tell me if the armor Ingmar just linked is the tanking suit, healing suit or DPS suit.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5790 on: March 28, 2011, 01:31:48 PM

Edit: This topic got outdated real fast.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:34:42 PM by Ice Cream Emperor »
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5791 on: March 28, 2011, 01:43:37 PM

Why did the artist decide to attach large fishing weights to the armor?  How does that make it more awesome?  How can you look at that outfit and not know that, at least a little, Blizzard hates it's customers?

I suspect it's like... have you ever had a funny comment and banter it back and forth, and everyone's laughing even when the topic goes to stupidtown? I think that's where Blizzard's armor design is.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5792 on: March 28, 2011, 01:43:51 PM

The Paladin armors do highlight how useless the idea of using gear visual to gauge class power/abilities in WoW is.

Go ahead and tell me if the armor Ingmar just linked is the tanking suit, healing suit or DPS suit.  Ohhhhh, I see.

This tier was for going clubbing at the Boneshakers.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #5793 on: March 28, 2011, 01:46:09 PM

Anyone that can honestly say they wouldn't mind looking at their character in the aforementioned armour sets needs to get their head checked, with the possible exception of the first paladin one (because it's rendering incorrectly in that screenshot).
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #5794 on: March 28, 2011, 01:47:55 PM

I got worse and worse looking all throughout WOTLK. It never got really bad, mostly because my battleground scrub PVP armor wasn't important enough to "deserve" being covered in glowing dicks or whatever, but I would have happily worn my Savage Saronite blue set forever if it weren't for stats.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5795 on: March 28, 2011, 01:51:31 PM

I honestly don't care about that stuff so much in World of Warcraft just because that's the context that's been set for that game/world*. I would have a huge problem looking like that in, say, LOTRO.

To bring it around, nothing they've shown us about the character looks in SWTOR really looks out of place for the context they've already given us in KOTOR 1/2.

* That said, Warrior T2 is and will always be completely retarded.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #5796 on: March 28, 2011, 01:52:24 PM

Tier 9 plate was just fine.

Oh, wait, you played Alliance. Bwahahaha.  awesome, for real
Anyway, speaking of gear appearance and SWTOR (as we were a few pages back), I'm guessing that teh shiney for epix lightsabers is going to be weird coloured crystals? Or are we going to end up with light-katanas, light-zweihanders and light-sword-chucks (yo)?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #5797 on: March 28, 2011, 01:57:45 PM

Anyway, speaking of gear appearance and SWTOR (as we were a few pages back), I'm guessing that teh shiney for epix lightsabers is going to be weird coloured crystals? Or are we going to end up with light-katanas, light-zweihanders and light-sword-chucks (yo)?
Maybe higher tier lightsabers simply get bigger Ohhhhh, I see.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #5798 on: March 28, 2011, 02:07:42 PM

I don't get how anyone but troopers and bounty hunters will look more and more badass with better gear. I mean, troopers/bounty hunters can get bigger badder weapons and "walking battle tank" armor.

Even at the end of KOTOR 1/2 your best armor as a Jedi were swanky robes. Swanky glowy robes I guess?

Also in terms of "ready for takeoff" no one mentioned the worst: Warrior Tier 5.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5799 on: March 28, 2011, 02:26:19 PM

Maybe higher tier lightsabers simply get bigger Ohhhhh, I see.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5800 on: March 28, 2011, 02:30:43 PM

Revan's Robes were simple but very nice.  It's the one hack I make to KotOR when I do replays, simply because I like their look so much.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #5801 on: March 28, 2011, 02:37:36 PM

At least I hope the "it's" in the last sentence was an intentional reference to the horrible misuse of that poor pronoun we can notice basically..well, everywhere, nowadays.

Sorry, "grammar nazi" mode - off

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5802 on: March 28, 2011, 03:03:47 PM

I don't get how anyone but troopers and bounty hunters will look more and more badass with better gear. I mean, troopers/bounty hunters can get bigger badder weapons and "walking battle tank" armor.

Even at the end of KOTOR 1/2 your best armor as a Jedi were swanky robes. Swanky glowy robes I guess?

More and more ridiculous eyewear.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #5803 on: March 28, 2011, 04:27:06 PM

Personally, I dont really have any problem with that Hunter Murloc Suit, as a set of hunter armor.  My only real problem with it is that it does not really fit thematicly with any of the raids you get it from.  Stuff should have been dragon themed / twilight themed, and the Murloc Suit should have been left for the Abyssal maw Raid.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5804 on: March 28, 2011, 04:47:48 PM

I'm guessing that teh shiney for epix lightsabers is going to be weird coloured crystals? Or are we going to end up with light-katanas, light-zweihanders and light-sword-chucks (yo)?

I always got the impression that they were going down that path with the prequel movies. 
"Okay, in the first one, Maul's got a lightsaber, except it's like... a double lightsaber!"
"And then in the second one, Annakin gets two at once, dual lightsaber action!"
"And then in the third one, they get... um, like... four lightsabers?  I dunno, I'll have to work on that one."
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5805 on: March 28, 2011, 05:00:36 PM

As ridiculous as most armor suits are in WoW, it gets even worse in that you rarely get to wear the actual matching suit. 2 pieces of this tier, 3 pieces of that tier, bunch of random stand alone purples.  awesome, for real

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5806 on: March 28, 2011, 07:36:20 PM

light-sword-chucks (yo) will from this point forward be my official fandom weapon
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #5807 on: March 28, 2011, 08:30:25 PM

Again, another problem that could be solved by cosmetic slots or the D.C. Universe costume lock option.

Your reward for collecting all of the armor/lightsaber doodads available is the ability to put together whatever look you want and keep it that way.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #5808 on: March 28, 2011, 08:46:53 PM

Again, another problem that could be solved by cosmetic slots or the D.C. Universe costume lock option.

Your reward for collecting all of the armor/lightsaber doodads available is the ability to put together whatever look you want and keep it that way.

yes....Future devs please read this.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5809 on: March 29, 2011, 05:41:47 AM

yes....Future devs please read this.

Agreed...the way DCUO presented this was perfect. 

Seems Jedi/Sith in this game will get fancier robes, and then their armor underneath the robes will also get fancier.  So far, it looks okay to me as long as it doesn't get too far out of hand.  In one of those vids that Lucas posted, it appeared the newbie Jedi had a training saber of some sort.  I find that to be...different.

While we're on the topic:  Absolutely all the armor in WoW looks ridiculous and unrealistic.  I'm not sure why we should expect it to be otherwise.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: