Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:51:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2137097 times)
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13720 on: November 24, 2011, 12:32:12 AM

Races are purely cosmetic, if that helps.

My woes are purely cosmetic Ohhhhh, I see.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #13721 on: November 24, 2011, 01:19:15 AM

Beefalo twi'lek dude. Trust me.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

God Save the Horn Players
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13722 on: November 24, 2011, 01:57:20 AM

can I be an evil twi'lek girl lady my what do we have here?

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13723 on: November 24, 2011, 02:11:14 AM

Twi'lek ladies aren't evil.  They are just very, very naughty.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #13724 on: November 24, 2011, 02:33:50 AM

The holy grail here would be flexible raid sizes, by letting you sub a companion or two in or out, or by adjusting the boss difficulty.
Yeah, but that's one of those things that just seems easy to do. Fudging some the numbers up/down 1-2 people on a raid automatically is easy, but your encounter mechanics are limited by the minimum number of players.

I was going to include that in my post, but onward to 400!

Someone should try to emulate Tomb of Horrors in a MMOG dungeon.

Heroic Shadow Labyrinth.  Or maybe Heroic Auchenai Crypts.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:37:10 AM by Sheepherder »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #13725 on: November 24, 2011, 02:42:29 AM

Fordel hasn't posted the trooper .gif in like 50 pages. What is this world coming to.

Also, yub yub.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13726 on: November 24, 2011, 02:58:15 AM

I think I finally figured out the whole "red zone" retardedness. They're looking to make a buck on the initial box sales, without driving the prices down in Europe, which is why they're only launching in the big PC markets in eastern europe - Poland, Czech Republic, Russia and Greece (yeah, 14 salaries a year does make you a big video game market). The general rule of thumb is that games retail a lot cheaper in those countries than the rest of Europe. A couple of examples - both Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 retailed at ~30eu in Poland and even cheaper in Russia. I just did a quick check and TOR is retailing at 45eu in Poland, which is probably the most expensive PC release in recent years.

On the flip side, the trade prices of pre-paid cards are a lot lower than what is normal. Which will make retailers feature them and even offer them cheaper than what you pay online to drive sales, which I guess is their plan to retain customers in those countries.

There you go, this should keep you going for 7+ pages. I accept payment in space gold. 

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #13727 on: November 24, 2011, 03:13:51 AM

can I be an evil twi'lek girl lady my what do we have here?

You can, but that's boring. Plus they're only allowed to be Hollywood fat. :(

God Save the Horn Players
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13728 on: November 24, 2011, 04:49:59 AM

where can I check out available races? Knowing me I'll waste an hour and a half making my character at the start if I don't put in some research :P

Human
Cyborg
Twi'lek
Zabrak (2)
Rattataki
Chiss
Sith Pureblood
Mirialan
Miraluka

Each class has a choice of four of five of these, with Rattataki, Chiss, and Sith being Imperial, and Mirialan and Miraluka being Republic.  Zabrak have slightly different looks depending upon side.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13729 on: November 24, 2011, 04:55:48 AM

With the NDA down I'm surprised I'm not really seeing positive reviews for the game's stickyness, and although I wouldn't mind a box, it's something I can probably get in a year's time as a free trial or free to play. I don't see the population being all that large, and I expected to see more advertising to go with the video gaming site hype. I also am not totally sold on a Single Player game in Multi-player, with Cut-scenes and voice-overs too much either.

Am I missing something or is the run speed like really slow? Was this networking issues? Is there some kind of speed burst? Am I gonna be bugging people for SoWs?

Also why did my jump look like I was trying to be Spider-Man?
The low levels don't make me inclined to think it has any stickiness.  My interest is purely to play with friends and to tide me over until GW2 launches.  It's pretty, the story will keep me entertained enough, but they'll need a lot more sandbox elements or activities to keep me hooked.

Run is slow.  At 15 you get an out of combat sprint ability.  Around 25 you can get a 'speeder' for 40k training plus 5k per vehicle.

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13730 on: November 24, 2011, 05:02:09 AM

That led me to http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic_Wiki which has the races for all classes, thanks!

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #13731 on: November 24, 2011, 06:03:31 AM

With the NDA down I'm surprised I'm not really seeing positive reviews for the game's stickyness, and although I wouldn't mind a box, it's something I can probably get in a year's time as a free trial or free to play. I don't see the population being all that large, and I expected to see more advertising to go with the video gaming site hype. I also am not totally sold on a Single Player game in Multi-player, with Cut-scenes and voice-overs too much either.

Am I missing something or is the run speed like really slow? Was this networking issues? Is there some kind of speed burst? Am I gonna be bugging people for SoWs?

Also why did my jump look like I was trying to be Spider-Man?
The low levels don't make me inclined to think it has any stickiness.  My interest is purely to play with friends and to tide me over until GW2 launches. 

What, what, WHAT? Have you played all the stories? That shit still has me tied up at startup trying to figure out which one I want to play on a particular session.

I will agree run is slow as shit for starters though.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #13732 on: November 24, 2011, 06:37:15 AM

Sigh :  Shiny box in the middle of the official website telling you to pre-order + discount on amazon italy = me purchasing the collector's edition for € 134  Shaking fist

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13733 on: November 24, 2011, 06:43:26 AM

Wait, what? Uncharted's collector's is in a fucking briefcase and doesn't cost as much  ACK!

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #13734 on: November 24, 2011, 07:02:30 AM

I like the fact that you can be play a really evil and arrogant character if you like. Single player RPGs often have conversation options which involve your character behaving badly, but you tend to be at a disadvantage if you choose them because the NPCs treat you like the asshole you are. There's an obvious "right" choice to make. In this game, if you want to be the intimidating Imperial agent or sith who makes people quake in their boots then you can, right from the start.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13735 on: November 24, 2011, 07:05:16 AM

What, what, WHAT? Have you played all the stories? That shit still has me tied up at startup trying to figure out which one I want to play on a particular session.
No, I haven't played all the stories.  I'm trying to save most of them for release so I don't get spoiled too badly.  They're enough to keep me entertained for a bit, but they are not great works of literature, nor do they have me hanging at the edge of my seat wondering what happens next.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #13736 on: November 24, 2011, 07:23:06 AM

No, I haven't played all the stories.  I'm trying to save most of them for release so I don't get spoiled too badly.  They're enough to keep me entertained for a bit, but they are not great works of literature, nor do they have me hanging at the edge of my seat wondering what happens next.

I played a Sith Warrior to level 6 and liked the way, even at that low level, the story's layers of internal politics had started to create tension for me. I began thinking about who I wanted to support and who to betray, or whether to ignore them for a bit while I smacked around a few tomb diggers. Edge of my seat? No. Great literature? Please -- this is space opera and they've never had pretensions of examining the human condition via a video game. But engaging, yes. I do want to see what will unfold next.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13737 on: November 24, 2011, 07:26:54 AM

I like the fact that you can be play a really evil and arrogant character if you like. Single player RPGs often have conversation options which involve your character behaving badly, but you tend to be at a disadvantage if you choose them because the NPCs treat you like the asshole you are. There's an obvious "right" choice to make. In this game, if you want to be the intimidating Imperial agent or sith who makes people quake in their boots then you can, right from the start.

Just having the ability to make your character act a certain way - even if there's no mechanical advantage to doing so or both options lead to the same conclusion - increases my enjoyment of the game immensely. It's kind of like all those optional dialogue choices in KOTOR II that hint at you actually knowing people you meet that you are reasonably likely to have known previously instead of being forced to have them explain to you how you know them.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #13738 on: November 24, 2011, 07:38:09 AM

I just noticed in a video that when chosing answers in the dialogue tree it actually tells you if you'll get dark/light side points with your answer - i never noticed that while playing and made a couple of choices that gave me lightside points I wasn't expecting.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Adam Hunt
Terracotta Army

Reply #13739 on: November 24, 2011, 08:01:35 AM

I just noticed in a video that when chosing answers in the dialogue tree it actually tells you if you'll get dark/light side points with your answer - i never noticed that while playing and made a couple of choices that gave me lightside points I wasn't expecting.

Allo all.

The should be a setting (I don't have an active beta) that lets you turn that off and just play according to your own guilty conscience. ;)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #13740 on: November 24, 2011, 08:05:01 AM

I played a Sith Warrior to level 6 and liked the way, even at that low level, the story's layers of internal politics had started to create tension for me. I began thinking about who I wanted to support and who to betray, or whether to ignore them for a bit while I smacked around a few tomb diggers. Edge of my seat? No. Great literature? Please -- this is space opera and they've never had pretensions of examining the human condition via a video game. But engaging, yes. I do want to see what will unfold next.

My experience in the Sith Warrior playthrough was a little different. My main thought through the bits I played, as I looked at my master was, "I can't wait to shove a lightsaber up your ass. How the fuck did a fat bastard like you survive to become a Sith Lord?"

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13741 on: November 24, 2011, 08:11:57 AM

Is there a list of servers and types anywhere yet?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #13742 on: November 24, 2011, 08:14:43 AM

Allo all.

The should be a setting (I don't have an active beta) that lets you turn that off and just play according to your own guilty conscience. ;)

I think that as long as you don't mouse over the conversation wheel, it won't appear. I just make my decisions using the number keys.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #13743 on: November 24, 2011, 08:28:43 AM

My experience in the Sith Warrior playthrough was a little different. My main thought through the bits I played, as I looked at my master was, "I can't wait to shove a lightsaber up your ass. How the fuck did a fat bastard like you survive to become a Sith Lord?"

So I'm guessing you chose the "raging-hothead" answers whereas I chose the "obedient-but-seething" answers... either way, the Sith Academy is what I would imagine mirror-universe version of Star Trek's Star Fleet Academy would be like.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #13744 on: November 24, 2011, 08:34:06 AM

Ideally, I would like to play my imperial agent in a way that he/she slowly starts to develop a personal code of honour. So, yes, very loyal to the empire but not a heartless bitch. Hopefully the plot will allow me to play that way.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13745 on: November 24, 2011, 08:39:56 AM

From interviews with Alex Freed, that sounds exactly like what he was shooting for with the light side of the IA.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #13746 on: November 24, 2011, 08:52:52 AM

If the choice you make is a significant story altering choice, it will adjust your LS/DS accordingly.  Moussing over the options will indicate if such a choice will do that.

I've had some choices where there's one LS option and the other two don't do anything, but most altering choices are either pick the good or pick the evil.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #13747 on: November 24, 2011, 08:54:28 AM

While I've no more the time nor the willingness to get heavily involved in the MMO roleplaying communities (actually, I was only during the 1997-2000 UO period), I like to do so casually (casual in-character chat with random guys on the road, in a cantina, etc.). It will be interesting to see how the roleplayers will put together the personal path leading to the end of the main story, and the more "mundane" interactions with other characters (same and opposite faction). I guess something similar happens in LOTRO.

Personally, I would basically "detach" the main storyline from the rest of the interactions: while talking to other players, I'm just one more trooper, smuggler, inquisitor etc.

Adam Hunt
Terracotta Army

Reply #13748 on: November 24, 2011, 09:31:26 AM

I think that as long as you don't mouse over the conversation wheel, it won't appear. I just make my decisions using the number keys.
Don't quote me on this but I'm 90% certain I saw it. Check in general settings down near the bottom. You may have to scroll.

Also, question. How's the TOR Chapter looking for allies? 4 and 4 already? If I understand correctly all this feature does it put you all on the same server?
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #13749 on: November 24, 2011, 09:41:28 AM

Do lightsabers sound better at higher levels?  Because the first few I used literally sounded like plastic tubes spinning in the wind. 
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #13750 on: November 24, 2011, 09:53:04 AM

Do lightsabers sound better at higher levels?  Because the first few I used literally sounded like plastic tubes spinning in the wind. 

Considering that vibroblades are essentially plastic energized tubes, I'd say th:ey got the sound effect spot on.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #13751 on: November 24, 2011, 10:33:27 AM

Do the light side and dark side have consequences for your character.
For example like ending up a fallen paladin.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13752 on: November 24, 2011, 10:40:30 AM

Ideally, I would like to play my imperial agent in a way that he/she slowly starts to develop a personal code of honour. So, yes, very loyal to the empire but not a heartless bitch. Hopefully the plot will allow me to play that way.
It's quite possible.  My Sith go very much light-side.  That doesn't mean they're nice.
Kind of?  Mainly appearance.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 10:42:33 AM by Lantyssa »

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13753 on: November 24, 2011, 11:33:31 AM

Do lightsabers sound better at higher levels?  Because the first few I used literally sounded like plastic tubes spinning in the wind.  

Each lightsaber hilt has different sounds as well as looks. The best thing to do is grab every saber you can find and see which look and sound you like the best, and then keep that sucker for the rest of the game. Most all lightsabers are fully moddable, and you can rip out mods from better-but-uglier models and slap them into your current neato-keen one to keep it up to date.

For instance, here I am using the lightsaber I got in the level 9 flashpoint at level 22, with current mods:

Also, for any fans of the Star Wars Legacy comics, the saber hilt models that the Imperial Knights use is in-game. My Sith Warrior a couple builds back had one.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:35:09 AM by koro »
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #13754 on: November 24, 2011, 11:54:47 AM

Kind of?  Mainly appearance.

I really, really do like the Dark Side Corruption. I deliberately made my human female Jedi Consular as pasty-faced as possible and chose every DS  option. At DS 1 I got lovely yellow eyes! So cool.

More! I want more! Time to be evil.

Right - I'm off to make calamitous decisions that will lead to unnecessary deaths and then I'll sodomize my elderly master with a prize-winning leek.

Dark Side emo' coolness here I come.

*grabs leek*

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: