Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:43:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: GameTap adds Deus Ex 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GameTap adds Deus Ex  (Read 3986 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: January 03, 2007, 03:25:42 PM

Just sayin'.  You can now investigate Uru and lie to your friends that you really subscribed for Sam + Max and Deus Ex.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 01:46:49 PM

Why hello thar.

One of my favorite indie games ever just got added to Gametap like 5 minutes ago.

Startopia.

ROCK.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 02:35:53 PM

Startopia... why is that ringing a bell?

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 02:36:43 PM

Startopia... why is that ringing a bell?
Space station sim-city like thing. I have it at home -- never did get a chance to play it for more than 20 minutes.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 05:44:28 PM

I believe the company that made it was founded by ex-Bullfrog members.  It's kind of like Dungeon Keeper, or Evil Genius, one of those "build a sickbay to attract more aliens" kind of games.  I thought it was pretty cool.  Combat sucked, but the rest of it was pretty fun stuff.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 06:47:29 PM

Hmm...I loved Theme Hospital (didn't like Theme Park as much). May try to find a copy of this.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 04:10:22 PM

Or play it on GameTap?  Why get out of your chair?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 07:25:32 PM

For $9.99 a month when I can buy it for like $7 on Amazon?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 07:31:48 PM

/shrug

This is clearly well within the realm of personal preference.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 07:36:21 PM

If I was playing other games on GameTap on a regular basis I would do it. But since this would be the only game and I tend to play games on and off, it would end up costing me $50 or more just to play that game.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 07:59:39 PM

I assumed so; if you look at the base economics you will note a relatively large surcharge on a per-game basis.  Me, I have several things on GameTap that interest me (whether I play them or not), such as Sam & Max, Planescape, maybe even X-COM, and of course the JumpStart games which are easily worth $10 a month to avoid the terrible disc-read performance you encounter from the CD version... this is with any children's edutainment, from my experience, so I'm not singling out that series.  I will agree that it isn't the most economical way to enjoy these games, but I am willing to pay the surcharge for convenience due to the high value of my time.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 02:19:09 PM

I assumed so; if you look at the base economics you will note a relatively large surcharge on a per-game basis.  Me, I have several things on GameTap that interest me (whether I play them or not), such as Sam & Max, Planescape, maybe even X-COM, and of course the JumpStart games which are easily worth $10 a month to avoid the terrible disc-read performance you encounter from the CD version... this is with any children's edutainment, from my experience, so I'm not singling out that series.  I will agree that it isn't the most economical way to enjoy these games, but I am willing to pay the surcharge for convenience due to the high value of my time.
If Gametap's version of X-Com works on modern PC's, I'd probably pay just to get access to that.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 07:18:20 AM

Of course it does.  Works fine on my XP SP2 install.  They even have manuals in PDF form for most retro games.  I have not found anything that failed to work properly.  Even Space Quest runs fine, and at normal speed, too.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 12:56:29 PM

Of course it does.  Works fine on my XP SP2 install.  They even have manuals in PDF form for most retro games.  I have not found anything that failed to work properly.  Even Space Quest runs fine, and at normal speed, too.
By "works fine" I mean "plays at a normal speed". I have XCom, and I hate using CPU-throttlers to play it.

Still...Space Quest makes my ears perk up. Too bad they don't have Star Flight and Star Flight 2.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 01:01:06 PM

I don't recall the exact speed of gameplay, but it's not at all like when you run something raw in DOSBox.  Space Quest, I do recall that works at just the right speed, or perhaps agonizingly slow depending on how you look at it.  Avatars back then were slooooooow.

If you want, I can do some actual research, like play the X-COM for a little bit.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: GameTap adds Deus Ex  
Jump to: