Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:32:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Can't Play Planescape: Torment 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't Play Planescape: Torment  (Read 7839 times)
Xerapis
Contributor

on: March 26, 2005, 11:41:44 PM

Okay, so I finally picked up a copy of Planescape: Torment. I had played it on a friend's computer many years ago, but finally gave into the urge to have my own copy and play through again.

Ran into a little problem. When I try to start the game, I encounter an error: An assertion failed in F:/Torment/Source/Chitin/Chdimm.cpp at line 787.

I have installed the latest patch. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game numerous times. Still no joy.

An unhelpful google search turned up that the Interplay site used to have the solution to this problem. Of course, it is no more.

Anyone able to help me?

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 11:52:05 PM

Is it safe to assume you have Service Pack 2 installed? I wouldn't be surprised if it can't run under that.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 12:02:52 AM

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 03:04:34 AM

If google list it you can follow the link to its cache to read what was written.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 01:28:42 PM

Yes, I have service pack 2 installed. The little information I managed to find that was pertinent did seem to indicate that this might be the problem. But it also  implied that there might be a work-around of some sort.

Help me, f13 community. You are my only hope  :mrgreen:

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 04:27:09 PM

Service Packs are for suckers!

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 04:32:27 PM

Windows is for suckers!

OS/2 Warp 4tehwin!
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 04:36:25 PM

Windows is for suckers!

OS/2 Warp 4tehwin!

OS/2 Warp fucking owned... That is, if you didn't care about having fun with your computer.

Really wish I could help you Xerapis, everyone should/deserve to play Planescape Torment.

Wiiiiii!
Strazos

Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 05:58:59 PM

I can't see why SP2 would fuck with the install...

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 06:02:27 PM

Freedom Force 1 wouldn't work under SP2 either. I can only assume, given the nature of the games that there's some part of it that conflicts with a resouce.
Strazos

Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 06:09:57 PM

Again...SP's are for suckahs.

I have no SP's on my XP Pro install...and I have no problems (something about my key being a duplicate...).

M$'s patches break as many things as they fix.

Fear the Backstab!
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 06:11:25 PM

I have no SP's on my XP Pro install...and I have no problems (something about my key being a duplicate...).

Shouldn't that sort of post be on slashdot?

Maybe your box can run Linux. MAYBE MY SONY PSP CAN RUN LINUX!  :-D
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 06:18:58 PM

I uninstalled service pack 2.

It still won't run. Exact same error message.

~goes fetal in a dark corner~

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 06:28:11 PM

It's a pity.  It was a really good game... one of my favourites.  The only advice I can think of is:  Don't Panic.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Strazos

Reply #14 on: March 27, 2005, 06:51:01 PM

Or, reinstall Windows and don't download the SP's.

Fear the Backstab!
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 27, 2005, 07:35:43 PM

I've only gone up to SP1, that seems to pretty much be harmless at this point.  SP2 is a whole other matter, though.

But really, as long as you're a competent computer user and have got a router I wouldn't be too concerned.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: March 27, 2005, 07:41:03 PM

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #17 on: March 27, 2005, 08:44:34 PM

I am the most evil wizard in all the realms!

Translation from the original Xerapish: I got it to work. WITH service park 2!

Many thanks to Trippy for his most excellent linkage-fu. While those websites did not have the answer spelled out, they did give me the necessary clues to conduct the necessary file moves and editing of torment.ini

You may all return to your regularly scheduled board-surfing, already in progress  :mrgreen:

schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: March 27, 2005, 09:05:59 PM

Post what you did here man. I know one day we'll all want to play it again.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005, 01:22:59 AM

Manually copy all files from all cds to one directory...in my case C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment

Execute the install file, installing the game to the same directory.

Edit the torment.ini file to show all the file locations for each cd...in my case

[Alias]
HD0:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment
CD1:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment
CD2:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment
CD3:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment
CD4:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment

Enter it exactly as above. The HD0 MUST be at the top or it might still try to prompt you for a cd to be inserted into your hard drive.

The lines above will have no initial value, with the exception of the HD0 line which will be correct, but will be at the bottom of the list. These lines are at the very top of the torment.ini file. The CD lines will just have "CD" with no number or other value folllowing. Just number them and give the location you saved all the files to.

Good to Go.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Can't Play Planescape: Torment  
Jump to: